Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

The only solution is to level it all. With maybe the exception of Tomorrowland.. though CoP would have to go too.. can’t remind women of a time before they had equal rights.
HoP has to go too.. slave owners and Native American slayers.

Level it all. From CoP on... leave a corner of Tomorrowland. That’s what would be left afterwards.

Replace it all with Wokeworld.

In all seriousness, and as I said before - this is the problem with cancel culture.
They cannot coexist with anything that offends them, and they make the rules and continuously move the lines as to what offends.
I don't see any creativity coming from them.
Only destruction.
So...
Create your own Wokeworld.
Create your own new movies.

SilentWindODoom

Both fit the classical Disney view on women- You can’t really be happy or find success until a man falls in love with you. At that point your life can start, possibilities open for you. No success until then, just a mess of running around or needing a fairy to help you..

Snow was happy in that cottage with those dwarfs and would have been happy and successful if it weren't for a witch.

Cinderella was an abuse victim with nowhere to go. Do you think all people under this circumstance should just grow a backbone and walk out on their own?

Aurora was a romantic. She wanted to marry who she wanted to marry and rejected the idea of getting wed to some prince she didn't know.

Ariel has been hotly debated. Some think she's impulsive and driven by wanting a man. Some thing that it's her love of humanity that drives her more than anything. Either way, while she's being an impulsive teenager of a classic role that I've personally seen plenty in my life who's taken her own agency into her hands and does what she chooses.

Belle wants to not be a submissive, barefoot and pregnant wife to some brute in a small village. She gives up her freedom to save her father and winds up finding someone who appreciates her for who she is and doesn't want her to change. She doesn't like who he is, and he changes his bad habits.

Jasmine, similar to Belle, starts in a situation where she has life with a domineering husband threatened to be thrust upon her. She finds love with someone she prefers, sniffs him out rather easily, and chooses her own way.

Mulan... I mean... Just Mulan.

Tiana has ambitions out of the household and owns her own business. She realized when being tempted by Facilier that if you're successful and you have no loved ones to share it with, then it can be empty. Someone who falls in love and gets married isn't submitting to the Patriarchy.

Merida. Just Merida.

I think Frozen does it best. Because it gives two different paths and two different possibilities. Anna is the romantic. She's dreamt her whole life of having a family of her own. She finds love with a guy who respects her and loves her and makes mistakes every once and again, but nobody is perfect.

Elsa seems to be aromantic, and she has her life on her own, lives life the way she wants to be, is totally independent and winds up finding fulfillment with her life by the end of the second film living with the Northuldra.

They are both valid lives and both valid choices. It's what they want. I'm not going to treat women like children and tell them that what they want isn't valid. I have more respect for them than that. Feminism is believing that a woman should strive to be whatever they wish to be. It's not telling anyone that their goals aren't valid. Some girls like the whole Princess thing. And I think that telling black girls that they can't get the traditional princess treatment is just another source of exclusion.

Excluding the Tar Baby cartoon, of course.

Why? People have taken that term and made it into a racial slur, but this fable is the origin of the term. We're talking a lot about the importance of origins, and this story is completely innocent.

On a completely separate note, anyone heard from Brer Oswald at all? I'm worried.

21stamps

Feminism is believing that a woman should strive to be whatever they wish to be

100% this is what feminism is. We need the stay at home moms just as much as we need the corporate and entrepreneur moms.. they are making that choice... but to pretend that Disney ever presented the “choice”, is a joke of the worst form.

I can’t go back and quote the other line I wanted to address.. there is more to life for women than marriage., marriage is fine, it’s great, but you don’t need to wait to leave your parents’ house until you get married. Women can have their own careers, their own successes, their own identity, completely themselves., and then choose to get married later on, while keeping that identity, or maybe not choose it at all. Girls have the ability to be more than a wife..Another thing that is not presented in Disney’s princess tales.

The thing is, I don’t expect it to be in their classic movies.. because I realize that time was different when those stories were written. However, let’s not pretend that they don’t check off every stereotype.

Last edited:

Disneyrailfan1996

I wonder when/if they’ll do the same to Tokyo’s splash mountain. I can see them doing it in the same fashion they did with updating every Star Tours. Well, then again, Star Tours and Splash Mountain are 2 VERY different rides, so that’s like comparing an update to Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress to an update to Soarin’ (as a side note, a small one should be done for Epcot to keep up with the ongoing changes with the park)

Chi84

Premium Member
This is incredibly naive considering the current climate of cancel culture. When you open that door, it cannot just be shut. And you don't get to pick what is offensive, the cancel culture crowd does. You know this whether you admit it or not.
Except that I think this is a decision made by Disney to be more inclusive and more relevant to current and future generations. I don't believe that the decision was made based on a petition, nor do I believe petitions will change it. Disney has always leaned toward being progressive and inclusive.

I'm not naive at all. I've lived long enough not to be persuaded by the argument that once a door opens, it can't be shut. In my experience, most times the door should be opened, and there's no need or desire to shut it.

Your argument has several permutations. Give an inch and they will take a mile is one - what ride will the people we don't agree with go after next? Maybe soon there will be nothing left for us Disney purists! Chicken Little syndrome also comes to mind. Disney changing a ride to be more inclusive will not lead to the end of the world. There's also the argument that Disney changing the ride as planned won't be good enough; they should leave our beloved ride for us to enjoy and give the complainers a different, bigger and better ride.

This world turns particularly ugly every now and then when people feel threatened. I saw it in the 1960's and 70's and I'm seeing echoes of those same arguments now, albeit in a much more benign context. Please don't tell me what I know or accuse me of being naive or untruthful.

Disneyrailfan1996

Also the majority of parents would probably just say they are Splash characters. Parents right now grew up in the 80s and 90s. As someone born in the late 80s, all the people I know growing up don’t know the film, but know the ride. The ride is basically it’s own IP. Without social media, I think the characters would have lost all connection to the film and only been associated with the ride.
Funny you say that since I view the appearance of “Laughing Place” in the entrance loop as “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf” from the 3 Little Pigs cartoon unlike what some people may think when they hear it if they’ve been on splash mountain.

The_Jobu

Against my better judgement I'm jumping back into the politics thread to share an unpopular opinion I have:

Art from the past, that isnt made for mockery or hate is not racist. I dont think stereotypes are inherently racist, the purpose and context matters a lot. I think the brush has gotten too big lately and we're all painting in gigantic strokes.

Ok there. Who wants to fight about it?

BromBones

So, Brer Fox is an offensive black stereotype because he's a "schemer trying to get an easy meal who's not nearly as clever as he thinks"... does that mean Wile E. Coyote is an offensive black stereotype too? I at least understand why Brer Fox's VOICE makes some think of him as an offensive stereotype (even though it's no worse than Eddie Murphy's), but this just seems ridiculous.

And Brer Bear is an offensive black stereotype because he's a "big, dumb brute"? How does that automatically make somebody a black stereotype? I legitimately do not get this...

WOAH...Did somebody actually write those comments about Brer Fox and Brer Bear?

Who was it?

ImperfectPixie

Against my better judgement I'm jumping back into the politics thread to share an unpopular opinion I have:

Art from the past, that isnt made for mockery or hate is not racist. I dont think stereotypes are inherently racist, the purpose and context matters a lot. I think the brush has gotten too big lately and we're all painting in gigantic strokes.

Ok there. Who wants to fight about it?
I agree 100%. There are people out there who want to remove context and intent from everything, and that's not right. You can't get to the true meaning of anything without those two elements.

celluloid

You know, I thought this thread would make me bummed at the hate in the world and have the same hate that social media can amplify, but I have to say, it is refreshing to see so many look at this realistically and some discovering that the movie never should have been so retracted(and never hated to this level until recently)
It sure is nice to see that least come out of this.
It's the truth, it's actual.

Last edited:

BromBones

You know, I thought this thread would make me bummed at the hate in the world and have the same hate that social.medua can amplify, but I have to say, it is refreshing to see so many look at this realistically and some discovering that the movie never should have been so retracted(and never hated to this level until recently)

I recently bought the movie for my wife this past Christmas. There is nothing wrong with it.
It is simply the retelling of Black American folk tales that were told on the plantations.

LittleBuford

I recently bought the movie for my wife this past Christmas. There is nothing wrong with it.
It is simply the retelling of Black American folk tales that were told on the plantations.

The romanticisation of plantation life doesn’t strike you as problematic?

21stamps

You know, I thought this thread would make me bummed at the hate in the world and have the same hate that social.medua can amplify, but I have to say, it is refreshing to see so many look at this realistically and some discovering that the movie never should have been so retracted(and never hated to this level until recently)

Here’s my “on this day” FB post from 5 years ago..
I had hoped we’d be better off by now, but I read it, think about what’s going on, and realize that we aren’t much better off, if at all...though there are still some rational people left.

01240D2D-B00D-420E-AC91-785811D144F1.jpeg

Incomudro

It's satisfactual!

Matt_Black

When people say things like this...
Where there not people like her at the time the movie depicts?
It may not be flattering, but people like that existed.

There also existed African-American inventors, entrepreneurs, law makers, cowboys, etc. They tend to show up less in the movies of the time. Funny, that.

No straw man at all. Look at what you said and insinuated was a fault of the animated sequences of SotS...

Me: We should take steps to recognize the ways in which biases, prejudices, and stereotypes can unconsciously influence creative works.
You: Does that me we should remove everything?
Me: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom