Splash Mountain Closing 1/3/11-1/31/11 for Refurbishment

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
The dates of the annual Splash Mountain refurbishment have been revealed. It will be closing January 3rd and re-opening on January 31st. The major change that will be made is the addition of lap bars to all of the logs. Because of this addition, strictly two guests will be allowed to ride per row. Annual maintenance will also be performed.

MKCP 1985

Splash is always closed during that time period of the year for annual maintenance. You can set your calendar by it. If you come to Disney for the marathon weekend in January, Splash Mountain will be closed. :)

JustInTime

Interesting. I don't know if I will like the bars or not. They typically hurt my legs really bad because my legs and knees are so long. Any idea on how much it will slow down loading time?

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Interesting. I don't know if I will like the bars or not. They typically hurt my legs really bad because my legs and knees are so long. Any idea on how much it will slow down loading time?

I haven't been there when they were being tested, but simply by looking at them they are actually a good thing. They removed the handles to add the lap bars and by doing this have actually increased the leg room. It's actually a very welcome change.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Splash is always closed during that time period of the year for annual maintenance. You can set your calendar by it. If you come to Disney for the marathon weekend in January, Splash Mountain will be closed. :)

Last year it was closed in February. This year early January. It does change a bit, but it's usually within the first two months of the year.

JustInTime

I haven't been there when they were being tested, but simply by looking at them they are actually a good thing. They removed the handles to add the lap bars and by doing this have actually increased the leg room. It's actually a very welcome change.

Ok good. Last year when I rode Splash the Handles were dry-rotted and made my hands stink. Definitely will welcome the change. Too bad they won't be testing when we go next month.

JustInTime

True. But this is news worthy because of the lap bars.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Ok good. Last year when I rode Splash the Handles were dry-rotted and made my hands stink. Definitely will welcome the change. Too bad they won't be testing when we go next month.

At this point they are only testing them after park close. I've seen the logs set up with water dummies, but that's it. I haven't gotten to see how the bars hamper the dispatch interval.

MKCP 1985

Last year it was closed in February. This year early January. It does change a bit, but it's usually within the first two months of the year.

This past January, Splash Mountain was closed in early January (just like the year before, and the year before that) and the down time extended into February. Check out this announcement from almost exactly a year ago:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...efurbishment-in-January-and-February-2010.htm

and here is a post from January 6, confirming Splash Mountain was, actually, closed at that time: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3906393&postcount=26

and regarding January of 2009: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3156292&postcount=1

I don't just make stuff up. :animwink:

It seems to me that absent some freak weather phenomenon, you can count on warm weather for about 10 months of the year at WDW, so if you are going to have to shut down Splash Mountain for annual maintenance, January (and February) is the best bet. While it might be warm in January in some years, you can never count on it being too cold to enjoy getting a little splash to cool off in March or April in Orlando, can you? :lol:

True. But this is news worthy because of the lap bars.

agreed - I look forward to seeing how the lap bars affect the ride experience. Will they make it harder to dodge getting splashed? :eek: Oh, I won't know, because I will be there in January when the ride is closed! :hammer:

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the freedome in the logs!

Dont think im gonna like the lap bars!

Why are these being added??

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
For the same reasons most safety features are added...stupid people and lawyers.

Pretty much. If you don't like the lap bars, blame the stupid people who are always climbing out of the ride. They aren't necessary for Splash, but people constantly getting out has caused them to be. As a CM, I am excited for them. As a guest, I sorta am because of the added leg room, but also not.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty much. If you don't like the lap bars, blame the stupid people who are always climbing out of the ride. They aren't necessary for Splash, but people constantly getting out has caused them to be. As a CM, I am excited for them. As a guest, I sorta am because of the added leg room, but also not.

Yep thats exactly right. Stupid guests cause all of these changes.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster

AngryEyes

While I'm not in favor of the addition of lap bars, this change may actually get my wife to ride it for the first time.

joannecasey

That's great about the extra leg room, but does anyone think it will affect people who are "pooh sized" in the belly ? I have a friend that is going with us to WDW next year and he is a very large man with a big round belly. As of our trip last year he just fits into the log with his belly touching the front.

Does anyone think that the lap bars will affect his being able to ride it? He is trying to lose weight, but just in case he doesn't succeed I would hate to see him not be able to go on his favorite ride !! THanks !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom