Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

I believe she was discussing (among perhaps 2-3 other guests) the use of blackface in costumes at Halloween. Asking a question. Posing something for thought.

Again, I am really not a fan of MK, never have been. But asking a question got her canned. Asking a question.

Doesn't anyone see how scary that is? And the slippery slope THAT type of situation can lead to if we are at - or get to - that point?

Yep. That was the discussion.. off limit Halloween costumes., and also about some Real Housewives woman was accused of blackface for darkening her skin (with tanning spray) to be Cher for Halloween. Jenna Bush was there on the panel during the episode, another woman who I can’t remember, and a guy who I can’t remember.

kong1802

I believe she was discussing (among perhaps 2-3 other guests) the use of blackface in costumes at Halloween. Asking a question. Posing something for thought.

Again, I am really not a fan of MK, never have been. But asking a question got her canned. Asking a question.

Doesn't anyone see how scary that is? And the slippery slope THAT type of situation can lead to if we are at - or get to - that point?

It seems then, that she was fired more for her ratings, and they just used this as the excuse, which does more damage than good, IMO.

But I do still need to read up on that...

kong1802

I don't know, all I know about Canada is from professional wrestling and Kids In The Hall sketches. The Hart Foundation, maybe?

I've almost forgot about them.

Back when comedy central was my go to after school (mom I hope you don't participate here, lol)

Matt_Black

I've almost forgot about them.

Back when comedy central was my go to after school (mom I hope you don't participate here, lol)

You should never forget about The Kids In The Hall. When you look back at that beach and only see one set of footprints, those are the times that The Kids In The Hall carried you.

21stamps

It seems then, that she was fired more for her ratings, and they just used this as the excuse, which does more damage than good, IMO.

But I do still need to read up on that...

There was a public outcry for her to be fired over it. The network had to pay out her contract, so they didn’t save any money by doing it.

It was a targeted attack.. blatantly so. Others have done much worse, but they’re liberals, so, no demand for their firing.

orlandogal22

I don't know, all I know about Canada is from professional wrestling and Kids In The Hall sketches. The Hart Foundation, maybe?

Well, I have always loved Bret Hart, so there's one thing we have in common.

To the other point, I'm pretty sure if you follow global politics even at a minimal level, you'd know the answer re: Trudeau's leanings.

aw14

At least you're serious about conversation :rolleyes:

As was said before, nice to see someone being purposefully obtuse

kong1802

To Kelly, I looked up her quote. It's a little more than a question....

“But what is racist?” Kelly asked. “You truly do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween.”

“Back when I was a kid, that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."

Kelly made reference to "Real Housewives of New York" star Luann de Lesseps being criticized for dressing as Diana Ross.

"She made her skin look darker than it really is and people said that that was racist," she said. "And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween."

It does seem like she genuinely didn't know...which is a little concerning.

But there are a ton of articles, don't have the time, that backup my earlier assertion from what I remember that her ratings were awful and they were looking for an excuse. I don't know what they had to pay out, but even if it was her whole salary/contract, bad ratings cost more in the form of less advertising dollars. Same reason a head coach in college gets fired. Even though they have to payout the contract, having a successful product is worth more...

I don't think her comments warranted a firing. But the swiftness in which it occured makes me think NBC was already wanting to pull the plug, so the backlash (which I would argue is kind of deserved, and did result in the apology which is all that really was necessitated) was all they needed.

I could be wrong.

thomas998

Whether someone is a Megyn fan or not, her book is well worth a read. She’s definitely a strong lady.
I can't anything she says seriously given how she used sex so blatantly to promote herself when she was at Fox... I mean she pretty much did all she could to set back women's rights as much as possible. Her clothes always seemed more appropriate for a cocktail party than for a news program. It as a bit like watching Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct half the time.

orlandogal22

I can't anything she says seriously given how she used sex so blatantly to promote herself when she was at Fox... I mean she pretty much did all she could to set back women's rights as much as possible. Her clothes always seemed more appropriate for a cocktail party than for a news program. It as a bit like watching Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct half the time.

I agree. I would catch her here or there on her Fox News show near the end of her time there, and often I'd ask myself if she forgot to put on the rest of her outfit. 🤪 It literally looked like she was wearing a negligee a few times (spaghetti straps, black, lace, etc.).

orlandogal22

To Kelly, I looked up her quote. It's a little more than a question....

“But what is racist?” Kelly asked. “You truly do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween.”

“Back when I was a kid, that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."

Kelly made reference to "Real Housewives of New York" star Luann de Lesseps being criticized for dressing as Diana Ross.

"She made her skin look darker than it really is and people said that that was racist," she said. "And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween."

It does seem like she genuinely didn't know...which is a little concerning.

But there are a ton of articles, don't have the time, that backup my earlier assertion from what I remember that her ratings were awful and they were looking for an excuse. I don't know what they had to pay out, but even if it was her whole salary/contract, bad ratings cost more in the form of less advertising dollars. Same reason a head coach in college gets fired. Even though they have to payout the contract, having a successful product is worth more...

I don't think her comments warranted a firing. But the swiftness in which it occured makes me think NBC was already wanting to pull the plug, so the backlash (which I would argue is kind of deserved, and did result in the apology which is all that really was necessitated) was all they needed.

I could be wrong.

Then NBC are cowards if they used a question (and subsequent "outrage") as a means for an "out" to get rid of her due to low ratings.

To be honest, knowing her origins at Fox, I'm not quite sure why they approached her and green-lit a program. (Her for the $$$ but them for what reason? Ratings? Stirring the pot? The Controversy of her as a polarizing figure?)

And we all know how talk show hosts kick around questions to their guests to gauge reactions, get responses, etc., so I don't buy the whole "she should have known." It was a discussion. We can all agree that worse has been said on TV.

EDIT - I should also add re: her comment about Real Housewives and Diana Ross. Joy Behar was excused for her blackface in "impersonating" a "beautiful African American woman" years ago on Halloween. Whoopi excused her. So she was "safe." But Megyn refers to a RHONY for dressing as Diana Ross because the RHONY likes Diana Ross, and Kelly gets canned? Hypocrisy at its finest.

Last edited:

kong1802

Then NBC are cowards if they used a question (and subsequent "outrage") as a means for an "out" to get rid of her due to low ratings.

To be honest, knowing her origins at Fox, I'm not quite sure why they approached her and green-lit a program. (Her for the $$$ but them for what reason? Ratings? Stirring the pot? The Controversy of her as a polarizing figure?)

And we all know how talk show hosts kick around questions to their guests to gauge reactions, get responses, etc., so I don't buy the whole "she should have known." It was a discussion. We can all agree that worse has been said on TV.

No argument there....

It was not to the egregious level to deserve a firing. The apology and learning moment should have been enough.

I just don't put this one on the mob per se...I think it was the suits in this instance.

21stamps

That’s the exact opposite of who she is and what she did!!!

Wearing a tight dress is setting women back?
Saying what women should or shouldn’t wear is completely sexist. She was never remotely inappropriately dressed. She literally refused Roger Alies when so many women were too afraid to do so, she became the highest paid and most watched female on the channel (and any cable news channel), because she earned it, worked for it. That’s not ‘setting women back’. It’s exactly the opposite.

orlandogal22

That’s the exact opposite of who she is and what she did!!!

Wearing a tight dress is setting women back?

Not to get into it as I know you're not talking directly to me, but I don't believe the tight dress was setting women back per se.

But, as an example of Kelly's wardrobe selection at the RNC. Black, low cut, spaghetti straps. Just didn't look appropriate to me. It looked like thomas998 said - it was more cocktail hour ... OR, for me, did she forget her blazer? sweater? was she wearing a bathing suit? 😂

1593462382393.png

kong1802

Not to get into it as I know you're not talking directly to me, but I don't believe the tight dress was setting women back per se.

But, as an example of Kelly's wardrobe selection at the RNC. Black, low cut, spaghetti straps. Just didn't look appropriate to me. It looked like thomas998 said - it was more cocktail hour ... OR, for me, did she forget her blazer? sweater? was she wearing a bathing suit? 😂

View attachment 480385

I'm on a work computer guys....lol

orlandogal22

No argument there....

It was not to the egregious level to deserve a firing. The apology and learning moment should have been enough.

I just don't put this one on the mob per se...I think it was the suits in this instance.

I edited my reply to something else I remembered re: Whoopi and Joy Behar.

However, indeed, I can agree that it did not deserve a firing.

And really, I'm not looking for Kimmel, Fallon, etc. to be fired or "cancelled" either. I just think things should be fair - and if people are going to start going around as the "thought and intent cancel police," there cannot be any evidence of hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom