SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

sedati

The music continues to be perfect- both fresh, but very John Williams. The characters are compelling. I loved the process of using a sundown so dramatically. The last moments were perfect. The production design hits a good note between familiar, yet different. Live locations were gorgeous. The sets are detailed and amazing, but not expansive. The one failing would be scenes like the one with Jecki. I think the volume could have given us a proper "walk and talk" but with sets, they did just stand there a bit too long. A gripe or nitpick, but not something I actively rip my hair over. (the best solution to the problem of a long conversation was when James Cameron realized he had two long scenes in the original Terminator. One was Kyle Reese giving Sarah pages of plot and the other was a long car chase. His genius was putting the two together.)

I still don't know how any conclusions can be arrived at yet (good or bad)

rd805

1) Killing Kalnacca (SP?) off screen, when everyone was hoping to see them was a huge joke.
2) How come none of the Jedi's could tell the shadow man approaching Oshaa was a Sith? Why can't they sense things? (Why couldn't they sense they were surrounded by leech flying bug monsters?)
3) Some of the acting is really, really bad.
4) They ended the episode when it was about to get good.
5) Some of the dialogue is straight up "let me tell you what happened in the past, to let the audience in, even though you were there" -- not great.
6) How is this Sith that much stronger than those "jedi master's"?
7) Plo Kloon & Ki Adi Mundi were cool cameos, but, the timeline has me confused.

I'm not even a huge hater of the show so far, I kind of enjoy it and the new universe. But they are doing A TON of weird things.

rd805

Bingo. Anyone who actually thinks this is so egregiously bad that it warrants a 1 out of 10 rating, would stop watching.

Eh - we are all clearly Star Wars fans. The production value itself is worth tuning into, and the expansion of the universe. We can still be critical of the choices they are making at this juncture though, and some of the lazy story telling / lazy attention grabbing tactics being used.

"WOOKIE JEDI"!!!

Willmark

Also, isn’t the refrain around here that in order to comment (paraphrasing) “how can anyone comment on something they haven’t seen?”

So which is it?

Seems like a “heads I win, tails you lose” sort of situation.

Phroobar

1718838875670.png

erasure fan1

1) Killing Kalnacca (SP?) off screen, when everyone was hoping to see them was a huge joke.
Yea that was bad. They kind of made it seem like he was going to be a big deal. Then Bam! He doesn't matter.
4) They ended the episode when it was about to get good.
That was the absolute worst part of the episode. You sit through a fairly boring episode, and right when you think, here we go! Something really cool is going to happen! And it cuts. Very lame in my opinion.
5) Some of the dialogue is straight up "let me tell you what happened in the past, to let the audience in, even though you were there" -- not great.
It's been like that every episode. It's pretty frustrating to watch really.

sedati

So we get the genuine shock of the WOOKIE JEDI being slain, and the promise of more with him in flashbacks. Somehow this is a bad thing whereas to me it’s a having your cake and eating it too scenario.

Also a lot of weight is put on Ki Adi, a Jedi who is twice confronted with claims of active Sith and can only shrug or refer to them as political idealists.

Prince-1

2) How come none of the Jedi's could tell the shadow man approaching Oshaa was a Sith? Why can't they sense things? (Why couldn't they sense they were surrounded by leech flying bug monsters?)

Not that it changes your point but my guess is that Darth Zipper is not a man at all but is actually one of the mothers of Mae/Osha.

doctornick

Not that it changes your point but my guess is that Darth Zipper is not a man at all but is actually one of the mothers of Mae/Osha.
I was thinking it might end up being the guy who is Mae’s friend. Already on the planet, could use the force to get down off the rope, knew Mae’s new plan was to to not kill the Wookiee so he took it into his owns hands, etc

Last edited:

Prince-1

I was thinking it might end up being the guy who is Mae’s friend. Already on the planet, could use the force to get down off the rope, knew Mae’s new plan was to to kill the Wookiee so he took it into his owns hands, etc

I thought about that as well and it certainly could be but I will still go with mommy dearest being the bad guy/girl.

Snow Queen 83

This show is awful, it really jumped the shark in the 3rd Episode. It somehow got vastly lamer and it was already pretty lame to begin with.

Phroobar

Here is something I found elsewhere:

"Mae's sudden virtue turn was...awful. Just imagine Maul, having just killed Qui Gon, saying to Obi-Wan effectively, "Hey, look man, I'm tired. I just found out my brother is still alive, so, yeah, I'm out. I'm just not feeling it anymore. So, like, if I tell you who my Sith master is, we good?" :ROFLMAO: ...because that's effectively what happened. It's so abrupt. It's so poorly written. The characters reasons and justifications are so illogical that it makes her look utterly braindead. She's trained for how many years with this Sith? She's already killed two Jedi! She sincerely thinks the Sith won't find her? About ten minutes later, she finds out how wrong she was on that one. She sincerely thinks the Jedi will just...let her go?! For real?! I'm not exaggerating or presuming. She says all these things. After having killed two Jedi, she really believes it's just like spilling milk and they'll give her a pass? And she does all this, a virtuous 180, because she learned her sister is still alive? ...the sister she...tried to kill ....also for "reasons" or something? And the sister she somehow didn't even know was still alive up until this point despite getting all the recon she could on her Jedi targets, one of whom trained her very living sister? Was that not in the memo?

Make any of this make sense. I'll give you time. I'll give you LIMITLESS time. Because unless you literally say "She's a fickle, ignorant idiot," it's impossible. I firmly believe that there's such thing as transcending subjective opinion and entering into the domain of objectively bad art when the art contradicts itself. That's how you tell something is poorly written. And her sudden, flip of a switch change that came like lightening out of a clear sky completely contradicts the established character and her motivations...yeah. Just yeah. It's just dumpster fire-level trash writing. That scene was horrendous."

BrianLo

I contend this can indeed be poorly written. But one of the Jedi kills himself, pedantically. Something is going on that we don’t have the full picture on yet.

Either these things will add up or the series is poor, which is why I think we’re kind of stuck wondering if the mystery sticks the landing or not. Whenever that’s fully unveiled.

Wendy Pleakley

I contend this can indeed be poorly written. But one of the Jedi kills himself, pedantically. Something is going on that we don’t have the full picture on yet.

Either these things will add up or the series is poor, which is why I think we’re kind of stuck wondering if the mystery sticks the landing or not. Whenever that’s fully unveiled.

I think this illustrates one flaw of the series, that it seems better suited to a binge watch or a shorter episode count with longer episodes.

The Mandalorian works as a TV series because each week has its' own adventure while still having an overarching story.

This feels a bit more like a movie or mini series split up a bit too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom