News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Cliff

@BuzzedPotatoHead89 said it best when they said that this all boils down to Disney+, and that's it (minus the Scrooge McDuck slander ;p ). Tiana is getting a new show on Disney+. Which is fine. I think potentially basing a ride off of a Disney+ show is daring and might be the kind of bold move/ breath of fresh air needed. I am devested from Disney, but I hope that folks enjoy it.
My impression is the new ride is not so much meant to promote the show as the show and the ride are both part of a general effort on Disney's part to breathe life into PatF as an IP. The same goes for making sure there is a PatF segment in virtually every nighttime extravaganza they put together while a lot of their bigger hits get shuffled in and out.

They really want to foreground their one African American princess, which is understandable. The problem is that she's in a film that didn't exactly set the world on fire and they seem to want to convince everyone that it's a beloved classic. One example of that is having Harmonious culminate in a long PatF segment with songs I'm sure most guests don't know. Who knows, if they do a good job of the ride that could go some way to creating warmer and fuzzier feelings around the characters and music as people will associate them with Disneyland and WDW.

MerlinTheGoat

The budget initially tossed around was far far less. Even if it was $150 mil (which I doubt), don't underestimate Disney's ability to p*** away a fortune and have nothing to show for it. One of the most absurdly wasteful bloated corporations i've ever seen. Frozen reportedly cost $75 mil, which also had existing infrastructure with a mostly identical ride path. It didn't go well to say the least. Splash Mountain is immensely longer and more elaborate than Maelstrom was.

erasure fan1

I don't really look at number of AAs for this to be succesful. For me it will be the sum of the parts.

Quantity does not mean quality.
I agree. My only issue is that is a BIG area to cover. So if you cut the AAs in half you are left with either
(a) lots of screens to fill the space. Or
(b) a lot of empty space.
I'm not all that excited for either of those situations.

Disney Analyst

I agree. My only issue is that is a BIG area to cover. So if you cut the AAs in half you are left with either

I am more one to assume the best, and wait for the finished product or more details before getting worried.

OrlandoRising

They really want to foreground their one African American princess, which is understandable. The problem is that she's in a film that didn't exactly set the world on fire and they seem to want to convince everyone that it's a beloved classic. One example of that is having Harmonious culminate in a long PatF segment with songs I'm sure most guests don't know. Who knows, if they do a good job of the ride that could go some way to creating warmer and fuzzier feelings around the characters and music as people will associate them with Disneyland and WDW.

You're very inaccurately assuming that box office is the only measure of a film's success. If that were true, there were would many other Disney films absent from the parks that have a presence there currently.

The reason Tiana is pushed so heavily is not just political optics, it's because the film has consistently done very well in home release and merchandising. That has shown the company that the character has staying power. Plus, revenue from merchandise will only grow because of the ride.

FettFan

They’ll probably just re-skin Brer Bear and Brer Fox into Louis and one of the redneck frog hunters.

Splash%20Mountain%20048.jpg

In fact, wouldn’t surprise me if every Louis is just Brer Bear. They’ve got the same giant-pear body shape.

tumblr_l7e0jxPSuV1qd0axho1_1280.jpg

a20791c147d63bb81f8333_m__69597.1598202945.JPG

FettFan

The reason Tiana is pushed so heavily is not just political optics, it's because the film has consistently done very well in home release and merchandising. That has shown the company that the character has staying power. Plus, revenue from merchandise will only grow because of the ride.

Beyond that, Tiana’s is part of “The Brand”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the former splash gift shop just becomes the Princess Depot.

19807799-2A05-4E5F-AEC0-68F19F1993F8.jpeg

Smiley/OCD

In the TRON thread, the budget mentioned was $350 million for the Florida version...what RSR cost 10 years ago.

A decade ago, Mermaid cost around $100 million, and that was a new build dark ride. That number would suggest $150 million for a reskin of an E-ticket like this should be plentiful, especially if they repurpose much of the rock work, figures and overall structure.

It should be enough for a project like this, but I have no idea where money goes with WDI.
Right? It’s almost like a government construction project…

FettFan

Heck, given how Pixie Hollow was scrapped in favor of Dumbo’s Storybook Circus…. We will probably have an influx of Tinkerbell/Fairies merch there too.

Sir_Cliff

You're very inaccurately assuming that box office is the only measure of a film's success. If that were true, there were would many other Disney films absent from the parks that have a presence there currently.

I'm certainly very open to that being true, I'll just be honest and say that I've never seen any reports of it being a film that's popularity has grown over time and that has hung around on DVD/Blu-ray charts and then streaming. I will say the recent SNL sketch that portrayed it as being on Disney- and in which they kept specifying things like "I am the villain from this movie" suggests I'm not the only one who has the impression this hasn't become a beloved classic over time relative to the amount Disney pushes it.

It is, though, part of the Princess franchise which does generate a lot of money in its own right, so it has that.

I should add that I'm not annoyed at the amount they push it, just that it has seemed the case to me that this is a film Disney actively wants to keep alive. By way of comparison, Zootopia was a more recent massive hit and Disney has already virtually forgotten it.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Navi is the example I always use for good use of screens also, when they are used to expand the background or add dimension screens are an amazing tool.

Rat is the example I always use for bad screens, the difference from travelling through amazing physical sets and then getting parked in front of a screen is jarring. If the cars mirrored the movement and/or they tried to conceal the screen edges I think it would help but they did neither, they park you in a big empty room in front of a big screen and you just sit there watching a movie, and then they back you out into amazing physical sets again. Jarring.
I will agree that Na’vi is the best example of how screens, projections, set design and animatronics can work so well together…I like and enjoy Ratatouille, I like the mixture of the set design and screens. To me, MMRR is like going to a drive in movie and leaving your car in drive…it just doesn’t work for me, but that’s ok, I realize there’s something for everyone. At least we both agree Na’vi was done well, it just needs a few more less elaborate AAs.

Animaniac93-98

I'm certainly very open to that being true, I'll just be honest and say that I've never seen any reports of it being a film that's popularity has grown over time and that has hung around on DVD/Blu-ray charts and then streaming. I will say the recent SNL sketch that portrayed it as being on Disney- and in which they kept specifying things like "I am the villain from this movie" suggests I'm not the only one who has the impression this hasn't become a beloved classic over time relative to the amount Disney pushes it.

It is, though, part of the Princess franchise which does generate a lot of money in its own right, so it has that.

I should add that I'm not annoyed at the amount they push it, just that it has seemed the case to me that this is a film Disney actively wants to keep alive. By way of comparison, Zootopia was a more recent massive hit and Disney has already virtually forgotten it.

It also has a lot to do with the franchise focus of Disney's marketing. Anything that doesn't fit into the specific boxes of Princess, Star Wars, Marvel, Toy Story, Frozen etc is at risk of being ignored, regardless of how actually popular it is/was.

It's why a movie like Brave, probably among the least popular of these Princess movies, is still a thing that gets attention.

Sir_Cliff

It's why a movie like Brave, probably among the least popular of these Princess movies, is still a thing that gets attention.
That is, actually, a very analogous example of a film that keeps popping up in the parks despite the fact it doesn't seem like one of the more popular ones in their library. I guess perhaps the trick to survival in the Disneyverse is to get into the Princess franchise!

aladdin2007

The worst part of all this is, no matter the theme or character used etc,,,were losing an iconic Magic Kingdom mountain range that was a main world wide known highlight of the park. That's really sad and downgrading to the park I think. They want to keep downgrading everything anyway, so goodbye mountain hello river run. Im not sure space mountain is long for this world either. I think they put tron next to it for a long term plan reason.

Dear Prudence

My impression is the new ride is not so much meant to promote the show as the show and the ride are both part of a general effort on Disney's part to breathe life into PatF as an IP. The same goes for making sure there is a PatF segment in virtually every nighttime extravaganza they put together while a lot of their bigger hits get shuffled in and out.

As someone who didn't care for the IP and its many, many issues the first time around, I am very relieved to see the attraction (and TV show) helmed by the right people. One of the original trailers for PATF was more interesting and entertaining than the film itself. I feel like both the new entities are going to be as lively and dynamic and engaging as they're trying to make the original film seem like it was. I am going to LOSE IT if the focus of this ride isn't primarily on Tiana, though.

Kirby86

The worst part of all this is, no matter the theme or character used etc,,,were losing an iconic Magic Kingdom mountain range that was a main world wide known highlight of the park. That's really sad and downgrading to the park I think. They want to keep downgrading everything anyway, so goodbye mountain hello river run. Im not sure space mountain is long for this world either. I think they put tron next to it for a long term plan reason.
Space Mountain is pretty rough right now. Most coasters need a retrack every once in a while to smooth out the wear and tear. I'm not saying it should be rethemed but I can see it going down for refurbishment.

Sir_Cliff

As someone who didn't care for the IP and its many, many issues the first time around, I am very relieved to see the attraction (and TV show) helmed by the right people. One of the original trailers for PATF was more interesting and entertaining than the film itself. I feel like both the new entities are going to be as lively and dynamic and engaging as they're trying to make the original film seem like it was. I am going to LOSE IT if the focus of this ride isn't primarily on Tiana, though.
Yes, I really agree. Hopefully they are taking the opportunity of the ride and the new series to make the IP what they want the film to have been. I think particularly the ride is a good chance to help make PatF it's own little world apart from the film itself, which is ironically a little like how Splash created feelings toward the characters and songs from SotS among people who have never seen the film. It seems they are being smart by putting Tiana front and centre and not going the frog route this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom