News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich T

They aren't going to be asking about singing bunnies and bear buts because there won't be any. There will be big chunks of dark space.

The success of this ride was about so much more than a 5 story drop. There are plenty of ways this thing could come up wanting.
Yes. It could go wrong. But it’s not going to “fail” as a a crowd-pleasing attraction at MK.

Brer Rabbit and SotS are gone from MK as of tomorrow morning. The change was inevitable. I’m going to be optimistic about the Tiana ride (despite plenty of red flags in the PR so far).

Goodness knows, there’s plenty to gripe about at Disney regarding current, existing attractions without getting pre-upset about a work in progress.

celluloid

Publicity? They know everyone is filming it on the last day and are likely to be spotted.

Perhaps it's their way of wanting to show they're working on it right away.

Of course a blog post with footage take outside of regular operating hours would do the same thing.

It is also the current Disney philosophy where you say screw the paying customer, this can't wait.

ToTBellHop

I've seen it multiple times and think it's a very good movie. I also enjoy it more than SOTS (though I also do not believe SOTS is offensive in any sense, just kind of boring throughout a lot of it). The quality of these movies have zero bearing on the quality of the rides themselves. A good movie doesn't necessarily make a good ride, and a bad movie doesn't necessarily guarantee a bad ride.

A huge problem is that I do not trust the current crop of imagineers to do a Tiana ride justice. As a new standalone ride that didn't replace anything, it wouldn't have the same astronomical expectations. The problem is that it's not a new ride, it's a replacement of one of the best and most popular rides in the world. At bare minimum, it HAS to be at least as good as Splash Mountain. And that is going to take a miracle to pull off.

The talent and design philosophies that created Splash are gone from the company. It has been over 20 years since Disney opened what I term a "classic style" E ticket (Sinbad at Tokyo), and over 30 years since they did it in the states (Splash itself). Tokyo was/is still getting some cool additions in recent years, but even those are made with modern design philosophies that would be an ill fit for a Splash replacement. And even most of the teams involved with Tokyo projects are no longer with the company as of the past year or two.

Tiana will require a level of detailed and dense physical scenery, animatronic population and storytelling that are pretty much lost from the current crop of imagineers. Charita Carter and her core team do not inspire confidence that they can/will pull it off on their own. That's one reason why I hope what I heard about Tony Baxter (and Bob Weis before he left the company) being substantially creatively involved are true.
It doesn’t help that the plot seems downright stupid and that they supposedly won’t include the PatF songs or Dr. Facilier. The ONLY things that made me optimistic about this project originally was that I love the music and that Facilier is awesome.

As exciting as it will be watching Tiana hunt for special clams and peppers, I’m nervous about TBA.

I hope to be pleasantly-surprised. I was upset about GMR and I love MMRR.

brb1006

It’s reality now. Terms change in meaning, and part of Disney’s job as a family entertainment giant is to adjust to cultural changes. SotS has some good moments, (and great, great animation), but the tar scene kind of drops an atom bomb on any chance of it ever being acknowledged by Disney ever again. There were some very unfortunate choices made in the production of that movie.
The Japanese won't mind it considering the context isn't known over there.

drizgirl

It doesn’t help that the plot seems downright stupid and that they supposedly won’t include the PatF songs or Dr. Facilier. The ONLY things that made me optimistic about this project originally was that I love the music and that Facilier is awesome.

This is exactly how I feel.

And it reminds me of my head scratching confusion when I found out the new Star Wars Land wouldn't include theming from the original trilogy. We just got back from WDW. Didn't step foot in Batuu.

Tha Realest

As exciting as it will be watching Tiana hunt for special clams and peppers, I’m nervous about TBA.

I hope to be pleasantly-surprised. I was upset about GMR and I love MMRR.
The hubris to think they could come up with better original songs and that PATF 2.0 (or 1.5) could improve on the general storylines of the first film I think will be this attraction’s ultimate undoing.

But hey. Maybe I’m wrong. They say old ideas never die at WDI. Perhaps Food Co-op Rocks will win out over an appearance of Dr. Facilier.

drizgirl

The hubris to think they could come up with better original songs and that PATF 2.0 (or 1.5) could improve on the general storylines of the first film I think will be this attraction’s ultimate undoing.

But hey. Maybe I’m wrong. They say old ideas never die at WDI. Perhaps Food Co-op Rocks will win out over an appearance of Dr. Facilier.
Plenty of little kids are going to ride and come off very confused that Tiana isn't wearing her green gown.

brb1006

I'm going to really miss this view after tonight. :(
splash_carelli-700x467.jpeg

BasiltheBatLord

At the very least, people probably know what it is there.
I live here and have never met any non-online Japanese Disney fan who has ever seen or heard of SotS the film. Not saying my anecdotal experience is total, but given the heavy merchandising of Disney characters here I would expect to see more if it really was a known IP outside of Splash Mountain.

Vegas Disney Fan

Have you seen PatF? Its World is a lot of fun. No princess fandom required.

There’s potential for greatness there. And I’m also worried about the horrid press releases so far. But let’s see what happens.

The bayou is a good fit, even with the lack of mountains, to what’s already there but I lost any hope as soon as they issued the D23 press release. Floating down the bayou sounds beautiful and exciting, going through farming caves from an employee owned food co-op sounds horrible and boring.

The Princess and the Frog has massive potential, unfortunately it sounds like they’re planning on ignoring the movie and going with a food co-op idea loosely based on Tianas restaurant instead. The idea sounds horrible.

LittleBuford

At the very least, people probably know what it is there.
I grew up in the UK, where Song of the South was also available on video. I had a copy and watched it frequently. Knowledge of the film among the general public, however, was negligible. Only one of my friends had seen it, and I never heard it referred to by anyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom