Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Pixiedustmaker

I don't understand how the tarps would make it cooler in the queue area. Wouldn't the tarps just trap the heat in as opposed to preventing it to rise up out of the queue?

As far as the rain, yeah, it may prevent getting rained on but the sweat factor has to be incredible.

I am a photog for local news here in Orlando and work out in the weather every day, yeah, it can get miserable. We just deal with it. But when doing a noon live shot you feel like you are going to burst into flames.

There have been similar complaints about the Splash Mountain load area in Disneyland, i.e. the heat. What happens is you've got basically sunlight heating up the rockwork, i.e. concrete, and it makes it nearly unbearable when it gets hot. Letting the sun heat up the tarps, which is then dissipated to the air and rising above them, would help considerably.

If there were structural issues then obviously the ride would be shut down.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A guy asking a girl out? I thought this was a Disney theme park forum. ;)
Who said that @Arewethereyet! was a guy !
paranoid.gif

The Empress Lilly

Here are tarps in Typhoon Lagoon...on top of the rockwork! There to protect CM's from the sun's rays, instead of there to protect guests from falling debris / the TWDC from lawsuits?

2s7amhy.jpg

Are we paranoid?
Is lolshutterbug the MK's hottest CM?
And is that hot by looks or hot from baking in the Splash oven?
Will she and Arewethereyet hit it off after all?

More in next episode of As Walt Disney World Turns!

Tigerfan2014

Went on splash twice tonight and there were two animatronics (that I knew should've been there) were missing. The first I noticed was on my first time through, that brer frog sitting on the alligator was gone, no audio playing. On my second time through, one of the two rabbits sweeping was gone, but the audio was still playing...let's hope they actually USE this refurb to fix most of this stuff.

RSoxNo1

According to a listener of our show, the jumping fountains are working in the laughing place and the "it's the truth... it's actual... everything is satisfactual" sign has been repainted.

Yert3

I was at WDW from Dec 22-26. Rode Splash Mountain every day but noticed a lot of fixes between the 24th and the 25th. I'll list all of the one I remember.

-The three frogs were working in the very first scene. ( All three were motionless the day before)

-The goose sitting on the bridge in the first scene was working

-The shadow projection was working along with the bunny raking leaves. But the bunny sweeping the porch was still missing.

-The jumping fountains in the laughing place were working the whole time I was there.

-Turtles had fountains underneath their backs on. (Poles weren't visible)

-The Br'er Fox animatronic before the final lift seems to have had more animation range than he has had in years.

-Both Vultures were working. They were working the whole time I was there, but they were both broken on my trip earlier this year.

-Two of the remaining three swamp boys were functioning. (They weren't the day before)

-The turkey with the guitar was working. (He wasn't the day before)

So as I said before, most of these changes happened in one night. It gave me some hope for this refurb.

asianway

Not trying to set up a joke here - but what kind of shape is Catastrophe Canyon in? If the Splash irrigation systems are damaging the rockwork, shouldnt that thing be rubble by now? Or do they do more there in PM to mitigate?

RSoxNo1

I was at WDW from Dec 22-26. Rode Splash Mountain every day but noticed a lot of fixes between the 24th and the 25th. I'll list all of the one I remember.

-The three frogs were working in the very first scene. ( All three were motionless the day before)

-The goose sitting on the bridge in the first scene was working

-The shadow projection was working along with the bunny raking leaves. But the bunny sweeping the porch was still missing.

-The jumping fountains in the laughing place were working the whole time I was there.

-Turtles had fountains underneath their backs on. (Poles weren't visible)

-The Br'er Fox animatronic before the final lift seems to have had more animation range than he has had in years.

-Both Vultures were working. They were working the whole time I was there, but they were both broken on my trip earlier this year.

-Two of the remaining three swamp boys were functioning. (They weren't the day before)

-The turkey with the guitar was working. (He wasn't the day before)

So as I said before, most of these changes happened in one night. It gave me some hope for this refurb.
This almost screams of effects simply being turned off, and then turned back on again during the busiest time of the year. I sincerely hope that's not the case.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not trying to set up a joke here - but what kind of shape is Catastrophe Canyon in? If the Splash irrigation systems are damaging the rockwork, shouldnt that thing be rubble by now? Or do they do more there in PM to mitigate?
Cat Can was designed to handle the water. Chick-a-Pin Hill wasn't.

Yert3

This almost screams of effects simply being turned off, and then turned back on again during the busiest time of the year. I sincerely hope that's not the case.
What would be the point of turning them off if they weren't broken?

MerlinTheGoat

From what I believe has been said in the past (by either Martin or Lee, I forgot which), they do indeed just switch off parts of rides to save money. Parts that aren't broken in the first place. I believe it was stated not too long ago that they have been turning off lightbulbs on the Grand Floridian that aren't even burned out for example.

From the Dec 23 video you posted, there are a few effects working now that were either broken or switched off during my last visit in February (the leap day they were open 24 hours which was my final day on my AP). When I visited, there weren't ANY water effects working at the laughing place scene at all (neither the kind jumping over the track nor the more stationary ones off to the side). There are at least a few working in that video however which were definitely not when I visited.

Either they are fixing or turning on effects due to the extra time allotted by taking Splash off of Extra Magic Hours, or as RSoxNo1 suggested, they're simply switching the effects back on because it's the busiest time of the year and more people would notice things not working (they may turn them back off soon). I'm inclined to think he might be right on the matter, the timing is rather suspect and it makes sense that they'd just temporarily switch back on intentionally disabled effects for the Christmas holiday.

The ride is going down for refurb this month if I recall correctly, so we'll see fairly soon whether the fixes are permanent. Considering that Big Thunder came back from its extensive refurb with major show features still broken though (and some that were fixed are already broken again), I'm not getting my hopes up. Splash has even less time allotted for its refurb and is a far more complicated ride in terms of show scenes (lot more still broken about it as well).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom