Splash Mtn Restraints

csm

Every ride has lap bars, yet people complain about getting claustrophobic on Splash Mt if they add lap bars? Makes absolutely no sense. hahaha, but I'll admit, reading so many complaints on this site over the smallest pointless things are enjoyable sometimes.

To further diffuse the asinine debate some are creating, I AM claustrophobic and I'm thrilled that there will be lap bars added. :wave:

AlishaMisha

To further diffuse the asinine debate some are creating, I AM claustrophobic and I'm thrilled that there will be lap bars added. :wave:
I am happy they are going in too(assuming they do). I will miss the "floaty" feeling but all I will have to do is sit next to someone with a bigger lap than me :lol: To me anything to keep people safe is good by me. Unless they are extreme of course.

For me there are only two rides that get me going with claustrophobia...Rockin' Roller Coaster and Stitches Great Escape. But it wears off by the time the actual ride starts usually. I felt bad because on my last trip on Rockin' Rolllercoaster we loaded and the CMs went around pushing hard on our harnesses and mine locked in WAY too tightly. I started breaking into panic and started to cry but had to hold my composure to not embarrass myself. My bf had to ask them if they could redo them. I felt bad that I had to delay things and have the harnesses lifted for everyone and have the checks start allover again, but I had to :/

csm

I am happy they are going in too(assuming they do). I will miss the "floaty" feeling but all I will have to do is sit next to someone with a bigger lap than me :lol: To me anything to keep people safe is good by me. Unless they are extreme of course.

For me there are only two rides that get me going with claustrophobia...Rockin' Roller Coaster and Stitches Great Escape. But it wears off by the time the actual ride starts usually. I felt bad because on my last trip on Rockin' Rolllercoaster we loaded and the CMs went around pushing hard on our harnesses and mine locked in WAY too tightly. I started breaking into panic and started to cry but had to hold my composure to not embarrass myself. My bf had to ask them if they could redo them. I felt bad that I had to delay things and have the harnesses lifted for everyone and have the checks start allover again, but I had to :/

To be fair, you won't even lose that as it's kind of in your mind. A "floaty feeling" as you describe it on a ride would be what is commonly known as "airtime" - when you life up out of your seat - which occurs when you experience negative gravity. Splash Mountain's drops do not have any of that. The feeling you get in your tummy going down the drops (especially the dip drop) will still feel exactly the same as the motion will not change, and none of that motion is *actually* lifting your body up like a roller coaster (or perhaps better example, Tower of Terror) would.

I am fascinated though - you're NOT claustrophobic on Mission: SPACE? Or does that just go without saying given the confined nature of the ride? I myself have no trouble with Stitch or Coaster.

Well I'm not claustrophobic and I hate it.

So there.

:ROFLOL:

Clearly we have two very different outlooks. I'm claustrophobic. You are not. I like it. You Hate it. I'm right... what does that make you?

OMG I am so kidding. :lol: I could not resist that one. Seriously just kidding. :wave:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I defense to that women: I go though panic attacks when in the right(or wrong should I say) situations. My trigger is darkness and room size when sleeping. Sometime you can't predict how you will react. Like sometimes I think a room is big enough or light enough and then I go to sleep and wake up in pure terror. When going through such a thing there is no reasoning or common sense involved. I have been know to be trying to get out of a room and not knowing how to get out. I will jiggle the handle over and over again, freaking out and crying. It's weird I know, but in a situation like what this lady went though I can understand. And I understand how you can put yourself in a situation that will trigger an attack without predicting it. This is not to say that it isn't extremely dangerous, but I definitely can relate to this situation. As far as the people who get out for other reason, well I haven't come to understand that yet :eek:

Do to my experiences I just assumed the lady had a fear of drops but entered the ride anyway and had a panic attack because of that. I have panic attacks to but there are so many kinds I am assuming. I tend to have false shortness of breath and sometimes feel like I am suffocating but it will only cause me to breath hard. I thought it was athsma but the doctor pointed out that when I occupied my mind that it all goes away. I will also get small versions of what you get. I get pretty fidgety but I tend to keep quiet when I freak out and I hope it stays that way. I know when i'm in in things like classes, lectures, meetings or anywhere where I have to sit quietly and listen for a long period of time about something that doesn't interest me with no being excused I seem panic really badly. I feel trapped and worry about what going on outside of that room or just the world around me in general. I fear isolation but the weird thing is I smaller spaces but I can also handle large spaces. Im glad to hear i'm not the only one who has panic attacks.

AlishaMisha

I have panic attacks to, not as much as I used to but there are so many kinds. I tend to have false shortness of breath and sometimes feel like I am suffocating but it will only cause me to breath hard. I thought it was athsma but the doctor pointed out that when I occupied my mind that it all goes away. I will get small versions of what you get. I get pretty fidgety but I tend to keep quiet when I freak out. Like I said some have it worse then others. I always got them in class or when my mind wasn't ocupied an there was nothing but worries running thru my head. I always thought Splash Mountain would be the most unlikley place to have a panic attack. When I heard her story I just assumed she went on the ride knowing she is bad with drops but went on anyway. I am bad in quiet areas where theres not much going on, mostly out of the house.
I tend to keep quiet too. Like when I wake up with them I get up and go very quickly over to the light switch, usually shedding tears by the time I get there. I just go into a state of pure terror inside. I never get the suffocating and shortness of breath that most people do though. I have Severe Anxiety Disorder too, but oddly enough the two aren't correlated for me :veryconfu

I hope you have found a solution (even if temporary) for your attacks. It's no fun :/

A "floaty feeling" as you describe it on a ride would be what is commonly known as "airtime" - when you life up out of your seat

I am fascinated though - you're NOT claustrophobic on Mission: SPACE? Or does that just go without saying given the confined nature of the ride? I myself have no trouble with Stitch or Coaster.

Sorry I think floaty was the wrong word. I know about airtime and jazz, but I can't think of a better word then floaty...Flexibility? Ugh I'm sorry can you tell my vocabulary is limited to like 100 words? :lol: I am short so I could lift myself a little in my seat to give me more of a "freeing" fall.

Ahhhh yes, Mission Space. I forgets. I have a small issue in there but I usually try to distract myself by talking to either my friends/family or joking around with strangers in the cabin with me. My biggest issue is the harnesses. I need at least an inch of wiggle room. That time on RnR the harness was forced to my chest and that set off the panic. I think they tend to bee a little too rough when pushing on those harnesses. When it comes to SGE I usually set my shoulders high and sit a bit higher in my seat when they set them, but when Stitch "goes around the room" the harnesses will push down and then suddenly they are locked at a lower position. So I go through a pre-panic, but I get distracted by the rest of the show. Like what I was talking about much earlier, sometimes you just can't predict when you will have an attack. Sometimes there will just be the right conditions that are different to a situation you have been in before. I have been to WDW for 1 - 1.5 months a year my whole life with an Annual. So I have been to WDW a lot and have been on RnR more than I could ever count. And my last trip was definitely the first time I have ever had a panic attack on anything there.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I tend to keep quiet too. Like when I wake up with them I get up and go very quickly over to the light switch, usually shedding tears by the time I get there. I just go into a state of pure terror inside. I never get the suffocating and shortness of breath that most people do though. I have Severe Anxiety Disorder too, but oddly enough the two aren't correlated for me :veryconfu

I hope you have found a solution (even if temporary) for your attacks. It's no fun :/

Sorry I think floaty was the wrong word. I know about airtime and jazz, but I can't think of a better word then floaty...Flexibility? Ugh I'm sorry can you tell my vocabulary is limited to like 100 words? :lol: I am short so I could lift myself a little in my seat to give me more of a "freeing" fall.

Ahhhh yes, Mission Space. I forgets. I have a small issue in there but I usually try to distract myself by talking to either my friends/family or joking around with strangers in the cabin with me. My biggest issue is the harnesses. I need at least an inch of wiggle room. That time on RnR the harness was forced to my chest and that set off the panic. I think they tend to bee a little too rough when pushing on those harnesses. When it comes to SGE I usually set my shoulders high and sit a bit higher in my seat when they set them, but when Stitch "goes around the room" the harnesses will push down and then suddenly they are locked at a lower position. So I go through a pre-panic, but I get distracted by the rest of the show. Like what I was talking about much earlier, sometimes you just can't predict when you will have an attack. Sometimes there will just be the right conditions that are different to a situation you have been in before. I have been to WDW for 1 - 1.5 months a year my whole life with an Annual. So I have been to WDW a lot and have been on RnR more than I could ever count. And my last trip was definitely the first time I have ever had a panic attack on anything there.

I found ways to prevent them and work around them. I suggest if your looking for jobs try to get a fast paced nonstop job if your ever looking. Work somewhere where busyness is always fast where your thoughts cant wonder. I worked seasonally for UPS and it was was great, I was outside all say delivering packages and dealing with the customers. I was occupied and not isolated. I start working there this spring in loading and I cant wait because jobs like that always seem to be a cure for my anxiety. I am probably going to stick around there because I can make a full living. Im not saying UPS is the answer to all your troubles but stay active and spend as much time as you can outdoors and keep yourself occupied. I notice even if I am just driving around being outside is one of the best things to prevent panic attacks.

When you ride Mission Space remember behind your seat is the que area. That always helps me. I rode Spaceship Earth alone on a quiet day with no one in front or back, I was going back to get some footage but my camera was dead do I was left alone with no one in front or back. I was ready to pop wanting the ride to end and the more I thought about it it just seemed like it was getting slower and slower. I broke out the camera light and looked to see if I could spot any of the old scenery.

Rapunzel

Who said anything about boarding? Not to mention if the chubby peeps ride all the other rides that have resetraints (pooh bear, snow white, thunder mountain, ect.) then I don't see a difference.

My apologies if this has already been said, but some people are concerned because similarly when Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure got lapbars, people (especially larger people) were extremely uncomfortable. While the log size is different, I can see how it would be more uncomfortable with lapbars than without on both rides. I find log flumes much more cozy without them rather than with them, but I can see why popular parks like Disney and Universal have implemented them. It's easier to keep rowdy guests in their seats (though not 100% fool proof) and to minimize ride closings with them. Just a bit of common sense and my two cents, though. It's all probably been said before.

csm

talked to cm working ride area at the park said 2/1/11 splash reopens, i could not see any of the logs to photo new restraints

But you didn't just *ask* them to confirm the lapbars? Here's the thing - speak generally about what CMs do or do not know all (the figurative) you want, but if someone is working at Splash Mountain one week before it reopens to guests, they WILL know if there are lapbars on the logs by now!

Sorry I think floaty was the wrong word. I know about airtime and jazz, but I can't think of a better word then floaty...Flexibility? Ugh I'm sorry can you tell my vocabulary is limited to like 100 words? :lol:

At least they are fun words like "floaty!" :p

I have only twice been on rides that gave me actual panic attacks - and both were sort of what you're complaining about here but really to a much more extreme degree. Both were rides that you are in the "flying" position - one a Superman coaster in Georgia and the other a spinning flat ride in Massachusetts. In the GA case, the ride op stapled my restraint so hard that there was quite literally no space to even breathe out between the harness and the very encompassing back of the seat. Add to that their terrible dispatch times that leave you hanging on the brake run at the end of the ride staring at the solid metal floor beneath you for sometimes upwards of five minutes and you get the idea. As for the flat ride though, that was just bad design (and the reason why they never sold another model of it in the United States after the first -- look up HUSS Fly Away if you want an idea.) The restraint was the most enclosed i'd ever seen - basically a full body coffin where only your knuckles and face see the light of day. And if that isn't fun enough? Yeah. It gets tighter and tighter progressively as the ride continues. A major design flaw. It's actually since been removed from that park too, and was only first installed ten years ago.

Luckily, regular shoulder restraints like those commonly found on pretty much all other looping coasters do not bother me at all.

It was discussed ad-naseaum here a while back.

The general consensus is the kid is hanging from the top.

-dave

No need for consensus. I did some research when that photo first surfaced and somewhere along the way I stumbled across the blog of either *that* kid or one of his friends that were with him. In it he confirmed that was a staged photo in which he got out of the belt during the corridor scene and was already holding on to the roof of the cage to create the "effect" he was going for. Wish I saved the link. Also wish the kid got hurt (though I'm glad he didn't in the sense that he would have likely landed on an innocent rider possibly injuring them as well.) Don't try this at home kiddos. Unless you need to be weeded out by Darwin's theory. In that case, yes, please try this at home.

Flip83

Haha, exactly. I am the same way. I am claustrophobic also, and I am
All for the lapbars. It will not in any way decrease the enjoyability of this ride. Good for many families, and all guests who are annoyed when the ride stalled for people who got out of the logs

csm

Haha, exactly. I am the same way. I am claustrophobic also, and I am
All for the lapbars. It will not in any way decrease the enjoyability of this ride. Good for many families, and all guests who are annoyed when the ride stalled for people who got out of the logs

Exactly! Now the next wrong that must be written - I think Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear have gotten a bad rap. There's no way they've caused all that commotion down stream alone. They're too busy attempting to murder bunnies! Lap bars will prove that!

(Don't you love how I just perfectly summed up Splash Mountain's entire story in two words: Attempted Murder)

For those still doubting, we will 100% reopen with lapbars. The new boats have actually been in service for a while now. If you've ridden in the past few months, you most likely rode the "lapbars boats" minus the lapbars. During this rehab all they had to do vehicle wise was pop in the bars.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is a necessary evil. It is needed to combat the dopes that infiltrate WDW daily. I am convinced WDW has the highest idiot levels in the country.

T-1MILLION

Restraints could cause the ride to have less perodical down time for the occasional idiot, but I have a concern about downtime WITH the lapbars...

Are they going to be automated to go down from a button or do they only go down by guests pulling them down when seated? The reason I ask because this can actually cause efficiency issues if there are times where they need to keep guests unloading and unloading and full vehicles are not happening, so the Cast Members may have to manually push down on lapbars time and time again.

Problems with this could cause lots of trouble downsteam because Splash is a very high capacity ride due to the amount of vehicles it is constantly pumping out. If that trouble causes load to back up to unload and then guests are piled up in final scenes and so on.

mgf

Restraints could cause the ride to have less perodical down time for the occasional idiot, but I have a concern about downtime WITH the lapbars...

Are they going to be automated to go down from a button or do they only go down by guests pulling them down when seated? The reason I ask because this can actually cause efficiency issues if there are times where they need to keep guests unloading and unloading and full vehicles are not happening, so the Cast Members may have to manually push down on lapbars time and time again.

Problems with this could cause lots of trouble downstream because Splash is a very high capacity ride due to the amount of vehicles it is constantly pumping out. If that trouble causes load to back up to unload and then guests are piled up in final scenes and so on.

Disney's crowd flow/management modeling is renowned. They have an entire department of statisticians. (I have seen the job listings.) From my very basic management science class, there are formulas that are used to calculate service times. You just need to know/estimate the arrival time, the number of service points available, and the amount of time taken to serve a "customer." From this, I am pretty sure they could easily recalibrate the ride system or retrain employees to accommodate the possibly longer service time. Someone posted a comment from a CM about "net" downtime. I suspect that the addition of lap bars will greatly increase the total operating time during the day. Try to think of the last time you rode without trouble downstream. Imagine if say half of these daily "troubles" were eliminated by the lap bars.

Donfan

There are already rides in Disney World which require that CMs check that lap bars are in place: Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road, Rock 'N Roller Coaster, and others. They don't seem to hold up the ride time very much, if any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom