Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brer Oswald

They'll probably replace it with Louie or one of the Country Bears.
The characters all come from roughly the same era. Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald are all from late 20/early 30s. Chip and Dale, Dumbo, Pinocchio, And Brer Rabbit are From the 40s. They’d probably go with a Classic Disney film character with a presence in the park (Peter Pan, Dopey, Alice). Or, swap Rabbit for Rabbit and go Oswald.

But it’s Disney. It’s not unlike them to put a completely out of place character (like the Pig from Moana) there. They could also remove all of the statues. Or they could just leave it because taking it away would do nothing.

Phil12

Here's the perfect replacement:

1599074720509.png

AdventureHasAName

I feel sorry for future generations who missed out on the golden era of disney world (exact era is debatable, but any time pre-magic bands/my magic plus). This company shouldn't even bear "Disney"'s name any longer.

I always consider Peak WDW to be August 1994. The Tower of Terror opened on July 22, 1994 and 20k Leagues closed on September 5, 1994. Frank Wells died in April 1994 and Eisner made a mess of almost everything parks-related after his death.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I always consider Peak WDW to be August 1994. The Tower of Terror opened on July 22, 1994 and 20k Leagues closed on September 5, 1994. Frank Wells died in April 1994 and Eisner made a mess of almost everything parks-related after his death.

That's a good choice. I would love to be able to visit that 1994 WDW again -- especially if I could drop present day Animal Kingdom in as well, because it's a great park.

Phil12

Well, it took them awhile, but they have put a proper disclaimer on their racist movies. And please notice that the message is clear.
"These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now,” the warning reads. “Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together. "

However, Song of the South is so racist, they still have the film tightly locked in the vault. Perhaps, now that TWDC has admitted that Walt was a racist, they will one day remove Song of the South from the vault and put a disclaimer on it as well. And put Sunflower back into Fantasia with a disclaimer. And do the same for the other objectionable content.

The re-theme of Splash Mountain is a great way to demonstrate their commitment to his issue and this new disclaimer is clear and unambiguous. They're taking the needed steps.

One step at a time.

Brer Oswald

Well, it took them awhile, but they have put a proper disclaimer on their racist movies. And please notice that the message is clear.
"These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now,” the warning reads. “Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together. "

However, Song of the South is so racist, they still have the film tightly locked in the vault. Perhaps, now that TWDC has admitted that Walt was a racist, they will one day remove Song of the South from the vault and put a disclaimer on it as well. And put Sunflower back into Fantasia with a disclaimer. And do the same for the other objectionable content.

The re-theme of Splash Mountain is a great way to demonstrate their commitment to his issue and this new disclaimer is clear and unambiguous. They're taking the needed steps.

One step at a time.
Song of the South will never come out of the vault. Not because it is “so racist” or even remotely as racist as the films that got the content advisories. But because there is zero monetary gain to doing so. Peter Pan and Dumbo are significant IP to the company. They will never forget about them. Brer Rabbit just isn’t any more.

As for the advisories, well needed. However, advisories should be more specific than this low effort attempt. How are we roping Jungle Book in the same breath as Peter Pan? Where is the racism in Jungle Book? King Louie? Louie Prima is white, so the racism in assuming the character is a black stereotype doesn’t fall in Disney. It falls square on the viewer for making that assumption.

D

Deleted member 107043

And put Sunflower back into Fantasia with a disclaimer. And do the same for the other objectionable content.

I've been a Disney fan since childhood, seen Fantasia numerous times, including multiple viewings in the theater, and never knew about Sunflower until now. I flew to Youtube to see the censored scenes and my jaw is on the floor. Holy crap.

Phil12

Song of the South will never come out of the vault. Not because it is “so racist” or even remotely as racist as the films that got the content advisories. But because there is zero monetary gain to doing so. Peter Pan and Dumbo are significant IP to the company. They will never forget about them. Brer Rabbit just isn’t any more.

As for the advisories, well needed. However, advisories should be more specific than this low effort attempt. How are we roping Jungle Book in the same breath as Peter Pan? Where is the racism in Jungle Book? King Louie? Louie Prima is white, so the racism in assuming the character is a black stereotype doesn’t fall in Disney. It falls square on the viewer for making that assumption.

Brer Oswald

You just linked me an opinion piece that assumes the monkey’s are meant to represent black People with no other reasoning than “it’s obvious”.

The implicit bias in assuming that this connection is implied is itself the problem. The people who jump to this conclusion are the ones with the racist bias.

D

Deleted member 107043

Great article! Thank you for sharing it.

"The images and parallels, promotion and reinforcement of blackface minstrel performance in today’s society is still present and alive in areas many don’t realize."

Kinda like Splash Mountain.

"Perhaps more disturbing is attempting to understand how to respond to such images in our culture. It is difficult to determine the intentionality of these types of images and stereotypes present in The Jungle Book. Are the creators deliberately placing racist material in their films, or are these simply embedded structures that people promote without realizing or understanding the implications of their meaning?

Kinda like Splash Mountain.

"Ultimately, the only way that a society can change is through each individual influence on it. Becoming better educated in historical traditions, mistakes, and problems can help us become more aware of them in today’s society and prevent us from incorporating them into our own productions of art, actions, or words. "

Kinda like Splash Mountain fans who shrug off the attraction's racist characterizations as insignificant.

Phil12

You just linked me an opinion piece that assumes the monkey’s are meant to represent black People with no other reasoning than “it’s obvious”.

The implicit bias in assuming that this connection is implied is itself the problem. The people who jump to this conclusion are the ones with the racist bias.
You seem to have overlooked the fact that TWDC has put a disclaimer on the film that clearly states it contains harmful stereotypes. You may continue to deny that these racist tropes exist, but you're only fooling yourself.

aw14

I recommend having your eyes checked. What you see is a lot bigger than a chip. It's the full weight of the physiological and psychological impact of centuries of institutionalized white supremacy in America.
Institutionalized white supremacy? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stokely Carmichael is that you?

Brer Oswald

You seem to have overlooked the fact that TWDC has put a disclaimer on the film that clearly states it contains harmful stereotypes. You may continue to deny that these racist tropes exist, but you're only fooling yourself.
The 20 year old intern applying a blanket statement disclaimer on Jungle Book doesn’t tell me much of anything.

If they had created a specific disclaimer, presented by a historian with knowledge of the creation of the film, that would be something I could get behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom