Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

WOAH...Did somebody actually write those comments about Brer Fox and Brer Bear?

Who was it?

Matt Black, post 4, 488 on page 226. He also said that Bear Fox was a negative stereotype of African Americans because he sees that Brer Fox refuses to get a job, and hunts Brer Fox instead of buying dinner. Nevermind the fact that he was wrong from the get go calling Brer Rabbit in the ride lazy because all he wants to do is lay around. That is literally against what the storytelling is. The ride is Ber Rabbit being bored and wanting an adventure. That is what gets him to realize, sometimes a day at home is ok to relax, as he can't be still "time to be movin' along"
Seriously. That was Matt Blacks argument in that post. He then tried to defend that thought by saying there are clothing, therefore there must be an ecnomomy and Brer Fox clearly has the negative stereotype of avoiding a job. That was his defense when it pointed out that there is no storytelling or dialogue in the ride to support that, and that was his predjudice projected onto that character

Matt_Black

Matt Black, post 4, 488 on page 226. He also said that Bear Fox was a negative stereotype of African Americans

Again, I did not say that. I said it was evocative of stereotypes, in the same way that the goblins from Harry Potter are evocative of stereotypes of Jewish people. Again, I don't think in either case this was deliberate, but it shows how racial bias can seep into everyday life.

aw14

I assume you mean Life is Beautiful. I haven’t seen it, but if there are indeed issues in its handling of the subject, I don’t see how that undermines my point.
that was what I meant- sorry

Yes there were issues, of which the academy awards ignored.

The family members that were in the camp were happy/laughing, etc..there was context that goes into that as well.

celluloid

Again, I did not say that. I said it was evocative of stereotypes, in the same way that the goblins from Harry Potter are evocative of stereotypes of Jewish people. Again, I don't think in either case this was deliberate, but it shows how racial bias can seep into everyday life.

Your post is quoted and referenced there. Those are human traits into art, not racial. If you put a specific race or group of people over the character who is the only Fox in that world we know of for that matter, that is incredibly racist. You said it, Let me put it this way for you, you more than evoked it. You can't even defend the fact that you straight up are opposite in your view of the storyelling of Ber Rabbit's journey. He is bored and can't be still. That is his flaw, not being lazy. How is that even matching your words and your arugment of Brer Rabbit evokes the idea of the negative stereotype that African Americans are lazy?

Just because the bias of the audience slips it in there(in this case, you) does not mean the creators or the other audience members should feel guilty or obliged to agree.

Last edited:

21stamps

If the child happens to be a minority, sometimes it's someone else's racist parents who teach them.

I was thinking about one of my son’s classmates today. The one (half) African American kid in the grade.. 1 of 2 at the school, the other being his older brother.

I am so glad that school is out during all of this. I feel terrible for black children right now, this must be all so confusing for them.. and I pray that all parents of all colors are being smart in their explanations. How do you explain a “Black Lives Matter” mural when a young kid asks? The riots, the statue destruction?

How would a black skinned child feel in a classroom right now, knowing that all of his friends and teammates are white, but seeing or hearing about how white people are so bad?

LittleBuford

that was what I meant- sorry

Yes there were issues, of which the academy awards ignored.

The family members that were in the camp were happy/laughing, etc..there was context that goes into that as well.

As I said, I don’t see how this undermines my point about Song of the South. Many films, old and new, have issues.

aw14

As I said, I don’t see how this undermines my point about Song of the South. Many films, old and new, have issues.
my point being- people aren't out protesting Life is Beautiful, nor should they. Hell, SotS hasn't been available in decades, people are likely no longer out protesting it, just a ride that draws no connection to it in its current form

21stamps

my point being- people aren't out protesting Life is Beautiful, nor should they. Hell, SotS hasn't been available in decades, people are likely no longer out protesting it, just a ride that draws no connection to it in its current form

Do you think the Merchant of Venice should be banned from schools?

LittleBuford

If a family theme park created an attraction with characters derived from Life is Beautiful, I imagine that too could cause issues somewhere down the line.

Chi84

Premium Member
If Disney rides are expected to provide history lessons or teaching moments, maybe we’re asking too much from them. Just don’t model a ride based on Merchant of Venice and you have no problem.

Last edited:

21stamps

I Disney rides are expected to provide history lessons or teaching moments, maybe we’re asking too much from them. Just don’t model a ride based on Merchant of Venice and you have no problem.

Can we say the same for all books? I’d love if all schools brought back 2 classics.

The comment wasn’t about a ride, it was about what books are currently banned in many areas.

Incomudro

There also existed African-American inventors, entrepreneurs, law makers, cowboys, etc. They tend to show up less in the movies of the time. Funny, that.

Me: We should take steps to recognize the ways in which biases, prejudices, and stereotypes can unconsciously influence creative works.
You: Does that me we should remove everything?
Me: ...

They did show up less in movies of the time.
Know why?
Marketing.
The market for them would have been so small.
So, entertainment - particularly movies was mostly "white" and marketed towards white people where it would seel.
Roles by minorities were indeed often not the best.

aw14

Do you think the Merchant of Venice should be banned from schools?
absolutely not. Personally, I am for a more "inclusive" approach. Meaning, that these become teachable moments for professional educators. Explain the time, the context, etc...ignoring it or banning it doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Further, there is something to be said that being made to be uncomfortable in a classroom isn't always a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom