Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

Oh, don’t get me wrong.. I don’t think he should be “cancelled”, I just think who gets cancelled is highly tied to their political party, not logic.

Every now and then, I'll see the "Well, if you 'cancel' _____ for this, then you should cancel Bill Maher", and the response from many on the Left is often, "Yeah, that's fair. Go ahead."

No, seriously, Bill Maher sucks. He was in the film Tomcats, and he managed to be the worst thing in a film that also featured Jerry O'Connell trying to rescue Jake Busey's surgically removed testicle.

thomas998

Jimmy Falon has already been under fire for an impression of Chris Rock where the SNL make up department put him in dark make up. It was an impression, but some media outlets just started calling it Blackface as if it was a minstriel negative stereotype intentionr rather than an impression of Chris Rock. That made some waves but simmered quickly. Jamie Foxx said it was wrong to call it Blackface since it was an impression of someone who has to be black, the same way someone who is impersonating someone old would have the make up department change their apperance including skin.
And that is quite frankly a pathetic cop out. Now the woke police are going to try and determine what was in the mind of the person wearing blackface.... Using this theory then every white frat boy in America that has been ostracized for wearing what the university considered blackface need only say, "No, I was impersonating Chris Rock" and then magically it is A-okay. Al this is going to do is result in those same frat houses that had their racist blackface parties changing the name to Chris Rock impersonation parties... the underlying meaning will remain the same but the woke warriors will have to accept it as fine and dandy since it is apparently okay to do blackface if its really to imitate Chris Rock. Amazing what the woke side will do to try and justify ignoring the balanced application of what they claim is never alright. I've also always wondered how Robert Downey Jr. managed to get away with blackface when he was in Tropic Thunder.

orlandogal22

Every now and then, I'll see the "Well, if you 'cancel' _____ for this, then you should cancel Bill Maher", and the response from many on the Left is often, "Yeah, that's fair. Go ahead."

No, seriously, Bill Maher sucks. He was in the film Tomcats, and he managed to be the worst thing in a film that also featured Jerry O'Connell trying to rescue Jake Busey's surgically removed testicle.

Why do you suppose Megyn Kelly was cancelled for simply asking a question about blackface, when Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, etc. plus Justin Trudeau and the governor of Virginia are just fine with having worn blackface? An apology will do! Carry on! Nothing to see here, folks!

I think you know the answer.

celluloid

And that is quite frankly a pathetic cop out. Now the woke police are going to try and determine what was in the mind of the person wearing blackface.... Using this theory then every white frat boy in America that has been ostracized for wearing what the university considered blackface need only say, "No, I was impersonating Chris Rock" and then magically it is A-okay. Al this is going to do is result in those same frat houses that had their racist blackface parties changing the name to Chris Rock impersonation parties... the underlying meaning will remain the same but the woke warriors will have to accept it as fine and dandy since it is apparently okay to do blackface if its really to imitate Chris Rock. Amazing what the woke side will do to try and justify ignoring the balanced application of what they claim is never alright. I've also always wondered how Robert Downey Jr. managed to get away with blackface when he was in Tropic Thunder.

Personally I don't mind changing color of make up for matching someone there is an impersonation of on a sketch show or enteratinment medium(theme parks do this daily when they have to. They cake that make up on most girls to make them look clean and light in some cases and darker in others)but I agree about the picking and choosing is wrong. The problem is the definition of blackface is based on the intent of making fun of someone and stereotyping BECAUSE of the color of their skin, not their perosnality. The same way I don't think In Living Color cast in the 90s was doing white face.

To the picking and choosing on this topic:
specifically to this case Why Splash Mountain has to go because people are trying to inference things, but Randy Newman still sings a couple of his songs with the N Word in it, but his music is what is going to carry this new attraction in Splash Mountain's place?

kong1802

Why do you suppose Megyn Kelly was cancelled for simply asking a question about blackface, when Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, etc. plus Justin Trudeau and the governor of Virginia are just fine with having worn blackface? An apology will do! Carry on! Nothing to see here, folks!

I think you know the answer.

I think timing is everything here.....

Not saying it's fair, but there's more leeway for what people have done in the past vs what someone has done in 2019....

Matt_Black

Or specifically to this caseWhy Splash Mountain has to go because people are trying to inference things, but Randy Newman still sings a couple of his songs with the N Word in it, but his music is what is going to carry this new attraction in Splash Mountain's place?

Calling Randy Newman racist for using the N-Word in the song "Rednecks" is a bit like calling Blazing Saddles racist for using the N-Word. (Not that I think they should be putting Blazing Saddles on Disney + any time soon).

orlandogal22

I think timing is everything here.....

Not saying it's fair, but there's more leeway for what people have done in the past vs what someone has done in 2019....

Question vs. Action

Seems posing a question on a talk show - regardless of year - should be exempt from cancellation.

But, indeed, we all know why she was axed and the others aren't. Left vs. Right.

celluloid

Calling Randy Newman racist for using the N-Word in the song "Rednecks" is a bit like calling Blazing Saddles racist for using the N-Word. (Not that I think they should be putting Blazing Saddles on Disney + any time soon).

Exactly. I am not calling Randy Newman Racist. I am pointing out the inconsistency
that is glarlingly obvious. Don't forget Christmas in Capetown. There are multiple racial slurs in that song. If someone is going to not cancel culture that and label it insensitive but Splash Mountain, they really are picking and choosing in some random ways to display hate and you would think if the company is willing to stray away from the Splash Mountain story, they would be straying from that too.

kong1802

Question vs. Action

Seems posing a question on a talk show - regardless of year - should be exempt from cancellation.

But, indeed, we all know why she was axed and the others aren't. Left vs. Right.

Perhaps....but, and again not fair, it also could have been because they were just waiting for an excuse. I think I recall her ratings were awful. Not sure if it was just the fact that she didn't know why it was bad was the real reason or not.

I do need to brush up on her case, though, tbh.

I don't agree with the question aspect. If you were to ask me right now why blackface was bad, I don't think I would think that highly of the question, to put it mildly.....People should know. People do know....

orlandogal22

That's between them and their physician.

Right. So why use that as your "defense" of those who wore blackface? Comedy or otherwise?

I'm sure none of us on here wore blackface in our lives, yet if there's a D next to someone's name in entertainment or politics, it's OK...because...well, "personal growth" but if there's an R next to their name, then damn them to Hades?

And folks wonder why people fight the "woke" mob. Because their cherrypicking of who to be offended by and who to "cancel" is complete hypocrisy.

Matt_Black

I'm sure none of us on here wore blackface in our lives, yet if there's a D next to someone's name in entertainment or politics, it's OK...because...well, "personal growth" but if there's an R next to their name, then damn them to Hades?

I'm sorry, I missed where the Prime Minister of Canada was a Democrat or Republican.

orlandogal22

Perhaps....but, and again not fair, it also could have been because they were just waiting for an excuse. I think I recall her ratings were awful. Not sure if it was just the fact that she didn't know why it was bad was the real reason or not.

I do need to brush up on her case, though, tbh.

I don't agree with the question aspect. If you were to ask me right now why blackface was bad, I don't think I would think that highly of the question, to put it mildly.....People should know. People do know....

I believe she was discussing (among perhaps 2-3 other guests) the use of blackface in costumes at Halloween. Asking a question. Posing something for thought.

Again, I am really not a fan of MK, never have been. But asking a question got her canned. Asking a question.

Doesn't anyone see how scary that is? And the slippery slope THAT type of situation can lead to if we are at - or get to - that point?

thomas998

But didn't you get the memo, It is never okay for a non-black to utter the n word. Simple as that... yet it is always fine and dandy for a black person to use the n word as much as they like, just listen to the standard rap songs of the day and you'll find that not only does the n-world flow as freely as water over Niagara falls... but they also get a free pass at sexualizing women to the nth degree. The hypocrisy is maddening.

celluloid

Oh look, another Randy Newman race driven song.
Randy Newman is definitely major into that side of politics. He wrote a race generalizing song during Obama's campaign called "I'm Dreamin" where suspciously he compared ideals to a color of a person's skin. That makes three songs where he relies on race profiling or stereotyping for his music. Satirical or not, that is a lot of reliance and an odd choice to put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom