SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

erasure fan1

Although I will bring up again, even though you said you don't care, Fallout too was review bombed for various reasons by the game fan base including for casting a female in the lead role, it was even brought up on the IMDB forums -

https://community-imdb.sprinklr.com...l-for-review-bombing/66179245af613d1d06afbb64
Sorry I thought I quoted ths too. I remember the first info we received on fallout. I follow it fairly close because I'm a big gan of the series. Yes,with the first info that came out, you had a group of people hating on the fact that it was a female lead. Surprise surprise, a shock to no one. That died down pretty quick once we got the full trailer. Fans saw how well they nailed the vibe. then after the first episode, people were hooked. It's why I've said how important the first couple episodes are.

The reason I don't think it's a great rebuttal to what I've been saving, is that it doesn't hold up. If there's a group hell bent on destroying properties that star woman, minorities... And as you say, they tried with fallout, but they failed massively. The shows quality won out in the end. That's why I don't think it has the impact that some think.

That died down pretty quick once we got the full trailer.
no it absoultely didn't. It grew until the show was released and it was a hit. These rage bait youtube grifters only post more and stir up more anger. The only time they drop off if they aren't able to convince their own fanbase it sucks.

Same thing happened with X-men 97. HUGE outrage and backlash against saying it was woke complaining about how Disney censored Rogues butt (no really this was one of their complaints) then their fans watched it and really enjoyed it.

erasure fan1

no it absoultely didn't. It grew until the show was released and it was a hit. These rage bait youtube grifters only post more and stir up more anger.
It absolutely did. Normal fans, not rage bait grifters, saw the trailer and said, wow, it really looks good. I follow video games very closely. When the initial information hit, a lot of fans of the series thought, oh man, here we go again. And I actually blame Halo for that. It was such dumpster fire people just assumed the worst for fallout. They assumed, like Halo, it's just a bunch of pretenders who know nothing about the IP and just want to do what they want.

I watch and listen to many podcasts, I watch all the showcases and their related coverage. E3 used to be during when we go to Disney every year. I would take the time and watch the different presentations live. The only other community I interact with besides Disney, is video games. I can assure you, the vast majority of people got extremely excited once they got to see what the show actually was. Some were still skeptical until they saw the first episode, but that changed in a hurry.

So answer me this. You and others here keep trying to discredit what I'm saying. You and a few others keep saying fallout was getting review bombed, attacked by rage baiters... so you're wrong. How does saying any of that support that toxic rage baiters are destroying anything? That just supports what I'm saying, that they don't have as big of an overall influence as it's made out here. A quality piece of media will usually win out in the end.

So to bring it back to the acolyte, if it ends up being a quality show, the viewership and praise will come. And it won't matter what the grifters say. If it continues with the quality of the 3rd episode, it is going to struggle.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Than you haven't been listening to what I've been saying. I've always condemned the harassment. I've always said there is a group that hates Disney. Do I downplay it? I'd say yes. Because I don't believe it has as large of an effect as is made out. Some media, by the rules I've seen on here, shouldn't be successful. But they are and it's downplayed. but when it's not successful or taking heat, it's back to Twitter is killing star wars!
Except I'm not talking about the harassment issues in this case. I think we all, or hope we all, condemn that. If there are those here that don't condemn that, shame on them. But what we are talking about, or at least I was, is its affect on the viewership of content. And its the downplaying of that that I have an issue with. There is 100% a correlation between the review bombing and the lower viewership, of not only this show but other content out there. And that is 100% the goal of why the review bombing is happening. Because for some reason they think this is going to cause Disney/Lucas to change their mind on xyz or whatever their grievances are that week.

Why didn't people watch solo? White male lead, 3 hugely popular characters, big cameo at the end, great action sequences, compelling side characters. Yet it didn't resonate. Why isn't the hate mob blamed constantly for bringing it down? Same goes for rogue one on the other side. The mob hates diversity yet the most diverse film has the best track record from a huge amount of fans. It seems to only be a problem when people want to assign blame to something other than the creators.
I think there are a couple reasons including fans not ready to see their favorite character with a different actor play them so soon after the character died. Also if you look at the audience scores for Solo its at 63%, fairly in the middle, it wasn't really review bombed or at least not as heavily as other Star Wars content. To me this is about where this show would be if it wasn't review bombed.

Yes, they are doing it to bring down viewership numbers. And yes some people will make decisions based on these scores. But honestly, do you believe in your heart that it's enough to really bring down something like star wars? maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see it.
Yes I do, and is 100% of the reason why they are doing it. Now sometimes it succeed, and other times it doesn't, such as the case with Fallout.

There's a group here that constantly thows fans aren't happy unless it's a white male lead and is part of Skywalker Saga... And if you haven't said something like that, sorry. But I've heard it many times from the lucasfilm supporters, which I know you are part of. And that's fine that you are. That's why I said you guys.
Do I think that could be true, yes. But its not the only reasons why fans aren't happy. I've said for a long while now that the fandom isn't one monolithic thing, there is nuance in there. Some aren't happy because its not a continuation of the Skywalker Saga, some aren't happy because of what they perceive as being "woke" Star Wars, some aren't happy because of not legitimizing the EU and just going whole hog into those stories, some aren't happy because George sold LFL to Disney and will just hate everything, and a whole host of other reasons too numerous for us to talk about.

Here's where the big disconnect comes in. You can like what you like, I've said more times than I can remember, I like things that are considered bad. The difference is I'm not going to accuse people that they have some agenda because they don't agree with me. And that has been something that has happened with a whole group of posters on here.
Except I'm not doing that, so not sure why this is even brought up in a conversation with me. I have never once tried to label you or anyone as having an agenda. Maybe others have but that is not me. I give you the respect of not treating you like other posters here, and would hope you would give me the same.

I think what is happening is you're starting to confuse me with other posters and projecting your issues with them onto me.

The acolyte is getting hammered by the usual suspects. That should be no surprise to anyone. But there is a lot wrong with these first 3 episodes. Legitimate issues, not made up nonsense like, the twins have two moms, star wars can never recover! The 3rd episode wasn't great for me. Why? Because it did very little for the story overall. It would have worked so much better if it was part of the first episode. Or split between that and the 2nd. The threads not something you weild, 5 seconds later you're weilding it. The dramatic shot to show a completely stone fortress, only to have it burn down from a book being lit on fire? It goes on and on. You're just going to hand some random kid your lightsaber in a room willed with darkside witches? These are valid complaints, not just Mae and Osha are poc so star wars sucks!
I don't see the same issues as you do, but that is ok.

Oh and by the way, has no one thought that a fortress made of stone can burn because its not just fire but fire that has been set ablaze by the dark side magic (or thread or whatever you want to call it) which would make it hotter than normal fire. Not to mention there is real world documented evidence of fire damaging stone structures in real life.

We'll have to disagree on this one. Just a glance at both echo and fallouts imdb page tell a different story. Take the main cast of Echo. In the top cast you have all indigenous and a few white people in the top 25 or so. In fallout you have a much broader diversity set. Sure there's more white people as you say, but isn't the goal more representation? Fallout has at least 6 distinct diverse groups including transgender. Last I checked 6 is more than 2. So maybe our definition or what qualifies as diversity is different. But I'd say both shows are very diverse and are more than ok to compare. So it will have to be an agree to disagree on this one.
Yes we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and I have no problem with that.

Sorry I thought I quoted ths too. I remember the first info we received on fallout. I follow it fairly close because I'm a big gan of the series. Yes,with the first info that came out, you had a group of people hating on the fact that it was a female lead. Surprise surprise, a shock to no one. That died down pretty quick once we got the full trailer. Fans saw how well they nailed the vibe. then after the first episode, people were hooked. It's why I've said how important the first couple episodes are.

The reason I don't think it's a great rebuttal to what I've been saving, is that it doesn't hold up. If there's a group hell bent on destroying properties that star woman, minorities... And as you say, they tried with fallout, but they failed massively. The shows quality won out in the end. That's why I don't think it has the impact that some think.
Except this was happening after the show debuted. If you go look at the date of the IMDB community post I provided it was dated just after the show debuted. If it had "died down" as you said after the first trailer then there wouldn't have been a warning or a need to stop all reviews which was done on both RT and IMDB.

Now with that said, you could be right that the shows quality won out in the end. But that does not preclude that there was an effort to review bomb the show once it debuted. The major difference here being that that Star Wars fandom is larger and more motivated to see content review bombed into oblivion to affect viewership.

It absolutely did. Normal fans, not rage bait grifters, saw the trailer and said, wow, it really looks good.
if you are talking about normal people they were excited when the first round of photos came out.
You and a few others keep saying fallout was getting review bombed, attacked by rage baiters... so you're wrong.
I didn't say fallout was review bombed. I said the dominate stories about Fallout when the trailer came out was that it's woke. Which of course as people who have played Fallout have known it's always been woke.

CinematicFusion

no you haven't.

Very simple question why do YOU CinematicFusion, think that Samba has more accurate information about Disneyplus viewership then Disneyplus?
Yes, Samba TV does offer more detailed and transparent viewership data for consumers compared to Disney. While Disney does release some selective viewership statistics, such as the 14 million global viewers for the premiere of Ahsoka, they do not provide comprehensive data for all episodes or detailed breakdowns of viewership across different time periods. This selective reporting can make it difficult for consumers to get a full picture of a show’s performance.

Samba TV, on the other hand, provides independent metrics based on data collected from their 46 million enabled devices. This data includes specific household counts and timeframes, offering a clearer and more consistent snapshot of viewership trends. For example, Samba TV reported that the Ahsoka finale was watched by 863,000 U.S. households in the first six days, which highlights the drop in viewership from the premiere episode.

So… Yes, Samba TV’s independent and detailed reporting provides consumers with more reliable and comprehensive information about Disney+ viewership compared to Disney’s selective and less transparent data releases. Therefore, for a consumer seeking accurate and detailed viewership information, Samba TV would be a more reliable source.

Yes, Samba TV does offer more detailed and transparent viewership data for consumers compared to Disney.
explain how.
such as the 14 million global viewers for the premiere of Ahsoka
Disney has the correct number of viewers. How? Because to watch Ashoka you need to log into a Disney+ Account. No matter what the deivce Disney knows exactly how many people are watching, their name, credit card info, their location, their ISP, their email address, how long they watched, how many times they watched and on what device.

Samba can only give the numbers for the people who watched on a TV that has Samba on it and that people have accepted the terms of service.

Less then HALF of all people who watch a streaming show watch on a TV. Of those people it's even less then HALF of those who have Samba.

So again... how do you think Samba has better information about Disney shows then Disney?
Therefore, for a consumer seeking accurate and detailed viewership information, Samba TV would be a more reliable source.
oh ok we are just going to shift the goal post? I'm going to take this as you realizing what you said was wrong and want to save face. Got it. Concession accepted.

CinematicFusion

explain how.

Disney has the correct number of viewers. How? Because to watch Ashoka you need to log into a Disney+ Account. No matter what the deivce Disney knows exactly how many people are watching, their name, credit card info, their location, their ISP, their email address, how long they watched, how many times they watched and on what device.

Samba can only give the numbers for the people who watched on a TV that has Samba on it and that people have accepted the terms of service.

Less then HALF of all people who watch a streaming show watch on a TV. Of those people it's even less then HALF of those who have Samba.

So again... how do you think Samba has better information about Disney shows then Disney?

oh ok we are just going to shift the goal post? I'm going to take this as you realizing what you said was wrong and want to save face. Got it. Concession accepted.
Samba TV Viewership Numbers:

• Premiere Episode: 1.2 million U.S. households in the first six days.
• Second Episode: 956,000 U.S. households in the first six days.
• Final Episode: 863,000 U.S. households in the first six days.

Disney Viewership Numbers:

• Premiere and Second Episodes: Released simultaneously, Disney reported a combined 14 million global views in the first week for the premiere episode alone.

• Final Episode: [Insert Disney’s final episode viewership number here]

Can you provide the viewership numbers for each episode of “Ahsoka” as released by Disney? If Disney has comprehensive and accurate data, it would be helpful to see their reported numbers for comparison.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The take away for anyone discussing it is that the streamers have more comprehensive viewership numbers on their own services than a 3rd party does because its their service. They don't need to use a 3rd party like in the old linear days where there was no viewership numbers. They have all the metrics they need without having to use a 3rd party because they capture everything you do once you login.

The reason why a streamer like Disney would use a 3rd party for viewership is -

1. To get numbers out to the public without releasing all their own internal numbers, ie control the narrative.
2. To get information on the competition who use the same 3rd party service.

erasure fan1

or at least I was, is its affect on the viewership of content. And its the downplaying of that that I have an issue with. There is 100% a correlation between the review bombing and the lower viewership,
Well it can't be 100%. We know shows like fallout, peacemaker and Mando, and movies like rogue one show it's not 100%.
I think there are a couple reasons including fans not ready to see their favorite character with a different actor play them so soon after the character died. Also if you look at the audience scores for Solo its at 63%, fairly in the middle, it wasn't really review bombed or at least not as heavily as other Star Wars content. To me this is about where this show would be if it wasn't review bombed.
I agree with all of this. I was really just showing that it isn't always about giving fans the characters and time line they want. But you have to still make an engaging film.
Oh and by the way, has no one thought that a fortress made of stone can burn because its not just fire but fire that has been set ablaze by the dark side magic (or thread or whatever you want to call it) which would make it hotter than normal fire
Yes there obviously is something else going on. That's why I said the episode fell short. They didn't accomplish much of anything in it. We aren't really any better off than we started.
If you go look at the date of the IMDB community post I provided it was dated just after the show debuted. If it had "died down" as you said after the first trailer then there wouldn't have been a warning or a need to stop all reviews which was done on both RT and IMDB.
Again, the grifters gonna grift. I was talking about the overall fandom. You will never stop bombing or padding by the extreme on either side.
you could be right that the shows quality won out in the end. But that does not preclude that there was an effort to review bomb the show once it debuted.
I never said there wasn't. I got to see it first hand. What I also got to see was fans giving a sigh of relief that this looked nothing like Halo. And people started getting excited.
Except I'm not doing that, so not sure why this is even brought up in a conversation with me. I have never once tried to label you or anyone as having an agenda.
Sorry, I didn't mean you've said it. What I meant was, I wouldn't fault someone for not liking something that I do that's of questionable quality. The agenda thing has been said to me many times, I didn't mean to say you specifically, it was an example of something I wouldn't do.

Casper Gutman

So I thought the third episode was boring and kind of a disappointment after the first two episodes were at entertaining. I actually thought the opening scene was great - showing the difference between the sisters - before it devolved into some clunky dialogue and acting. The scenes with the coven were weird (if there is anything I’d say was “cringey” in the show, that would be it) and simultaneously didn’t really tell us much about them. I mean, I’m curious as to how they relate to the Night Sisters, et al but can’t really tell. Maybe more will be revealed but I felt like kind of needed more information now to be engaged.

I wasn’t happy with the portrayal of the Jedi (until Sol later in the episode). They came across as despotic and controlling which doesn’t really fit IMHO with past depictions. I’m fine with them being haughty, know it alls, having hubris but they never seemed overtly mean and this didn’t seem like they were there for “the better good” but more for to promote themselves. Seemed really off. I think I agree with an earlier post that it feels like is someone who doesn’t like real religions taking it out on the Jedi and added some degree of commentary there.

I guess we’ll see the real reason the witches died and what the Jedi did wrong that led the one guy to willingly kill himself. But I can’t say I really all care that much. I’m more just curious about Sol - this episode did make him more intriguing and likable - and his Padawan as well as finding out who the Sith(?) character is and how s/he connects to the greater SW story
The Jedi use the power of the state to take incredibly young children (children much too young to consent) away from their families forever, wiping out all emotional connections to those families. They’re going to look despotic unless the narrative goes to great lengths to obscure this fact, which earlier versions have tended to do. The truth is that the Jedi order, as created by Lucas, is a fundamentally broken organization. We’ve met one truly good Jedi, Luke, who rejected their teachings… and when he tried to adhere to strict Jedi rules it destroyed him. This is what Last Jedi was rightfully driving towards. Qui-Gon was a rebel who rejected much Jedi teaching. Rey and Obi-Wan were both taught by folks deeply disillusioned with the Jedi order.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well it can't be 100%. We know shows like fallout, peacemaker and Mando, and movies like rogue one show it's not 100%.
Yes it not all content wide, but that is the point. Some want to put this purely on quality of content, but it can be that both happen, that there is quality content that gets hate review bombed for just existing. I know its harder to accept and prove but it does happen.

I agree with all of this. I was really just showing that it isn't always about giving fans the characters and time line they want. But you have to still make an engaging film.
Well to me Solo was engaging overall. It was an interesting take on the character, I just think it was too soon for many fans to see another actor play Han.

Yes there obviously is something else going on. That's why I said the episode fell short. They didn't accomplish much of anything in it. We aren't really any better off than we started.
Welcome to the concept of a cliffhanger in episodic television. I'm not trying to be condescending but not every plot thread it wrapped up in a nice bow in one episode. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when this was standard, many have forgotten this is normal part of weekly television.

Again, the grifters gonna grift. I was talking about the overall fandom. You will never stop bombing or padding by the extreme on either side.
Except this isn't tubers stoking the flames, I never once mentioned them, I'm just looking at the pure review metrics. I couldn't care less what the latest vlogger is hate peddling.

I never said there wasn't. I got to see it first hand. What I also got to see was fans giving a sigh of relief that this looked nothing like Halo. And people started getting excited.
The data is there for everyone to see and interpret on their own. For me when I see the review comment sections of a show shutdown by the various sites it indicates review bombing.

Now does the mean the overall fandom is in discontent over the show, of course not. And maybe there was a sign of relief from the Fallout gaming community. It still does preclude there was an effort to review bomb the scores.

Sorry, I didn't mean you've said it. What I meant was, I wouldn't fault someone for not liking something that I do that's of questionable quality. The agenda thing has been said to me many times, I didn't mean to say you specifically, it was an example of something I wouldn't do.
And I wouldn't do it either, so just as you don't like to be lumped into a group please give me the same courtesy.

doctornick

The Jedi use the power of the state to take incredibly young children (children much too young to consent) away from their families forever, wiping out all emotional connections to those families. They’re going to look despotic unless the narrative goes to great lengths to obscure this fact, which earlier versions have tended to do. The truth is that the Jedi order, as created by Lucas, is a fundamentally broken organization. We’ve met one truly good Jedi, Luke, who rejected their teachings… and when he tried to adhere to strict Jedi rules it destroyed him. This is what Last Jedi was rightfully driving towards. Qui-Gon was a rebel who rejected much Jedi teaching. Rey and Obi-Wan were both taught by folks deeply disillusioned with the Jedi order.

To each their own, but that seems like a terribly cynical view and honestly not one I'm interested in. Sure, the Jedi order may have been portrayed as flawed but still fundamentally a force of good and benevolent. Young children where brought in but it has been portrayed as willingly both from the students and their families (more akin to a boarding school, not an abduction) and I don't think it was ever implied they would take children against anyone's will simply because they were Force sensitive.

And the removing connections was generally presented as a spiritual thing - by not having those connections than could cloud your views, a Jedi learner could more properly use the Force for overall benevolence and for the right reasons rather than having attachments that could lead to poor decisions (you know, like turning to the Dark Side and slaughtering younglings in an attempt to save a secret wife).

To me, The Last Jedi - which I really liked - showed that Luke rejected the Jedi teaching and became cynical but realized his rejection was wrong by the end of the movie and embraced the Jedi learning by the end. And Rey taking the journals to continue and build upon that learning didn't mean the Jedi were irredeemable at all - that she would use that past knowledge to rebuild the order. In the last (flawed) movie you still have Rey training to be a Jedi with Leia.

I'm pretty okay with Disney Star Wars, but if their goal is to label the Jedi order as "wrong" then no I'm not happy about it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm pretty okay with Disney Star Wars, but if their goal is to label the Jedi order as "wrong" then no I'm not happy about it.
I don't take anything presented so far to mean that. I take it as that the Jedi aren't always viewed as the force for good that we've been taught over the last 40+ years. That there are other points of view in the galaxy, and we're just getting glimpses of the Jedi told from those points of view.

I take this back to what Obi-Wan said in Ep6, "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

erasure fan1

Welcome to the concept of a cliffhanger in episodic television. I'm not trying to be condescending but not every plot thread it wrapped up in a nice bow in one episode. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when this was standard, many have forgotten this is normal part of weekly television.
I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger through. We started the episode and ended in in the same basic spot. I get what they were trying to do. I just think there was a better way to do it.

If you mix this episode into the first and second episodes, it would have had a much better impact in my opinion. As an example, If we had seen Mae "die" as a kid, and then later we find out she lived and is the one killing Jedi, it's more impactful. At the same time we get more screen time with Moss's character, so then her death is again, more impactful. How it's played out, it's hard to cate about Moss's character when she dies first thing. It's also no surprise with anything dealing with Mae. A cliffhanger would have been showing how Mae survived, and who or what saved her. That might still happen, but that doesn't make ep3 better.
And I wouldn't do it either, so just as you don't like to be lumped into a group please give me the same courtesy.
As I said, I wasn't lumping you in. I was saying what I wouldn't do. It wasn't meant to say you did that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger through. We started the episode and ended in in the same basic spot. I get what they were trying to do. I just think there was a better way to do it.

If you mix this episode into the first and second episodes, it would have had a much better impact in my opinion. As an example, If we had seen Mae "die" as a kid, and then later we find out she lived and is the one killing Jedi, it's more impactful. At the same time we get more screen time with Moss's character, so then her death is again, more impactful. How it's played out, it's hard to cate about Moss's character when she dies first thing. It's also no surprise with anything dealing with Mae. A cliffhanger would have been showing how Mae survived, and who or what saved her. That might still happen, but that doesn't make ep3 better.
Its a storytelling device, one you clearly don't like, but its a choice they made for an intentional reason that we'll see played out in the rest of the episodes. I brought this up before, but its an homage to Kurosawa's Rashomon, where we're getting the same story told from different points of view and where we're see it hopefully wrapped up in the last episode. This doesn't work for you, I get it. To me its something that George would certainly do, so its very Star Warsy to me.

erasure fan1

Its a storytelling device, one you clearly don't like, but its a choice they made for an intentional reason
I just don't like the way it's done here. It could work, it just was fairly sloppy in my opinion. I didn't mind the Mando flashbacks.
This doesn't work for you, I get it. To me its something that George would certainly do, so its very Star Warsy to me.
If I remember right, George didn't like flashbacks. Thats why he never used them in Star wars. It wasn't something he would have done if he was making this show.

I actually like flashbacks and I think they can really enhance a story. It's how they're used that is most important.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just don't like the way it's done here. It could work, it just was fairly sloppy in my opinion. I didn't mind the Mando flashbacks.
I disagree on it being sloppy, but its a matter of personal preference.

If I remember right, George didn't like flashbacks. Thats why he never used them in Star wars. It wasn't something he would have done if he was making this show.

I actually like flashbacks and I think they can really enhance a story. It's how they're used that is most important.
I'm not aware of George specifically stating he doesn't like flashback (even if he never personally used them). But even if he did given that its a Kurosawa technique being used I believe he might forgive it. Anyways we'll see how things go with the rest of the episodes.

erasure fan1

I take it as that the Jedi aren't always viewed as the force for good that we've been taught over the last 40+ years. That there are other points of view in the galaxy, and we're just getting glimpses of the Jedi told from those points of view.
I think you are right. The question is this, is that the right direction to take the story? While I get that some like how they've done it. I think that there are many more who really aren't a fan of it. The problem comes down to a split. Just like last Jedi. Rian has said the best feedback he could get on a film, is if half the people hate it, and half love it. So last Jedi was very much intended to create a divide in my opinion. That's ok, they just have to be ok with how it's going to be received.

Because we are talking about a world where people tried
But Jedi is also a real-life religion that drew headlines last month when the Charity Commission for England and Wales ruled that it would not grant religious status to the Temple of the Jedi Order, a Jedi church.
So yea, fans take the Jedi pretty serious. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom