News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
The Attractions article doesn't indicate the date this happened. But presumably it was recently.

How flipping contemptuous of their consumers (we ceased being guests years ago) to dunk on them like this. As evidenced not only by this thread, but by the 3-4 hour waits today as people say goodbye to an amazing attraction they loved.

While fans grieve, Disney rubs the upcoming change in their faces instead of waiting until it's closed. With people who appear to hate the concept of a log flume.

Get bent.
Good lord.

Midwest Elitist

Well then why bother with theming at all.

You can get Six Flags season passes for 1/100000 of the cost of a trip to Disney since that’s what your into.
As much as I love Great America in Illinois, Disney was never intense rides, but the theming. I think losing Splash just makes the park a lot less whimsical, and I'm not sure if that magic can be replaced. "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is a very powerful song that instantly evokes happiness. There has to be backroom talks about incorporating it again in the future, once the fire dies down. It just makes no sense to keep it buried forever.

Rich T

Well then why bother with theming at all.

You can get Six Flags season passes for 1/100000 of the cost of a trip to Disney since that’s what your into.
You’re missing my point. I’m saying the physical ride, without any theming, is already strong, so adding the Tiana theming makes a good thing even better. The new Splash isn’t going to fail with the public. It’s as close to fail-proof as a ride can get.

Midwest Elitist

The difference is that SotS actually contains a few scenes that are genuinely repugnant by today’s standards, including the repeated use of a racial slur no decent person would ever use today.

Brer Rabbit Splash needed to go. And now it’s gone.
It's unfortunately that the Tar scene is now viewed like that. Even in the original folktales, it means a sticky situation. I feel that that's a hard term to reclaim back, sadly.

999th Happy Haunt

Calm down. I’m saying that the rethemed ride isn’t going to “fail” any more than Frozen Ever After, Ratatouille, MMRR, Navi River Journey or any other recent mediocre additions/changes.

We, as fans, can label something as an artistic belly flop, but if the public keeps lining up for it, Disney will never view it as a failure.

There’s a big difference between disappointment and a crash-and-burn failure. The fact that no matter what, Splash is graced with an excellent flume layout makes it “fail-proof” in that regard.

Let’s hope for the best.
People still see Harmonious every night, yet we know it is a failure since it is being scrapped entirely after such a short run. But yes, I agree the new attraction will likely still be popular, and I do sincerely hope it’s good. What we know about it and the team behind it so far gives me little reason to expect anything good.

JD80

The Attractions article doesn't indicate the date this happened. But presumably it was recently.

How flipping contemptuous of their consumers (we ceased being guests years ago) to dunk on them like this. As evidenced not only by this thread, but by the 3-4 hour waits today as people say goodbye to an amazing attraction they loved.

While fans grieve, Disney rubs the upcoming change in their faces instead of waiting until it's closed. With people who appear to hate the concept of a log flume.

Get bent.

Yikes.

Rich T

It's unfortunately that the Tar scene is now viewed like that. Even in the original folktales, it means a sticky situation. I feel that that's a hard term to reclaim back, sadly.
It’s reality now. Terms change in meaning, and part of Disney’s job as a family entertainment giant is to adjust to cultural changes. SotS has some good moments, (and great, great animation), but the tar scene kind of drops an atom bomb on any chance of it ever being acknowledged by Disney ever again. There were some very unfortunate choices made in the production of that movie.

999th Happy Haunt

You’re missing my point. I’m saying the physical ride, without any theming, is already strong, so adding the Tiana theming makes a good thing even better. The new Splash isn’t going to fail with the public. It’s as close to fail-proof as a ride can get.
There’s no guarantee that the new theming will be as rich as the original. In fact, what we’ve heard about “painting with mist” and all the other meaningless word salad makes me think it’ll most likely pale in comparison.

Anyone that’s not interested in the princess brand or isn’t a blind Disney consumer won’t automatically like the ride better if a character they know is slapped on it.

Rich T

As much as I love Great America in Illinois, Disney was never intense rides, but the theming. I think losing Splash just makes the park a lot less whimsical, and I'm not sure if that magic can be replaced. "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is a very powerful song that instantly evokes happiness. There has to be backroom talks about incorporating it again in the future, once the fire dies down. It just makes no sense to keep it buried forever.
The world of Princess and the Frog is extremely fun, whimsical, magical and celebratory. I think when the new ride opens, there’s a good chance the park will see a huge infusion of energy and whimsy.

Or not. But I’d rather spend the next few years being optimistic about it.

Rich T

There’s no guarantee that the new theming will be as rich as the original. In fact, what we’ve heard about “painting with mist” and all the other meaningless word salad makes me think it’ll most likely pale in comparison.

Anyone that’s not interested in the princess brand or isn’t a blind Disney consumer won’t automatically like the ride better if a character they know is slapped on it.
Have you seen PatF? Its World is a lot of fun. No princess fandom required.

There’s potential for greatness there. And I’m also worried about the horrid press releases so far. But let’s see what happens.

UNCgolf

Frozen Ever After is a better attraction than Maelstrom ever was. It's only failing is where it's located.

Maelstrom was mediocre, but FEA is awful all things considered. One of Disney's biggest recent failures up there with Little Mermaid.
It would be marginally better in Fantasyland (still not close to good), but I can't imagine Disney building that ride if they'd designed it from scratch.

Last edited:

Ayla

The concept to turn Splash Mountain into a Tiana ride was clearly developed for Disneyland, and cramming into Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain is a huge missed opportunity

What they really should be doing is building a New Orleans Square at Magic Kingdom, maybe north of The Haunted Mansion, on that piece of land that's been vacant for 50 years? But have the Tiana Boat Ride and Restaurant there in place of DL's Pirates and Blue Lagoon

The whole appeal of Splash Mountain is "singing animals in a cartoon world" they should change that as little as possible...
Get Br'er Rabbit out of there already, maybe replace it with the unmade film that inspired America Sings.

These rides don't need to tell you a story to be popular, The Jungle Cruise, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates "Pre-Johnny Depp" had no stories, they just had fun characters and fun songs in beautiful environments

Is this you in the video?

999th Happy Haunt

There’s potential for greatness there. And I’m also worried about the horrid press releases so far. But let’s see what happens.
I have, and it’s a fine movie, but the most interesting thing within it’s world is the villain. Unfortunately it seems like he will be completely absent from the attraction, so that already takes away a lot of the potential.

No matter how fun the world is though, it won’t fit naturally in Frontierland without a lot of tweaking, maybe to the point of it missing major aspects from the film. Again, I also hope for the best but I am not confident at all.

celluloid

Well based on concept art so far, the whimsy from the movie is barely there. A Food Co-Op and no supernatural bad guy element or transformations that the movie had sure take the whimsy right out of it.

But, the whismy is up to those who understand the medium and get the budgets to do it. So far, not promising.

There is potential in everything, but Disney does not tend to show that, particularly with their recent retheme trends.

Let's get away from the social commentary. Peter Pan existing and making tink merch sales proves Disney does not really care about that, because there are dated charged meanings in The English Language within that repeated multiple times, and in song as well.

Rich T

Frozen Ever After is a better attraction than Maelstrom ever was. It's only failing is where it's located.
Mostly agree, but it’s still an insultingly poor ride and awful use of the IP.

“You’re gonna see Elsa! You’re so lucky!”
“Yay, you’re gonna see Elsa! What a special day!”
“Let it goooooooooooo”
“We don’t have an ending, Olaf. Do that song again.”

The end.

celluloid

Mostly agree, but it’s still an insultingly poor ride and awful use of the IP.

“You’re gonna see Elsa! You’re so lucky!”
“Yay, you’re gonna see Elsa! What a special day!”
“Let it goooooooooooo”
“We don’t have an ending, Olaf. Do that song again.”

The end.

And ruining the great Kinetic Energy the waterfall and boat nearly going over the falls and switch track always had. Just covered up for the sake of some lighting and fog I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom