Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree wholeheartedly. Reports seem to be good so far. I'm getting excited at the idea of WDW finally performing "proper" repair and maintenance on one of MK's marquee attractions.

Please, please Disney, don't screw up this refurbishment.
If they would work like construction crews do under normal circumstances, then it should be no problem to get it all done in time.

It just seems that Disney interferes too often with the workers and make them jump through hoops and go through too much red tape in order to get any actual work done.

Genie of the Lamp

I agree wholeheartedly. Reports seem to be good so far. I'm getting excited at the idea of WDW finally performing "proper" repair and maintenance on one of MK's marquee attractions.

Please, please Disney, don't screw up this refurbishment.

Maybe this will be the first of many "proper" repairs and maintence jobs WDW will finally be recieveing now that George and his ops skills will be injected into WDW. Yeah, if they screw up this refurb like they did with BTM, I think all hell will break loose.:D

ParentsOf4

Maybe this will be the first of many "proper" repairs and maintence jobs WDW will finally be recieveing now that George and his ops skills will be injected into WDW. Yeah, if they screw up this refurb like they did with BTM, I think all hell will break loose.:D
It is kinda sad though, when we consider something as ordinary a proper refurbishment of an attraction to be "good news".

It used to be that anything less than a proper refurbishment simply was unacceptable.

ExtinctJenn

Thanks for the response to the date question... the comments following are exactly why I asked. March 20th seems close for how much they appear to be doing. Don't get me wrong... I'd be VERY in favor of the refurb going longer than planned if it resulted in everything working and being gorgeous... that's why I asked actually. :)

Genie of the Lamp

Closed at Disney World until March 19th reopening on the 20th
Closed at Disney Land until February 14th reopening on the 15th

Oh and by the way, Welcome to WDWMAGIC first time poster!:)

Edit: Anyone here got any pic updates on WDW Splash Mountain?

Genie of the Lamp

I opened this hoping for some new photos showing progress! :\

I wonder if WDW SM will really be finished by March 19th- it sure sounds like theres alot of work to be done.

In this rare instance, the best thing for SM would be to open later than on schedule that way they can give the most upright attention/detail to restore it to it's former glory.

Genie of the Lamp

I agree, but I don't think the instance is rare.

But when do/would you see people actually hoping/praying for an attraction to be on downtime longer than opening quicker esp.on this webboard. Look at how most on here want 7DMT to be built overnight open tomorrow kinda mindset vs. Splash here where the mindset is "take all the time you need". I would think most people who are at the parks now who wanted to ride Splash were upset, but when they were informed by the cm about the condition of the ride I would think they would be ok with it (more serious fans of it would be praising allah and leaping for joy) and move on to other rides. But then there's that minority who would complain at guest relations and in turn they give em a free voucher to Splitsville or something idk to shut em up.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
But when do/would you see people actually hoping/praying for an attraction to be on downtime longer than opening quicker esp.on this webboard. Look at how most on here want 7DMT to be built overnight open tomorrow kinda mindset vs. Splash here where the mindset is "take all the time you need". I would think most people who are at the parks now who wanted to ride Splash were upset, but when they were informed by the cm about the condition of the ride I would think they would be ok with it (more serious fans of it would be praising allah and leaping for joy) and move on to other rides. But then there's that minority who would complain at guest relations and in turn they give em a free voucher to Splitsville or something idk.

I've logged thousands of theme park/amusement park hours in my life. People can cope with one or two things being down, including headliners. If everything is maintained properly people will be wowed by whatever is open. Thus, I believe when you do maintenance, do it right. You are correct that WDW has gotten into a state where when big rides are down, it has a huge impact. The only way they can dig themselves out of the hole is by making each and every attraction a quality experience again and that begins with fixing things properly regardless of time. I'm sure DAK would take a HUGE hit if EE was down for 16 months, but if it re-opened with a fully functioning squatch, they would reap long term rewards.

Genie of the Lamp

I've logged thousands of theme park/amusement park hours in my life. People can cope with one or two things being down, including headliners. If everything is maintained properly people will be wowed by whatever is open. Thus, I believe when you do maintenance, do it right. You are correct that WDW has gotten into a state where when big rides are down, it has a huge impact. The only way they can dig themselves out of the hole is by making each and every attraction a quality experience again and that begins with fixing things properly regardless of time. I'm sure DAK would take a HUGE hit if EE was down for 16 months, but if it re-opened with a fully functioning squatch, they would reap long term rewards.

Well said. As a 19 year old I've only been to 8-10 different Theme Parks/Water Parks/Amusement Parks so you beat me their being your experience and all which says alot. Now would be a good time to really up the quality of existing attractions to the parks being that the majority of its budget is going toward an IT infastructure bonanza. So yeah time should not come into play when building attractions or refurbing them, it should only concern of the highest satisfaction of quality standards. I wish I could log thousands of theme parks but I will never be able to accomplish that feat like you have.

bubbles1812

Was there the past five days. I didnt see or hear anyone complaining that Splash was down. I think most expect a ride or two to be down that time of year. Though I would say Frontierland definitely needs the ride. The waits for Big Thunder were getting ridiculous.

I'd say my one hope for Splash is that they clear the water canal of all the dead leaves because man with that thing drained... There are A LOT of dead leaves

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm pretty sure AK would be devastated if EE was down for ANY length of time. There's so little to do in that park. People already claim it's a half day park, so if the only (major) coaster went offline, what would people do then?

I could walk around AK for hours on end and photograph every single thing, but most everyone isn't a detail freak/photo junkie like I am.

Back on subject... SM can take all the time it needs. I wish we had some update photos (especially inside!). Hoping its open mid-May when I'm there!

captainkidd

I'm pretty sure AK would be devastated if EE was down for ANY length of time. There's so little to do in that park. People already claim it's a half day park, so if the only (major) coaster went offline, what would people do then?

I could walk around AK for hours on end and photograph every single thing, but most everyone isn't a detail freak/photo junkie like I am.

Back on subject... SM can take all the time it needs. I wish we had some update photos (especially inside!). Hoping its open mid-May when I'm there!

The same thing they did from 1998 to 2006.

midwest_mice

I agree with taking all the time they need to refurb Splash Mountain. The AA's really need some attention as well as the ride as a whole. If they gave the AA's new "coats" like they did Country Bears, it would be a huge improvement.

MagicMan88

Just a minor update: had the time to chat up some R&S engineers working on SM and heard that the laughing place (the jumping/turtle pushin' water in particular) is getting a lot of TLC this round of refurbs...also heard some muttering of corporate trying to push the project to open 2-3 days ahead of schedule...only time will tell what's really going to happen...

PeterAlt

SECOND good rehab. Give credit where credit is due.

Haunted Mansion was the first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom