Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

They were already doing that. She was by far one of the most direct and confrontational women interviewers. She earned that, without sleeping around, without cheating, just by outperforming men. Yet she was still always ridiculed as a “dumb blonde”, because we hold on to our stereotypes.
So, she fit every stereotype that night, and still did just as good as she always does.

It was a ballsy move and super impressive, to me. I do understand that not everyone may feel the same.. but I’ll always remember that as a “win” for all blondes who have dealt with the same sexist comments throughout their careers. 😂😂

I never knew anyone called her a dumb blonde.

I knew her as aggressive, confrontational, and often had admittedly very good interviews, but never knew her being ridiculed as a dumb blonde. Who called her that? (genuinely asking).

Anyways, like I said before, I never was a big fan of her - just not my cup of tea - though I respect her and her body of work (no pun intended).

I still stand by my belief it was an inappropriate choice for that evening. You can be empowered but when you come out wearing something that obviously is going to look out of place, it's less about the statement and more about the attention. JMHO.

LittleBuford

You do realize the entire notion of Disney’s decision not being the result of people’s demands is predicated on whether or not the idea was already in the works, right? And even if it was, like you said, the timing certainly isn’t coincidental. In my opinion, while I can believe this idea may have existed within WDI given the direction things have been going the past few years, it was either not already green lit or early enough in development where it was of no immediate concern. So, at least to some degree, Disney is in fact directly reacting to the demands of a relative few.

I don’t think I’m saying anything fundamentally different from this. Yes, Disney is responding to current events, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say that the calls have been loud or numerous enough to force their hand. If anything, the current economic crisis gave them the perfect excuse to simply ignore these (relatively muted) calls.

The Grand Inquisitor

I knew her as aggressive, confrontational, and often had admittedly very good interviews, but never knew her being ridiculed as a dumb blonde. Who called her that? (genuinely asking).

Anyways, like I said before, I never was a big fan of her - just not my cup of tea - though I respect her and her body of work (no pun intended).

I still stand by my belief it was an inappropriate choice for that evening. You can be empowered but when you come out wearing something that obviously is going to look out of place, it's less about the statement and more about the attention. JMHO.
I've heard a lot of people refer to her as bad stuff. heck my very liberal grandparents said she was a dumb blonde . It's sad how people were so rude to her. It's disgusting and sad how women are truly treated in the media. Especially Conservative and Republican women.

ImperfectPixie

Agreed. It's all about the attention.

21stamps

Agreed. It's all about the attention.

There were tons of memes and nasty sayings about her well before that night.

Anyway, here’s one of many examples throughout her career..

orlandogal22

I've heard a lot of people refer to her as bad stuff. heck my very liberal grandparents said she was a dumb blonde ****. It's sad how people were so rude to her. It's disgusting and sad how women are truly treated in the media. Especially Conservative and Republican women.

Well, that's not right at all.

And yes, I do agree with you that conservative women are routinely disparaged by the media (perhaps not termed outright as "dumb" but just as their opinion is not worth as much).

I also note that African Americans and Hispanics who are conservatives are also disparaged by the media and called hateful names on social media which leaves me sad.

I'm an independent myself (and in the past have been both a D and an R at various times), so now I just watch both "sides" argue all the time and its so tiring. :(

orlandogal22

There were tons of memes and nasty sayings about her well before that night.

Anyway, here’s one of many examples throughout her career..

Not cool. Not cool at all. :(

(but I still think it was not the best wardrobe choice ;) JMHO)

The Grand Inquisitor

Well, that's not right at all.

And yes, I do agree with you that conservative women are routinely disparaged by the media (perhaps not termed outright as "dumb" but just as their opinion is not worth as much).

I also note that African Americans and Hispanics who are conservatives are also disparaged by the media and called hateful names on social media which leaves me sad.

I'm an independent myself (and in the past have been both a D and an R at various times), so now I just watch both "sides" argue all the time and its so tiring. :(
I agree 100% it's truly awful to see sexism towards anyone. I agree Republican women and men of color are disparaged by the media and a lot of hateful people. Yeah I'm a Republican but a very moderate one. I truly get annoyed when both sides argue and try to play games.

thomas998

That’s the exact opposite of who she is and what she did!!!

Wearing a tight dress is setting women back?
Saying what women should or shouldn’t wear is completely sexist. She was never remotely inappropriately dressed. She literally refused Roger Alies when so many women were too afraid to do so, she became the highest paid and most watched female on the channel (and any cable news channel), because she earned it, worked for it. That’s not ‘setting women back’. It’s exactly the opposite.
Actually I didn't say tight dress... But if you were familiar with how she dressed when on Fox it varied and there were times when the dresses she wore would have been called into question at most places in corporate America as being questionable. If you want people to take your commentary seriously you don't need to reveal your cleavage, just as a male commentator isn't expected to unbutton his shirt and flex his pecks.

As for whether she refused Roger Alies, I don't know. Considering Roger was pretty much the Harvey Weinstein of the network news I seriously wonder if she was always refusing. If a lecherous guy is always seeking to get something before he gives someone something it leaves a question mark above anyone that worked for them and whether they compromised them self to some degree or not.

MickeyLuv'r

Agreed. And I do think it's important for these discussions to take place. I really think schools in the US do us a disservice in that they don't include viewing things from more than one point of view (outside of literary analysis in English classes), and that they don't include lessons focusing on communication - the ability to have a disagreement without resorting to insults and name-calling - and conflict resolution.
Schools actually do, but those who choose to participate get stereotyped as geeks, nerds and worse. It even happens to the children who actually enjoy reading and participating in English class discussions.

thomas998

Oh look, another Randy Newman race driven song.
Randy Newman is definitely major into that side of politics. He wrote a race generalizing song during Obama's campaign called "I'm Dreamin" where suspciously he compared ideals to a color of a person's skin. That makes three songs where he relies on race profiling or stereotyping for his music. Satirical or not, that is a lot of reliance and an odd choice to put in.

Well if you want to go after Randy Newman you have to remember he was telling short people that they had no reason to live, so I guess you could say he was trying to convince short people to kill themselves... Surely that's worth of a picket line, if only a short one.

Donaldfan1934

I don’t think I’m saying anything fundamentally different from this. Yes, Disney is responding to current events, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say that the calls have been loud or numerous enough to force their hand. If anything, the current economic crisis gave them the perfect excuse to simply ignore these (relatively muted) calls.
Indeed, we are fundamentally saying the same thing about the timing of the announcement assuming the decision was already made and I agree that Disney’s hand wasn’t technically forced into doing this since they had good incentive to just ignore it. However, it does matter whether or not Disney’s idea because if it wasn’t, it would be a spur-of-the-moment concession rather than a calculated decision like you said it was.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Indeed, we are fundamentally saying the same thing about the timing of the announcement assuming the decision was already made and I agree that Disney’s hand wasn’t technically forced into doing this since they had good incentive to just ignore it. However, it does matter whether or not Disney’s idea because if it wasn’t, it would be a spur-of-the-moment concession rather than a calculated decision like you said it was.

I tend to think they’ve long had it in mind that the ride will need retheming one day. That day was probably some years off until recent developments brought it forward. Needless to say, this is all pure speculation on my part.

Rich Brownn

Snow was happy in that cottage with those dwarfs and would have been happy and successful if it weren't for a witch.

Cinderella was an abuse victim with nowhere to go. Do you think all people under this circumstance should just grow a backbone and walk out on their own?

Aurora was a romantic. She wanted to marry who she wanted to marry and rejected the idea of getting wed to some prince she didn't know.

Ariel has been hotly debated. Some think she's impulsive and driven by wanting a man. Some thing that it's her love of humanity that drives her more than anything. Either way, while she's being an impulsive teenager of a classic role that I've personally seen plenty in my life who's taken her own agency into her hands and does what she chooses.

Belle wants to not be a submissive, barefoot and pregnant wife to some brute in a small village. She gives up her freedom to save her father and winds up finding someone who appreciates her for who she is and doesn't want her to change. She doesn't like who he is, and he changes his bad habits.

Jasmine, similar to Belle, starts in a situation where she has life with a domineering husband threatened to be thrust upon her. She finds love with someone she prefers, sniffs him out rather easily, and chooses her own way.

Mulan... I mean... Just Mulan.

Tiana has ambitions out of the household and owns her own business. She realized when being tempted by Facilier that if you're successful and you have no loved ones to share it with, then it can be empty. Someone who falls in love and gets married isn't submitting to the Patriarchy.

Merida. Just Merida.

I think Frozen does it best. Because it gives two different paths and two different possibilities. Anna is the romantic. She's dreamt her whole life of having a family of her own. She finds love with a guy who respects her and loves her and makes mistakes every once and again, but nobody is perfect.

Elsa seems to be aromantic, and she has her life on her own, lives life the way she wants to be, is totally independent and winds up finding fulfillment with her life by the end of the second film living with the Northuldra.

They are both valid lives and both valid choices. It's what they want. I'm not going to treat women like children and tell them that what they want isn't valid. I have more respect for them than that. Feminism is believing that a woman should strive to be whatever they wish to be. It's not telling anyone that their goals aren't valid. Some girls like the whole Princess thing. And I think that telling black girls that they can't get the traditional princess treatment is just another source of exclusion.

Why? People have taken that term and made it into a racial slur, but this fable is the origin of the term. We're talking a lot about the importance of origins, and this story is completely innocent.

On a completely separate note, anyone heard from Brer Oswald at all? I'm worried.
Tar Baby originated long before even SoTS, but was adopted into a racial slur, although pretty obscure now. However even modern politicians have been called out for using the phrase, even if they meant it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom