Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kong1802

I edited my reply to something else I remembered re: Whoopi and Joy Behar.

However, indeed, I can agree that it did not deserve a firing.

And really, I'm not looking for Kimmel, Fallon, etc. to be fired or "cancelled" either. I just think things should be fair - and if people are going to start going around as the "thought and intent cancel police," there cannot be any evidence of hypocrisy.

I get that. I really do. As a liberal I always concede that "my" side has more influence and representation in media (TV, movies, print), and gets way more leeway with the republic.

I think intent is unfairly attributed to people, a lot of the time. Those who are liked get a pass "they didn't mean it" and those who aren't well liked obviously meant every word or thing that they did.....

I don't know how we fix that, but I hope we do.

The Grand Inquisitor

1593463784203.png

Well this thread really fell apart didn't it. 😂

The Grand Inquisitor

I will have to disagree with you about Disney going cheap, the main reason they are doing this is to reduce operating costs, maintenance upkeep on both these attractions are very expensive. AA's are expensive to maintain, so they may add some new AA figures but I'm guessing more of the Little Mermaid ride style. I think WDW Splash Mountain has 59 AA figures and I'm sure it will end up less than ten.

They are just giving it this politically correct excuse now because it fits, but it always about the money!! not what guests want.
I guess it's possible. It's me being an optimist I guess :) This is really big news, I have friends who aren't Disney fans and have heard the news. This will be a really big thing for Disney. Especially since Splash Mountain was one of the most popular rides. I truly bet this ride is going to be awesome.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

The timing certainly isn’t coincidental, but a single petition with relatively few signatures isn’t going to prompt such a major move, particularly when no-one was expecting Disney to spend money on any inessential projects. Whether the idea was already in the works or not, Disney decided of its own volition that this was the best move in the long run, as well as something that could earn them some positive PR in the current moment.
You do realize the entire notion of Disney’s decision not being the result of people’s demands is predicated on whether or not the idea was already in the works, right? And even if it was, like you said, the timing certainly isn’t coincidental. In my opinion, while I can believe this idea may have existed within WDI given the direction things have been going the past few years, it was either not already green lit or early enough in development where it was of no immediate concern. So, at least to some degree, Disney is in fact directly reacting to the demands of a relative few.

21stamps

Not to get into it as I know you're not talking directly to me, but I don't believe the tight dress was setting women back per se.

But, as an example of Kelly's wardrobe selection at the RNC. Black, low cut, spaghetti straps. Just didn't look appropriate to me. It looked like thomas998 said - it was more cocktail hour ... OR, for me, did she forget her blazer? sweater? was she wearing a bathing suit? 😂

View attachment 480385

I actually love that she wore this outfit, completely respect her for it.

Who made a rule that because women are in traditional male fields, that they must give up their femininity and dress more similar to men? It’s a stereotype that I have always bulked at.

I’m blonde, was always toned (until recently), and I‘ve spent my career wearing pencil skirts, dresses, slim pants, and 3.5-4” heels. I love it. There’s a certain self empowerment in it, for me. To walk into a meeting with men in suits, being prejudged because I’m a blonde in high heels., and then kicking butt. Same with a client, I loved to be eye height or close to it, with my male clients, to not be what they would typically expect.

Megyn totally kicked butt that night at the RNC, in a spaghetti strap dress. We don’t need to be wearing pantsuits to do a job.

I don’t know.. I can’t describe it, but I think it’s one more stereotype that women can shatter.. and no, that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t own blazers and pantsuits too. Just that we can wear what we feel good in that day. Turn a stereotype on its head.

orlandogal22

I actually love that she wore this outfit, completely respect her for it.

Who made a rule that because women are in traditional male fields, that they must give up their femininity and dress more similar to men? It’s a stereotype that I have always bulked at.

I’m blonde, was always toned (until recently), and I‘ve spent my career wearing pencil skirts, dresses, slim pants, and 3.5-4” heels. I love it. There’s a certain self empowerment in it, for me. To walk into a meeting with men in suits, being prejudged because I’m a blonde in high heels., and then kicking butt. Same with a client, I loved to be eye height or close to it, with my male clients, to not be what they would typically expect.

Megyn totally kicked butt that night at the RNC, in a spaghetti strap dress. We don’t need to be wearing pantsuits to do a job.

I don’t know.. I can’t describe it, but I think it’s one more stereotype that women can shatter.. and no, that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t own blazers and pantsuits too. Just that we can wear what we feel good in that day.

I don't think it's trying to shatter a stereotype so much as it was a very interesting, shall we say, wardrobe choice.

I am a woman (obviously) and, in all reality, could care less what Megyn wears regularly BUT it made ME feel a tad uncomfortable watching her that night with her bare shoulders, cleavage, etc. Because - to be blunt - it looked odd and out of place.

Sure, women can wear what they want. I do! But would you be OK with spaghetti straps and a low-cut black v-neck little bitty dress when you're meeting the pope? At your relative's funeral? At church? At a baby shower?

I just thought it was out of place. Just a simple observation. :)

ImperfectPixie

I don't think it's trying to shatter a stereotype so much as it was a very interesting, shall we say, wardrobe choice.

I am a woman (obviously) and, in all reality, could care less what Megyn wears regularly BUT it made ME feel a tad uncomfortable watching her that night with her bare shoulders, cleavage, etc. Because - to be blunt - it looked odd and out of place.

Sure, women can wear what they want. I do! But would you be OK with spaghetti straps and a low-cut black v-neck little bitty dress when you're meeting the pope? At your relative's funeral? At church? At a baby shower?

I agree. There are appropriate places and times for different styles of clothing.

21stamps

I can’t remember her exact words, but I remember her saying something about doing it intentionally.. because she was so often called a blonde bimbo.
She picked her most feminine outfit, and went and slayed- I remember those words. I thought it was such a power in-your-face move.

The Grand Inquisitor

I can’t remember her exact words, but I remember her saying something about doing it intentionally.. because she was so often called a blonde bimbo.
She picked her most feminine outfit, and went and slayed- I remember those words. I thought it was such a power in-your-face move.
Here's an article with Megyn explaining her choice.

21stamps

Here's an article with Megyn explaining her choice.

Yes. Thank you!!

Kelly reflected on the controversy that erupted after she wore a black spaghetti-strap dress while reporting on Fox News live from the 2016 Republican National Convention. The outfit choice, she says, was very deliberate.

"I put on the most feminine thing I had, and I rocked the coverage," Kelly said. "I asked all my normal questions, which are always probing and often merciless, in my sexy dress. Just because I’m blonde and I have my sexy dress on doesn’t make me a bimbo."

orlandogal22

I agree. I get it. But what was everyone talking about in the end? Her choice of dress. Not her slaying the coverage.

Is that right? No, it's not.

But what did she expect to happen? ;)

21stamps

I agree. I get it. But what was everyone talking about in the end? Her choice of dress. Not her slaying the coverage.

Is that right? No, it's not.

But what did she expect to happen? ;)

They were already doing that. She was by far one of the most direct and confrontational women interviewers. She earned that, without sleeping around, without cheating, just by outperforming men. Yet she was still always ridiculed as a “dumb blonde”, because we hold on to our stereotypes.
So, she fit every stereotype that night, and still did just as good as she always does.

It was a ballsy move and super impressive, to me. I do understand that not everyone may feel the same.. but I’ll always remember that as a “win” for all blondes who have dealt with the same sexist comments throughout their careers. 😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom