Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabreezept813

Mark Twain and Harper Lee are the two most banned authors in the US. It blows my mind.
Instead of challenging our youth with critical thinking of a different time and place, we remove it.
The most nonsensical part is that both books contain stories that are in defiance of racism.
Which is interesting because I use my TKAM unit to discuss relevant race issues. We juxtapose it with Just Mercy and other speeches and texts by living, breathing black writers. Just Mercy is a really interesting comparison because it shows that in the very setting that Lee describes, society is still not progressive. I always tell my Am Lit students, the best part of the course is seeing the literature literally change in the way it is written but also in ideas. You go from mostly dead white male writers—who are still wonderful writers (Poe, Hawthorne,etc)to such a diverse postmodern group of writers with various multiethnic identities (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Julia Alvarez, Khafka Hosseini)

21stamps

When you're at the buffet, do you grab EVERYTHING? No, people have the right to skip the Brussels sprouts if they don't want to eat them right now. Same thing with entertainment. A lot of people would just rather not deal with Song Of The South right now, and would rather put a little Princess & The Frog on their plate.

Ah, so offense is like a buffet. Only choose what looks good at the time. The rest doesn’t matter, because we’ve said that one veggie looks more inviting than the other right now.

Native Americans aren’t trending, so Peter Pan (and all associated songs and characters) can stay.

At least we’re honest. 😂

SilentWindODoom

The media wouldn’t let them.

I don't know. When you're talking about actual news media... They reported this and moved onto more important stuff. Are they going to keep checking up on it? Do they really care? Is it a huge story in the grander scheme of things? When the episodes of shows being banned are brought back, will anyone make a stink of it, or will they just kinda shrug if they notice at all? The Orlando Sentinel and the community will freak, but... I just don't know how hard it will be to not cow to pressure when the pressure isn't as strong.

And how much has been written deriding Disney for other things while the Mouse has continued on without changing course? Right now, it's untenable to be accused of this. It may be easier to skate later.

AugieMorosco

What happens if we go after the princesses, and western depictions, and Main Street, etc.. will we still understand then?

I’m just looking for someone to explain why we pick and choose, when we know that all of it is really a fairytale made out of tougher times, and full of stereotypes.
I understand this slippery slope idea, but in reality it makes no sense. If that's the case, then no matter how insensitive or offensive something is, it should still stay on proud display. Nothing is perfect, but the truth is some things are more offensive and bothersome than others. I thought jungle cruise would be modified before Splash for that exact reason. I love the ride, but I cringe during "those" parts. That is against everything the parks should be. WDW is an escape, not a history museum to learn about our mistakes and not a place where a family could reasonably feel less than or mocked. I would plead with you to be empathetic to those families who might be in that situation.

21stamps

Which is interesting because I use my TKAM unit to discuss relevant race issues. We juxtapose it with Just Mercy and other speeches and texts by living, breathing black writers. Just Mercy is a really interesting comparison because it shows that in the very setting that Lee describes, society is still not progressive. I always tell my Am Lit students, the best part of the course is seeing the literature literally change in the way it is written but also in ideas. You go from mostly dead white male writers—who are still wonderful writers (Poe, Hawthorne,etc)to such a diverse postmodern group of writers with various multiethnic identities (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Julia Alvarez, Khafka Hosseini)
I hope, for your future students, that your school and state will allow you to continue teaching this way. Kids need it.

21stamps

That is not remotely what I said. If you want to have a frank, honest discussion, at least do so in good faith.

But it really is... As you said, we know that none of it accurate, a lot of it is offensive if we look deep enough., but we’re willing to leave the rest, because out of the full buffet, we’re choosing which one to take, while viewing all.

Matt_Black

I understand this slippery slope idea, but in reality it makes no sense. If that's the case, then no matter how insensitive or offensive something is, it should still stay on proud display. Nothing is perfect, but the truth is some things are more offensive and bothersome than others. I thought jungle cruise would be modified before Splash for that exact reason. I love the ride, but I cringe during "those" parts. That is against everything the parks should be. WDW is an escape, not a history museum to learn about our mistakes and not a place where a family could reasonably feel less than or mocked. I would plead with you to be empathetic to those families who might be in that situation.

"Why do you want to pull Splash Mountain? Why can't we discuss it like grown-ups?"
"Okay. While the film doesn't have any overtly negative messages like Birth Of A Nation, it does reinforce-"
"LA-LA-LA! I can't hear you!"
"But didn't you say-"
"Do you hate Uncle Remus and want to murder him?"
"What? No. He's a... fictional character, who-"
"If you pull Splash Mountain, what's next? The Astro Orbiter?"
"What?!? Nobody wants to change or remove the Astro Orbiter."
"Nobody wants to change or remove it YET."
"Do you want it changed, is that why you're bringing it up?"
"You can have the Astro Orbiter when you pull it from my COLD DEAD HANDS."
"..."
"Is that too un-PC for you?"
"... Are you okay?"

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
"Why do you want to pull Splash Mountain? Why can't we discuss it like grown-ups?"
"Okay. While the film doesn't have any overtly negative messages like Birth Of A Nation, it does reinforce-"
"But didn't you say-"
"..."
"... Are you okay?"
That is disingenuous at best. But, according to you, those who want the ride to stay are the immature ones. This is typical - folks like you appreciate diversity of ideas and opinions as long as those opinions are progressive; otherwise, they are invalid and by holding them you are racist/misogynistic/transphobic/evil.

21stamps

"But didn't you say-"
"..."
"... Are you okay?"

One problem with this display, It’s not at all what was being discussed. However, it’s more convenient to pretend that Astro Orbiter was the discussion, and not actually other stories that we all know have problems with their origins.
Much easier to pretend they aren’t there.

AugieMorosco

Uncomfortable parts of the past? I guess for someone whose relatives weren't even in the US at the time?

My ancestors fought Indians and owned slaves. I don't have any problem with that. One side of the family is French and had to leave France in a hurry so I assumed they had peasants working for them, that wasn't much different from slavery. At the time I'm sure the peasnats were looking to behead my ancestors. I don't hold a grudge.

Al this stuff has nothing to do with me, it is a long time in the past. You can't rewrite history. Slavery was the norm for thousands of years. I guess we'll have to get rid of anything Roman or any other Mediterranean, Africa based society? They all had slaves that's where the idea came from.
Rewriting and proudly displaying are different things.

Matt_Black

One problem with this display, It’s not at all what was being discussed. However, it’s more convenient to pretend that Astro Orbiter was the discussion, and not actually other stories that we all know have problems with their origins.
Much easier to pretend they aren’t there.

I was throwing a bit of hyperbole in for comedic effect. But somehow it's the people who like progressive things who are "too sensitive" and "can't take a joke"

Bairstow

...I guess we'll have to get rid of anything Roman or any other Mediterranean, Africa based society? They all had slaves that's where the idea came from.,,,

Are you honestly suggesting this, or are you making an intentionally ridiculous proposition because you don't understand why modern Americans are offended by a glorification of black American slavery?

Matt_Black

Are you honestly suggesting this, or are you making an intentionally ridiculous proposition because you don't understand why modern Americans are offended by a glorification of black American slavery?

I'm just thinking back to how years ago, when Disney removed the Confederate flag from the American Adventure Pavilion. Many were claiming this was an attempt to erase or change history, or somehow refusing to learn about the past. Many of those same posters ALSO refused to acknowledge that the Confederacy was explicitly formed, as stated in the secession documents and the Confederate Constitution, to promote and protect slavery.

AugieMorosco

I was throwing a bit of hyperbole in for comedic effect. But somehow it's the people who like progressive things who are "too sensitive" and "can't take a joke"
At this point, it really doesn't feel like much of the pushback is about the ride itself, but rather a perceived "victory" for one side of the political spectrum. The Walt Disney Company has clearly carved a progressive and inclusive path forward with no signs of hanging onto the most troubling parts of its past. This whole thing should really come as no surprise. For the slippery slope group, you're right to a degree I guess. You can probably expect more changes down the road - though the hyperbolic examples are ridiculous. Maybe I'm wrong and it's really about a deep nostalgia for Brer Rabbit and family memories of Splash Mountain, but the arguments and points seem to suggest otherwise.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
It is hilarious and not at all exhausting to be called or impliedly called a bigot by rando netizens for daring to not fall into line with the progressive agenda 100%.

To be clear, I am not mad or angry. I'm tired. This thread and those like it are exhausting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom