Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

Can we get a list of things that could be considered offensive at the parks?
I currently have
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Native Village (Railroad)
  • Country Bears
  • Peter Pan
  • Dumbo Circus tents
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Haunted Mansion suicide joke
  • American Adventure
  • Chris Pratt starring in a Major E Ticket
  • Zootopia in Shanghai

Tiki Room
WDW Railroad itself(US railroads were in large part were built by asian servants)
CoP
Tom Sawyer's Island
Shootin' Arcade
Big Thunder Mt.
MainStreet USA romantasized and lack of struggles.
All of Liberty Square
Any Toy Story Attraction

Musical Mermaid

Are we going to see complaints in 2030 for Disney being racist for putting their only Black princess in Frontierland? (Oh yes we are.)
Or, Disney will want to do away with Frontierland and pretend like it never existed. It’s a shame they didn’t do more with American legends like Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, or John Henry...or maybe they’re controversial too. I will admit that other than the Disney versions of them, I don’t know much, but I can admit that they would have fit in the theme.

Brer Oswald

I'll take a stab -

Animal Kingdom - cultural appropriation; animals in captivity
Animal Kingdom lodge - cultural appropriation; animals in captivity
Carousel of Progress - sexism; visual reference to female issues with weight

probably something like that... :rolleyes:
The Animal Kingdom stuff seems nitpicky. The animals in captivity doesn’t really work for AK, although it does for Seas.

I’m trying to build a Legit case. Hopefully with some stuff the mob doesn’t want to see go.

Brer Oswald

Tiki Room
WDW Railroad itself(US railroads were in large part were built by asian servants)
CoP
Tom Sawyer's Island
Shootin' Arcade
Big Thunder Mt.
All of Liberty Square
Any Toy Story Attraction
Why Toy Story? Lasseter?
Also why BTM?

Brer Oswald

Or, Disney will want to do away with Frontierland and pretend like it never existed. It’s a shame they didn’t do more with American legends like Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, or John Henry...or maybe they’re controversial too. I will admit that other than the Disney versions of them, I don’t know much, but I can admit that they would have fit in the theme.
No, that would cost money.

orlandogal22

Tiki Room
CoP
Tom Sawyer's Island
Shootin' Arcade
Big Thunder Mt.
All of Liberty Square
Any Toy Story Attraction

Haunted Mansion - romanticizes the occult; makes reference to suicide
Peter Pan - mocking exaggerated representation of Indians
Alice in Wonderland - famous line romanticizes beheading / original author took photos of naked children

and - not to be outdone -
Horses pulling carriages on Main Street - animal abuse; animals in captivity (yes, I actually saw this complaint a few times under an article talking about Tri-Circle-D's reopening's on Disney Parks Blog IG account.

manmythlegend

From a strictly business perspective, I just don't understand why Disney is doing this. Prior to covid, the parks had never been stronger or in better shape, especially with all the expansion plans announced. There were only a handful of people outraged about Splash and some other stuff. If that tiny group of people doesn't want to visit, then oh well, Disney will be okay. Instead, Disney is taking the riskier approach which may anger a much larger segment of their customer base.

I'm not in Iger's shoes so I don't have all the facts he did but based on what I think, I would never have done this.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

From a strictly business perspective, I just don't understand why Disney is doing this. Prior to covid, the parks had never been stronger or in better shape, especially with all the expansion plans announced. There were only a handful of people outraged about Splash and some other stuff. If that tiny group of people doesn't want to visit, then oh well, Disney will be okay. Instead, Disney is taking the riskier approach which may **** off a much larger segment of their customer base.

I'm not in Iger's shoes so I don't have all the facts he did but based on what I think, I would never have done this.
This was Iger’s pet goal. He hates SotS and Splash Mountain. This was the perfect opportunity to do away with it. A shame he didn’t leave a decade ago and D’Amaro wasn’t in the big seat.

Brer Oswald

I know I used to read people kicking around ideas that Toy Story and BTM glorified guns. :rolleyes:

Oh - I guess that does away with the Shootin' Arcade in Frontierland too then.
Shooting Arcade should’ve Unironically left a long time ago. There’s tons of things like that should’ve gone before Splash.

orlandogal22

This was Iger’s pet goal. He hates SotS and Splash Mountain. This was the perfect opportunity to do away with it. A shame he didn’t leave a decade ago and D’Amaro wasn’t in the big seat.

And I believe Eisner came up w/ the name for Splash Mountain.

I am NOT a fan of Iger. When I worked at Disney and Eisner was at our hotel, he came across as very personable, very down to earth - even picked up a small piece of trash that was on the floor and just kept on walking. No airs about him.

Musical Mermaid

I’m looking for legitimate stuff you can make an argument for.
What about Buzz Lightyear’s ride? If you’re going to include the Shootin’ Arcade, does it really matter what shape the laser gun is? You’re still pointing and shooting targets.

For the record, personally I just want to see Buzz Lightyear go because it is outdated, doesn’t fit Tomorrowland, and I can’t even see where my laser is aimed most of the time. But if it helps your list...there’s another possibility.

manmythlegend

And I believe Eisner came up w/ the name for Splash Mountain.

I am NOT a fan of Iger. When I worked at Disney and Eisner was at our hotel, he came across as very personable, very down to earth - even picked up a small piece of trash that was on the floor and just kept on walking. No airs about him.

Iger seems to be a nice guy but unfortunately he is just too woke for me. I really wish Disney would take the politics out of their operations. You would have thought they learned their lesson with that sinking ship ESPN. People stopped watching once it got too political.

manmythlegend

For Toy Story Lasetter should be enough reason. The other Law enforcement and guns.
Big Thunder not only glorifies while simultaneously demonized the Gold Rushers, it also has the Indian Burial Ground and Ghost Locomotive backstory. It offends no matter what background!

If Lasseter's involvement is enough then say goodbye to: Radiator Racer Springs, Monsters Laugh Factory, Ratatouille, and Frozen.

celluloid

If Lasseter's involvement is enough then say goodbye to: Radiator Racer Springs, Monsters Laugh Factory, Ratatouille, and Frozen.

Yes. He also worked at Jungle Cruise, which makes it's disgusting offensiveness that is fully apparent and intentional that much more sickening by his association.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom