SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

sedati

All Jedi are trained in the basics but many have special skills that come easier to them. Others may be able to achieve those powers, but will require focus.

doctornick

The show is plodding alone. Reveal was nothing special as it was who I had guessed before but I did think he at least seemed to have some sensible motivation. Curious if we learn more about his origins and how he learned to use the Force (and if he is a "known" previously mentioned Sith).

Very disappointed in Jecki dying as she was a high point in this series and I was looking forward to the show featuring her more. I was even a bit sad with losing Yord - he seemed more engaging than Mae/Osha honestly.

I guess that is what is kinda come down for me. It's not that the show is bad, but I feel like there are some actual different interesting things going on that would be fun to see a show about. I can't believe they had a Wookiee Jedi and didn't even feature him in any real way. Such a waste.

The whole twin dynamic just is kinda overplayed and not very well executed here. I hope there is some real payoff in terms what what happened with the fire/witches/etc and explains why the one Jedi was willing to commit suicide, but given past Disney+ shows I'm not optimistic. Very few have effectively "stuck the landing".

Last edited:

C33Mom

The show is plodding alone. Reveal was nothing special as it was whole I had guessed before but I did think he at least seemed to have some sensible motivation. Curious if we learn more about his origins and how he learned to use the Force (and if he is a "known" previously mentioned Sith).

Very disappointed in Jecki dying as she was a high point in this series and I was looking forward to the show featuring her more. I was even a bit sad with losing Yord - he seemed more engaging than Mae/Osha honestly.

I guess that is what is kinda come down for me. It's not that the show is bad, but I feel like there are some actual different interesting things going on that would be fun to see a show about. I can't believe they had a Wookiee Jedi and didn't even feature him in any real way. Such a waste.

The whole twin dynamic just is kinda overplayed and not very well executed here. I hope there is some real payoff in terms what what happened with the fire/witches/etc and explains why the one Jedi was willing to commit suicide, but given past Disney+ shows I'm not optimistic. Very few have effectively "stuck the landing".
I agree with all of this, except I would put Yord/Osha/Mae all as equally meh. Jecki seemed both the most likeable (and closest to the ANH/ESB idea of what a Jedi knight should be), and I really wanted more Jedi wookie action sequences and maybe character development.

Depending on how they wrap up loose ends, I think my final verdict could be anywhere from “actually quite good but I didn’t really enjoy it” to “a disappointing tale of mostly unlikeable characters” — aside from being a SW fan generally, I’m absolutely not the specific demo for this show (I thought Rogue One was too dark to be enjoyable) but I can still appreciate that it may be capable of adding texture and variety to the SW universe. No matter what happens, it’s unlikely to offend me more than killing off Han Solo (like an optimistic schmuck) did.

erasure fan1

Depending on how they wrap up loose ends, I think my final verdict could be anywhere from “actually quite good but I didn’t really enjoy it” to “a disappointing tale of mostly unlikeable characters”
That's really where I'm at as well. If the last few episodes are great, and the ending is great, I can look past a lot of the flaws. For all its flaws, I left the theater after watching phantom menace pretty positive. I had issues with Jar Jar, young Anakin, Yippie! Nightmare fuel yoda. Lol. But that ending stuck with me. Quigon, obiwan, maul, Williams score... I had to see it again.

The second time I liked it more because I was able to look past some of those things because I already knew it was coming so it wasn't as jarring. I think the same can be said for the acolyte. If it ends strong, I'll go back and watch binge style. That way I can bet things like the chant, some of the dialogue... won't be so bothersome. I'd bet the show would flow a bit better not having to wait a week for each episode. I mean 4&5 was one larger episode split in two.

So I think a lot is riding on this ending for the legacy of this show. I don't think will ever hit the upper echelon of star wars, there's just too many issues. But with a solid finish, it can be a worthy show that tells a interesting side story in the universe. Unfortunately it could also go the opposite way with a bad ending.

Last edited:

sedati

A slow episode, but I expected as much after last week. I like the dual interactions. Vanestra may have emerged as more suspicious than Sol or Qimir.

I love that they gave us multiple ways of telling the twins apart and Sol didn't need any of them.

Last edited:

C33Mom

A slow episode, but I expected as much after last week. I like the dual interactions. Vanestra may have emerged as more suspicious than Sol or Qimir.
I think all 3 of them seemed even more suspicious by the end of the episode. Unless the episodes get a lot longer, I genuinely don’t know how they can do the other perspective of what happened on Brendok and wrap up even 90% of the loose ends in 2 episodes…I’m hoping we only get Sol’s (acccurate?) retelling and don’t get a whole episode from Mae’s perspective only to then get Sol’a after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom