Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buried20KLeague

Tokyo just went way up our todo (again) list .. their splash mountain has a nice restaurant (QS) .. and it's (so far) not on the chopping block

The OLC will see Splash for exactly what it is (a classic, extremely popular Disney attraction with a fantastic soundtrack and good story), won't over-react, and won't touch their version.

And then they'll likely quietly snicker at the stateside parks. As usual.

Yert3

This will not happen for a long time. This is lip service to calm the narrative regarding the ride. Disney is hemorrhaging money with the parks being closed. I am sure EPCOT will drastically reduce its expansion and I doubt any capital investments will be put on hold atleast 5 years IMO!
This is something I’m hoping for. They claim they’re losing tons and tons of money, yet found a place in their budget for this? I can totally see this being something just to pacify the crowd and have it quietly canceled when the budget doesn’t allow it. That could just be my wishful thinking though.

hokielutz

I do think this has been announced prematurely, particularly when Bob Weis is talking about some construction projects already underway at the parks needing to be restarted gradually.

Add in the economic difficulties, and noting that Universal are laying off Florida park employees, you do question why Disney would announce this now when so much is uncertain - there are no real details, no dates, one piece of concept art. It's obviously positive press in the short-term, but any goodwill will disappear pretty quickly if this project runs into difficulties.

Bingo!! This was not in the planning stages for over a year. It was an executive decision with a quick but beautiful piece of art put together to announce the change and head off any opening day headaches.

The_Jobu

That's what ties my two arguments together. Disney decides.

That's not an argument. Everyone knows Disney does what they want with their property, that's not being debated.

Your argument is that if "enough people" want something gone, then get rid of it. You see how that is completely arbitrary and useless?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Now that is the darkest timeline...
Do you think Disney is going to give the current iteration a going away celebration and sell T-Shirts, cupcakes, and other cr@p like they have done so with recently closed attractions?

Splash Mountain by decree of the woke mob is now at the level or worse than (insert your own despot evil dictator).

Angelo721

You know if some of us do not like this change we can....wait for it.

Not go to Disney.

All of us here will go if it is Splash Mountain or Tiana's Mountain or The Storm Trooper Splashtacular.

I agree that this is a bad president to continue (Pirates Auction Scene was the first).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also Disney is wasting a perfectly good opportunity to build a new water ride.. the parks could use more desperately!

This isn't about retheming to what Disney considers a more attractive IP like with Frozen Ever After.

This is all about killing off references to Song of the South. And they're doing it with an IP that is likely to be a very intentional message.

note2001

I support this change, but I think they've done a disservice to the Princess and the Frog movie by setting this "after the final kiss". How will they build up the fear of the drop if they don't even have Dr Facilier and his spirits to taunt us? Perhaps they were afraid that would eventually be called out as improper too?

I want the props they're removing from this ride.

Last edited:

lebeau

That's not an argument. Everyone knows Disney does what they want with their property, that's not being debated.

Your argument is that if "enough people" want something gone, then get rid of it. You see how that is completely arbitrary and useless?

You're really focused on that. "Enough" is whatever Disney decides. I'm not even sure what point you're arguing now because you agree with me.

What are you upset about again?

Oskar

Sure but is PATF really resonating with today’s kids? It’s already 11 years old. Not to mention princess overload.

I think Tiana does - it has some great characters, a few memorable songs.

It's a good film, and if Disney feel it's resonated enough to be worth re-theming one of their most iconic park attractions, hopefully it might open their mind to producing more 2D animated films.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m rarely an extremist, but yes. This is just one example.

The issue is that Disney isn’t changing this ride because it’s unpopular, outdated, or bad... they’re changing a pinnacle of Imagineering art in order to appease a handful of SJWs who’ve never accomplished a damn thing in their life.

So sorry to hear you're against social justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom