Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
In regards to the state of WDW and its comparisons to TDL: a good chuck of what is mostly brought up as not working/poor upkeep/maintenance are things that WDW's guests, as disrespectful as they are, don't have access too/couldn't damage if they want too. The functionality (or lack thereof) of AAs, the enabling/disabling of effects, etc have (in general) nothing to to with guest behavior. That strictly falls on TDO and their decisions, practices, and procedures. Little Billy might have puked in the queue, but that's not why the Yeti stopped moving.[/quoteI'm
In regards to the state of WDW and its comparisons to TDL: a good chuck of what is mostly brought up as not working/poor upkeep/maintenance are things that WDW's guests, as disrespectful as they are, don't have access too/couldn't damage if they want too. The functionality (or lack thereof) of AAs, the enabling/disabling of effects, etc have (in general) nothing to to with guest behavior. That strictly falls on TDO and their decisions, practices, and procedures. Little Billy might have puked in the queue, but that's not why the Yeti stopped moving.
. And I'm in agreement with you....it's just when you combine both factors, it makes the experience even less magical. If WDW didn't have to focus on the issues caused by guests, the overall appearance of the parks would be that much better. The AA's might not be functioning, but their surroundings would look great.

Lexxweb

Would you like a published reference? Like maybe 'Realityland'? Or any other numbers of books that document the shift in philosophy of dedicated staff to area-based staff, and ultimately reduction in staffing and ultimately outsourcing in same areas?

A published reference? That's useless. I can tell you first hand that's not the case at Universal Studios. I am the reference.
Disney's no different. What source do you ACTUALLY have?

Thank you,

COProgressFan

The frustrating thing is WDW was so excellent in its execution at its peak (The Halcyon Days), that even having fallen several notches off its pedestal, it (WDW) will continue to be a major draw. The execs seem to have discovered (to my dismay) that there is no need to operate at the Gold Standard when they can operate at the Bronze Standard and take home more money.

Perfectly stated. And quite sad, actually.

Clever Name

That may be so, but a starfish had been pried off of the Mermaid queue rockwork before the AP/D23 previews were even over. This is at least partly why we can't have nice things.
This is an example of how cheap TDO is. They should use bigger bolts and stronger epoxy to keep decorations in place!

Meredith

It stinks it's falling apart I have rode that ride too many times and have not been on it since June of 2012 so I can't believe that and it truly is unacceptable.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
image.jpg
full splash mode!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 73

Goofnut1980

So... how can we say it is falling apart (thread title) now that it is fixed and reopening tomorrow? just sayin!

Also, some folks sure are passionate! whew

MerlinTheGoat

Well I guess that's a good sign that they've done SOME substantial work on the water features at least (so maybe some hope for the laughing place scene as well). It had been so long since I saw Splash in proper working condition that I actually didn't remember that there were supposed to be extra water jets on the sides of the mountain drenching the boats as they fall. For a long time, it was possible to ride in the back seat and barely even get misted from anything in the ride. Guess i'll need to bring out the ponchos again!

I'm heavily anticipating this one, tomorrow we'll know for sure whether it's safe to sing praises. Gotta see a ride through video asap!

MerlinTheGoat

Ugh. The canons are back on?

Ugh. Just ugh.
I have to say i'm partially inclined to agree. By partially I mean that part of me would definitely rather get off the ride as dry as possible. But at the same time I can't help but feel a little bit of triumphant hope seeing these water cannons return. Not because I like getting drenched (far far from it and i'd sort of rather do without it, Tokyo's Splash seems to function fine without drenching its guests), but because it gives me a little bit of happiness to see that work was done to try to restore old long gone ride effects. Perhaps not these in particular, but it might signal work was done to the other effects inside (including the laughing place scene).

For no particular reason, I feel optimistic about Splash Mountain's refurb. Fingers are crossed. I'm hoping to read some good reports!
I kind of agree. I again don't like getting drenched. But when Splash is working 100% inside, that's a minor annoyance i'm willing to concede. Seeing the water cannons gave me a bit of a childlike excitement despite disliking getting soaked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom