News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

yensidtlaw1969

The last I heard was $150 million. Seems reasonable, I guess?
Wasn't the Frozen Ever After budget like $60 mil or something?

Splash would need more money to transform just by nature of being a more ambitious attraction than Maelstrom, but $150 mil is still an encouraging number.

They also will likely not be rerouting the flume and ripping out a Theater the way they did for FEA.

Disney Glimpses

Wasn't the Frozen Ever After budget like $60 mil or something?

Splash would need more money to transform just by nature of being a more ambitious attraction than Maelstrom, but $150 mil is still an encouraging number.
I know for a fact that it's the most for a re-theme but that's a bit subjective due to inflation. North of $100 million and the educated guess I was given was $150mm.

yensidtlaw1969

I know for a fact that it's the most for a re-theme but that's a bit subjective due to inflation.
Of course - but considering that Expedition: Everest's $100 Million cost in 2006 is only inflated up to $144,988,095.24 in 2022, $150 Million for Tiana's sounds pretty healthy.

Especially since the bones of Splash are so good - I'd have to guess a good majority of that budget will go to show and theming rather than trying to revise the ride structure or layout beyond shoring it up to brace for the next 30 years of use.

Disney Glimpses

Of course - but considering that Expedition: Everest's $100 Million cost in 2006 is only inflated up to $144,988,095.24 in 2022, $150 Million for Tiana's sounds pretty healthy.

Especially since the bones of Splash are so good - I'd have to guess a good majority of that budget will go to show and theming rather than trying to revise the ride structure or layout beyond shoring it up to brace for the next 30 years of use.
It really isn't a very complex re-theme when you think about it.

Disney Analyst

I have a question, when people say 'Screens' these days. What do they mean or think will be installed?

I fully suspect the attraction will use projection mapping to expand vistas, add to the scenes, create interesting lighting / scenic dynamics. It's a modern redo, I hope it utilizes projections, it's what I expect these days. Projection technology when used correctly is STUNNING.

But I am not expecting Tiana on a screen talking to me instead of an AA.

So again, when people say "Screens" - are you saying you don't want any projection tech?

What does it mean...

Disney Glimpses

For anyone else maybe but for Disney that just barely covers the cost of paint.
I dunno. It's really 3 fairly straight forward scenes. Much of the rest is paint, grass, signage, etc (stuff that's not especially difficult or expensive). The exterior is going to be expensive as well but much of that is being prefabbed off site.

eliza61nyc

Well, if you think screens are awesome and audio animatronics are stupid and old fashioned, you’ll probably love it…as a matter of fact, there’s a group on here that even if the quality is a solid D compared to Splash, they will NEVER admit it.
I think it maybe that quality can be subjective. I hated the great movie ride, I thought it was dull, boring and loathed the cheesy cm interactive thing. So I was beyond happy when they got rid of it (JUST my opinion) so the animatronics imo have not much to do with it. I love pirates. Screens don't bother me and are not inherently bad, neither do animatronics ,which are not imo inherently good. I will say I'm not a fan of old fashioned.

now the last statement can definitely go both ways. there are some old guard here that no matter how good the ride is they will never ever like it because it's not from the golden age of Disney. no matter what the world does the old guard are not going to be happy, the complaints will always range from "it doesn't fit into the theme of XYS, it has screens or we need more rides not renovations".

Smiley/OCD

I think it maybe that quality can be subjective. I hated the great movie ride, I thought it was dull, boring and loathed the cheesy cm interactive thing. So I was beyond happy when they got rid of it (JUST my opinion) so the animatronics imo have not much to do with it. I love pirates. Screens don't bother me and are not inherently bad, neither do animatronics ,which are not imo inherently good. I will say I'm not a fan of old fashioned
No, I agree with you that screens, if done tastefully and in conjunction with other effects including AA’s are fine…I happen to like Na’vi RJ and Ratatouille…I DON’T like MMRR…IMO, it’s just too screen heavy but that’s me…I just REALLY hope they are able to reuse a majority of the SM animatronics, but hey, I know and understand that none of us will be totally happy with whatever ends up being the finished product…some like Geno’s, some like Pat’s, I like Jersey shore cheesesteaks…that’s what makes the world go ‘round. Lol

tanc

Screen Mountain I really hope won't be a thing but I really just want to see how Disney will do it. Will they slap on new paint? The hand sculpted design seems like nightmare to work with. No one knows how this will go except Disney. Even then I'm sure there will be plenty of obstacles in the way. The ride is approaching 40 years old and hasnt been majorly renovated in over 10 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if it approaches $200 million. They presumably are also adding the boat and that's going to be adding the boat on top of the mountain. I'm also curious as to if they will do both at the same time. To me, that sounds disastrous because the quality can be tainted due to inconsistent teams.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
That was the estimate for WDW but also includes the surrounding areas that need theming as well.
Not terible but not great either. A conservative guestimate would be similar to what it cost to retrofit Frozen from Maelstrom.
I have a question, when people say 'Screens' these days. What do they mean or think will be installed?

I fully suspect the attraction will use projection mapping to expand vistas, add to the scenes, create interesting lighting / scenic dynamics. It's a modern redo, I hope it utilizes projections, it's what I expect these days. Projection technology when used correctly is STUNNING.

But I am not expecting Tiana on a screen talking to me instead of an AA.

So again, when people say "Screens" - are you saying you don't want any projection tech?

What does it mean...
Digital flats. TVs and rear projected backdrops with frame or rect. shape usually hidden by props or rockwork.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

"Screens", like "woke" and "cheap", is part of the vocabulary of kneejerk pessimism surrounding such projects. I don't think people use it with much thought.

I think when people say 'Screens' they must think about rides that do indeed park you in front of a screen for a portion or all the ride.

But we already know that won't happen, as we already know the ride layout/movement. We will be sailing past fully realized scenes, with projection mapping at most utilized.

Perhaps they'll throw in some projection moments live in Navi River Journey.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think when people say 'Screens' they must think about rides that do indeed park you in front of a screen for a portion or all the ride.

But we already know that won't happen, as we already know the ride layout/movement. We will be sailing past fully realized scenes, with projection mapping at most utilized.

Perhaps they'll throw in some projection moments live in Navi River Journey.
OR... hear me out... move Star Tours to replace Splash Mountain and simulate a bayou ride and drop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom