SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Phroobar

You guys are very different from what I read on the Star Wars fan sites. All they want is a well written story. We got that in Andor and Rogue One. This one feels like a draft and really needed some editing and revisioning. There are just a lot of editorial and continuity mistakes within it's own story.

I think a lot of Star Wars fans are scared that Disney might say "screw it" and put Star Wars on hiatus much like they did with the Muppets. There would be no more flow of collectibles or stories.

If we look at Star Trek, every odd number movie & Nemesis is considered a failure. (except The Motion Picture). Even the tv shows weren't all loved as much as OTS or TNG. I remember a lot of hate for the first couple of seasons of Enterprise, Picard and Discovery. Even Deep Space Nine started pretty slowly. (Babylon 5 was better.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Qui-Gon Jinn didn't make it.
iu
Which was shocking at the time…because it has never happened.

Now they bother to have them get offed in 30 seconds and we don’t even know their names

It’s getting tired

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You guys are very different from what I read on the Star Wars fan sites. All they want is a well written story.
that’s all they…we…ever wanted. Since the 1980’s. The “hate network” is an excuse to run interference over this reality
We got that in Andor and Rogue One.
that’s why they’re the only things really getting any fan love/developing legs

This one feels like a draft and really needed some editing and revisioning. There are just a lot of editorial and continuity mistakes within it's own story.
they’re all like this. Considering how much money they are dumping…how can you shoot bad stories/characters?

I think a lot of Star Wars fans are scared that Disney might say "screw it" and put Star Wars on hiatus much like they did with the Muppets. There would be no more flow of collectibles or stories.
That certainly is in the back of the mind for many

If we look at Star Trek, every odd number movie & Nemesis is considered a failure. (except The Motion Picture). Even the tv shows weren't all loved as much as OTS or TNG. I remember a lot of hate for the first couple of seasons of Enterprise, Picard and Discovery. Even Deep Space Nine started pretty slowly. (Babylon 5 was better.)
They flooded the zone…too much. But even that aside…some of that - ds9 in particular - had some brilliant writing and acting performances. Still holds up…which is amazing for 30 year old sci fi

What Disney is doing isn’t close

Agree about B5 too

erasure fan1

To be fair, theatrical is on hiatus. If, and it's a big if, we get a film, it won't be until 26 at the earliest most likely. That's 7yrs, definitely hiatus status in my book.

I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind if the shows went on hiatus. There will still be plenty of merchandise for fans that want it. You just won't get that kick from a film or show. But aside from Mando, we haven't seen a huge uptick in merch from either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I have learned from this show is... the Jedi are really bad at sensing the Sith... in prior shows it was talked about how Palpatine was able to hide from the Jedi... yet this seems like a pretty common occurance now.

Sensing people is really... uneven :)

I think that is maybe the key missing ingredient of the last 25 years

Prior they were wise/powerful space wizards…

Since 1999 theyve been buffoons…the key stone cops from Uranus

Phroobar

To be fair, theatrical is on hiatus. If, and it's a big if, we get a film, it won't be until 26 at the earliest most likely. That's 7yrs, definitely hiatus status in my book.

I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind if the shows went on hiatus. There will still be plenty of merchandise for fans that want it. You just won't get that kick from a film or show. But aside from Mando, we haven't seen a huge uptick in merch from either.
Merch is made for each tv show. It just isn't sold at retail brick & mortar stores anymore. It's all online. It pretty much goes on clearance fairly quickly. Obiwan stuff is at half retail and Ashoka is heading that direction too. Acolyte has about eight figures in all three lines. Smile-o Ren's mask was just announced for preorder. They are due in September and should be heavily discounted by the new year. I could use some dead Jedi for my Battle of Geonsis diorama.

erasure fan1

Merch is made for each tv show. It just isn't sold at retail brick & mortar stores anymore. It's all online. It pretty much goes on clearance fairly quickly. Obiwan stuff is at half retail and Ashoka is heading that direction too. Acolyte has about eight figures in all three lines. Smile-o Ren's mask was just announced for preorder. They are due in September and should be heavily discounted by the new year. I could use some dead Jedi for my Battle of Geonsis diorama.
That's really my point. I don't think the fans will care if the shows go away for a while. That merch didn't really do all that much. It's still the OT and some prequel that still sells. So even if there's nothing going on theatrical or D+, the same things will be still selling.

BrianLo

That's kind of how I've felt about the whole show so far. Parts I say this could be interesting. Then a bit later it's, what were they thinking? It's all going to come down to the ending and how satisfying it is. At least for me anyway.

I think we’re all on the same page here. It’s still just skirting middle of the road and all the hyperbolic stuff on either end is overstated.

I’m kind of like will I rate the final series a 6/10 or 7/10. TBD.

BrianLo

I don’t think there is any risk of the series going away entirely for a while like Trek. Disney is still pulling in way too much viewership even for the bad stuff to let the entire franchise sit dormant. But there will be lots of waxing and waning of how much we see.

They’ll keep poking around the edges searching for their next Mando.

I also feel like the Feloni team up series is inevitable? Ahsoka, Luke, Djin, Bobba (plus various friends) versus Thrawn or some other big bad. I assume people would show up for that.

C33Mom

What I have learned from this show is... the Jedi are really bad at sensing the Sith... in prior shows it was talked about how Palpatine was able to hide from the Jedi... yet this seems like a pretty common occurance now.

Sensing people is really... uneven :)
Ok, but that seems consistent with what we knew from the original trilogy (I elaborate below)
I think that is maybe the key missing ingredient of the last 25 years

Prior they were wise/powerful space wizards…

Since 1999 theyve been buffoons…the key stone cops from Uranus
Were they really wise/powerful space wizards though? Sure they were stoic and they had some great new age philosophy one liners…but they were hunted to extinction— which to me has always suggested that they were either not so bright or not so great at strategy. We were exposed to the crafty remnant that somehow survived, not the replacement level Jedi— easy to imagine how a bunch of Yords, Dookus, et al. were able to be defeated by a handful of cunning Sith (who are also a bit keystone coppy, TBH).
That's really my point. I don't think the fans will care if the shows go away for a while. That merch didn't really do all that much. It's still the OT and some prequel that still sells. So even if there's nothing going on theatrical or D+, the same things will be still selling.
I think most SW fans enjoy at least some of the recent stuff (Andor, Mando, BoBF, Ashoka, Acolyte) and many of us really like some of it but don’t care for other recent stuff at all. I think the SW universe is big enough to offer different things to different fan bases and I’d rather get some good, some decent, some garbage than nothing at all or only stuff that’s so safe it doesn’t risk offending anyone ever. Do you have any evidence for the claim that “that merch didn’t really do all that well” for the Mandalorian series? I see Grogu/Mando stuff everywhere in the U.S. parks (being worn/carried more than I see it being sold) and a decent smattering of Ashoka stuff as well. I think I’ve seen more merch for both shows individually than I have for anything from the prequels collectively…though Darth Vader appears to be the king of merch based on prevalence in the parks, followed by a combination of Leia/Han/Chewbacca/Yoda/Rey/KyloRen (specific order seems to vary by day/season/event).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, but that seems consistent with what we knew from the original trilogy (I elaborate below)

Were they really wise/powerful space wizards though? Sure they were stoic and they had some great new age philosophy one liners…but they were hunted to extinction— which to me has always suggested that they were either not so bright or not so great at strategy. We were exposed to the crafty remnant that somehow survived, not the replacement level Jedi— easy to imagine how a bunch of Yords, Dookus, et al. were able to be defeated by a handful of cunning Sith (who are also a bit keystone coppy, TBH).

I think most SW fans enjoy at least some of the recent stuff (Andor, Mando, BoBF, Ashoka, Acolyte) and many of us really like some of it but don’t care for other recent stuff at all. I think the SW universe is big enough to offer different things to different fan bases and I’d rather get some good, some decent, some garbage than nothing at all or only stuff that’s so safe it doesn’t risk offending anyone ever. Do you have any evidence for the claim that “that merch didn’t really do all that well” for the Mandalorian series? I see Grogu/Mando stuff everywhere in the U.S. parks (being worn/carried more than I see it being sold) and a decent smattering of Ashoka stuff as well. I think I’ve seen more merch for both shows individually than I have for anything from the prequels collectively…though Darth Vader appears to be the king of merch based on prevalence in the parks, followed by a combination of Leia/Han/Chewbacca/Yoda/Rey/KyloRen (specific order seems to vary by day/season/event).

I think the hunt to extinction needed to be far more intelligent than what they portrayed to be true to the mythos

That’s George’s fault…to try to keep everything in some 1980 misguided focus on merchandising

Disney has unfortunately run with that.

Jedi shows up, flash of light, dead. Over and over again. They just killed the most interesting one of the new show with some bizarre “hidden knife trick”.

It’s so low mental rent.

As far as product goes. I’ve said a few times that I have some longterm buds who work for a major…probably the major…producer of licensed LFL product.

The old stuff sells…the Disney stuff has almost ZERO demand in comparison. The prequel stuff has very little draw.

The material just was never that compelling.

C33Mom

I think the hunt to extinction needed to be far more intelligent than what they portrayed to be true to the mythos

That’s George’s fault…to try to keep everything in some 1980 misguided focus on merchandising

Disney has unfortunately run with that.

Jedi shows up, flash of light, dead. Over and over again. They just killed the most interesting one of the new show with some bizarre “hidden knife trick”.

It’s so low mental rent.
For the record, I completely agree with you that the “hunt to extinction” and a lot of specifics of the downfall of the Jedi order should have been done much better and I really don’t have much positive to say for the prequels, though I think Lucas nailed the politics of the rise of totalitarian fascism (even if he screwed up the acting and dialogue).

It seems that with most of the TV series they put even less effort into making us want to connect with the main characters before randomly killing them off….and when they do spend time on character development (Obi Wan, Boba Fett, Sabine), it often made me like them less.

On a lighter note, I absolutely love watching most of the Lego Star Wars stuff with my kids.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the record, I completely agree with you that the “hunt to extinction” and a lot of specifics of the downfall of the Jedi order should have been done much better and I really don’t have much positive to say for the prequels, though I think Lucas nailed the politics of the rise of totalitarian fascism (even if he screwed up the acting and dialogue).

It seems that with most of the TV series they put even less effort into making us want to connect with the main characters before randomly killing them off….and when they do spend time on character development (Obi Wan, Boba Fett, Sabine), it often made me like them less.

On a lighter note, I absolutely love watching most of the Lego Star Wars stuff with my kids.

The problem with limited series is that they have no time for character development

Combine that with the game of thrones driven “shock and awe” moments and this is what you get.

You don’t care…they do death designed to get talk on tiktok or muskchat…
It has no soul.

Star Wars really belongs in theaters. That’s my takeaway

Phroobar

The problem with limited series is that they have no time for character development

Combine that with the game of thrones driven “shock and awe” moments and this is what you get.

It has no soul.

They have four to eight hours to come up with character development in these types of shows. Movies are only two hours or so. Movies make character development in ten to twenty minutes. Why do these things have to drudge on?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have four to eight hours to come up with character development in these types of shows. Movies are only two hours or so. Movies make character development in ten to twenty minutes. Why do these things have to drudge on?
Movies follow a set structure that has been proven over a 100 years

Now granted Hollywood sucks at it now…but I digress

sedati

Just found out the professional knicker-twisters took issue with the saber haircut. My own reaction to that scene was glee at the fact that they finally found a way to fit a tried-and-true fantasy trope and make it Star Wars.

Is it a good disguise, probably not. So many of the complainers about SUbvErTinG EXpecTatiONs take everything so literally and lack the patience to see how things pan out. Also, didn't they have an actual FUNERAL FOR STAR WARS? Why are they not only still watching, but watching so fast and posting so immediately that after my viewing YouTube was already smeared with dozens of their excretions (granted, most are just immediately posting a live reaction with chat (and super-chats) but it seems too fast to have made their goofy little thumbnails in time (unless they were made before hand)

I try to avoid spoilers and avoid any reactions until I can watch the show. Mentally, I always sort of tell myself, "I'm about to watch a new Star Wars" which, as someone who remembers all the dark times when there was no new Star Wars, gets me excited and puts me into the headspace of the child who first saw the original film on its original release (I was four- it's literally my oldest memory). This is why I like the little opening fanfare they created for the shows as it gives us a moment to prepare by recognizing the old, the new, and what's to come.

If watching alone, I'll try first to talk with friends and there are a few reactors I'll watch during the week and yes, they are mostly positive. Easter-egg videos are the best as they will round out the experience with details and deep lore (it's also fun when I know something they didn't or even catch a mistake.) Sites like this and other social media is where the negativity eventually seeps in.

I've watched all the live-action shows two or more times and consistently enjoy them more and more each time. What surprises me is that while I'll recognize the weaknesses, I often find that the negative discourse has successfully affected my own perception and I'm shocked at how overblown the issues are- usually just a fraction of the overall content and never enough to spoil the whole. What I usually gain is a better appreciation for the craft, little details, world-building, and long-form storytelling.

That's how I watch. How about you?

sedati

It has no soul.

YES! A limited series between four and six hours is no time to develop character, but a two hour movie- chefs kiss!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just found out the professional knicker-twisters took issue with the saber haircut. My own reaction to that scene was glee at the fact that they finally found a way to fit a tried-and-true fantasy trope and make it Star Wars.

Is it a good disguise, probably not. So many of the complainers about SUbvErTinG EXpecTatiONs take everything so literally and lack the patience to see how things pan out. Also, didn't they have an actual FUNERAL FOR STAR WARS? Why are they not only still watching, but watching so fast and posting so immediately that after my viewing YouTube was already smeared with dozens of their excretions (granted, most are just immediately posting a live reaction with chat (and super-chats) but it seems too fast to have made their goofy little thumbnails in time (unless they were made before hand)

I try to avoid spoilers and avoid any reactions until I can watch the show. Mentally, I always sort of tell myself, "I'm about to watch a new Star Wars" which, as someone who remembers all the dark times when there was no new Star Wars, gets me excited and puts me into the headspace of the child who first saw the original film on its original release (I was four- it's literally my oldest memory). This is why I like the little opening fanfare they created for the shows as it gives us a moment to prepare by recognizing the old, the new, and what's to come.

If watching alone, I'll try first to talk with friends and there are a few reactors I'll watch during the week and yes, they are mostly positive. Easter-egg videos are the best as they will round out the experience with details and deep lore (it's also fun when I know something they didn't or even catch a mistake.) Sites like this and other social media is where the negativity eventually seeps in.

I've watched all the live-action shows two or more times and consistently enjoy them more and more each time. What surprises me is that while I'll recognize the weaknesses, I often find that the negative discourse has successfully affected my own perception and I'm shocked at how overblown the issues are- usually just a fraction of the overall content and never enough to spoil the whole. What I usually gain is a better appreciation for the craft, little details, world-building, and long-form storytelling.

That's how I watch. How about you?
The haircut wasn’t the problem

The 101% STUPID parent trap switcheroo was.

Way to go for shiny object on the bottom of the tree 🎄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom