Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley/OCD

Interestingly, in Journey of the Little Mermaid, they forgot about the ceiling during the "Under the Sea" song portion of the ride. You look up at all the fun dancing, singing fish and other sea creatures and see the ugly black ceiling with support beams, lights, wires, etc. I often wonder why they didn't do something better to hide that kind of stuff to create a more seamless illusion.
Well, in reality, if you look at the ceiling while on iasm, you do see the 2'x4' tiles as well while you're looking to see if the ceiling AA's are working yet...

Homemade Imagineering

Well, in reality, if you look at the ceiling while on iasm, you do see the 2'x4' tiles as well while you're looking to see if the ceiling AA's are working yet...
I decided to take a photo of it on my last trip. I think it adds a vintage sort of charm to IASW, and gets an excuse imo, because everything on the attraction is paper mache and painted plywood. It was meant to look like a child’s art project.

Attachments

• 57BDA2D2-51A5-433E-816B-2EBA8ADE1068.jpeg
    57BDA2D2-51A5-433E-816B-2EBA8ADE1068.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 64

thomas998

Tar Baby originated long before even SoTS, but was adopted into a racial slur, although pretty obscure now. However even modern politicians have been called out for using the phrase, even if they meant it differently.
The history of it goes back before Chandler Harris put it down in Uncle Remus, variation have been found in South Africa, Bahama and other countries. Even the Tar Baby in America had been printed early than Chandler's book with Chandler giving Credit to William Owens as a source of many of the folktales that Chandler put down in Uncle Remus. It really didn't seem to become a racial slur until the early 20th century and prior to that time had the more innocent meaning of a situation where you would only become more involved by doing anything.

BromBones

Not picking on you; I've seen this repeated many times.

According to the most recent discussions though, this isn't true. According to today's thinking, our culture is at fault.

I know you're not picking on me.
Yeah, It's always somebody else's fault.

BromBones

The history of it goes back before Chandler Harris put it down in Uncle Remus, variation have been found in South Africa, Bahama and other countries. Even the Tar Baby in America had been printed early than Chandler's book with Chandler giving Credit to William Owens as a source of many of the folktales that Chandler put down in Uncle Remus. It really didn't seem to become a racial slur until the early 20th century and prior to that time had the more innocent meaning of a situation where you would only become more involved by doing anything.

Don't mention history to these people. That dispels their ability to virtue signal.

Matt_Black

Woah, So @Matt_Black automatically thinks that Blacks are "lazy" and "refuse to get a job".
What the hell?!?

I never said that. What I DID say is that in some forms of entertainment, that is a common stereotype applied to black characters. Here's the exact comment.

Ehh... The characters of Br'er Rabbit, Fox, and Bear are evocative of certain stereotypes of African-Americans, some of which aren't very flattering.

LittleBuford

It was set during the reconstruction. And nothing was romanticized. It was an old man Uncle Remus who told the folk tales to the kids.
Have you even seen the movie?

I didn’t say it depicted slavery, only that it’s set on a plantation, which it is. Its romanticisation of plantation life was noted back in 1946, so clearly it’s there.

Yep, I had it on video as a child (I’m British) and watched it many, many times.

thomas998

I didn’t say it depicted slavery, only that it’s set on a plantation, which it is. Its romanticisation of plantation life was noted back in 1946, so clearly it’s there.

Yep, I had it on video as a child (I’m British) and watched it many, many times.
When was the romanticisation of plantation life noted? I don't think I remember that happening in the movie. I recall the live action was set on a plantation, it wasn't romanticized it was simply as it would have been after the war assuming it had not be burned down by the union soldiers. Or is that the rub you have that the plantation still existed?

LittleBuford

When was the romanticisation of plantation life noted? I don't think I remember that happening in the movie. I recall the live action was set on a plantation, it wasn't romanticized it was simply as it would have been after the war assuming it had not be burned down by the union soldiers. Or is that the rub you have that the plantation still existed?

Here are some reactions from 1946 that answer your question better than I could:

It's worth noting that the film was already understood to be problematic back in 1946, even by reviewers who liked it:

Quoted from the first link:

Ideologically, the picture is certain to land its maker in hot water. Tattered ol' Uncle Remus, who cheerfully "knew his place" in the easygoing world of late 19th Century Georgia (Author Harris, in accepted Southern fashion, always omitted the capital from the word "Negro"), is a character bound to enrage all educated Negroes, and a number of damyankees.​

And from the second:

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People expressed regret yesterday over Walt Disney's new production, "Song of the South," on the ground that it is helping to perpetuate the impression of "an idyllic master-slave relationship" in the South. Walter White, executive secretary, in telegrams to newspapers, stated the association recognized the artistic merit of the picture, but added, "It regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery. Making use of the beautiful Uncle Remus folklore, 'Song of the South' unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship which is a distortion of the facts."​

thomas998

Oh, don’t get me wrong.. I don’t think he should be “cancelled”, I just think who gets cancelled is highly tied to their political party, not logic.
It is, I think if people are being honest if it wasn't Jimmy Fallon and was instead say Jon Voight then it wouldn't have matter what the context of him being in blackface was he would have been fired so fast he wouldn't had time to say, "boo". If the conservative were smart they wouldn't let things like this slip they would take a page from the woke handbook and start picketing and protesting every liberal that ever made a mistake just to insure that the slaughtering of careers was fair and balanced.

celluloid

[
Woah, So @Matt_Black automatically thinks that Blacks are "lazy" and "refuse to get a job".
What the hell?!?

When asked to explain why he felt the characters of Splash Mountain evoked the negative African American stereotypes, he said this:
It's literally there in the ride. Rabbit runs away from home to find adventure, Fox tries to catch Rabbit to eat him instead of getting a job so that he has money to buy dinner, and Br'er Bear goes "duhhh..." in practically every other line of dialogue.
I added no words to this. How does anyone ever ride Splash Mt and see that Brer Fox refused to get a job? And then also adding because of the simple brute character style of Brer Bear he must also evoke those stereotypes, rather than just be a character trait. Matt apparently sees that as evidence of Brer Bears negative evocation. which is an incredibly racist thing to state.
It is very odd that he felt that is "literally" in the ride but never gave an example of dialogue or scenary that shows Beer Fox refusing to get a job or trying to make money by catching Brer Rabbit. and he was never able to why that would make the characters a race.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I added no words to this. How does anyone ever ride Splash Mt and see that Brer Fox refused to get a job?

All right, since you seem to refuse to let this drop, despite my offer to walk away from it, I'm going to try one more time. In the lyrics to the Splash Mountain version of "Everybody's Got A Laughing Place", there's a line "Our work is play". That implies work exists in the fictionalized world of Splash Mountain. Furthermore, work is something to be encouraged, because the lyrics of the supporting cast in the SM version of "How Do You Do" express dismay overy Br'er Rabbit's desire to go to the Laughing Place where "work is play"*.

*And if anyone, ANYONE brings up the FISH! Philosophy series of books, or any similar drivel, I will immediately place you on the ignore list.

celluloid

All right, since you seem to refuse to let this drop, despite my offer to walk away from it, I'm going to try one more time. In the lyrics to the Splash Mountain version of "Everybody's Got A Laughing Place", there's a line "Our work is play". That implies work exists in the fictionalized world of Splash Mountain. Furthermore, work is something to be encouraged, because the lyrics of the supporting cast in the SM version of "How Do You Do" express dismay overy Br'er Rabbit's desire to go to the Laughing Place where "work is play"*.

*And if anyone, ANYONE brings up the FISH! Philosophy series of books, or any similar drivel, I will immediately place you on the ignore list.

Actually those lyrics you posted would imply that there is no work in that world would it not? Our work is play in the laughing place segment unless I am mistaken is also not song by Brer Fox, so there is no counter line delivered where you draw the conclusion he refuses to get a job.
Even if there is something in your mind that Jon's exist in that world, how do you know who has a job and who has not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt_Black

I was not going to debate you anymore. I was wanting to get the accurate quotes for BramBones and not only the vague ones before your projected racist statements after you were asked to justify your claims; and what kind of thing is it to say, your offer? Who needs to make a deal?
if you threatened or proposed an ultimatum?
Actually those lyrics you posted would imply that there is no work in that world would it not? Our work is play in the laughing place segment unless I am mistaken is also not song by Brer Fox, so there is no counter line delivered where you draw the conclusion he refuses to get a job.
Even if there is something in your mind that Jon's exist in that world, how do you know who has a job and who has not. Your aggressive colors shine through here like your default racism arguments have.

Jobs must exist. Obviously, SOMEONE is painting all the signs in Splash Mountain.

celluloid

Jobs must exist. Obviously, SOMEONE is painting all the signs in Splash Mountain.
Even if you believe that to be true, what implies or evokes that Brer fox is a negative stereotype of an African American who refuses to get a job?
Yes, and having a laughing place to go to with lyrics that mention that work is play, rather than thinking of it as a day off, or s place you go for amusementbut warnings of moderation you feel it is a statement on Brer Fox being an African American refusing to make an honest living?

Last edited:

thomas998

Here are some reactions from 1946 that answer your question better than I could:
None of your quotes or links say that it was a romanticized plantation as you claimed... and your last little quote from the NAACP has already been shown as complete hogwash since it was written by someone that had not even bothered to see the film, which is even more clear when you realize that the film is set after the civil war yet the continually rambles on about the master-slave relationship which cannot exist after the civil war. Please stop making claims that are baseless, this has been the problem with how this whole affair came to be, too many people yammering about how bad a film is/was when they never saw it.

Sue_Vongello

We happen to have a bootleg copy of SotS and we all watched it (including my POC friends) - you know what the reaction was? “That was a sweet movie about people being friends no matter your race” ... which is the message of the movie.

The argument that it makes the post-slavery era too nice and friendly or that it doesn’t address the serious issues ... well, okay ... it’s a Disney movie, what did you expect? Disney is about showcasing the idealized version of something, not addressing the harsh realities in a kids movie.

At the end of the day the movie is about friendship across races ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom