Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

davis_unoxx

the fan base behind splash mountain, and a popular rapper even has a son based on it.

Does Disney not realize the giant following this ride has?

Last edited:

bryanfze55

It's a Small World is likely to receive changes, but Carousel of Progress will soon be given the Stitch Treatment. That's the word I've got from someone connected to the committee working on these changes. If you want to enjoy CoP, you'd better ride it soon, because just like Br'er Rabbit, there might not be a great big beautiful tomorrow much longer.

Is that because CoP suddenly offends people, or...? I feel like it’s been on the chopping block forever just due to being outdated.

SpoiledBlueMilk

It's a Small World is likely to receive changes, but Carousel of Progress will soon be given the Stitch Treatment. That's the word I've got from someone connected to the committee working on these changes. If you want to enjoy CoP, you'd better ride it soon, because just like Br'er Rabbit, there might not be a great big beautiful tomorrow much longer.
Again - an outrage.

I guess I'm in the minority. CBJ, Tiki Room and CoP are my favorites.

rle4lunch

If this change can get us a QS or TS restaurant serving gumbo, jambalaya and beignets in the MK, then I'm all for it.
Lol don't hold your breath. One of our spots every visit to DL is to get some gumbo and a mint julip in NO Square. And the beignets served there are the same as downtown New Orleans Cafe du monde (without smelling homeless persons urine is a plus too! )

Jlasoon

Yeah! Minorities shouldn't have any say on what is and isn't offensive!

...wait...
What about every other minority group in the country? Don't they have a say? Do you really want to find out what Dominicans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans, Cambodians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Mexicans, Cubans think of African Americans?

You honestly think 'white' people are the problem? White people are the only 'true' racists? Lol

Some of you really need to get out more.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not content- The Jamboree suffers from the poisonous combination of high maintenance costs and low attendance.
It doesn't have low attendance except during early morning and late night. It's always full when I attend (especially during the afternoons).

If they're worried about cost, then they should just adjust its evening hours. I believe it opens at 10:00 am.

WDWmazprty

I did not call for these changes, but I certainly won't be taking history lessons from people who don't understand that SotS is set duding Reconstruction, not "the times of slavery." Perhaps others are interested, but I don't need a lecture about "how things were back then" from someone who doesn't know when "then" was.

Reconstructon or not, slavery or at least the attitude toward it, was still around. And, being a movie that was from Disney, I'm sure the point of the movie wasn't to show the grim reality of slavery, Reconstruction, or whatever..... the setting of the movie was about that. Once again, being a DISNEY movie, the focus was on positivity, life lessons, characters, and songs. Oh, and it is a MOVIE. At the end of the day you have to remember that. That's with ANY movie. It's not always about reality.
When I saw this movie I already knew about how things were in those times from school and my parents. I knew it was bad times and unjust. But it sure was nice to see a movie, even set in those turbulent times, bring out a little positivity and memorable characters.

Father Robinson

If you don't get why they're changing Splash Mountain then the whole problem went over your head.
Because social media is the most powerful force on the planet now and if something controversial on there applies to big companies, you can be darn sure they'll address it. If not for social media, we'd be riding SM and singing Zippady Do Dah for a long long time.

Last edited:

RoysCabin

Reconstructon or not, slavery or at least the attitude toward it, was still around. And, being a movie that was from Disney, I'm sure the point of the movie wasn't to show the grim reality of slavery, Reconstruction, or whatever..... the setting of the movie was about that. Once again, being a DISNEY movie, the focus was on positivity, life lessons, characters, and songs. Oh, and it is a MOVIE. At the end of the day you have to remember that. That's with ANY movie. It's not always about reality.
When I saw this movie I already knew about how things were in those times from school and my parents. I knew it was bad times and unjust. But it sure was nice to see a movie, even set in those turbulent times, bring out a little positivity and memorable characters.
I mean, not for nothing, but do you think there's a reason we don't tend to get films made depicting happy people singing with animated birds, but set in Third Reich Germany?

I guess The Sound of Music shows a mostly happy world, but much of its dramatic tension, particularly in its second act, is at least built around acknowledging and confronting the very real dangers and terrors of that era. Given that the NAACP even criticized SotS upon its initial release, these are not new criticisms.

EDIT: I also keep seeing people saying that Disney "gave into the mob" or "the outrage" or whatever, but can we actually see evidence of widespread, mainstream calls for the removal of the Brer Rabbit story from Splash that got any traction? As of now I don't see a reason to doubt that Disney had this planned back in 2019, given the detail in the concept art, so I'm not sure where people are getting that from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom