Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

dcibrando

I suggest you check out the EE effects thread. EE is missing many show scenes, the Yeti being the most glaring. It's okay if you have lower standards for WDW, but not all of us have such easy to meet expectations.

I have high standards for WDW, but it doesn't affect my vacation when a scene doesn't work in some rides. These things go non-stop 7 days a week for sometimes 15+ hours a day 365 days a year.... things are going to break, show signs or wear at times, etc. just because they don't fix everything the night before I go to that park doesn't mean I think disney is terrible - I have been to universal twice... both times spiderman was RIP for the day, doesn't mean I think they are terrible.. it happens there too

DisneyGuyNYC

I have high standards for WDW, but it doesn't affect my vacation when a scene doesn't work in some rides. These things go non-stop 7 days a week for sometimes 15+ hours a day 365 days a year.... things are going to break, show signs or wear at times, etc. just because they don't fix everything the night before I go to that park doesn't mean I think disney is terrible - I have been to universal twice... both times spiderman was RIP for the day, doesn't mean I think they are terrible.. it happens there too
It's been years since it's worked correctly. Do you expect things to get fixed in years?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

There is a huge difference between something breaking and not being fixed instantly, and, the types of things we are talking about here.

Spiderman was down? Big deal. I would rather Splash had been down then being operated in the condition it was in. Same for Everest. Same for Dinosaur. Ect...

DisneyGuyNYC

There is a huge difference between something breaking and not being fixed instantly, and, the types of things we are talking about here.

Spiderman was down? Big deal. I would rather Splash had been down then being operated in the condition it was in. Same for Everest. Same for Dinosaur. Ect...
These are also most of the major rides in the park. Spiderman is great but they have a dozen other major rides in that park.

PurpleDragon

I find it hard to believe that people take these complaints about a deteriorating attraction to mean that the people here hate Disney. What sort of logic is that? Its a Disney fan site for crying out loud. As MerlinTheGoat stated above, we hold Disney to a higher standard because Disney has always held itself to a higher standard, so when we visit the parks we expect the attractions to meet that standard. So when attractions are allowed to deteriorate and fall apart (literally), we get frustrated because suddenly that high standard no longer matters since the current management doesn't seem to care about it.

Here is a good analogy for you; Say you have always gotten cookie monster cupcakes for your birthday. Year after year you pay top dollar to get them from this famous bakery and they are always perfect, like this:

cookie-monster-cupcakes-2.jpg

The suddenly after years and years of perfect cupcakes, you go to pick them up one day and they look like this:

01.jpg

Now tell me you wouldn't be upset by that.

ExtinctJenn

Just watched wishes and made my way to frontierland for the second parade and much to my surprise Splash has been refilled and they are running empty logs! Perhaps ill get lucky and stumble upon a soft opening tomorrow? I leave tomorrow night so that would TOTALLY make my trip!!

They've been testing the logs for days now apparently. It doesn't mean the ride is ready to open or that everything is done inside either. There's no telling what the current condition of it inside is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it opening ahead of schedule. This was an incredibly short refurb for everything that needed to be done, i'd be surprised if the ride is ready for reopening just yet.
Yep as my posts above say, the entire week last week, all day long, they were running empty logs. Sorry!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Allow me to end this argument that occurs often here: we all love WDW and yes a bad day there is better than most days elsewhere (usually) but we want to hold Disney to their own standards. The company held itself to these standards but over the past decade or so the management teams largely ignored quality. Posting here and speaking out against the lackluster showmanship is our protest against this. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy things or that we hate WDW, otherwise we wouldn't be here at all. We just expect Disney to adhere to THEIR OWN standards.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I've only been around for a few weeks, but I've noticed a few things about these regular "why so negative" posts. I think the division on this site tends to happen between those who visit the parks very frequently and those who have only been a handful of times or only go once a year. Obviously, folks who have frequented the parks over many years and who go regularly are going to become much more familiar with the rides and what should be working. I can speak from experience that if you only go once a year, and have only been a few times, you simply don't notice a lot of the problems that others do. I've ridden Splash probably 10 times in the last 5 years, and its only the last 2 trips that I have noticed anything wrong. I still couldn't tell you which animatronics weren't working, though I definitely noticed the smell and general deterioration in overall appearance.

It can be a bit of a shock for someone who has recently discovered the site, and who isn't as familiar with the parks, to come on here and see so much criticism. After reading for a few weeks and realizing that the overall standards throughout the parks has deteriorated just since our first visit in 07, I welcome the legitimate criticism, even if it can sometimes be over the top. It hasn't started to diminish our park experiences yet, but one of the things that drew us to WDW in the first place was the high standards for quality and showmanship. If things don't change for the better I could see myself becoming more disenchanted, so I'm glad to see folks trying to affect change.

Pixiedustmaker

What I really don't understand is a lot of people in these forums seem to despise Disney comparing what they are not to what they used to be, but your posting on a website dedicated to Disney!! (Maybe their all shareholders???)

People love the way that WDW was, and the worsening upkeep is what has fans upset. And it's not just fans, WDW theme park attendance is down for the last year, we'll have to see what the official numbers are when they release them. Shareholders are probably worried, and fans are upset.

Disneyland Resort has great new stuff, Carsland, PFF, but I'm always surprised with how dated MK looks and how it feels like nothing new has been added in a while. Some parts of FLE look great, like Be Our Guest restaurant, but a lot of it looks cluttered, i.e. Mermaid area, Circusland, and 7DMT won't be the Fantasyland E-ticket we all dream out.

Bairstow

I find it hard to believe that people take these complaints about a deteriorating attraction to mean that the people here hate Disney. What sort of logic is that? Its a Disney fan site for crying out loud. As MerlinTheGoat stated above, we hold Disney to a higher standard because Disney has always held itself to a higher standard, so when we visit the parks we expect the attractions to meet that standard. So when attractions are allowed to deteriorate and fall apart (literally), we get frustrated because suddenly that high standard no longer matters since the current management doesn't seem to care about it.

Here is a good analogy for you; Say you have always gotten cookie monster cupcakes for your birthday. Year after year you pay top dollar to get them from this famous bakery and they are always perfect, like this:

The suddenly after years and years of perfect cupcakes, you go to pick them up one day and they look like this:

01.jpg

One more thing to consider:
The bakery charged $3.40 for a dozen of the cupcakes on top.
Now they make the cupcakes on bottom but charge you $8.90 for the dozen.

articos

01.jpg

Fantastic analogy. Someone give this PurpleDragon a cupc...oh. :)
One more thing to consider:
The bakery charged $3.40 for a dozen of the cupcakes on top.
Now they make the cupcakes on bottom but charge you $8.90 for the dozen.
$8.90? In LA, those dozen cupcakes are going for $40+!

asc341

What happened to the jumping water streams in the "laughing place" scene? I hadn't been to WDW in years before then, but noticed they weren't there last May and November. Also, both times as well, there was a little bunny in front of a hill (you used to be able to see Brer Rabbit's shadow running on the hill behind him,) whose voice sounded like it was being controlled by an angry cyborg. I was really surprised to see the voice still wasn't fixed in November! This refurb is much needed - fingers crossed for a prosperous future for SM!

MerlinTheGoat

Most if not all of the fountain effects in the laughing place had been systematically switched off or broken over the course of several years now. Though I am told that shortly before the ride closed for its refurb, sometime during the Christmas holiday last year, a number of the water effects had been switched back on again. Someone posted a video of these fixed effects months ago (perhaps in this topic, I can't recall where). Perhaps some preliminary maintenance was performed during the extra magic hours when the ride wasn't operating for as long.

And yeah there were also a lot of problems with the sound system around the ride. The character you mentioned sounded pretty bad, but the part I find worse is right as you're going over the second drop (the roller coaster drop as I call it). The speakers around there that play some of the character voices sound like they've got some water damage or something (where Brer Bear says "there's nothing but bees in here" and where Brer Rabbit laughs as you're about to go over the fall).

dreamscometrue

Point is, we're Disney fans, and we complain about broken attraction because we're passionate about Walt Disney World and the standards it should have.

I think it's exceedingly important to not simply complain on here. Each of us has different things that bother us and differing levels of what we deem acceptable re show quality, but for those things that do bother us, we all should stop by guest relations to make our concerns known and send e-mails to guest relations. I've written 2 long letters regarding the things that concern me, and I've always stopped by guest relations while in the parks with anything that concerned me. I feel better when I do that, like I'm doing my very small part to try to make a difference. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom