Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney is just trying to be inclusive - they aren't going to take all your rides from you. This thread is giving me flashbacks to the '60's and '70's.

Brer Oswald

This goes back to asking for and doing the right thing, from both consumer and company.

Disney casts a black girl as Ariel. Social media was then aflame with #blackgirlmagic and people thrilled that a black girl is playing a traditionally white mermaid. How lazy is that? How would anyone expect better than to slap Tiana on Splash, when Disney knows that cheers will result, from the same crowd.

Tiana’s story is problematic outside of race.. but no one cares.. because, Disney is (re) theming a ride to her! Look how socially conscious they are! I’m going to Disney World Now!

How about a legit black princess with some type of deeper story than turning into a frog? How about an attraction to celebrate such a film? This is what people should want, but, they’re fine with the lazy way instead.. Bonus- they get to claim everyone else is racist and asleep for not realizing the racism in the sights and songs on Splash Mountain itself.
All while not realizing that the only black written story in the parks is getting rethemed to another white written story.

aw14

Disney is just trying to be inclusive - they aren't going to take all your rides from you. This thread is giving me flashbacks to the '60's and '70's.
Inclusive when they weren’t exclusive in the first place?

Brer Oswald

Darn those greedy Disney prophets. You can never foresee what they're going to do.
You think I’m being sarcastic, but you know that’s why they did this right? The only people buying Splash merch are Park fans, and they’ll buy it whether the ride is open or not.

It’s also cheaper to maintain a screen ride than an animatronic heavy ride.

manmythlegend

The question is what are they taking and what are they giving. If they take Splash, Pirates, Haunted, and Tom Sawyer and gives us Princess & The Frog, Moana, Wreck it Ralph and Onward, I've got an issue with that.

Musical Mermaid

This goes back to asking for and doing the right thing, from both consumer and company.

Disney casts a black girl as Ariel. Social media was then aflame with #blackgirlmagic and people thrilled that a black girl is playing a traditionally white mermaid. How lazy is that? How would anyone expect better than to slap Tiana on Splash, when Disney knows that cheers will result, from the same crowd.

Tiana’s story is problematic outside of race.. but no one cares.. because, Disney is (re) theming a ride to her! Look how socially conscious they are! I’m going to Disney World Now!

How about a legit black princess with some type of deeper story than turning into a frog? How about an attraction to celebrate such a film? This is what people should want, but, they’re fine with the lazy way instead.. Bonus- they get to claim everyone else is racist and asleep for not realizing the racism in the sights and songs on Splash Mountain itself.
I don’t have an issue with Tiana having any type of representation, it’s what they want to do with the film and where they want to put it. If they thought there’d be no problems with that choice, they were wrong. All of a sudden, Tiana, one of the least popular princesses, gets to take over one of the most popular attractions in an area that has nothing to do with the right time period or theme, because she’s black and Disney wanted to act like they were listening with all the current stuff in the media. That’s it from Disney’s standpoint whether it fits or not and that’s sad. I already said where I thought it would be nice to see Princess and the Frog in the parks and it wasn’t Frontierland. It would mean more to create a new black heroine who wouldn’t be a frog for most of her film, but Disney’s too busy remaking all of their old movies.

orlandogal22

I get Small World and TSI. Could you please explain the others?

I'll take a stab -

Animal Kingdom - cultural appropriation; animals in captivity
Animal Kingdom lodge - cultural appropriation; animals in captivity
Carousel of Progress - sexism; visual reference to female issues with weight

probably something like that... :rolleyes:

Brer Oswald

By the way, I just watched PatF last night and the music, while entertaining, doesn't even begin to approach the greatness that is Zip a Dee Doo Dah!
I hope they write new music. Not that I have much faith in them being able to make a Classic Disney song again (they sure didn’t with Runaway Railway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom