News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

It's Bob Iger who usually laser focuses on a movie's initial popularity when determining whether it has any sort of substantial future and deserves a ride. People are simply pointing out that the decision to promote PATF in spite of its lack of massive success has been very uncharacteristic for the company these days.

A movie's popularity is not something I personally care about at all when it comes to what receives a ride. I'm a big fan of Atlantis The Lost Empire for instance and think it has great ride potential (they considered basing the old Fire Mountain concept around the IP before the entire thing was scrapped). Hell, i'd be game for a Black Cauldron ride (yes really), moreso than some of the other far better movies that have gotten disappointing rides. The vast majority of Disney's best rides aren't even based on movies at all.

A lot of the people who are skeptical of this attraction are in fact big fans of PATF, myself included. I think it has great ride potential with the right people and proper planning. But given that it's a replacement for a legitimate cream of the crop classic, even a hypothetical dream team of the best imagineers who ever existed would have a nearly impossible task matching, let alone surpassing what it's replacing. And I do not consider anyone at WDI to be remotely dream team material.

I also have a considerably less pessimistic outlook on the attraction than most others. Based off of the claims i've heard (assuming it's true), I don't think this will be nearly as egregious as Imagination v2/3 for instance. But regardless, I don't think WDI has the necessary talent to create a ride that can match Splash anymore. If this was its own thing built from scratch, it would probably be better able to stand on its own as a really good ride. Perhaps even the best they've created in decades. But as a replacement, don't underestimate WDI's ability to screw it up. It would take a miracle to come anywhere close.
I definitely agree with what you said of a completely original ride being better for the IP & that this ride has an uphill battle as it's replacing one of the GOATs. I just think others using this movie's initial middling success as an argument isn't justifiable tbh.

DisneyFanatic12

I heard Zip a dee doo dah at WDW a little bit ago, but can’t remember where. Felt like it was at one of the train stations, but I feel like remember it being removed from the loop. Maybe I heard it right after the loop switched back from the Christmas loop, but I’m guessing it was somewhere else. 🤔

mickEblu

Now this is interesting. Have Keith David come to talk about bringing Dr. Facilier to life at the same event that they’ll be discussing Tiana’s Bayou Adventure that is presumed to not feature him in the attraction? Hmmmm. Will he be making an appearance after all? How long has this been event been scheduled? Maybe they changed course after Iger called it “boring.” Besides, what does it take to project the “shadow man” on a wall and play “friends on the other side?”

7ABCA492-4B35-4F03-8AA5-808DDEE7ACAD.jpeg

Disstevefan1

When this thread was started, things were still in the planning stage. We are well past that point, and are close to TBA opening. It is time for discussions of Song of the South and Splash Mountain to end.

It is gone, never coming back, and nothing anyone says will change things.
Splash in all its fun and happiness is still in Tokyo. We can be thankful for that.

I am sure TBA will be fine but it will never be as wonderful as Splash.

I really like Mission Space but it will never be as great as Horizons.

Now you did it, you made me think of lost attractions like the Osborne Lights :cry:

Bocabear

It would have been nice to have included Facilier in the attraction...to balance it out a bit...While it could and should have been a major plot point of the ride, they could have done something like they did at 7 Dwarfs...and the Wicked Queen waiting outside the cottage door...a wonderful little touch. I feel like the event will end up being more about modern day New Orleans that they are trying to shoehorn into the attraction in the name of being "authentic"...without being authentic to the film and story...

aladdin2007

It would have been nice to have included Facilier in the attraction...to balance it out a bit...While it could and should have been a major plot point of the ride, they could have done something like they did at 7 Dwarfs...and the Wicked Queen waiting outside the cottage door...a wonderful little touch. I feel like the event will end up being more about modern day New Orleans that they are trying to shoehorn into the attraction in the name of being "authentic"...without being authentic to the film and story...
agree, because its based on some plus cartoon and not the movie, which was an epic fail to begin with. Another reason why the music/soundtrack is a concern...

mickEblu

Marketing for this ride has been terrible but I have to imagine they’re not this dumb. They know that people want Facilier in the ride. They’re not blind. They see the comments. It’s one thing to kind of pretend the character didn’t exist when it comes to marketing this ride and just talk about the numerous mundane details they ve been giving us but to highlight the fan favorite character at same event they’re doing a deep dive of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure a few months before it opens at WDW would be puzzling even from them and a huge let down for the fans if they don’t end up announcing his presence on the ride. So in other words, you’re probably right. Haha. No but seriously I’d be surprised. I’m intrigued.

Brer Oswald

Now this is interesting. Have Keith David come to talk about bringing Dr. Facilier to life at the same event that they’ll be discussing Tiana’s Bayou Adventure that is presumed to not feature him in the attraction? Hmmmm. Will he be making an appearance after all? How long has this been event been scheduled? Maybe they changed course after Iger called it “boring.” Besides, what does it take to project the “shadow man” on a wall and play “friends on the other side?”

View attachment 771631
There’s rumblings that they may have shoehorned the character (in some form) into Laughing Place at the 11th hour. We will have to wait and see. As of early January, Keith David had recorded nothing for it.

mickEblu

There’s rumblings that they may have shoehorned the character (in some form) into Laughing Place at the 11th hour. We will have to wait and see. As of early January, Keith David had recorded nothing for it.

These are my exactly my thoughts. Where have you seen/ heard these rumblings? Like I said, it would be incredibly easy to project the his shadow and play “Friends on the Other Side.” I Guess well know when it opens. If there is a full blown AA then I am wrong. If not, I’m probably right.

Brer Oswald

These are my exactly my thoughts. Where have you seen/ heard these rumblings?
Have heard them from Splash Archives. He’s very wary of it given the near finished progress of the attraction. We already know it wouldn’t be at the upper section of the attraction, the lift hill (which is the mystical Mama Odie house), or the finale. That leaves the former Laughing Place.

Sounds like they’ve been very “fluid” with determining what to do with this section of the attraction. We’ve heard rumours of the Giant Louis idea. We’ve also seen concept art of Tiana in a boat. Other rumours suggest it may be “the dark side of the bayou” and the “shadows” may come out to play adding some brief “conflict” to the attraction. So don’t expect him to take a major role in the attraction, but maybe a cameo of some sorts with “laughter” might happen.

Tha Realest

agree, because its based on some plus cartoon and not the movie, which was an epic fail to begin with. Another reason why the music/soundtrack is a concern...
Speaking of, when is that coming out? No announced date yet, after being continued multiple times. Ominous in light of Iger’s comment yesterday that they’ve killed various projects.

Eric Graham

And I do really like the music from Princess and the Frog. I'm kind of different sometimes...I really enjoy instrumental music at times. It's wonderful for relaxing.

mickEblu

Have heard them from Splash Archives. He’s very wary of it given the near finished progress of the attraction. We already know it wouldn’t be at the upper section of the attraction, the lift hill (which is the mystical Mama Odie house), or the finale. That leaves the former Laughing Place.

Sounds like they’ve been very “fluid” with determining what to do with this section of the attraction. We’ve heard rumours of the Giant Louis idea. We’ve also seen concept art of Tiana in a boat. Other rumours suggest it may be “the dark side of the bayou” and the “shadows” may come out to play adding some brief “conflict” to the attraction. So don’t expect him to take a major role in the attraction, but maybe a cameo of some sorts with “laughter” might happen.

I wouldn’t expect more than his shadow and shadows of whatever those things from the other side are called with some rendition or instrumental of Friends on the Other Side. Laughing Place or right before the lift hill is the only place it makes sense. Anyway I don’t think it really needs more than this. The “laughter” would be a nice touch too. I’m imagining it just like a quick scene on an old school Fantasyland dark ride. No explanation necessary.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I wouldn’t expect more than his shadows and shadows of whatever those things from the other side are called with some rendition or instrumental of Friends on the Other Side. Laughing Place or right before the lift hill is the only place it makes sense. Anyway I don’t think it really needs more than this. The “laughter” would be a nice touch too. I’m imagining it just like a quick scene on an old school Fantasyland dark ride. No explanation necessary.
Yes. Also “true bayou mist”. A downgrade from the animatronic filled laughing place of the past. But, like you said, maybe an old school fantasyland like touch that makes the attraction more fun than what we’ve seen/heard officially thus far.

Incomudro

Marketing for this ride has been terrible but I have to imagine they’re not this dumb. They know that people want Facilier in the ride. They’re not blind. They see the comments. It’s one thing to kind of pretend the character didn’t exist when it comes to marketing this ride and just talk about the numerous mundane details they ve been giving us but to highlight the fan favorite character at same event they’re doing a deep dive of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure a few months before it opens at WDW would be puzzling even from them and a huge let down for the fans if they don’t end up announcing his presence on the ride. So in other words, you’re probably right. Haha. No but seriously I’d be surprised. I’m intrigued.
Ohhh, they're blind.
We see the same thing happen in films over and over again.
"They" think they know better than the market for these films, rides etc., and believe they have an obligation to teach us something.
I'm hoping this ride will be good, I like the exterior for sure.
But they had an excellent starting point of the film and songs, and went with their own take.
We'll see how that works out.

mickEblu

Ohhh, they're blind.
We see the same thing happen in films over and over again.
"They" think they know better than the market for these films, rides etc., and believe they have an obligation to teach us something.
I'm hoping this ride will be good, I like the exterior for sure.
But they an excellent starting point of the film and songs, and went with their own take.
We'll see how that works out.

Lol true. In this case I meant they re literally “not blind.” I think this pivot may have come from Igers recent walk through of the ride. I guess we’ll find out on March 23rd.

Bocabear

it would be nice if we take a wrong turn and drop into The Other Side (Old Laughing Place)... and then Mama Odie lifts us out of the Other Side and sets us back on our path... That could actually make sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom