Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

Let me guess, CBJ is leaving because of Trixie.
5b4a0ec602a0c8da3ae2948e722948e2.jpg

Meanwhile, my favorite characters from that show are The Sun Bonnets.
Sun%20Bonnet%20Trio%202.jpg

Not content- The Jamboree suffers from the poisonous combination of high maintenance costs and low attendance.

WDWmazprty

So bad. Horrible how overly sensitive everyone is. Song of the South is a movie set during the times of slavery. IT HAPPENED. The movie shows how storytelling and imagination can take you someplace else and teach you life lessons. Uncle Remus was the story teller, who taught Johnny, a little white boy, about life....I think thats pretty great.... Again, since the movie took place in slavery times, everything in the movie showed how things were back then. In the end, everything was alright and you left remembering Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and every other character in Uncle Remus' stories....what in the world is wrong with that?
I remember seeing this as a kid and I loved the movie! Oh, and by the way, my father is Spanish and my mother is black! I never saw a problem with the movie. It's a movie set in a period of HISTORY. Whether we like it or not, it's part of the HISTORY of this country. Aaaaaaand frankly I never actually thought about slavery when on Splash Mountain anyway :rolleyes:

Now, the great Splash Mountain has to be changed? SMH. I love the Princess and the Frog. I have nothing against it. It's the reason Splash was changed that makes me upset. Buuuutt, Princess and the Frog has had its critiques about racial themes as well...will it be any better? Maybe now nothing will be brought out, but eventually someone will probably have a complaint about that too. 1920's era, poor black family, Tianas friend is a rich white Southern Belle who's family are rich, etc., etc.....

For me, not a problem...this was life back in that time. Just because you put it in a movie doesn't mean you promote the way things were or have an opinion about it.
SIGH....I guess we'll have to say goodbye to Splash and put it in the vault with now. SMH. Congrats Tiana! I know I will like your ride but I will always miss your predecessor.

WDW Pro

Let me guess, CBJ is leaving because of Trixie.
5b4a0ec602a0c8da3ae2948e722948e2.jpg

Meanwhile, my favorite characters from that show are The Sun Bonnets.
Sun%20Bonnet%20Trio%202.jpg

If you all think it's just Splash Mountain and CBJ, you're wrong. I gave the list of attractions, and that thread was moved to politics where it was not seen nearly as much. There's a committee looking at attractions and experiences, they were set up weeks ago, this Splash Mountain change was a rapid decision based on blue sky documents from over a year ago that were never expected to see the light of day.

If you're on the side of these changes, it's a great day for you. If you're against these changes, you'd better make your voice heard because this is just the beginning. People are severely underestimating what is coming... and where these funds are coming from.

RoysCabin

That's funny because if it's so systemic, my inter-racial parents sure seem to have thrived even living in the deep South in the 60s with a gaggle of brown-skinned kids in tow. I never grew up with a disadvantage due to the color of my skin. FWIW, the only racism I have ever experienced (and repeatedly) has been from white people who hated me because they thought that I should think in a manner according to their false preconceptions.
I'm not sure why an anecdote is supposed to be helpful, particularly since your parents absolutely were discriminated against within the country during that era; for example, they would not have been allowed to move to the state of Virginia until the Loving decision in 1967 deemed bans on interracial marriages unconstitutional.

And if you had a positive childhood free from discrimination, mistreatment, or even subtle forms of racism (e.g. fewer calls back for job interviews, rules in restaurants on clothing clearly tailored to target certain minority communities, harsher treatment by authorities without reasonable suspicion even down to treatment in a classroom by teachers, etc.), that's great! Unfortunately, that hasn't been the story born out by either the narratives nor the data for the majority of non-white people in American history. Heck, even the Irish weren't considered white upon arriving here and were treated terribly in the mid-19th century, which only changed after a time due to the loss of the native Irish accent after a couple of generations, among other factors.

EDIT: Gotta say, reacting with the "laughing face" emoticon really shows you're not interested in any actual discussion, but that you'd rather post like, well, an older baby boomer on Facebook. In which case, if that's what you'd like...well then, OK, Boomer.

brb1006

Thanks for sharing this lol.

Congrats to all who made the list.

Gotta love the person who tweeted that our forum “makes me physically sick.” You see, any of us who disagree with removing Splash Mountain are indeed racist. I didn’t know my opinions were so revolting that they cause people physical harm. I have a lot of thinking to do.
The replies from that post is priceless.

J_Carioca

I'm shocked...that people on this forum were somehow blindsided by the fact that a company that actively promotes and encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion would not do something like this eventually. Then again, knowing the average attitude of a lot of people here I'm kind of equally not surprised? As if the thinly-veiled dog whistling this thread disguised as outrage for the change of an iconic attraction wasn't all I needed to know that.

Just so you know, there are people on here who are solely outraged at losing Splash. I am devastated, and it's not because of Disney bowing to petitions or twitter or whatever. It's purely about losing my favorite ride, a ride that brings back so many happy memories that I get teary even thinking about it. Don't assume, or insinuate, that all the people who are upset about this are racist. I understand the background of the ride and why the movie is problematic, but I don't think the solution is to wallpaper over it and act like it never happened. As I mentioned in another thread, there are a million ways that Disney could open up a discussion about racial equality and they would be much more meaningful than slapping PATF projections onto Splash Mountain.

Oskar

If you all think it's just Splash Mountain and CBJ, you're wrong. I gave the list of attractions, and that thread was moved to politics where it was not seen nearly as much. There's a committee looking at attractions and experiences, they were set up weeks ago, this Splash Mountain change was a rapid decision based on blue sky documents from over a year ago that were never expected to see the light of day.

If you're on the side of these changes, it's a great day for you. If you're against these changes, you'd better make your voice heard because this is just the beginning. People are severely underestimating what is coming... and where these funds are coming from.

Where are the funds coming from?

Reactions: 412

RSoxNo1

Has Disney announced the plans yet to remove George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, and Ulysses S. Grant from The Hall of Presidents? They all owned slaves (some only 1, and for a very brief period of time) and they need to go now!

Washington also needs to be removed from the American Adventure, along with Benjamin Franklin (owned 2 slaves for a very short time, but was against slavery as he got older) and Mark Twain! (Did not own slaves, was against slavery, but briefly served in a local Confederate militia at the beginning of the Civil War for 2 weeks)
Considering that there have been countless incidents of people yelling during the last two iterations of Hall of Presidents, I would absolutely consider it as fodder for replacement. Would people accept an abridged version of Hamilton in this space?

davis_unoxx

Let’s go protest in front of the Bobs houses? Also maybe they should get rid of their armed security details because the mob wants to abolish the police?
Also shouldn’t we get rid of security guards at Disney due to racial profiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom