Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Speak for yourself I’ve got two jobs right now.

I'm talking for our generation, which statistically is still suffering from unemployment and underemployment compared to other generations before ours. There are outliers like you and me.

mbuscemi23

Think about how terrible of a business decision that is. Disney, however, is a soundly-run business, even if fans don't always agree with their decisions. That concept art did not get slapped together in an afternoon. This has been planned, likely for awhile, and Disney is capitalizing on the current political climate with their wording and timing of the announcement.
That makes sense especially considering the financial situation of the company... this project is clearly trying to send a bold message, garner some sympathetic press, and breathe life into their stock price

BigDlover

I know this is probably not going to be seen by anyone. I seriously doubt we can say this is part of cancel culture.

They likely have been planning this for a while. Concept Art like this doesn’t come out of nowhere.
I disagree, Disney is not exempt from it. They can choose not to act on petitions but it makes them look like they don't care about the issue. The petitions started a few weeks ago and that's plenty of time to make some concept art. It's just one piece of concept art - things change from concept art all the time. I don't believe that this was being planned before the petitions.

Yert3

Yeah. Some of the replies here are flat out ridiculous. It's a freaking retheme people! Get over yourselves!
This isn’t just about the politics of the situation, at least for me. I said “enough is enough” when they ended IllumiNations. For me, this is about ending yet another iconic Disney experience. I even think TTA is iconic. For as simple as TTA is, I would be devastated if that was taken out more than I would be with Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise is a classic opening day attraction, but I don’t think it’s iconic. To me, there’s a difference between classic and Iconic. IllumiNations was iconic and had no right to be discontinued.

TJinSF

You're on a DISNEY. FAN. SITE. If you think you're going to be able to get away with bashing classic, historical, beloved attractions by hundreds of Disney fans here, then you're delusional.

"Get away with" what? A difference of opinion? Splash is one of my favorite rides and I will miss it very much. Yet I think those who never cared for it are entitled to their opinion too. The gatekeeping in fan communities is really offputting sometimes. No matter how many hours of our lives we've whiled away talking and reading about Disney parks, and I include myself in that, none of us should feel entitled to dictate whether others will "get away with" a dissenting opinion about our favorite rides, even the most widely beloved.

jaklgreen

I've heard good things about Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! and Frozen Ever After.

Guardians of the Galaxy- Mission Breakout is great. It is very well done and so much better then tower of terror. It is funny along with the thrill aspect of it. Not to mention the queue is amazing. I wish they would change the DHS tower of terror.

Roy G. Dis

Can we retheme all of Epcot World Showcase since it's appropriating cultures? How about Frontierland since we took over the land from Native Americans? How about Liberty Square since we are celebrating colonolization? Also wasn't Walt friends with that German leader?

Please, sir, please! These are all excellent ideas. One at a time, please!

By the way, did you ever notice that USA is flanked by not France and England, its closest allies in WW2, but Italy and Japan? And then Germany next to Italy. Really makes you think......

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If this is actually going to happen, and relatively soon, I'm sure there are execs positively salivating at the thought of "so long Splash Mountain" merch they can shift. Like Great Movie Ride and Reflections times 100.
Exact opposite, you're going to see all that stuff disappear quicker than @realBobChapek hairline. Splash is a liability now. I wouldn't be surprised that when they keep the ride closed they turn off all the outdoor lightning and put construction walls up asap.

Clover Bailey

Look, I am extremely frustrated about this decision. I think this is a disastrous move on the behalf of Disney made with such little respect towards one of their most iconic masterpieces of an attraction. Splash Mountain is my favourite attraction in the Magic Kingdom and I will be heartbroken if this refurb goes through. I love Princess And The Frog, but they should seriously build it's own attractions somewhere else.

With that being said, can we PLEASE stop with all of these sarcastic "no muh snowflakes triggered about facts over feelings" comments? Seriously, I'm seeing tons of people in this thread drawing up an SJW strawman to pin the blame of this change on. I haven't seen anyone, even the most determined of activists, complain about this attraction in any sense. Disney isn't making this decision to appease the "liberal agenda", they're doing it because they have no idea about what's important to focus on improving, destroying classic attractions that don't need to be changed so drastically. It's clear the taboo of the source material is a key factor in this update, but I think this rather because Disney is so scared of themselves for owning such a controversial IP, and they believe that sweeping it under the rug will fix this.

Racism is a serious issue that is still being caused by systemic oppression and ignorance around the world, and the people fighting it aren't just some silly caricature you can point fingers at over a ride closing. I'm not denying the existence of the more hyperbolic critics out there, but do you really think that many people are getting so outraged over a random Disney ride? Very few people who actually go on the damn ride are aware of the history behind it.

It was the same issue with changing Pirates. Disney made a dumb move and messed up a classic attraction, but instead up putting the blame squarely on Disney, fans created a ghost figure screaming "SEXIST" to tear apart as a political outlet, instead of actually fighting the company that made the change. When the Save Mr. Toad campaign took place, protesters never made claims about sensitive snowflake activists calling it offensive to drunk drivers, they just faced the pure facts that Disney was making a decision they didn't agree with.

Disney Analyst

And that it why I said it was an ignorant post.

Ahh.. So people shouldn’t be upset about it. You think it is funny to watch people get mad about something they like or care about.

People can react however they want to, I just find it entertaining as the reaction was predictable, and I am sure Disney also anticipated it and won't care.

So react, be sad, angry, burn your pass, don't go back. I'll react how I see fit. Just as you will.

But Disney is still gonna "take us there, take us there, take us all the way there. Cause we're going down the bayou, going down the bayou, going down the bayou, taking us alllll, the way!" 🎷🎵

Sundown

"Social justice" does not exist. If it does, the followers & practitioners intent then is to make the entire civilization (as defined by them) adhere to what is "just" (as defined by them). How tolerant! Point this logic out to them...and you're a (ludite, racist, bigot, denier, etc, etc) Straight out of a certain manifesto...

article-6420-art5ef26badd6653.jpg

_caleb

I'm not offended, I'm saddened that Disney is removing a beloved ride to appease people like you. People who will never be happy because they get out of bed in the morning looking to be offended.
I totally get being sad about the loss of this ride. It sounds like you might be lumping me in with other people who are offended, but I'm not sure why.

the.dreamfinder

I think at the end of the day that as long as Disney is unwilling to show the movie, the ride is going to bear the brunt of any criticisms that the IP faces. Are we really surprised that they’re ditching a ride based on a movie they’ve actively avoided for decades?
They really should just put the movie out. This forbidden fruit thing has blown up in their face.

sublimesting

Tiana is beloved by many little girls, especially little black girls.
I think a new ride would be in order. Heck put it in the American Pavilion at EPCOT. Seems way more fitting for theming AND it’s a perfect river style attraction that the country area was supposed to have at each land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom