SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Dude…keep making it more silly in your head to run interference for the parent company

Days of our lives didn’t generate $100,000,000,000 in licensed product for decades
Not everything has to be a battle. Also for the last time, I'm not running interference for anything I'm stating something factual. Star Wars has been since day one a space opera, ie a soap opera in space. George literally called it a family soap opera back in 2015. So if you have a problem with that, please take it up with George.

If you want me to get more critical, sure the dialog on almost all Star Wars is clunky at best which I blame on the writers including George. The acting can be seen as stiff, but I blame that on the directors including George rather than the actors. However I like things overall so I look past the flaws.

lazyboy97o

I know, the three lightsaber jabs through her thorax though. It wasn’t ambiguous. 🥲
She was an alien. Those important organs might be elsewhere.

Its true, a character can be literally dead and "somehow" be back 👍
He wasn’t talking about fictional characters. Real people survive being shot and stabbed. Phineas Gage famously survived an iron rod going through his skull in 1848.

Wendy Pleakley

Not everything has to be a battle. Also for the last time, I'm not running interference for anything I'm stating something factual. Star Wars has been since day one a space opera, ie a soap opera in space. George literally called it a family soap opera back in 2015. So if you have a problem with that, please take it up with George.

If you want me to get more critical, sure the dialog on almost all Star Wars is clunky at best which I blame on the writers including George. The acting can be seen as stiff, but I blame that on the directors including George rather than the actors. However I like things overall so I look past the flaws.

People have such a deep and far reaching appreciation for Star Wars that it has perhaps become so legendary in their minds that they have perpetual unrealistic expectations that every thing Star Wars must be a masterpeice.

Not that it doesn't deserve to be beloved, but the good stuff does hide some of those elements like clunky dialogue. Heck, much of Return of the Jedi is flat out awful but those childhood nostalgia goggles blind people.

The Acolyte is a decently entertaining installment. The fight scenes in the last episode were fun and the episode kept up a good pace from start to finish.

Some people won't accept anything that isn't another Empire Strikes Back in terms of quality and engagement.

George Lucas couldn't make consistently crowd pleasing Star Wars movies, yet the armchair quarterbacks who don't love the Acolyte or other shows seem genuinely baffled as to why every Star Wars installment isn't another classic.

I'm thankful we're getting Star Wars content that is generally well done.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People have such a deep and far reaching appreciation for Star Wars that it has perhaps become so legendary in their minds that they have perpetual unrealistic expectations that every thing Star Wars must be a masterpeice.

Not that it doesn't deserve to be beloved, but the good stuff does hide some of those elements like clunky dialogue. Heck, much of Return of the Jedi is flat out awful but those childhood nostalgia goggles blind people.

The Acolyte is a decently entertaining installment. The fight scenes in the last episode were fun and the episode kept up a good pace from start to finish.

Some people won't accept anything that isn't another Empire Strikes Back in terms of quality and engagement.

George Lucas couldn't make consistently crowd pleasing Star Wars movies, yet the armchair quarterbacks who don't love the Acolyte or other shows seem genuinely baffled as to why every Star Wars installment isn't another classic.

I'm thankful we're getting Star Wars content that is generally well done.
They can continue to make content with no concern from where it came from. More power to them.

Less and less will care…it will die on the vine.

The high cost of low expectations

Disstevefan1

She was an alien. Those important organs might be elsewhere.

He wasn’t talking about fictional characters. Real people survive being shot and stabbed. Phineas Gage famously survived an iron rod going through his skull in 1848.
And in theory, lets say you get stabbed by a lightsaber and it misses major organs the lightsaber instantly cauterizes the wound.

Its fun to discuss. I am not a die hard Star Wars fan either way.

My only opinion is Disney could have done a better job of transitioning from Luke, Leia, Han to the new characters.
It seems like a no brainer to transition from old to new with dignity for the original fans (and their kids). Its too late now, the damage is done.

erasure fan1

I find it’s funny why people get stuck on this one past depiction. You can certainly also get shot or stabbed and live. Based on the depiction of where that character was stabbed with a saber it is very plausible to live, especially since it provides cautery. And it’s a fantasy world with advance tech, medical advancement demonstrated through cloning and revivification goo.

But I think they wanted to send the message - “she dead” loud and clear on this one. 😭
I think people get stuck on it, including myself, is not because it could never happen. Sure it could happen. Up until now we've only it happen in a animated film. Now all of a sudden we've seen it 3 or 4 times in just over a yearish? It just kind of seems like they are using it too conveniently. You have to admit it is kind of funny.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think people get stuck on it, including myself, is not because it could never happen. Sure it could happen. Up until now we've only it happen in a animated film. Now all of a sudden we've seen it 3 or 4 times in just over a yearish? It just kind of seems like they are using it too conveniently. You have to admit it is kind of funny.
Back from the dead is just lazy storytelling

Because you don’t have to write new characters to fill the void

Wendy Pleakley

It might be overdone, but it's also not exclusive to Star Wars.

Main characters in horror movies for example will survive multiple stab wounds that minor characters don't.

I'm not a fan of unrealistic survival scenarios that take one out of a show, but plot armour is very common.

It's not even dissimilar to other story points that occur because the movie wants them to. How convenient that the original Avengers survived the Thanos snap, for example, so that Endgame could focus on the OG heroes.

It's also slightly bemusing to debate whether or not one could survive being impaled by a lightsaber, something that does not actually exist.

erasure fan1

It might be overdone, but it's also not exclusive to Star Wars.

Main characters in horror movies for example will survive multiple stab wounds that minor characters don't.
That's true. But that's kind of horror movie troup that gets called out and joked about all the time.
It's not even dissimilar to other story points that occur because the movie wants them to. How convenient that the original Avengers survived the Thanos snap, for example, so that Endgame could focus on the OG heroes.
True as well. You can't forget the time travel. That's a good one too. I'm not saying it is some unique thing to star wars. It's just kind of funny they've done it a bunch recently. Heck, twice in one show. Lol

BrianLo

I'm literally not even sure when it has happened. Let me betray how loose my knowledge is despite having watched most of this stuff. It has happened 3-4 times in the past year alone?

I know there is Darth Maul, then Anakin (different than a lightsaber, but similarly poorly non-viable), Luke's hand. Then Rey heals someone in episode 9? What are the other instances I'm forgetting? Did Sabine get stabbed?

But good news is at least 6 Jedi were killed by lightsabers last episode, so it's not an Acolyte problem per say.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm literally not even sure when it has happened. Let me betray how loose my knowledge is despite having watched most of this stuff. It has happened 3-4 times in the past year alone?

I know there is Darth Maul, then Anakin (different than a lightsaber, but similarly poorly non-viable), Luke's hand. Then Rey heals someone in episode 9? What are the other instances I'm forgetting? Did Sabine get stabbed?

But good news is at least 6 Jedi were killed by lightsabers last episode, so it's not an Acolyte problem per say.
The emperor

Fennec Shand

Actually…they do it a lot

erasure fan1

The grand inquisitor, Reva as well
At least for right now. :p

Phroobar

The grand inquisitor, Reva as well

At least for right now. :p
Qui-Gon Jinn didn't make it.
iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom