News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
The budget initially tossed around was far far less. Even if it was $150 mil (which I doubt), don't underestimate Disney's ability to p*** away a fortune and have nothing to show for it. One of the most absurdly wasteful bloated corporations i've ever seen. Frozen reportedly cost $75 mil, which also had existing infrastructure with a mostly identical ride path. It didn't go well to say the least. Splash Mountain is immensely longer and more elaborate than Maelstrom was.
Imagine how far 150mm would have went w a proper Figment Update or using some of those funds to refurb Splash to its former glory.... instead a total waste of money. Not to mention now if you really wanted to get Tiana in the parks it should have been done properly with a brand new ride/restaurant

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Someone suggested earlier that Disney could do a Disney+ documentary of SotS making it a teachable moment, it still might be the smartest thing I’ve read on the forums… it would have been infinitely cheaper than redoing the ride, they’d have gotten new D+ content, and they could have finally put the SotS controversy to rest by acknowledging the pros, cons, realities, and glorification of the film rather than just pretending like it doesn’t exist.
They could just as easily put a screen before each scene in Splash Mountain with Whoopie telling us why we shouldn't be enjoying that part of the ride.

Dear Prudence

Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Fantasia aren’t stuck in the vault, never to be released again, unlike SotS.

There’s no comparison. I would say everything about this is Disney’s fault.
Those are all huge moneymakers that are integral parts of their brand and marketing. Even if they were "as bad," (and I am not someone who quantifies that stuff) they'd find some way to justify it. Because, like, you and I have both said, this is 100000% their fault. Them acting like SOTS isn't their IP and their fault is just BONKERS. The way they act like Splash wasn't in their parks for 30+ years, like they weren't the ones who made it is WILD.

Smiley/OCD

WDW's space mountain is long overdue for a track replacement so wouldn't be surprised if true.
Why is it that every other theme park in the US has tubular steel track coasters and they NEVER have to replace the tracks and yet people keep emphatically stating that the track needs to be replaced? I honestly want to know…
I’m 20 min from Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ and while wheel systems have been changed on cars, track has NEVER been changed (that I’m aware of)…the only time I’ve ever seen/heard of track being replaced is on traditional wooden coasters because the cars have metal wheels on metal tracks and friction of metal on metal will wear out no matter how much grease is used.
On coasters like SM, the wheels are polyurethane or similar…I’m really questioning this…please fill me in on my ignorance.

MrPromey

Why is it that every other theme park in the US has tubular steel track coasters and they NEVER have to replace the tracks and yet people keep emphatically stating that the track needs to be replaced? I honestly want to know…
I’m 20 min from Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ and while wheel systems have been changed on cars, track has NEVER been changed (that I’m aware of)…the only time I’ve ever seen/heard of track being replaced is on traditional wooden coasters because the cars have metal wheels on metal tracks and friction of metal on metal will wear out no matter how much grease is used.
On coasters like SM, the wheels are polyurethane or similar…I’m really questioning this…please fill me in on my ignorance.

I don't have an answer for you but based on your question, I'd also wonder what the deal was with Hulk, then.

Andrew25

Those parks barely see the attendance that WDW and Universal parks do. Universal replaced Hulk for that reason. An indoor coaster like Space Mountain can last a bit longer than that. It's not about how old the attraction is, but how many cycles and the weather conditions it is exposed to.

Space Mountain's track doesn't need to be retracked, but it needs to be replaced for smoother transitions and elements.

LittleBuford

Them acting like SOTS isn't their IP and their fault is just BONKERS. The way they act like Splash wasn't in their parks for 30+ years, like they weren't the ones who made it is WILD.
Disney’s general approach to problematic material is to quietly edit or (when that isn’t possible) bury it. Examples include the Jewish peddler in The Three Little Pigs (changed shortly after WW2 because of its anti-Semitism), Sunflower in Fantasia, and the original lyrics to “Arabian Nights”. I can’t recall a time when they’ve shone a spotlight on the issue or their addressing of it; the discourse surrounding the Splash Mountain retheme is about as close as they’ve come to being direct. That isn’t to excuse their evasive approach; I’m just not surprised by it in the same way you seem to be.

Kirby86

General wear and tear. It dosen't matter if it is a wooden coaster or a steel coaster over time the track will get rough. I guarantee those coasters at Six Flags are rougher now then the day they opened.

Californian Elitist

Those are all huge moneymakers that are integral parts of their brand and marketing. Even if they were "as bad," (and I am not someone who quantifies that stuff) they'd find some way to justify it. Because, like, you and I have both said, this is 100000% their fault. Them acting like SOTS isn't their IP and their fault is just BONKERS. The way they act like Splash wasn't in their parks for 30+ years, like they weren't the ones who made it is WILD.
Great point about marketing and being integral to the brand, Fantasia and Peter Pan especially. Where would we be without Sorcerer Mickey, Tinkerbell, and pixie dust? The same thing can’t be said about SotS. You know what else is marketable? PatF.

This could have been avoided. Oh well.

Smiley/OCD

General wear and tear. It dosen't matter if it is a wooden coaster or a steel coaster over time the track will get rough. I guarantee those coasters at Six Flags are rougher now then the day they opened.
I do realize that…the parks aren’t open 365 and the attendance is no where the same. I was just genuinely curious as to why everyone says the track needs to be replaced…makes sense I feel educated!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do realize that…the parks aren’t open 365 and the attendance is no where the same. I was just genuinely curious as to why everyone says the track needs to be replaced…makes sense I feel educated!
Space Mountain is "rough" for me due to its sharp turns creating big lateral whiplashing. Those turns should have been banked.

I don't get how there is some other kind of "roughness." Vibrational? Wheels chattering? Lots of micro up and down bumps?

Smiley/OCD

Space Mountain is "rough" for me due to its sharp turns creating big lateral whiplashing. Those turns should have been banked.

I don't get how there is some other kind of "roughness." Vibrational? Wheels chattering? Lots of micro up and down bumps?
I agree…I know that because you’re in the dark and can’t “brace” yourself on a dip or turn has a lot to do with it…I still enjoy it although I feel like it’s taking more time to recover after riding it… lol
Maybe all the complaints are coming from all of us “diehards” who’s bodies aren’t the same as they were when we first rode it!
I don’t think they had AARP members in mind when they were designing SM…I guess it IS a young person’s game…lol

Californian Elitist

How? (Asked with sincerity and genuine interest in your opinion.)
By not pretending SotS doesn’t exist and owning up to the mistakes that were made. As stated before, Disney had a big hand in creating stigma surrounding the film. They won’t officially release the movie and won’t give those who’ve never seen it a chance to watch it. And now when people Google SotS, they will not only see that it’s racist, but they will find that Disney is hiding it and therefore can’t watch it (not legally, at least). That creates more tension and strengthens the stigma, when Disney could have been doing things to lessen the stigma. But they refuse. They’ve had nearly 80 years to correct the issue, but they don’t want to.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
By not pretending SotS doesn’t exist and owning up to the mistakes that were made. As stated before, Disney had a big hand in creating stigma surrounding the film. They won’t officially release the movie and won’t give those who’ve never seen it a chance to watch it. And now when people Google SotS, they will not only see that it’s racist, but they will find that Disney is hiding it and therefore can’t watch it (not legally, at least). That creates more tension and strengthens the stigma, when Disney could have been doing things to lessen the stigma. But they refuse. They’ve had nearly 80 years to correct the issue, but they don’t want to.
Just guessing since no one here knows what their true reasons are, but maybe Disney thinks that since the ride itself isn't racist in the slightest, that they don't need to say anything. Just guessing.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Need to show your work on this one. The film did disastrously; it was the seventh-best performing animated film in 2009 (barely beating out Coraline). A year later Tangled made twice as much.
Exactly... thats why i dont buy for 1 minute that Disney was planning to remove Splash and replace it w Tiana a movie that was far from successful....

LittleBuford

Thanks for your response. If I may ask a follow-on question, what do you think stands to be gained by lessening the stigma, and for whom? My sense from your other posts is that you’re no huge fan of the film, so I don’t think you’re hoping for a recuperation of Song of the South itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom