Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

absolutely not. Personally, I am for a more "inclusive" approach. Meaning, that these become teachable moments for professional educators. Explain the time, the context, etc...ignoring it or banning it doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Further, there is something to be said that being made to be uncomfortable in a classroom isn't always a bad thing.

This is so refreshing to read.. but I hoped and almost expected you to have such thoughts.

I was required to read all 3 (Huck, Merchant, To Kill a Mockingbird) in school, and all 3 were taught with context of the time, as well as discussions about the racism and anti-semitism .. I think we’re better for it.

aw14

This is so refreshing to read.. but I hoped and almost expected you to have such thoughts.

I was required to read all 3 (Huck, Merchant, To Kill a Mockingbird) in school, and all 3 were taught with context of the time, as well as discussions about the racism and anti-semitism .. I think we’re better for it.
exactly, more information is better imo. I taught History for a long time. My teaching philosophy was always "if not me, who, if not now, when"?

They need to understand even uncomfortable things, and have it put in its appropriate context.

aw14

“Characters derived from” was my carefully chosen phrasing. The characters are derived from Song of the South.
The semantics doesnt matter, imo

If you would like to become an imagineer, I am not sure a Life is Beautiful attraction would garner interest, but I wouldn't object

Brer Panther

I would just like to point out that Raj from The Big Bang Theory is an offensive Indian stereotype far more stereotypical than Brer Rabbit is to African-Americans, yet I don't see anybody demanding reruns of The Big Bang Theory be taken off the air.

ImperfectPixie

Me: We should take steps to recognize the ways in which biases, prejudices, and stereotypes can unconsciously influence creative works.
You: Does that me we should remove everything?
Me: ...
Way to totally misrepresent a conversation.

You never said that. You've been pointing to things that you think are racist, when they are not. I've simply been providing evidence that proves your "interpretation" of things is incorrect.

LittleBuford

I would just like to point out that Raj from The Big Bang Theory is an offensive Indian stereotype far more stereotypical than Brer Rabbit is to African-Americans, yet I don't see anybody demanding reruns of The Big Bang Theory be taken off the air.

Disney isn’t retheming Splash Mountain because of people’s demands. It’s a calculated decision rather than some spur-of-the-moment concession.

Brer Panther

Disney isn’t retheming Splash Mountain because of people’s demands.
Am I really supposed to believe it's just a coincidence that they're retheming Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog after a petition was started and got lots of attention telling them to retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog?

Matt_Black

Am I really supposed to believe it's just a coincidence that they're retheming Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog after a petition was started and got lots of attention telling them to retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog?

Yes. Actually. Turner Classic Movies, the past few weeks, have been running their short documentary on the history of blackface in films. That was first released back in January, or at least that's when they also made it available on Youtube. It was produced well before all the attention now started, it just happens to be really relevant now.

ImperfectPixie

Hell, Howard Wolowitz & his mother, are also quite offensive to the Jewish community.
All of the characters are very stereotypical. They do everything EXCEPT coming right out and saying that Sheldon is autistic...they even mention that his mother "had him tested" several times throughout the series. I'm mom to 2 autistic boys...but I find Sheldon to be hilarious...because he nails so many qualities that my older son has (my son isn't so self-righteous, thankfully).

ETA: One of the things that comes along with a child receiving an autism diagnosis is isolation. Many, MANY people behave as if it's contagious...because they don't understand it (no one REALLY does - even doctors), and it's scary to face things we don't understand. What I really appreciate about the Sheldon character is that they highlight that he is constantly learning, even though social situations are uncomfortable/difficult for him, and that he is constantly growing as a person...which is honestly something we should all strive to do. And hopefully, the show helps people to understand that "different" isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

The timing certainly isn’t coincidental, but a single petition with relatively few signatures isn’t going to prompt such a major move, particularly when no-one was expecting Disney to spend money on any inessential projects. Whether the idea was already in the works or not, Disney decided of its own volition that this was the best move in the long run, as well as something that could earn them some positive PR in the current moment.

orlandogal22

The timing certainly isn’t coincidental, but a single petition with relatively few signatures isn’t going to prompt such a major move, particularly when no-one was expecting Disney to spend money on any inessential projects. Whether the idea was already in the works or not, Disney decided of its own volition that this was the best move in the long run, as well as something that could earn them some positive PR in the current moment.

It's disingenuous then.

aw14

Yep!

Gotta get rid of The Godfather too - stereotyping Italians as mobsters; glorifying the mob.
Also, the Rocky franchise - stereotyping Italian boxers as dumb oafs.

It'll never end.
My oldest friend and his family are fresh off the boat from Sicily. His high school graduation party was like a scene out of the Godfather. It still makes me laugh to this day some 27 years later. But the running joke was, if you asked what his birthstone was, his answer was always the same- cement

orlandogal22

My oldest friend and his family are fresh off the boat from Sicily. His high school graduation party was like a scene out of the Godfather. It still makes me laugh to this day some 27 years later. But the running joke was, if you asked what his birthstone was, his answer was always the same- cement

Yep. Same with my cousin's family. She married into a big Italian family and it was like I stepped into The Godfather at the wedding. But, you know...the "woke" crowd may find it offensive these days. :rolleyes:

ImperfectPixie

Yep. Same with my cousin's family. She married into a big Italian family and it was like I stepped into The Godfather at the wedding. But, you know...the "woke" crowd may find it offensive these days. :rolleyes:
We're not even Italian, but my husband and I looked at each other during our wedding reception when everyone was handing us envelopes, and just said "Oh my God...this is like the wedding scene in Goodfellas!" and laughed our heads off.

thomas998

I Disney rides are expected to provide history lessons or teaching moments, maybe we’re asking too much from them. Just don’t model a ride based on Merchant of Venice and you have no problem.
Says who? I don't take my kids to a Disney park to try and provide a history lesson or teaching moment. Frankly Disney is the last place I would go for a history lesson because they have a habit of fictionalizing so much that I would spend most of my trip trying to sort out fact from fiction. A theme park is for entertainment, the problems start to pop up when people start believing they are anything more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom