Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

None of your quotes or links say that it was a romanticized plantation as you claimed... and your last little quote from the NAACP has already been shown as complete hogwash since it was written by someone that had not even bothered to see the film, which is even more clear when you realize that the film is set after the civil war yet the continually rambles on about the master-slave relationship which cannot exist after the civil war. Please stop making claims that are baseless, this has been the problem with how this whole affair came to be, too many people yammering about how bad a film is/was when they never saw it.

“Ideologically, the picture is certain to land its maker in hot water. Tattered ol‘ Uncle Remus, who cheerfully ‘knew his place’ in the easygoing world of late 19th Century Georgia (Author Harris, in accepted Southern fashion, always omitted the capital from the word ‘Negro’), is a character bound to enrage all educated Negroes, and a number of damyankees.“

Also, I have seen the film many times and believe it does romanticise plantation life. You might disagree with me, but my opinion is based on a firsthand acquaintance with the movie.

LittleBuford

The original question was what evidence you had that the movie romanticized plantation life. You could have said, "I thought it did"... but now you decided to answer that question by throwing out multiple quotes and links, of which not a single one answered that question. I don't know if you lack the ability to actually comprehend what you read or are simply trying to use subterfuge to hide the fact that there is nothing beyond your opinion being stated... Which of course is disingenuous when you clearly stated that, "Its romanticisation of plantation life was noted back in 1946,"... Well unless YOU were alive in 1946 and watched the movie back then it was not noted as you claimed. Of course if you were old enough to have seen the movie when it first came out in 1946 then your advanced age and likely decline in cognitive function from being at such an advanced age explains a lot. Is that what is behind this you are in your 80's or 90's?

I provided links to reviews written in 1946 that noted the film’s romanticisation of plantation life. If you have an issue with those assessments, I suggest you direct your anger to the ghosts of the authors in question.

thomas998

We happen to have a bootleg copy of SotS and we all watched it (including my POC friends) - you know what the reaction was? “That was a sweet movie about people being friends no matter your race” ... which is the message of the movie.

The argument that it makes the post-slavery era too nice and friendly or that it doesn’t address the serious issues ... well, okay ... it’s a Disney movie, what did you expect? Disney is about showcasing the idealized version of something, not addressing the harsh realities in a kids movie.

At the end of the day the movie is about friendship across races ...
If the entire mess is all about Disney idealizing something, then I suppose Disney should go back and redo the movies based on books where they toned down the original story into an idealized version... Cinderella needs to end with birds pecking out the eyes of the step sisters and who wouldn't want Sleeping Beauty to have a lusty old king have his way with her while she was unconscious causing her to become pregnant.... Yeah, I'm kind of glad that Disney likes to idealize things because I really don't think anyone would want the original version of most stories Disney used to be done accurately.

LittleBuford

I found a very interesting piece that summarises contemporary reactions (positive as well as negative) to Song of the South. I’m pasting a lengthy excerpt, below which a link to the piece itself:

The film was a box-office success, showing a profit of $226,000 during its initial release, according to modern sources. [Modern sources list the production's cost as $2,125,000.] The picture received mixed reviews, however, with some critics applauding the animated sequences and acting while criticizing the live-action story. Bosley Crowther, the influential New York Times critic, commented, "the ratio of 'live' to cartoon action is approximately two to one-and that is approximately the ratio of its mediocrity to charm." The Timereviewer stated, "Artistically, Song of the South could have used a much heavier helping of cartooning. Technically, the blending of two movie mediums is pure Disney wizardry. Ideologically, the picture is certain to land its maker in hot water."​

On November 27, 1946, Walter White, the executive secretary of the NAACP, sent telegrams to newspapers describing the NAACP's objections to the film. While expressing approval of the film's technical achievements, White stated that the NAACP "regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery....[the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship which is a distortion of the facts." A December 4, 1946 Variety article about the NAACP's view of current films contained a statement from a Disney spokesperson who "expressed surprise over objections to the film. Picture, he said, did not take place during slavery days but after the Civil War and the most sympathetic character in it is a Negro."​

The picture generated much controversy among African-American newspapers, some of which supported it while others did not. The reviewer for The Afro-American declared that he was "thoroughly disgusted" by the film, while the reviewer for Pittsburgh Courier stated that "the truly sympathetic handling of the entire production from a racial standpoint [would] prove of inestimable goodwill in the furthering of interracial relationships." The chief complaints leveled at the film concerned the subservient status, costuming and dialect of the African-American characters. In another New York Times article, Crowther accused Disney of committing "a peculiarly gauche offense in putting out such a story in this troubled day and age." Upon the film's release, groups such as The National Negro Congress, The American Youth for Democracy, The United Negro & Allied Veterans and the American Jewish Council organized racially integrated pickets at theaters in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston, as well as other cities. In New York, Broadway actors such as Kenneth Spencer and Sam Wanamaker joined the picket lines.​

A scrapbook for the film held in the Walt Disney Archives contains an original handbill distributed by the National Negro Congress during its picket of the film at a Los Angeles theater. The handbill proclaims that the picture contains "dangerous stereotyping [that] creates an impression of Negroes in the minds of their fellow Americans which make them appear to be second class citizens." According to a December 12, 1946 Variety news item, the NAACP declined to join the National Negro Congress in its picket of a New York City theater "because it feels nothing can be gained by it." The Boston chapter of the NAACP did participate in picketing the film's exhibition there, however, according to a December 24, 1946 Boston Globe article. An January 18, 1947 Chicago Defender news item noted that although the film was being shown at the "white theaters" in Washington, D.C., it would not be exhibited by the "six theaters catering to Negroes."​

The picketing sparked even more debate among African-American supporters and detractors of the film. Ebony magazine stated that the picture would "disrupt peaceful race relations and set back Negro progress," while the Pittsburgh Courier reviewer, discussing negative statements made by Ebony, Muse and Bradshaw, found their comments to be "unadulterated hogwash symptomatic of the unfortunate racial neurosis that seems to be gripping so many of our humorless brethren these days." In a February 1947 interview, printed in The Criterion, Hattie McDaniel defended the film by saying, "If I had for one moment considered any part of the picture degrading or harmful to my people I would not have appeared therein." In the same article, Baskett commented, "I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the Song of the South."​

Although Baskett was occasionally criticized for accepting such a "demeaning" role, his acting was almost universally praised, and columnist Hedda Hopper was one of the many journalists who declared that he should receive an Academy Award for his work. Baskett was not nominated for Best Actor, but received a special Oscar in 1948, a few months prior to his death. Baskett's Oscar, which honored his "able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus in Song of the South, friend and storyteller to the children of the world," was the first Academy Award received by an African-American actor. [Baskett's Oscar was an honorary one; Sidney Poitier was the first African-American actor to win an Oscar for his performance in the 1963 picture Lilies of the Field (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1961-70; F6.2770). The first African-American actress to win an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel, for her work in Gone With the Wind in 1939 (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1931-40; F3.1674).] Song of the South also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture and won an Oscar for the song "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" by Allie Wrubel and Ray Gilbert.​

thomas998

I provided links to reviews written in 1946 that noted the film’s romanticisation of plantation life. If you have an issue with those assessments, I suggest you direct your anger to the ghosts of the authors in question.
None of those things ever mentioned the romanticization of plantation life... If you thought they did then you might consider a reading comprehension class. It isn't possible to have a reasonable discussion with someone that insists on seeing things that are not there.

LittleBuford

I found a very interesting piece that summarises contemporary reactions (positive as well as negative) to Song of the South. I’m pasting a lengthy excerpt, below which a link to the piece itself:

The film was a box-office success, showing a profit of $226,000 during its initial release, according to modern sources. [Modern sources list the production's cost as $2,125,000.] The picture received mixed reviews, however, with some critics applauding the animated sequences and acting while criticizing the live-action story. Bosley Crowther, the influential New York Times critic, commented, "the ratio of 'live' to cartoon action is approximately two to one-and that is approximately the ratio of its mediocrity to charm." The Timereviewer stated, "Artistically, Song of the South could have used a much heavier helping of cartooning. Technically, the blending of two movie mediums is pure Disney wizardry. Ideologically, the picture is certain to land its maker in hot water."​
On November 27, 1946, Walter White, the executive secretary of the NAACP, sent telegrams to newspapers describing the NAACP's objections to the film. While expressing approval of the film's technical achievements, White stated that the NAACP "regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery....[the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship which is a distortion of the facts." A December 4, 1946 Variety article about the NAACP's view of current films contained a statement from a Disney spokesperson who "expressed surprise over objections to the film. Picture, he said, did not take place during slavery days but after the Civil War and the most sympathetic character in it is a Negro."​
The picture generated much controversy among African-American newspapers, some of which supported it while others did not. The reviewer for The Afro-American declared that he was "thoroughly disgusted" by the film, while the reviewer for Pittsburgh Courier stated that "the truly sympathetic handling of the entire production from a racial standpoint [would] prove of inestimable goodwill in the furthering of interracial relationships." The chief complaints leveled at the film concerned the subservient status, costuming and dialect of the African-American characters. In another New York Times article, Crowther accused Disney of committing "a peculiarly gauche offense in putting out such a story in this troubled day and age." Upon the film's release, groups such as The National Negro Congress, The American Youth for Democracy, The United Negro & Allied Veterans and the American Jewish Council organized racially integrated pickets at theaters in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston, as well as other cities. In New York, Broadway actors such as Kenneth Spencer and Sam Wanamaker joined the picket lines.​
A scrapbook for the film held in the Walt Disney Archives contains an original handbill distributed by the National Negro Congress during its picket of the film at a Los Angeles theater. The handbill proclaims that the picture contains "dangerous stereotyping [that] creates an impression of Negroes in the minds of their fellow Americans which make them appear to be second class citizens." According to a December 12, 1946 Variety news item, the NAACP declined to join the National Negro Congress in its picket of a New York City theater "because it feels nothing can be gained by it." The Boston chapter of the NAACP did participate in picketing the film's exhibition there, however, according to a December 24, 1946 Boston Globe article. An January 18, 1947 Chicago Defender news item noted that although the film was being shown at the "white theaters" in Washington, D.C., it would not be exhibited by the "six theaters catering to Negroes."​
The picketing sparked even more debate among African-American supporters and detractors of the film. Ebony magazine stated that the picture would "disrupt peaceful race relations and set back Negro progress," while the Pittsburgh Courier reviewer, discussing negative statements made by Ebony, Muse and Bradshaw, found their comments to be "unadulterated hogwash symptomatic of the unfortunate racial neurosis that seems to be gripping so many of our humorless brethren these days." In a February 1947 interview, printed in The Criterion, Hattie McDaniel defended the film by saying, "If I had for one moment considered any part of the picture degrading or harmful to my people I would not have appeared therein." In the same article, Baskett commented, "I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the Song of the South."​
Although Baskett was occasionally criticized for accepting such a "demeaning" role, his acting was almost universally praised, and columnist Hedda Hopper was one of the many journalists who declared that he should receive an Academy Award for his work. Baskett was not nominated for Best Actor, but received a special Oscar in 1948, a few months prior to his death. Baskett's Oscar, which honored his "able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus in Song of the South, friend and storyteller to the children of the world," was the first Academy Award received by an African-American actor. [Baskett's Oscar was an honorary one; Sidney Poitier was the first African-American actor to win an Oscar for his performance in the 1963 picture Lilies of the Field (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1961-70; F6.2770). The first African-American actress to win an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel, for her work in Gone With the Wind in 1939 (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1931-40; F3.1674).] Song of the South also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture and won an Oscar for the song "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" by Allie Wrubel and Ray Gilbert.​

Those curious about the second Crowther article (NYT, 1946) mentioned in the piece I shared earlier can read a scan of it by clicking the spoiler button. Here is an excerpt (the “you” being addressed is Walt Disney himself):

AC9C785F-F285-45FE-A587-5376317A2FC3.jpeg

To be clear, I’m not arguing that the film was universally viewed this way (it wasn’t) or that we should consider it Disney’s answer to The Birth of a Nation. I think it’s fair and accurate to say that Song of the South was controversial and divisive upon its release and has only become more so with time.

F15E8ABE-A2DB-4ACB-B706-77B96CE689E4.png

B8B06020-2CC5-4BA9-80D0-E3848F7D57F6.png

4B6F1059-46F5-41AD-884D-B3F7F0609E8A.png

031A3F06-40BB-4348-BC9D-96A553C5E2D7.jpeg

Last edited:

celluloid

Those have all been quoted in here a few times.
A lot of the critiques from the movie critics are with storytelling. The two most scathing from groups that seem to be groups with titles one would listen to are the NAACP and the National Negro Congress quotes have lost a.lotnof merit when it was realized that the NAACP quotes makes it seem like slavery is in the film and it was later admitted that most members never saw the film and the National Negro Congress, while sounds like a good cause, was a communist based capitalism hate extremist group, who are known for wanting America to fail, which is the reason why the NAACP refused to protest with them. It would be like quoting PETA's thoughts on Sea World or The Living Seas with any merit.

I still think the Baskins quote is the best.
Expert African Folklorists and scholars have also refuted any misrepresentation in the film saying that there were many real examples of Uncle Remus vernacular and personalities within the Reconstruction era to defend Joel Chandler Harris' stories which the film is based on.

LittleBuford

Those have all been quoted in here a few times.
A lot of the critiques from the movie critics are with storytelling. The two most scathing from groups that seem to be groups with titles one would listen to are the NAACP and the National Negro Congress quotes have lost a.lotnof merit when it was realized that the NAACP quotes makes it seem like slavery is in the film and it was later admitted that most members never saw the film and the National Negro Congress, while sounds like a good cause, was a communist based capitalism hate extremist group, who are known for wanting America to fail, which is the reason why the NAACP refused to protest with them. It would be like quoting PETA's thoughts on Sea World or The Living Seas with any merit.

I still think the Baskins quote is the best.
Expert African Folklorists and scholars have also refuted any misrepresentation in the film saying that there were many real examples of Uncle Remus vernacular and personalities within the Reconstruction era to defend Joel Chandler Harris' stories which the film is based on.

I’ve provided enough evidence to show that the film was controversial in its own time, and it wasn’t only the NAACP or National Negro Congress that criticised it (see the NYT article in my post above). No matter what one’s personal opinion on the ride or film may be, there should be no problem merely acknowledging that the film has always elicited mixed responses.

celluloid

I’ve provided enough evidence to show that the film was controversial in its own time, and it wasn’t only the NAACP or National Negro Congress that criticised it (see the NYT article in my post above). No matter what one’s personal opinion on the ride or film may be, there should be no problem merely acknowledging that the film has always elicited mixed responses.

I am not saying it was critiqued with any controversy. I was just pointing out the flaws in a lot of those again that try to demonize Song of The South. Every film, artwork or place is. People critique things. Princess and The Frog was before and after it came out. Lion King has been slammed before for copying a Japanese Cartoon and using Hamlet as a format. No one(meaning majority) takes it seriously as appropriating Japanese Folktales or Ripping off Storytelling just because it follows the Shakesperian format. It is well done even with the loud(not majority) complaining.

LittleBuford

I am not saying it was critiqued with any controversy. I was just pointing out the flaws in a lot of those again that try to demonize Song of The South. Every film, artwork or place is. People critique things. Princess and The Frog was before and after it came out. Lion King has been slammed before for copying a Japanese Cartoon and using Hamlet as a format. No one(meaning majority) takes it seriously as appropriating Japanese Folktales or Ripping off Storytelling just because it follows the Shakesperian format. It is well done even with the loud(not majority) complaining.

Isn’t there room for some middle ground here? I don’t demonise the film, but neither do I deny that it’s problematic. I didn’t want Splash Mountain to be rethemed, but I understand why it’s happening.

celluloid

Isn’t there room for some middle ground here? I don’t demonise the film, but neither do I deny that it’s problematic. I didn’t want Splash Mountain to be rethemed, but I understand why it’s happening.

Sorry, I should ha e clarified. I was not saying you do not have a right to an opinion. I was just wanting to point out the most scathing reviews have little merit when they came from an extreme side like the National Negro Congress and the blind opinion at the time that the NAACP had at the time of release that gets quoted frequently.

LittleBuford

Sorry, I should ha e clarified. I was not saying you do not have a right to an opinion. I was just wanting to point out the most scathing reviews have little merit when they came from an extreme side like the National Negro Congress and the blind opinion at the time that the NAACP had at the time of release that gets quoted frequently.

It should be noted that that NAACP statement was drafted on the basis of memos from two staff members who had seen the film.

celluloid

It should be noted that that NAACP statement was drafted on the basis of memos from two staff members who had seen the film.

I have heard both, specifically that they had not when they were questioned why they mentioned the film depicting slavery when it featured the Reconstruction era.

LittleBuford

I have heard both, specifically that they had not when they were questioned why they mentioned the film depicting slavery when it featured the Reconstruction era.

Crowther of the NYT likewise thought the film was set in the antebellum South. From the TCM piece I shared earlier:
While Harris' stories identify "Uncle Remus" as a former slave, the film does not clearly establish Remus' status nor the exact time period of the story. According to the film's file in the MPAA/PCA Collection at the AMPAS Library, PCA officials advised the studio that in order to minimize "adverse reactions from certain Negro groups," they should "be certain that the frontispiece of the book (appearing in the opening credits) establishes the date in the 1870s." Despite Breen's admonition, the frontispiece does not specify the time period, and both contemporary and modern sources disagree as to whether the film is set before or after the Civil War.​

The fact that Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation settles the matter, of course, but the film isn’t as explicit as it might be in this regard, and the relationship between the black and white characters certainly perpetuates an idealised master-slave dynamic.

celluloid

Crowther of the NYT likewise thought the film was set in the antebellum South. From the piece I shared earlier:

While Harris' stories identify "Uncle Remus" as a former slave, the film does not clearly establish Remus' status nor the exact time period of the story. According to the film's file in the MPAA/PCA Collection at the AMPAS Library, PCA officials advised the studio that in order to minimize "adverse reactions from certain Negro groups," they should "be certain that the frontispiece of the book (appearing in the opening credits) establishes the date in the 1870s." Despite Breen's admonition, the frontispiece does not specify the time period, and both contemporary and modern sources disagree as to whether the film is set before or after the Civil War.​

The fact that Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation settles the matter, of course, but the film isn’t as explicit as it might be in this regard, and the relationship between the black and white characters certainly perpetuates an idealised master-slave dynamic.

Some people missquote Star Wars all of the time, it should have been written to how some people have the common misconception?
Some people claim great Zoological facilities and Aquariums abuse their animals because they feel it and look for it, it does not make it true.

LittleBuford

Some people missquote Star Wars all of the time, it should have been written to how some people have the common misconception?
Some people claim great Zoological facilities and Aquariums abuse their animals because they feel it and look for it, it does not make it true.

I’m not debating the merits or otherwise of such assessments. I’m merely trying to provide some relevant context about the film’s historical reception.

celluloid

I’m not debating the merits or otherwise of such assessments. I’m merely trying to provide some relevant context about the film’s historical reception.

When you keep sharing something to prove your point, that seems like you are giving it merit. My mistake, but why share something that every piece of art has?(love and dislike)
People are well aware by now that the movie has always had some controversy because artwork always does along with the fact that Disney as a company blocked it from the US catelogs. Splash Mt was the third time the property was represented in the theme parks(fourth if you count outside the Disney theme parks using the Joel Chandler Harris Uncle Remus' stories as source material). And as an attraction was then featured in three theme parks. The company was not concerned enough to stop rereleasing it until 1986 where it was still making money in theaters. Home Video was just over ten years old and Song of the South, being an older movie was not a priority. For reference, another 40's film, Fantasia was not released until 1991. Disney finally caved out of fear and delayed the thought of home video again to where on the spot it was easier to just say we are not going to let this one out of the vault IN THE US. There was no complete avoidence of it as evidence by the fact that it was and still is avalible on home video purchase in other countries. Disney, like Sea World and other big companies essentially ingored the issue allowing the public to often be misguided further and hurting their business(in this case, it was locallized to one movie's sales in the United States only, not a hard cross for a big company to bear) That is how we get to the point of people making wild claims to the extreme degree of Brer Fox refuses to get a job within the story of Splash Mountain. DIsney created the Splash Mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:

thomas998

Crowther of the NYT likewise thought the film was set in the antebellum South. From the TCM piece I shared earlier:

You've made the assumption that simply because the movie review was in the NY Times that the reviewer had actually seen the movie. That is not always the case. Sometimes writers just make up reviews based on other reviews without ever actually seeing the movie they are reviewing. Is that what happened here? Who knows. But the review does contain an error that would not have been there if the person writing the review had carefully watched the film as a reviewer should.

Incomudro

We happen to have a bootleg copy of SotS and we all watched it (including my POC friends) - you know what the reaction was? “That was a sweet movie about people being friends no matter your race” ... which is the message of the movie.

The argument that it makes the post-slavery era too nice and friendly or that it doesn’t address the serious issues ... well, okay ... it’s a Disney movie, what did you expect? Disney is about showcasing the idealized version of something, not addressing the harsh realities in a kids movie.

At the end of the day the movie is about friendship across races ...

Bingo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom