Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon Joe

What about every other minority group in the country? Don't they have a say? Do you really want to find out what Dominicans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans, Cambodians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Mexicans, Cubans think of African Americans?

You honestly think 'white' people are the problem? White people are the only 'true' racists? Lol

Some of you really need to get out more.

Oddly enough, in my experience, the racists really are white people who think that they own the thoughts, feelings, and experience of minorities like me. There's one in this thread discounting my whole family's experience because it doesn't match what he believes to be true. It's sad, really.

disneygeek90

The “general” fan base reaction spread looks a whole lot different that the yes/no poll posted here.
FA7D0AAB-DE53-4900-9B5E-0DDF071DCFA3.jpeg

TJinSF

Impressive. $11 billion... heck if it were $12 billion then I'd give them a pass. I was being facetious when I said I didn't know about Song of the South. That said, please do tell me which parts of the attraction pay homage to Racism. I'll be waiting.

I don't think you understand what "facetious" means. "I didn't even know what song of the south was or how it was related to Splash" is not facetious. It's, apparently, a lie, and a pointless one too. I hope you're not holding your breath while you wait, because you'll be waiting a while. I'm not one of those who put forward the requests for a change, but you can read about their arguments in this thread.

bryanfze55

Way to listen to a long suffering oppressed minority.

So commit to actual societal changes that will help said minority group. Bring about meaningful change. Getting rid of Splash Mountain is the equivalent of lip service... My money says we’ll keep doing minor symbolic gestures to appease the oppressed and never get around to meaningful reform.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I seem to recall you being against the change two weeks ago. As were a majority of people who seem to be claiming this as the “best thing since sliced bread”.

I was wrong.

And I wasn't making the case it was the best thing since sliced bread. You seemed to have forgotten that I was very critical of Splash Mountain's portrayal of Southern stereotypes.

However, I thought the whitewashing of the elements of the movie were enough to satisfy those of African descent, and the lack of knowledge of SotS would put it low on the list of systemic racist things that should change.

But, I've seen the conversation that has happened in the country since then. I have seen the majority of American get on board with a sweeping change and not just on 'the worst parts.'

So, I'm more than ready to be on board with this change.

Remember, I was also arguing that SotS is without any doubt racist.

Last edited:

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Ummm... beige isn't the color, but you're actually right about one of the proposed changes. That and major changes to the African portion and section of the ride.
The White Room in IASW is breathtaking. I unironically love that ride and that room. And I love Splash.

I would love to have a PatF ride - but let's build new things instead of replacing the old.

DisneyGigi

I thought Song of the South was never released on DVD.
Technically I guess it wasn’t. I got mine years ago at a roadside gift shop.

I saw the movie when I was 6 at school in the early 80s. Always loved it and was tickled to death to find it. :) Gonna say most diehard Disney fans own it.
E1A38C07-12C7-4A26-813A-B24FCAEA11B0.jpeg

willtravel

Just a way for Disney to bring a somewhat current IP (with merchandising) to the park. Watch out HOP, TSI, and CBJ..... I find it strange that it took this long. SM merchandise is going to be in high demand.

Thank heaven for Martins Videos. After they took down Fountain of Nations my interest in WDW has waned. I know out with the old and bring in IP's. Progress...................

DarkMetroid567

Oddly enough, in my experience, the racists really are white people who think that they own the thoughts, feelings, and experience of minorities like me. There's one in this thread discounting my whole family's experience because it doesn't match what he believes to be true. It's sad, really.
right; I think a lot of people miss that yeah, everyone can almost certainly be racist, but there’s a difference between individual racist treatment and the Established Racism that has persisted in a state. the leaders, imagineers, etc all mostly come from one race, and they’re not coming from africa or asia or latin america...

WDW Pro

I was wrong.

And I wasn't making the case it was the best thing since sliced bread. You seemed to have forgotten that I was very critical of Splash Mountain's portrayal of Southern stereotypes.

However, I thought the whitewashing of the elements of the movie were enough to satisfy those of African descent, and the lack of knowledge of SotS would put it low on the list of system racist things that should change.

But, I've seen the conversation that has happened in the country since then. I have seen the majority of American get on board with a sweeping change and not just on 'the worst parts.'

So, I'm more than ready to be on board with this change.

Remember, I was also arguing that SotS is without any doubt racist.

It's 2016 all over again, and we're just sitting on loop. No lessons learned, same people who had no clue still have no clue. People racing to outwoke each other, scared they won't be woke enough, changing their own views to be woker, all while the average person sits quietly sickened by the stupidity of it all.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can I just say...
One of the most popular rides and highest rated attractions at the resort.
Out of all the fish to fry at WDW, this should be near the bottom of the list.

No, because you keep saying it over and over again and keep missing the point.

It's not about adding a new ride. It's not about finding a place for Tiana.

It's about getting rid of any references to a racist movie, regardless of how whitewashed that association tried to be.

prfctlyximprct

I just don’t understand if the last public showings were in 1986 and then the ride was built in 1992, why did they decide to use this controversial theme to begin with? Honestly just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom