SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Ghost93

That might have been you? He's been in several episodes now and had a ton of dialogue with all the players. Maybe because I know the actor, I kind of figured it was him once you could more visibly see his arms.

He was the top two pick for who we suspected it would be next to their mother.
I personally thought it would either be Carrie Ann Moss (who faked her death) or Osha's mother.

erasure fan1

I personally thought it would either be Carrie Ann Moss (who faked her death) or Osha's mother.
The Moss angle didn't cross my mind. I thought it was either one of the moms or the guy it turned out to be. I actually think the Moss idea would have been a better choice in my opinion. It was fairly obvious they wanted us to think it was the mom or her friend. So something that wasn't televised would have been good.

Ghost93

The Moss angle didn't cross my mind. I thought it was either one of the moms or the guy it turned out to be. I actually think the Moss idea would have been a better choice in my opinion. It was fairly obvious they wanted us to think it was the mom or her friend. So something that wasn't televised would have been good.
The Moss angle had less to do with the evidence presented in the show and more due to me thinking "surely they aren't going to waste Carrie Anne Moss on a 10-minute cameo! There MUST be bigger plans for her!"

I haven't followed the speculation and discourse online much (because it seems toxic) so I was admittedly surprised by the reveal of who the villain actually was.

erasure fan1

The Moss angle had less to do with the evidence presented in the show and more due to me thinking "surely they aren't going to waste Carrie Anne Moss on a 10-minute cameo! There MUST be bigger plans for her!"
Agreed. I just didn't think of her. Lol

That's exactly how I felt, it's gotta be something more. Maybe by the end of this whole thing it will be. But so far, not so much.

Wendy Pleakley

He made her the poison. It was through him that Osha and the Jedi found Mae. Then he was with Mae for most of the previous episode. They spent the whole time talking about her training and decision to abandon it.

I'll have to rewatch. The character struck me as fulfilling a purpose but not developed enough to the point where his identity was a big *gasp* moment.

If you're going to make the villain reveal happen in episode 5 and tease audiences with it, it sets a certain expectation.

One of the moms would have been a more traditional big villain twist, but also a cliche that the bad guys in Star Wars is always the long lost relative.

I agree that the "mom could do that line" was in there to be at least partially a fake out, and took the wind out of the sails of the true reveal to a degree.

But overall it's not a bad approach. I'll have to look at it again but it makes sense that the villain could be a somewhat innocuous person who is subtly directing things without being an overbearing presence.

lazyboy97o

I'll have to rewatch. The character struck me as fulfilling a purpose but not developed enough to the point where his identity was a big *gasp* moment.

If you're going to make the villain reveal happen in episode 5 and tease audiences with it, it sets a certain expectation.

One of the moms would have been a more traditional big villain twist, but also a cliche that the bad guys in Star Wars is always the long lost relative.

I agree that the "mom could do that line" was in there to be at least partially a fake out, and took the wind out of the sails of the true reveal to a degree.

But overall it's not a bad approach. I'll have to look at it again but it makes sense that the villain could be a somewhat innocuous person who is subtly directing things without being an overbearing presence.
I think there might have been more weight if we had seen something like this battle sooner. I’ve seen some comments about one guy taking out a team of Jedi but I don’t think that’s entirely ridiculous. There should be a reason that all of these Jedi are afraid of two people being out there in the entire galaxy. One guy who took out a whole team of Jedi is the sort of thing that should cause a panic, more than one person who took out two (really just one) people one-on-one.

I think a big issue I have with Star Wars, Marvel and a lot of other media right now is that I’m just rather sick of the mystery box. Everything has to have a mystery these days and then you get this dragging out without much development so it doesn’t really pay off. Go watch the original trilogy and there is no mystery. The Death Star is a mystery to the protagonists but the opening crawl tells the audience. There’s the big twist of Vader being Luke’s father but it’s not set up as a mystery with it really contradicting what came before as Anakin and Vader were actually two different people in the 70s.

erasure fan1

That's true. I think what didn't connect with me was there was a build up as to who this is. What's the big reveal? Oh, it's who we figured it probably was. It wasn't some terrible thing, but at the same time it was fairly anticlimactic.

So now will see how they retcon the sith have been extinct for a Millennia. Because there's no way 3 prominent Jedi don't remember this. Sol knows he's a sith because he tells him, you know me as sith. Or something like that. So he's obviously going to say something to the council, yoda...

sedati

She's been in two episodes and I would absolutely expect to see her again.

lazyboy97o

That's true. I think what didn't connect with me was there was a build up as to who this is. What's the big reveal? Oh, it's who we figured it probably was. It wasn't some terrible thing, but at the same time it was fairly anticlimactic.

So now will see how they retcon the sith have been extinct for a Millennia. Because there's no way 3 prominent Jedi don't remember this. Sol knows he's a sith because he tells him, you know me as sith. Or something like that. So he's obviously going to say something to the council, yoda...
This is the same universe where less than 20 years qualifies as “ancient”.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its a different view of course with the Jedi order presented as the current "correct" steward of whatever force abilities some might have. So what dichotomy are they trying to present ? Jedi bad, Sith good ? Force users Jedi playing chess with lots of rules, Witches playing Checkers because its a different set of rules, and Sith playing Dodge Ball, because in the end its all about winning however you can? No place in the government in this matter just they do things to keep civilization running and let the Force users slug it out to determine morality ?

I'll settle for the simplistic view: All are bad, each wanting everyone else to follow their lead. Call in the government, nuke them from orbit.

sedati

When the revealed character admonishes his pupil about not figuring it out, it’s not meant to be a shock.

When the revealed character has had more lines and screen time than all-time-fan-favorite Qi Adi Mundi, he’s not obscure.

There has to be great importance in how Osha defeated (almost) her opponent by not using a weapon, but also sacrificing her greatest attachment.

If Sol survives this show I think he goes to the dark side.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I think there might have been more weight if we had seen something like this battle sooner. I’ve seen some comments about one guy taking out a team of Jedi but I don’t think that’s entirely ridiculous. There should be a reason that all of these Jedi are afraid of two people being out there in the entire galaxy. One guy who took out a whole team of Jedi is the sort of thing that should cause a panic, more than one person who took out two (really just one) people one-on-one.

I think a big issue I have with Star Wars, Marvel and a lot of other media right now is that I’m just rather sick of the mystery box. Everything has to have a mystery these days and then you get this dragging out without much development so it doesn’t really pay off. Go watch the original trilogy and there is no mystery. The Death Star is a mystery to the protagonists but the opening crawl tells the audience. There’s the big twist of Vader being Luke’s father but it’s not set up as a mystery with it really contradicting what came before as Anakin and Vader were actually two different people in the 70s.

Star Wars has been a bit inconsistent in this regard. Palpatine takes out multiple Jedi in Revenge of the Sith so quickly that it makes no sense. Other times we see lightsaber duels that seem evenly matched.

What works is if the bad guy has an advantage because the dark side has more powers (finger lightening) and lack of morals.

We see that a bit here. Jedi focus on a civilized lightsaber battle. The villain has no problem force pulling an opponent onto a lightsaber, which feels like it would be out of bound for the Jedi. The villain had to problem with the aggressive attack at the end of the previous episode, the Jedi would calmly bring out their saber and establish a fight in that more refined approach.

Agree with the mystery box concept. It's often used as a lazy way to build suspense, and not always necessary. The Kylo Ren Solo reveal was fine because it wasn't dragged out and it wasn't portrayed as everyone asking "who is that?". In contrast, the Rey reveal was poorly handled because it was set up as a big question and then we had the answer from Last Jedi being contradicted by the "big" revelation in Rise.

CinematicFusion

House of Dragons holding its own with the fan reviews. Haven’t watched it yet but looking forward to it.
IMG_3278.jpeg

C33Mom

Sith dude was clear he plans to kill everybody who could reveal his identity. He’s already at least 75% of the way towards that goal, right? I just assumed that meant we were going to have a Rogue One style ending. It looked like Sol was making progress towards getting back but he has Mae (pretending to be Osha) onboard and she’s nuts.
There has to be great importance in how Osha defeated (almost) her opponent by not using a weapon, but also sacrificing her greatest attachment.

If Sol survives this show I think he goes to the dark side.
Interesting — I hadn’t appreciated that she was able to succeed where others failed by letting go of her attachment (theoretically the Jedi code but something we’ve see many Jedis violate so far in this series, especially Sol but also Torbin and the local politician Jedis).

I’ve thought Sol might go dark side (or already be dark side) since he already seems way too attached to people for a Jedi master—plus the suspicious failure to record all details of the witch fire incident we learn about in the very first episode.

erasure fan1

Sith dude was clear he plans to kill everybody who could reveal his identity. He’s already at least 75% of the way towards that goal, right? I just assumed that meant we were going to have a Rogue One style ending. It looked like Sol was making progress towards getting back but he has Mae (pretending to be Osha) onboard and she’s nuts.
Yes that's a good bet. What I'm more looking at is the fact that he's already killed maybe 7 Jedi? That's going to sound off a whole lot of alarms at the temple. There's no way Sol hasn't already contacted the council to let them know they're dealing with a sith and how many Jedi are gone. So unless Sol is secretly on the dark side and is hiding it, there's not a lot of options. My guess is they'll just ignore it and chalk it up to the time frames are always off a bit

C33Mom

Yes that's a good bet. What I'm more looking at is the fact that he's already killed maybe 7 Jedi? That's going to sound off a whole lot of alarms at the temple. There's no way Sol hasn't already contacted the council to let them know they're dealing with a sith and how many Jedi are gone. So unless Sol is secretly on the dark side and is hiding it, there's not a lot of options. My guess is they'll just ignore it and chalk it up to the time frames are always off a bit
I’m not convinced Sol has made contact (there could be some excuse it’s too sensitive to risk interception or whatever…or maybe telecom on that planet sucks—they weren’t able to reach/warn Kelnacca)— but I agree with you that at minimum (IIRC) Sol has already communicated that Mae was a force user killing Jedi, someone has trained her, and she doesn’t (didn’t) know who her master is. So even if he never makes it back alive, they knew there’s a hostile force user days and they sent what, 6-10 Jedi to confront Mae and none made it back alive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom