Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
You hate when people expect an attraction to operate in show-ready condition? Once upon a time, show quality was held so highly by the company that most rides were designed to shut down if certain show elements broke (and wouldn't be allowed to continue operating until it was corrected). These were again standards set by Disney themselves, not at all unrealistic expectations from fans.

A lot of what is wrong with Splash Mountain could have easily been prevented with just proper overnight maintenance. A decade or more ago, it's well known that Disney did away with many of the overnight maintenance crews that would go around and repair broken elements on rides and even touching up paint and replacing lights. It was even a company policy prior to the mid-late 90's to have a special crew go around every single night with a big box of light bulbs and replace any light bulbs that had reached 80% of their life expectancy (they didn't wait for them to burn out, so the only ones you'd ever see burned out were defective and had died early, and were generally replaced overnight).

Prior to about 1995 or so, the parks were kept in such pristine condition that they looked virtually brand new. You had annual refurbs for rides as well, but a huge amount of work was often done to them overnight to prevent problems from cropping up in the first place. Overnight and annual maintenance have been scaled back if not almost entirely eliminated and the result is blatantly clear.

It has gotten so bad that some elements aren't even broken at all- Disney just deliberately disables them to pinch pennies.

Another issue with why Splash is in the dire state it's in now- the last several lengthy refurbs haven't really addressed anything of importance at all. A couple of years ago (beginning of 2011 I believe it was), Splash closed for a month or so to install lap bars on the boats. Throughout this refurb, nothing about the show quality or mountain structure was addressed whatsoever, they completely squandered all the time the ride was down that could have gone towards fixing things. And things have gone downhill from there.

A decade or more ago, you didn't have EMH's and park hours that were 8AM to 3AM, and also a decade or more ago Splash was under 10 years old. As these attractions get older there is only so much you can do overnight. Change a light bulb, replace a speaker yeah probably, but replace an airline to an animatronic? no way. I am not defending mediocrity, but you have to take a realistic approach to this. You point out that on a previous refurb little was done cosmetically, fine. But under the hood everything from pumps to pipes to fire alarms were updated, replaced, upgraded. Stuff you can't see but is still just as important if not more so than a malfunctioning animatronic.

Does it make good business sense to divert all of your resources to keeping everything at 100% or have an acceptable level of show quality while allowing resources to be there for new attractions. Just remember, once upon a time in the 80's and 90's TDO didn't have to worry about some weird person named Harry Potter or an Island of Adventure.

erasure fan1

I'm sorry but I hate when people say these things. Without profit you don't get new things and you certainly don't get existing things fixed. Disney does not take all of their revenues and hoard it into a money bin, they reinvest it and return money to the shareholders to promote additional investment. That aside, I understand things break and wear down, so what is the solution? Close the rides down one or two days a week, or a week a month to ensure they're tip top? That would certainly annoy some guests wouldn't it? Every hour one of these E-Tickets is closed, is less time that a guest is spending in the park and that matters. That is why these refurbs are planned long ahead of time and scheduled strategically to minimize impact on the rest of the park. No one is saying let the attraction crumble, but since there is only so much daily maintenance you can do on a ride that has to operate continually for 12+ hours a day 7 days a week, this is the model for maintenance that works.
I'm sorry but I hate when people say things like this. Why stick up for Disney in this situation? So in the last 4 years in the times that splash has been down for annual refurbs why has NOTHING been addressed? Rides being down on a trip is something people have to deal with. You can't run a business saying "well we wouldn't want a guest to be upset they can't ride a ride, so lets just not fix it. I get it, you need profit, without it you are not in business. It sure looks like they are profit hording instead of reinvesting profits into their product. If there is a better explanation, I would love to know it, because the same things being broke for years doesn't seem like they are very interested in trying to fix it. I'm sorry, but you pay top dollar to go to Disney, its not that unreasonable to ask that you get the standard of quality Disney themselves set.

Clever Name

I'm sorry but I hate when people say things like this. Why stick up for Disney in this situation? So in the last 4 years in the times that splash has been down for annual refurbs why has NOTHING been addressed? Rides being down on a trip is something people have to deal with. You can't run a business saying "well we wouldn't want a guest to be upset they can't ride a ride, so lets just not fix it. I get it, you need profit, without it you are not in business. It sure looks like they are profit hording instead of reinvesting profits into their product. If there is a better explanation, I would love to know it, because the same things being broke for years doesn't seem like they are very interested in trying to fix it. I'm sorry, but you pay top dollar to go to Disney, its not that unreasonable to ask that you get the standard of quality Disney themselves set.
Navin R. Johnson: I've already given away eight pencils, two hoola dolls, and an ashtray, and I've only taken in fifteen dollars.
Frosty: Navin, you have taken in fifteen dollars and given away fifty cents worth of crap, which gives us a net profit of fourteen dollars and fifty cents.
Navin R. Johnson: Ah... It's a profit deal. Takes the pressure off. Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A decade or more ago, you didn't have EMH's and park hours that were 8AM to 3AM,
2 decades ago you had parks routinely open 8am-midnight. And everything worked. There were dedicated teams for animatronics. Show lighting. Park lighting. Projection systems. Not anymore. Show was only second to safety. THAT'S what set WDW way above the rest.

monothingie

I stick up for Disney because as a shareholder I like to see my company being run efficiently. In the real world, not in (the new) Fantasy Land, refurbs have budgets, you can only do so much with so many resources during a specific time. Items are repaired based on priority. These are often things that you don't see in the guts of the ride. Does the lift motor for the main drop take priority over Brer Frog not jumping? I'm sorry that for you having a couple of animatronics means that TDO is treating you to a third world experience.

I guess the guests are also noticing, theme park attendance at WDW has never been lower huh?

If you truly think Disney quality is lacking, and not really nitpicking like you are, I invite you to take a trip to the IOA or the Studios and then get back to me about total show experience. Things like Disney Springs, Fantasy Land, NexGen, Avatar Land, DVC, etc are getting done and showing a commitment to reinvestment in the property. Think of the property back in 1990 and then today, look at the growth and expansion of quality world class attractions and experiences (maybe even Stich). Now can you really tell me that a Yeti that doesn't move or a frog that doesn't speak means that its all falling apart and coming of the hinges?

I'm probably not going to able to convince you of anything, because it's always more fun to complain about things and stick it to the man, or mouse rather than to say whats working out well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I stick up for Disney because as a shareholder I like to see my company being run efficiently. In the real world, not in (the new) Fantasy Land, refurbs have budgets, you can only do so much with so many resources during a specific time.
As I am too. And ROI used to be just fine when parks were properly maintained and projects properly funded, and said funds delivered correctly.

You really think Disney Springs, Fantasy Land, NexGen, Avatar Land, DVC are great examples?

Things have swung too far to making a fast buck and to hell with quality for the one company that was founded on being the best.

monothingie

2 decades ago you had parks routinely open 8am-midnight. And everything worked. There were dedicated teams for animatronics. Show lighting. Park lighting. Projection systems. Not anymore. Show was only second to safety. THAT'S what set WDW way above the rest.

You are correct in that, but I think you are also looking at this a bit through rose colored glasses on, 20 years ago you didn't have a the Internet (as we know it) and a means to detail and highlight every little mistep and example of bad show that we do now. (No digital cameras, message boards, mobile devices,etc.)

Also 20 years ago the parks were 20 years newer. HS was baby, EPCOT had little of what is does now (FW anyway), AK didn't exist, MK was just getting Splash. 20 years is a long time, things will stop working and when they do it will be noticeable because people are actively looking for it. You can't continue the previous maintenance model because it just becomes to overwhelming to be efficient and practical given the size of the current operation.

monothingie

Things age well if they're looked after. See Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. EPCOT Center had FAR more things to go wrong than it does today.

If maintenance becomes overwhelming then why are resources allowed to be stretched too thin?

That's why we have refurbs, as the attraction age, more things break, that's natural. Also that means that routine maintenance may be anything but routine. You are trying to equate that the level of routine maintenance on day 1 equates with the required level of routine maintenance of today. That is not realistic. You will inevitably need more maintenance as time progresses and that means more $$. It is at this point that it become more practical to do a complete scheduled refurb.

MerlinTheGoat

Anyone who thinks Little Mermaid or the Mine Train (or anything else in New Fantasyland) warrant "world class" statuses as theme park attractions needs their head examined. Splash Mountain beats the absolute crap out of Mermaid and inevitably the Mine Train (and i'm actually looking forward to the Mine Train, I just know better than to get overly excited for it). Avatar is rumored at this point to be a massively scaled down experience from what was initially planned (possibly not even a "land" anymore). I see little point in wasting time discussing the merits in time shares, shopping malls, and data mining. They are what they are (albeit hidden behind nice theming). I'm not against the first two, but not at the expense of park maintenance and new substantial attractions.

Splash Mountain as a standalone attraction beats anything Disney has built at WDW since (IMO at least, though I have good reasons for claiming this). There have been good attractions since then, but none have been able to top Splash. I'd also place it above Tower of Terror (sweet ride though ToT may be) and any single attraction in Animal Kingdom as well (the entire park is gorgeous but woefully underdeveloped and in disrepair).

Scuttle

That's exactly right. I knew someone who had to change jobs from animatronic maintenance team to mechanical engineering team(I think). They broadened the maintenance team and now don't have a dedicated crew for AA's atleast as of 8-10 years back.... Sad really, dude loved his job working in Pirates and Mansion and CoP all the time. Many of great stories about his old job.

monothingie

As I am too. And ROI used to be just fine when parks were properly maintained and projects properly funded, and said funds delivered correctly.

You really think Disney Springs, Fantasy Land, NexGen, Avatar Land, DVC are great examples?

Things have swung too far to making a fast buck and to hell with quality for the one company that was founded on being the best.

See now that's the problem. Everything for you is a new "fast buck". TDO can do no right for you. However, love'm or hate'm they are in a cut throat business with the guys up I-4.

Those items show TDO is interested in growth but also adding a uniqueness that is only Disney. I'm not a shopper, but a lot of people love to shop on vacation, great idea, looks nice on paper go for it. Fantasy Land, considering the financial environment it had to evolve from, it turned out great and it's not done yet. NexGen, is a great foundation for redefining the guests experience that's never been done.

djlaosc

A decade or more ago, you didn't have EMH's and park hours that were 8AM to 3AM, and also a decade or more ago Splash was under 10 years old.

Well, Splash is no longer open for EMH, and when TDO decide to get rid of EMH when FP+ is fully implemented, then do we get better maintenance?

djlaosc

Disney Springs, Fantasy Land, NexGen, Avatar Land, DVC, etc are getting done and showing a commitment to reinvestment in the property.

Disney Springs is taking 3 years to build a mall.
FLE is a meet and greet, an omnimover already with broken effects, another Dumbo, a restaurant and eventually a better themed Barnstormer.
NextGen is mostly necessary backstage infrastructure, and a way to possibly get more money out of guests.
Avatar is apparantly been downsided multiple times, and has been struggling for the past 2 years already.
DVC pays for itself.

monothingie

Disney Springs is taking 3 years to build a mall.
FLE is a meet and greet, an omnimover, another Dumbo, a restaurant and eventually a better themed Barnstormer.
NextGen is mostly necessary backstage infrastructure, and a way to possibly get more money out of guests.
Avatar is apparantly been downsided multiple times, and has been struggling for the past 2 years already.
DVC pays for itself.

You're looking at it from a very narrow perspective. If all you want is E-Tickets go to IOA, if you have a couple of 8 year olds who want to meet their favorite character, or adults who want to go somewhere interesting to dine or shop at restaurants and stores they might not have by them your perspective might change.

BryceM

You're looking at it from a very narrow perspective. If all you want is E-Tickets go to IOA, if you have a couple of 8 year olds who want to meet their favorite character, or adults who want to go somewhere interesting to dine or shop at restaurants and stores they might not have by them your perspective might change.
I think the point that he is trying to make is that they are not advancing things in the park at even a normal pace. It's just not a good thing, especially when it appears that 3 out of 4 parks need serious help.

dhall

You are correct in that, but I think you are also looking at this a bit through rose colored glasses on, 20 years ago you didn't have a the Internet (as we know it) and a means to detail and highlight every little mistep and example of bad show that we do now. (No digital cameras, message boards, mobile devices,etc.)

Also 20 years ago the parks were 20 years newer. HS was baby, EPCOT had little of what is does now (FW anyway), AK didn't exist, MK was just getting Splash. 20 years is a long time, things will stop working and when they do it will be noticeable because people are actively looking for it. You can't continue the previous maintenance model because it just becomes to overwhelming to be efficient and practical given the size of the current operation.

I've been online in one form or another for pretty close to 25 years. There were several newsgroups dedicated to Disney park news (rec.arts.disney.parks) that I was active on. Every detail of the descent of Disneyland into disrepair was documented online and debated hotly.

I also know that there in fact were extra magic hours 10 and 20 years ago -- they were the critical part of our visits to the world where our then toddler kids (now 19 & 23) could get onto Dumbo & PeterPan before the lines got too crazy.

Tip Top Club

Harry Potter....mythos....Have you been to IOA? There's roughly two-three e-tickets.

If your argument is really along the lines of they have so much competition they should be more careful, then shouldn't they be ramping up their game more than ever? It's difficult to blame them for slacking off a few years ago, but the second Harry Potter was announced they should have been on their feet creating something that will draw in just as much, if not more attendance than Potter.

Quality is a great business plan, period. It's glaringly obvious that the regular maintenance that has already been discussed has been cut. That doesn't scream quality to me. And Transformers and Harry Potter Part 2 are going to continue to draw more and more folks down the road. What happens then? It might also be worth noting that the first two Christmases Harry Potter was open were the two worst Christmases as far as attendance goes in recent memory at Walt Disney World. What's going to happen when they have even more competition? "We're already the best, just come anyway" Might not work as a business plan for much longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom