Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

WDW1974

Splash Mountain is awesome no matter what might be "down".

Um, no, it isn't.

It was once an amazing attraction. Best flume ride anywhere. But allowing it to fall apart and let the logs reek of sweat/BO because they're too cheap to wipe them down nightly ... well, it's been pretty pathetic for years now.

Let's hope it isn't that way when they reopen it, but I'm not holding my breath that they did anything beyond the basics.

MerlinTheGoat

Splash Mountain is nothing without its functioning show elements. Without those touches it's just another log flume. Every one that isn't working is detrimental to the attraction and decreases the awesomeness of the ride immensely. The ride was in a pathetic and disgusting state prior to its refurb and should never have been allowed to operate in such a condition (or allowed to get that way in the first place).

That's how it goes with a lot of Disney attractions. The showmanship and maintenance are (or were) what set most Disney attractions apart. Without the show quality and quality of maintenance that Disney was known for when they built these rides originally, most of the rides would easily fit in at a Six Flags. Splash wouldn't be any good without its animatronic figures and elaborate scenery in fully functional condition. Removing figures and letting the scenes quite literally rot away and crumble is bad show and dumbs down the experience.

All Disney All The Time

I'm sorry for your unhappiness. I wish that I could fix it for you. Alas it's like a root canal, you can either have it done or pull the tooth. <I had 2 done this week; root canals that is, not extractions>

MerlinTheGoat

I'm sorry for your unhappiness. I wish that I could fix it for you. Alas it's like a root canal, you can either have it done or pull the tooth. <I had 2 done this week; root canals that is, not extractions>
Or maybe Disney should fix it since it's their responsibility to do so. By simply using the absurd amount of profits they're swimming in right now to get the job done properly. The problem isn't with us, we don't need fixing at all (nor should anyone WANT to be fixed of such a simple and reasonable thing as having standards in quality). It's a problem with Disney. One that is hopefully partially corrected with this refurb and kept in proper condition months into the future.

Splash Mountain being in the condition it was in was unacceptable and should not have been allowed. And regardless of how fun the ride is or how great someone might think it is, it's an objective fact that a ride is far superior when everything is functioning as it should (compared to a large quantity of show elements being broken or not as they should be).

All Disney All The Time

I enjoy Splash Mountain each time I go on it. I also enjoy going to sporting events when my team wins. And I really like it when my vehicle starts when I have to head off to work, when the dentist gives me the A-OK (which has NOT been happening lately) and when Bloody Marys are made at a bar that has Finlandia vodka. But life goes on whenever none of those things happen.
A "bad" day at WDW is better than a "good" day at work.
I wish you all the best and hope that each experience at WDW for you lives up to your expectations.

DManRightHere

I enjoy Splash Mountain each time I go on it. I also enjoy going to sporting events when my team wins. And I really like it when my vehicle starts when I have to head off to work, when the dentist gives me the A-OK (which has NOT been happening lately) and when Bloody Marys are made at a bar that has Finlandia vodka. But life goes on whenever none of those things happen.
I wish you all the best and hope that each experience at WDW for you lives up to your expectations.

I really do not understand why so many people get on this site and whine whine whine about how terrible Disney World is and the entire park is falling apart.

I rode Splash Mountain 2 years and did not think it was that bad. In fact, when comparing Disney to the up keep of a small theme park like my local Carowinds, Disney is in Spectacular for condition. And I do not mean Disney has nothing to fix, just I do not notice a whole lot (though I've only gone twice in two years). We are planning to go in January, maybe I will keep a list of stuff I see. The only things I can think of first off is the Yeti, and Dinosaur was very confusing to me because it is an extremely dark ride and half of it I couldn't see a darn thing! Oh yeah, and one night the monorail was down...that was a headache, and the buses were terrible that trip (at boardwalk).

What I really don't understand is a lot of people in these forums seem to despise Disney comparing what they are not to what they used to be, but your posting on a website dedicated to Disney!! (Maybe their all shareholders???)

MerlinTheGoat

No one here hates Disney or WDW. Pretty much everyone here is a Disney and WDW fan. What people complain about are the short sighted fools running the company at this time. And these people are in no way "Disney" in the sense that you are referring to.

What people are demanding is not an unrealistic expectation, it's standards Disney once set for themselves (we didn't set that bar, they did, we simply expect and demand that those same standards be continually reached). Proper maintenance was something they were once prideful of, publicly so. The company has now switched hands to a group of people that don't take any such pride and simply sees the parks as a cash cow to milk dry until the udders bleed and the cow is left a miserable shell of its former self. The problem is not the cow, nor the people that originally raised and nurtured it to the healthy state it once was. It's the new group of leaderships. They aren't Disney, and they can and should be replaced.

As someone who has seen Splash Mountain in pristine condition and knows what it's supposed to be like, I can say with no question in my mind that it has been a wreck for the past several years at the very least. I don't know when exactly it started to deteriorate, but it has been in that condition for quite some time. And despite being closed at least once or twice for "refurbing", little was done to correct the issues. We shall see whether this current refurb is any different very soon.

articos

The company has now switched hands to a group of people that don't take any such pride and simply sees the parks as a cash cow to milk dry until the udders bleed and the cow is left a miserable shell of its former self. The problem is not the cow, nor the people that originally raised and nurtured it to the healthy state it once was. It's the new group of leaderships. They aren't Disney, and they can and should be replaced.
That poor cow!!!

It's interesting how there's a lot of fans here who really hold Disney to a standard, as they should, and they're not shy about saying...but there's another contingent of both new people who may not understand the negativity is actually for a reason, and people who aren't new, but just don't want to be negative at all. And everyone tries to coexist. Happily ever after. What an interesting place. :)

Really well reasoned response, Merlin. Bravo.

articos

Um, no, it isn't.

It was once an amazing attraction. Best flume ride anywhere. But allowing it to fall apart and let the logs reek of sweat/BO because they're too cheap to wipe them down nightly ... well, it's been pretty pathetic for years now.

Let's hope it isn't that way when they reopen it, but I'm not holding my breath that they did anything beyond the basics.
They really should require the Ops staff to spray/wipe the logs every night/morning. That's maybe another 30 mins in staffing, if that. No reason they can't do it - I think it's just been so long, they've forgotten.

DisneyGuyNYC

I just can't understand the sycophantic behavior people can have. Broken is broken. I'm glad you enjoy the drop but it's ridiculous to not be at least a little perturbed when something you paid for is falling apart.

No, it's not like a sports game because you're paying for something to see what happens and there was an understanding when you bought the ticket that they have a 50/50 chance. It would be like paying to see the Lakers and having some high school team come out to play half a game.

It's like paying to see a movie and having the entire middle cut out and the theater not having chairs.

There's making the best of it and then there's cult behavior.

tumblr_lz1j3gcPAy1r7xevdo1_500.gif

G00fyDad

They've been testing the logs for days now apparently. It doesn't mean the ride is ready to open or that everything is done inside either. There's no telling what the current condition of it inside is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it opening ahead of schedule. This was an incredibly short refurb for everything that needed to be done, i'd be surprised if the ride is ready for reopening just yet.

That's assuming that they did everything that needed to be done. Hopefully they are. I doubt it. ;)

dcibrando

I really do not understand why so many people get on this site and whine whine whine about how terrible Disney World is and the entire park is falling apart.

I agree... and while I can see things aren't 100% in some places, things like the Yeti being in disco mode does not affect me on that ride one bit. you are moving so fast and barely see it anyways so if it hadn't moved when it first opened, I doubt anyone would be complain about the ride at all... but like you said, that is what some do best on these boards... complain about anything and everything, even when disney does something right they'll find a problem with it in their eyes.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What I really don't understand is a lot of people in these forums seem to despise Disney comparing what they are not to what they used to be, but your posting on a website dedicated to Disney!! (Maybe their all shareholders???)

We're discussing all aspects of Disney on this site, good and bad.....

And the shareholders are ecstatic.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I agree... and while I can see things aren't 100% in some places, things like the Yeti being in disco mode does not affect me on that ride one bit. you are moving so fast and barely see it anyways so if it hadn't moved when it first opened, I doubt anyone would be complain about the ride at all... but like you said, that is what some do best on these boards... complain about anything and everything, even when disney does something right they'll find a problem with it in their eyes.

I suggest you check out the EE effects thread. EE is missing many show scenes, the Yeti being the most glaring. It's okay if you have lower standards for WDW, but not all of us have such easy to meet expectations.

openendedsky

Couldn't care less about logs dropping here anymore than the Tangled toilets.

What I care about is that when Splash reopens it looks brand new or, in other words, like TDL's looks every day.
You hit the nail on the head.

Also, isn't there already basically a thread for this? ;)

You need to go take a critical thinking class if you think these are logical metaphors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom