Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Exactly. If they were not to be toting the progress and moving forward/inclusive team required to bring this project to life, it would be one thing, but they are harping on that in every major news piece that aired for the announcement. As if Disney woke up. What a load of garbage.

Why not? They did the same with Ariel and everyone cheered. It’s not really about the stories, or their origins.. it’s about proving how woke you are by a “look what we replaced this with!”.. not some meaningful new story to celebrate African Americans.

thomas998

Yep. Same with my cousin's family. She married into a big Italian family and it was like I stepped into The Godfather at the wedding. But, you know...the "woke" crowd may find it offensive these days. :rolleyes:
The reality is stereotypes whether good or bad don't pop up from then air, there is usually some reason they popped up to begin with.

Though sometimes the way they came about is less obvious. A Polish friend explained where the stereotype of Polish being dumb came from and it was kind of sad as it seemed to originate from the Polish calvary attacking nazi tanks from horse back with the expected slaughter of the calvary... sure it seemed dumb and could be to anyone looking at it from the outside, but it was all they could do... the stereotype could have just as easily come out about the never giving up or backing down, but instead it morphed into a stereotype of stupidity.

celluloid

Why not? They did the same with Ariel and everyone cheered. It’s not really about the stories, or their origins.. it’s about proving how woke you are by a “look what we replaced this with!”.. not some meaningful new story to celebrate African Americans.

And the same company that paid billions to make money off of franchies that feature things like Hans Gruber and The Simpsons.
Or cash in on ol N Word Randy Newman(who still performs those songs by the way)

orlandogal22

The reality is stereotypes whether good or bad don't pop up from then air, there is usually some reason they popped up to begin with.

Though sometimes the way they came about is less obvious. A Polish friend explained where the stereotype of Polish being dumb came from and it was kind of sad as it seemed to originate from the Polish calvary attacking nazi tanks from horse back with the expected slaughter of the calvary... sure it seemed dumb and could be to anyone looking at it from the outside, but it was all they could do... the stereotype could have just as easily come out about the never giving up or backing down, but instead it morphed into a stereotype of stupidity.

True. My husband's Polish father talks about how when he was growing up in the 40s / 50s in New Jersey, he and his brothers (all poor) were often mocked and made fun of by the Italians and Irish.

Matt_Black

And the same company that paid billions to make money off of franchies that feature things like Hans Gruber and The Simpsons.

The Simpsons, I'll grant you. They've been a bit tone deaf in recent years on certain issues. But why on Earth bring up Hans Gruber?

LittleBuford

celluloid

The Simpsons, I'll grant you. They've been a bit tone deaf in recent years on certain issues. But why on Earth bring up Hans Gruber?

The woke culture could easily find Hans Gruber offensive as he is played by the amazing late Alan Rickman, a non German portraying a cunning theif German vs stereotypical cowboy hero way of thinking in an action movie that's main premise involves a German terrorist leading a german terroist group. That is the thing about extremists, they can try and justfiy anything with feelings, just as you said all three main characters of splash mountain are somehow evoking negative stereotypes of a single race.

Now your turn. Tell me why you feel Brer Fox evokes the idea that he is 1. African American in Race 2. Is showcased in the ride that he is a schemer who chooses not to get a job to pay for dinner. That is still baffling and you have yet to answer.
Also, you still have not answered why Brer Rabbit evokes the idea of a lazy African American sterotype, because he is not lazy. The rides story revolves around us following him on an adventure. "time to be moving along"
And Brear Bear is a big brute of a character who is more quiet and has a slow speech. He is strong but falls of the briar patch trick and gets him and Fox, and us into trouble.
Why is a big simple brute character type evoking only one race for you?

Last edited:

Matt_Black

The woke culture could easily find Hans Gruber offensive as he is played by the amazing late Alan Rickman, a non German portraying a German vs stereotypical cowboy hero way of thinking in an action movie as a German terrorist leading a german terroist group.

The group is not German, not exclusively anyway, as they have members of many different nationalities and ethnic backgrounds, nor are they terrorists. They're pretending to be terrorists to enable the heist.

celluloid

The group is not German, not exclusively anyway, as they have members of many different nationalities and ethnic backgrounds, nor are they terrorists. They're pretending to be terrorists to enable the heist.

That is a semantic point that is even adressed in the film. Anyone who holds someone with force to do something out of fear of harm, or death to agree with or comply, is an act of terrorism and or fascism. Still waiting on those Splash Mountain accusations you had where you asserted that the attraction evokes a race into each character, which would not even make sense.

We are still waiting on your justification of your projected racism into the characters.

celluloid

Yes, and if 230+ pages of this thread have taught me anything, it's that no one hear ever EVER tries to uses semantic arguments to skirt or dodge the issue.
Ok, so why would you use that tatic then? How about this, forget Die hard. I was just using that as an example of how extreme things could go. I don't find Die Hard Offensive to a particular group just like I don't find Splash Mountain offfensive to a particular group.

Just put the evidence of your own acusation that while on Splash Mountain you find that Brer Fox's character evokes a negative stereotype of a lazy African American. That is a point you have sitll not provided evidence for.
Also, you have similarly said in a same post that Brer Rabbit evokes the neative stereotype where an African American is seen as Lazy. He leaves home in the storyline of the ride and goes all down river looking for the next adventure. "time to be moving along" and other songs/dialogue remphasise that to where it is never subtle. He can't be in one place or lazy.
You also claimed Brer Bear is a big simple brute and that was evoking the negative stereotype of a large strong, but ignorant African American. How on earth can you project that without sounding like you have predudice?

Matt_Black

Ok, so why would you use that tatic then? How about this, forget Die hard. I was just using that as an example of how extreme things could go. I don't find Die Hard Offensive to a particular group just like I don't find Splash Mountain offfensive to a particular group.

Just put the evidence of your own acusation that while on Splash Mountain you find that Brer Fox's character evokes a negative stereotype of a lazy African American. That is a point you have sitll not provided evidence for.

I honestly don't know what else I can say. I've tried to articulate my point as best I can, but I get the feeling that you are totally committed to your point of view, and I have no interest in continuing the Sisyphean task of trying to get you to even consider reevaluating your stance, especially when you insist on introducing slippery slope arguments while I try to push that boulder uphill.

celluloid

When will the mob come for Universal Studios?
Any guesses?

Jimmy Falon has already been under fire for an impression of Chris Rock where the SNL make up department put him in dark make up. It was an impression, but some media outlets just started calling it Blackface as if it was a minstriel negative stereotype intentionr rather than an impression of Chris Rock. That made some waves but simmered quickly. Jamie Foxx said it was wrong to call it Blackface since it was an impression of someone who has to be black, the same way someone who is impersonating someone old would have the make up department change their apperance including skin.

celluloid

I honestly don't know what else I can say. I've tried to articulate my point as best I can, but I get the feeling that you are totally committed to your point of view, and I have no interest in continuing the Sisyphean task of trying to get you to even consider reevaluating your stance, especially when you insist on introducing slippery slope arguments while I try to push that boulder uphill.

No. You can disagree with me. I am not even triyng to change your mind. I would like you to provide some evidence on how you see those hurtful things in the ride. You can't expect your feelings like that to not sound racist or hateful in themselves, because they are pretty demonizing acusations and without any evidence of merit provided on why you would think this way, they are just feelings. It is ok to have feelings, but expect critique to provide reasons why you feel that way.

Racism is not a default for when there is no evidence of anything provided.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

No. You can disagree with me. I am not even triyng to change your mind. I just would like you to provide some evidence on how you see those hurtful things in the ride. You can't expect your feelings like that to not sound racist or hateful in themselves, because they are pretty demonizing acusations and without any evidence of merit provided on why you would think this way, they are just feelings. It is ok to have feelings, but expect critique to provide reasons why.

Racism is not a default for when there is no evidence of anything provided.

Again, I don't what would be acceptable to you. I've tried pointing out contrasting examples, I've brought up personal experiences, and that's failed. So, you have yourself a magical day.

thomas998

When will the mob come for Universal Studios?
Any guesses?
At the moment Universal seems to have made a deal with the devil to avoid any stink, otherwise we would have picketing of the Jimmy Fallon ride since the past blackface episodes of Fallon popped up again, and of course all of Harry Potter is tainted by the author daring to state that a transgender is not a real woman...Uni is probably just sitting on the side line hoping their number doesn't show up on the woke target board.

Last edited:

21stamps

Jimmy Falon has already been under fire for an impression of Chris Rock where the SNL make up department put him in dark make up. It was an impression, but some media outlets just started calling it Blackface as if it was a minstriel negative stereotype intentionr rather than an impression of Chris Rock. That made some waves but simmered quickly. Jamie Foxx said it was wrong to call it Blackface since it was an impression of someone who has to be black, the same way someone who is impersonating someone old would have the make up department change their apperance including skin.

Wonder why that one simmered so quickly...;)

I was talking about Fallon and the Harry Potter attractions.

celluloid

Wonder why that one simmered so quickly...;)

I was talking about Fallon and the Harry Potter attractions.

Because the company and others in the industry actually defended the logic and there was common sense and evidence and that helped shut the extremists down pretty quick, even if they disagree. That being said I would not mind Fallon's attraction already getting the boot. I don't find it that great and it seems he has already caused a lot of trouble for the minor attraction of synergy.

Again, I don't what would be acceptable to you. I've tried pointing out contrasting examples, I've brought up personal experiences, and that's failed. So, you have yourself a magical day.

I can't help you there. I can't understand your point until you make one for your accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom