Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

aka_emilicious

Look at the colour!!!!

I'm not sure if that remark is of delight or horror, but I should note that the color is possibly exaggerated from camera and software...

I'd be glad to send the original RAW image to someone more experienced. I didn't realize I was shooting in RAW until after I got back.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm not sure if that remark is of delight or horror, but I should note that the color is possibly exaggerated from camera and software...

I'd be glad to send the original RAW image to someone more experienced. I didn't realize I was shooting in RAW until after I got back.
I love the color! I think it is looking great. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

PeterAlt

I'm going to surprise everyone here who have been listening to me complain about all the pessimists here. I was one of the first here to complain about the state of WDW and my posts back then to boycott WDW until they get their act together resonates to this day. I posted the message of the following back in 2006 when I wasn't active here and thought no one would respond to it:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/floridians-go-see-dl-boycott-wdw.122048/

I wrote it when my impression of DL and the state of WDW at that time was fresh in my mind. Although I live two hours from WDW, I decided I was going to return to DL (which I did) and never return to WDW until they fix it. I haven't been back to WDW since I posted that in 2006.

After I wrote that, I didn't log back on to see if there were replies for a number of months. I was shocked to see that the message had taken on a life of its own without me. I might even also be guilty of planting the seeds of today's pessimism that (after all the major rehabs that have been made since that post in 2006) has me somewhat confused.

A few months ago, I was planning on breaking my boycott because of everything that's been done since 2006 only find out that today's problem isn't about modernization but about maintainence in general. I'm still unsure if I will finally break my boycott, but I'm leaning closer to ending it, if I see the maintainence problems are being addressed.

openendedsky

It seemed very bright the last time I checked in at the park, but it's been a few weeks as well. As @unkadug said, Florida fades colors like crazy so it certainly couldn't hurt to make it brighter.

Blablabla,blablablabla.

After I wrote that, I didn't log back on to see if there were replies for a number of months. I was shocked to see that the message had taken on a life of its own without me. I might even also be guilty of planting the seeds of today's pessimism that (after all the major rehabs that have been made since that post in 2006) has me somewhat confused.

A few months ago, I was planning on breaking my boycott because of everything that's been done since 2006 only find out that today's problem isn't about modernization but about maintainence in general. I'm still unsure if I will finally break my boycott, but I'm leaning closer to ending it, if I see the maintainence problems are being addressed.
You are giving yourself way too much credit.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just a minor update: had the time to chat up some R&S engineers working on SM and heard that the laughing place (the jumping/turtle pushin' water in particular) is getting a lot of TLC this round of refurbs...also heard some muttering of corporate trying to push the project to open 2-3 days ahead of schedule...only time will tell what's really going to happen...

That's good news. Although, the only other option would be to shut the lights off in there and have it be a dark room. The Laughing Place was a travesty, and IMO, the worst on going show scene problem outside of the Yeti in all of WDW. If they don't bring that back online, they may as well level the mountain.

ParentsOf4

SECOND good rehab. Give credit where credit is due.

Haunted Mansion was the first.
Yes, it appears that the Splash Mountain rehab is heading in the right direction. BUT ...

A refurbishment is supposed to restore an attraction to original working condition. Disney doesn't deserve "credit" for picking up garbage; they don't deserve "credit" for keeping their attractions operational. Instead, they deserve criticism for letting Splash Mountain deteriorate as badly as it did.

Disney has performed several refurbishments in recent years. If, as you suggest, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain or the only "good" ones, that's still a failing grade. IMHO, every attraction should look and function like new after a refurbishment. Instead, we seem get a lot of attractions with ride elements non-functional or intentionally shut down after a refurbishment.

It used to be that anything less than a "good" refurbishment simply was unacceptable.

ExtinctJenn

A refurbishment is supposed to restore an attraction to original working condition.
I don't think I agree with this. Not all refurbs are meant to restore an attraction to it's original state. Some refurbs are simply to fix a broken piece of track or to repaint a certain section or rewig an animatronic. Sure while an attraction is down for refurb it'd be nice if they restored it to it's original condition but the obvious fact is sometimes budgets don't allow for that and only allow for fixing/changing something specific.

ParentsOf4

I don't think I agree with this. Not all refurbs are meant to restore an attraction to it's original state. Some refurbs are simply to fix a broken piece of track or to repaint a certain section or rewig an animatronic. Sure while an attraction is down for refurb it'd be nice if they restored it to it's original condition but the obvious fact is sometimes budgets don't allow for that and only allow for fixing/changing something specific.
Sure but it depends on our use of the word "refurbishment". What you describe is what I'd consider as repair & maintenance. The route of the word "refurbishment" is "furbish", which means "to restore to freshness of appearance or good condition".

When Disney takes an attraction down for months, I hope they are doing more than just repair & maintenance.

ExtinctJenn

Sure but it depends on our use of the word "refurbishment". What you describe is what I'd consider as repair & maintenance. The route of the word "refurbishment" is "furbish", which means "to restore to freshness of appearance or good condition".

When Disney takes an attraction down for months, I hope they are doing more than just repair & maintenance.
LOL ok I get what you mean but now you're talking semantics and Disney tends to use words like this and redifine them as their own. :D

George Lucas on a Bench

Disney has performed several refurbishments in recent years. If, as you suggest, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain or the only "good" ones, that's still a failing grade. IMHO, every attraction should look and function like new after a refurbishment. Instead, we seem get a lot of attractions with ride elements non-functional or intentionally shut down after a refurbishment.

Haunted Mansion was the only really good one. You got back on it after it'd been down and generally noticed improvements. You may have been ticked they removed the original corridor with the spooky portraits watching you or that they couldn't just put the spiders somewhere else. Maybe you didn't even like the new attic without screaming pop-ups and that weird bride. But still, through it all, it was the ride as you always knew it and mostly how you remembered it. It looked and sounded better and there was this crazy new staircase scene. Nice.

Space Mountain was like the same ride with some improved effects and waiting line routed behind a wall in an un-themed corridor. I guess it's still awesome, but it had the same kinda effects as Pirates of the Caribbean refurb. Instead of wondering "why is there no parrot?" or "who is this squid guy and, is it just me, or does this not fit into this ride at all?" or "wait, where's the talking skull?", it was like "why is there a crappy video game in line?" and "why can't I see the ride from the queue line anymore?" and "why am I in a crappy un-themed corridor?" Also, "you know, I'm a purist, but I still think they could have improved this queue. And I ain't talking about some crappy video game."

Big Thunder is even worse. It seemed to be down forever and inevitably the refurb was one of necessity. Like, the track was probably going to fall apart if they didn't do it? Old effects are still not working, except for the water geysers. I mean, yeah, they didn't add Johnny Depp everywhere and the ride is relatively preserved, but why couldn't they fix a wobbling plastic rock?

If Splash is done properly, the difference will be HUGE. I mean, non-basement lighting, animatronics that don't look ratty actually moving and speaking, dialogue in that part where you drop into the laughing place, water fountains that work, etc.

openendedsky

Haunted Mansion really was the only really good one. You got back on it after it'd been down and generally noticed improvements. You may have been ticked they removed the original corridor with the spooky portraits watching you or that they couldn't just put the spiders somewhere else. Maybe you didn't even like the new attic without screaming pop-ups and that weird bride. But still, through it all, it was the ride as you always knew it and mostly how you remembered it. It looked and sounded better and there was this crazy new staircase scene. Nice.

Space Mountain was like the same ride with some improved effects and waiting line routed behind a wall in an un-themed corridor. I guess it's still awesome, but it had the same effect as Pirates of the Caribbean. Instead of wondering "why is there no parrot?" or "who is this squid guy?" or "wait, where's the talking skull?", it was like "why is there a crappy video game in line?" and "why can't I see the ride from the queue line anymore?" and "why am I in a crappy un-themed corridor?" Also, "you know, I'm a purist, but I still think they could have improved this queue. And I ain't talking about some crappy video game."

Big Thunder is even worse. It seemed to be down forever and inevitably the refurb was one of necessity. Like, the track was probably going to fall apart if they didn't do it? Old effects are still not working, except for the water geysers. I mean, yeah, they didn't add Johnny Depp everywhere and the ride is relatively preserved, but why couldn't they fix a wobbling plastic rock?

If Splash is done properly, the difference will be HUGE. I mean, non-basement lighting, animatronics that don't look ratty actually moving and speaking, dialogue in that part where you drop into the laughing place, water fountains that work, etc.
Okay, I'm not going crazy. Phew!
I hadn't been to MK since I was 15? until recently and distinctly remembered that and was wondering what happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom