Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

DizFiz

Way to go... it looks absolutely fantastic love everything about the refurbishment... the animatronics and the way they move are just stunning never knew those animatronics could even do what I saw in the video... I was just hoping that we would be splashing like the early 90's but we got more than that... lets hope TDO keeps this mantained.

I'm sure excited to see this when I go back in May sometime.

Just replicate this success in the other attractions in need of refurbishments and the park will look fantastic.

Sassagoula-Rvr

This makes me so happy...my favorite attraction...THIS is why I frequent Disney over anywhere else...let's just hope this is signaling a change...If nothing else it's good to see they still got "it". Disney hasn't lost everything to cost cutting and restructuring.

MerlinTheGoat

Wow, I can't tell you people how happy I am about this! Some things were a bit difficult to see in the video, but it still seems pretty damn crystal clear that this refurb turned out great and they did things right. It looks like they not only repainted everything, but they did indeed fix all the animatronics, gave them a good long cleaning, fixed all the water features in the laughing place, and did everything else that needed addressing to. There's obviously only so much you can see from a video, but from what I can tell the ride looks fantastic! Looks like the tarps in the loading area are long gone as well, and the area is still lit by the outside light (so earlier worries that it might be enclosed with rock can be put to rest it would seem). Some of the sound quality even sounds like it was fixed where it needed to be.

It would seem with the proper budget and motivation, Disney IS still capable of reopening attractions in great shape. And in a very short time frame even when the attraction is in dire need of attention. Again only so much I can tell from the video and everything, but what I was specifically looking for seems to have been corrected. I readily admit to them doing a great job and I was wrong in my worries that it wouldn't turn out well. It feels so good to be wrong lol!

So they have passed the first of two tests, refurbing an attraction properly. Now the second half of the test will be continuing to keep it in the condition it's in now and taking it down whenever it needs another one (before it gets back into the shape it was in prior to refurb).

The ONLY thing i'm not quite sure about whether is working or not is the projection effect where silhouettes of Brer Bear and Fox are chasing Brer Rabbit over the hill (shortly before Brer Bear gets caught up in the rope trap). It's hard to say because the video person may have simply not caught the effect at the proper time (I can still hear the laughing that is supposed to accompany the projection). Also didn't see the projection effect of Brer Fox at the top of the final lift hill, but again the video guy may simply have missed the timing of it.

I'd still like to see another video to get a better look at certain things, but i'm still highly satisfied so far with what i've seen of this refurb.

Yert3

You may have missed the shadow projection, because it is working. And Frog (and all the others) will drop sync every so often, that's just a part of dealing with show control. It should fix itself pretty quickly. Bird will be working soon, as '71 mentioned.
Okay cool. Yes the video I saw the Shadow projection wasn't on, but saw another one and it was. so that's good. :)

MerlinTheGoat

You may have missed the shadow projection, because it is working. And Frog (and all the others) will drop sync every so often, that's just a part of dealing with show control. It should fix itself pretty quickly. Bird will be working soon, as '71 mentioned.
Edit- Oh that's good to know, thought it might have just been because he missed the timing of the effect. I can still hear the voices that accompany the effects when he's not pointing towards it. Thanks for the info, looks like everything is fine!

openendedsky

Wow, I can't tell you people how happy I am about this! Some things were a bit difficult to see in the video, but it still seems pretty damn crystal clear that this refurb turned out great and they did things right. It looks like they not only repainted everything, but they did indeed fix all the animatronics, gave them a good long cleaning, fixed all the water features in the laughing place, and did everything else that needed addressing to. There's obviously only so much you can see from a video, but from what I can tell the ride looks fantastic! Looks like the tarps in the loading area are long gone as well, and the area is still lit by the outside light (so earlier worries that it might be enclosed with rock can be put to rest it would seem). Some of the sound quality even sounds like it was fixed where it needed to be.

It would seem with the proper budget and motivation, Disney IS still capable of reopening attractions in great shape. And in a very short time frame even when the attraction is in dire need of attention. Again only so much I can tell from the video and everything, but what I was specifically looking for seems to have been corrected. I readily admit to them doing a great job and I was wrong in my worries that it wouldn't turn out well. It feels so good to be wrong lol!

So they have passed the first of two tests, refurbing an attraction properly. Now the second half of the test will be continuing to keep it in the condition it's in now and taking it down whenever it needs another one (before it gets back into the shape it was in prior to refurb).

The ONLY thing i'm not quite sure about whether is working or not is the projection effect where silhouettes of Brer Bear and Fox are chasing Brer Rabbit over the hill (shortly before Brer Bear gets caught up in the rope trap). It's hard to say because the video person may have simply not caught the effect at the proper time (I can still hear the laughing that is supposed to accompany the projection). Also didn't see the projection effect of Brer Fox at the top of the final lift hill, but again the video guy may simply have missed the timing of it. I'd still like to see another video to get a better look at certain things, but i'm still highly satisfied so far with what i've seen of this refurb.
Agreed, and a well thought out post. We can only hope that this is the beginning of a very substantial turnaround for TDO.

articos

The ONLY thing i'm not quite sure about whether is working or not is the projection effect where silhouettes of Brer Bear and Fox are chasing Brer Rabbit over the hill (shortly before Brer Bear gets caught up in the rope trap). It's hard to say because the video person may have simply not caught the effect at the proper time (I can still hear the laughing that is supposed to accompany the projection). Also didn't see the projection effect of Brer Fox at the top of the final lift hill, but again the video guy may simply have missed the timing of it.

I'd still like to see another video to get a better look at certain things, but i'm still highly satisfied so far with what i've seen of this refurb.
Also helps there were a few people on this refurb who helped build the attraction and knew what it's supposed to look like. :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And in a very short time frame even when the attraction is in dire need of attention.

Excellent point.

The amount of time this was scheduled to be down was not encouraging, considering Disney's recent track record of incredibly slow work. But this turned out wonderfully.

Hopefully, they take what they learned here, and bring it over to AK. Do fast, and full refurbs on DINO and EE.

openendedsky

I'm so giddy right now I can't explain it.

Excellent point.

The amount of time this was scheduled to be down was not encouraging, considering Disney's recent track record of incredibly slow work. But this turned out wonderfully.

Hopefully, they take what they learned here, and bring it over to AK. Do fast, and full refurbs on DINO and EE.
Can they do the Yeti without screwing up the surrounding structure? Then again, if they can bring Splash back like this, I feel like TDO has the potential to do anything.

WDW1974

Just dropping in for a quick comment as today is a work day and I can't play like I'd like, but I've skimmed thru the comments and it would 'seem' that Disney has done a standup job on refurbing Splash Mtn. I won't say that is totally the case until I ride it later this spring and I won't say it period if the logs still reek of BO from 2002. Sorry, Disney, keeping ride vehicles clean nightly IS just part of the cost of doing business that you forgot about.

And while I'll be happy if Disney did a bangup job on this (they also did on Mansion and HoP, so we all know it is possible), I won't be screaming their praise from the rafters of MAGIC because all they've done is what should have been done a long, long time ago.

When fans get lathered up over BASIC and REQUIRED upkeep on attractions and fixing years of NEGLECT, well ... that ain't me. They're just doing what I pay for and what I expect. I am sorry if others have diminished expectations or less discerning standards.

erasure fan1

Beautiful, they still have what it takes, when they want to. Now on to Pan please.
I have never really doubted the ability, just the want to. Disney has proven that they can do just about anything, when they want. Lets just hope that this will be rule and not the exception from here on out. I'll be there in just over 2 months so I hope its in as good condition then as what people are saying now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom