Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizknee_Phreek

What about Casey Jr Circus area? Circuses are known for animal cruelty. Chalk that one up for offensive material.

In terms of re-theming SM, I had a thought of another possible tie in. What about Lone Ranger? It would totally fit in with Frontierland. Honestly, haven't seen the movie so no idea if there's anything in it that could be deemed racist or offensive.

manmythlegend

Yes. He also worked at Jungle Cruise, which makes it's disgusting offensiveness that is fully apparent and intentional that much more sickening by his association.

If they shut down Radiator Racer Springs, may as well as close the doors on California Adventure. That would be the ultimate test if Disney values wokeness over money.

manmythlegend

What about Casey Jr Circus area? Circuses are known for animal cruelty. Chalk that one up for offensive material.

In terms of re-theming SM, I had a thought of another possible tie in. What about Lone Ranger? It would totally fit in with Frontierland. Honestly, haven't seen the movie so no idea if there's anything in it that could be deemed racist or offensive.

Lone Ranger = Johnny Depp = No Go Zone

celluloid

If they shut down Radiator Racer Springs, may as well as close the doors on California Adventure. That would be the ultimate test if Disney values wokeness over money.

I hope you realize my extreme points are showcasing cherry picking going on and anything can be offensive because it is a personal thing when there is no intent to offend and arguments for it can be made easily for infinite regression.
With DCA thoughThey may as well anyway, billions more in and that park still can't turn a healthy profit or figure out what it's message or themes are.

21stamps

I don’t have an issue with Tiana having any type of representation, it’s what they want to do with the film and where they want to put it. If they thought there’d be no problems with that choice, they were wrong. All of a sudden, Tiana, one of the least popular princesses, gets to take over one of the most popular attractions in an area that has nothing to do with the right time period or theme, because she’s black and Disney wanted to act like they were listening with all the current stuff in the media. That’s it from Disney’s standpoint whether it fits or not and that’s sad. I already said where I thought it would be nice to see Princess and the Frog in the parks and it wasn’t Frontierland. It would mean more to create a new black heroine who wouldn’t be a frog for most of her film, but Disney’s too busy remaking all of their old movies.

I agree. I wouldn’t bat an eye over Disney adding a Tiana attraction to Fantasyland. I find it absolutely crazy that they decided not only is Splash racist, but the only way to properly replace it is to slap a black princess on said ride.. in Frontierland.
I would have an issue with current princess going on that ride.. I love the neutrality of that area of the park.

I have long since accepted Disney’s stereotypical portrayal of women.. The rub with Princess and the Frog was that they set it up as a “we’re finally acknowledging that women can be independent”, only to then have her give up all of her ambitions to become a frog. 😂🤦‍♀️ Finally with Elsa they got it almost right, and then Moana was perfect, imo.
It took many decades for Disney to get there, but they finally did.

All of that said, I don’t begrudge Disney their former stereotypes.. most of them were a product of their time (even though they should have known better by the time of Ariel and Tiana). I understand the long road though, which is why I don’t call for their demise. Same with CoP. I love that attraction, even while it makes my stomach churn a bit while watching it.. It’s a weird feeling, but I love it because the song is great, and the attraction reminds me that progress has been made.

manmythlegend

I hope you realize my extreme points are showcasing cherry picking going on and anything can be offensive because it is a personal thing when there is no intent to offend and arguments for it can be made easily for infinite regression.
With DCA thoughThey may as well anyway, billions more in and that park still can't turn a healthy profit or figure out what it's message or themes are.

I realize that but what I'm saying is with the way Disney is headed, would any of this really be a surprise? Once the woke crowd starts complaining about something, Disney seems pretty eager to appease them.

SilentWindODoom

How about a legit black princess with some type of deeper story than turning into a frog? How about an attraction to celebrate such a film? This is what people should want, but, they’re fine with the lazy way instead.. Bonus- they get to claim everyone else is racist and asleep for not realizing the racism in the sights and songs on Splash Mountain itself.

Yeah! A real black princess would probably face racism and economical inequality while watching her white contemporaries luxuriate in privilege. She would suffer for her dreams, leading her to get into a mindset of focus on work and forgoing recreation, camaraderie, and even love.

Unfortunately, Princess and the Frog lacked any such depth and Tiana just turned into a frog.

I don’t have an issue with Tiana having any type of representation, it’s what they want to do with the film and where they want to put it. If they thought there’d be no problems with that choice, they were wrong. All of a sudden, Tiana, one of the least popular princesses, gets to take over one of the most popular attractions in an area that has nothing to do with the right time period or theme, because she’s black and Disney wanted to act like they were listening with all the current stuff in the media. That’s it from Disney’s standpoint whether it fits or not and that’s sad. I already said where I thought it would be nice to see Princess and the Frog in the parks and it wasn’t Frontierland. It would mean more to create a new black heroine who wouldn’t be a frog for most of her film, but Disney’s too busy remaking all of their old movies.

The reasoning isn't "Let's throw a Black girl on it to prove we're woke." Splash Mountain takes place in the American South and features a cast of singing animals. Princess and the Frog takes place in the American South and a huge chunk of the cast is, for at least a portion of the film, animals. Double whammy for it taking place in New Orleans given the Disneyland placement. The fact of the matter is that the Magic Kingdom placement of Splash Mountain has NEVER made sense and threw off the initial theming thread of going old-moden and East-West from the Mansion to Pecos Bill's. I think that Tiana being black is gravy in their minds because even if she was white the property would have been the switch that made the most sense.

21stamps

Yeah! A real black princess would probably face racism and economical inequality while watching her white contemporaries luxuriate in privilege. She would suffer for her dreams, leading her to get into a mindset of focus on work and forgoing recreation, camaraderie, and even love.

I can’t share your sentiments here, as I don’t have such a low opinion of black people, sorry.

Musical Mermaid

I agree. I wouldn’t bat an eye over Disney adding a Tiana attraction to Fantasyland. I find it absolutely crazy that they decided not only is Splash racist, but the only way to properly replace it is to slap a black princess on said ride.. in Frontierland.
I would have an issue with current princess going on that ride.. I love the neutrality of that area of the park.

I have long since accepted Disney’s stereotypical portrayal of women.. The rub with Princess and the Frog was that they set it up as a “we’re finally acknowledging that women can be independent”, only to then have her give up all of her ambitions to become a frog. 😂🤦‍♀️ Finally with Elsa they got it almost right, and then Moana was perfect, imo.
It took many decades for Disney to get there, but they finally did.

All of that said, I don’t begrudge Disney their former stereotypes.. most of them were a product of their time (even though they should have known better by the time of Ariel and Tiana). I understand the long road though, which is why I don’t call for their demise. Same with CoP. I love that attraction, even while it makes my stomach churn a bit while watching it.. It’s a weird feeling, but I love it because the song is great, and the attraction reminds me that progress has been made.
They expanded Fantasyland in the last decade. They could have incorporated Tiana with the other princesses. And you know, they did add 3 of my favorite princesses, but I’m not impressed. Beauty and the Beast got a ton of stuff, but does it appeal to everyone? I don’t care about Gaston’s Tavern, I haven’t been able to eat at the Beast’s castle, because he charges so much more than Pecos Bill (Bill even lets me have extra cheese, lettuce, and tomato), and the Belle experience is mostly for little kids. I’d much rather have the ride Tokyo is getting than all of that. Little Mermaid got a better building exterior than ride interior, and Rapunzel, she got restrooms. How exciting. Snow White vacated her spot, but she really didn’t have to. They could have added a Princess and the Frog ride either in Snow White’s old spot or the spot where the coaster went, but nah, it was so much cheaper to make a huge princess meet and greet of the old spot. No, Tiana wasn’t important at that time, only now that people are raising a fuss about an unrelated movie is she important to them.

manmythlegend

The reasoning isn't "Let's throw a Black girl on it to prove we're woke." Splash Mountain takes place in the American South and features a cast of singing animals. Princess and the Frog takes place in the American South and a huge chunk of the cast is, for at least a portion of the film, animals. Double whammy for it taking place in New Orleans given the Disneyland placement. The fact of the matter is that the Magic Kingdom placement of Splash Mountain has NEVER made sense and threw off the initial theming thread of going old-moden and East-West from the Mansion to Pecos Bill's. I think that Tiana being black is gravy in their minds because even if she was white the property would have been the switch that made the most sense.

Guess I'm odd because I found Splash Mountain to be perfectly placed!

manmythlegend

But didn't they cut ties with him based on now proven false allegations?

Are the allegations proven false for sure? And has Disney said anything about it? I haven't been following it that closely but if that were true, it would seem quite odd that they would cut Johnny Depp out of future Pirates movies. Starting a completely new franchise with Margot Robbie as the lead doesn't make much sense when people associate the movies with Johnny Depp and probably always will. The guy is only 57, not like he's Harrison Ford's age.

Dizknee_Phreek

They could have added a Princess and the Frog ride either in Snow White’s old spot or the spot where the coaster went, but nah, it was so much cheaper to make a huge princess meet and greet of the old spot.
My thoughts exactly. That old Snow White attraction spot was prime real estate for a new PatF attraction. Then they could have had an attraction representing African American folklore AND an attraction representing their first African American princess. And, bonus, little girls could have actually ridden the dark ride in Fantasyland.

celluloid

I realize that but what I'm saying is with the way Disney is headed, would any of this really be a surprise? Once the woke crowd starts complaining about something, Disney seems pretty eager to appease them.
They would wait till they lose money and want to gain it before they become that "woke" people need to realize this move was not done because of some loose insensitivity to splash, but rather a marketable way to pay themselves on the back and tell activists how great they are while it is really to pull a Frozen Maelstrom move on a larger scale.
Tron is not going to help MK revenue by itself and over and execs know it and this is of good value since Infastructure remains same.

Musical Mermaid

Guess I'm odd because I found Splash Mountain to be perfectly placed!
I have a genuine question. Other than the ties to the film, which says it’s in Georgia, does Magic Kingdom’s Splash Mountain seem like it could take place in the American frontier? I thought I read that they changed the music style, colors, etc for it to fit at MK and if they went through lengths to change the setting for the ride, then the film setting shouldn’t matter.

Kate F

Just found this beauty on an Instagram post...
CF979A2F-41A8-4877-BB0D-AE9B8EDF4F31.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom