Splash Mountain closed for refurb in Jan and Feb 2010

ms7479a

I have heard that this refurb will include the installation of some sort of restraints inside the logs to prevent people from jumping out. Also, I have heard that work will not begin on the Fantasyland expansion until the Splash Mountain refurb is complete.

EPCOT Explorer

The biggest problem I saw was the mouth animation on a lot of the animatronics. Additionally the projection of Brer Fox, Bear and Rabbit running over the hill is a bit faded.

The other question I had was in the laughing place, I remember the jumping water going over the boat. Is this something that they sometimes do, and sometimes don't do?
Both were on in Aug...
I heard they are adding an Uncle Remus AA....

Runs for cover.
Read the thread I posted....there would be NO problem....:brick::brick::fork:

Rob562

I have heard that this refurb will include the installation of some sort of restraints inside the logs to prevent people from jumping out. Also, I have heard that work will not begin on the Fantasyland expansion until the Splash Mountain refurb is complete.

The "lapbars on Splash Mountain" rumors have been going around for so long that I've securely put it in my "I'll believe it when I see it" file. Unless the lawyers/insurance/safety people say that it's necessary, they won't do it. It would absolutely KILL throughput on the attraction.

And as another poster said, the reason why Splash needs annual maintenance is the large amount of underwater mechanical systems, more than any other water attraction in WDW. There are metal guides in some parts along the track, conveyor belts, lift chains, a few animatronics, and emergency stop pop-up barriers. Water takes its toll on all of them.

-Rob

ms7479a

The "lapbars on Splash Mountain" rumors have been going around for so long that I've securely put it in my "I'll believe it when I see it" file. Unless the lawyers/insurance/safety people say that it's necessary, they won't do it. It would absolutely KILL throughput on the attraction.

I'm not saying anything is for certain, but my source is not exactly a Disney bus driver (if you know what I mean).

EPCOT Explorer

And as another poster said, the reason why Splash needs annual maintenance is the large amount of underwater mechanical systems, more than any other water attraction in WDW. There are metal guides in some parts along the track, conveyor belts, lift chains, a few animatronics, and emergency stop pop-up barriers. Water takes its toll on all of them.

-Rob
It doesn't need them at all. It's a VERY snug fit.

bryPOD

Ugh, looks like I'll have to call and complain yet again. Every year I go down for the Disney Marathon, and every year this attraction (which happens to be my favorite) is closed. It's amazing they don't wait until after the the thousands of runners are gone to close the ride. Ridiculous...

wedway71

I still remember that last time I went on SM was around 7 years ago. ( I know-too long for a a Disney nut). I was really shocked at what I saw.

The second story of the line que had about 6 feet of graffiti on it. It was in June so I wonder if it was from a previous Grad night.

I was ticked for the fact that I always thought that people walked the attractions before the parks opened.

I brought it the attention of a Manager or lead and he actually asked me to walk all the way back into the atraction with him to show him.

Absimilliard

I'm expecting lap bars to appear on the boats. It would be an easy addition, since TDL Splash Mountain always featured them and the boats are the same. There is a nice side effect to the lap bars at TDL: height restriction is only 36 inches!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The attraction was in great shape recently; I was pleasently surprised. A few AAs mouths didn`t move as much as they should, but BR was hopping, all the water jets were working (including the over path ones) in the LP and all the projections were visible. Long may it continue!

disneydata

-Rob

Water is the big part of the refurb. What most people don't realize is that Splash is drained almost every night. The big stuff (structure integrity, etc) can't be done at night and needs a longer time frame. That's what's usually done.

One of the big things being done this refurb is prep work for a larger refurb possibly next year. The track needs to be adjusted for alterations to the ride vehicles. Yes, Splash is getting lapbars. This picture was taken a few months ago.

IMG_0307.JPG

The changes to the vehicles mean there are parts in the ride that the track needs to be adjusted for smooth operation. I was told these were most likely being added next year or possibly the year after, but the prep work was going on with this refurb. If you knew how many people actually got off the ride, you would want a sure-fire way to keep them onboard.

disneydata

that picture is from TDL Splash Mountain.. Not WDW's..... The boats are completely different.. Smaller, and and more 'streamlined'.... not nearly as wide as the boats in WDW..
No, it's not. I took it myself. I have never been to TDL. That is one of our new prototype logs.

disneydata

Splash Mountain really doesn't need the lap bars.
Yes, it really does. With all the people that try to get out to the numerous false intrusions set off, Splash has a lot of downtimes. Yes they are small sometimes, but they add up and the higher-ups pay attention to that.

EPCOT Explorer

If what I'm hearing is correct, its about to get a little bit more snug....:animwink:
Interesting, and slightly unsettling...:-/
I still remember that last time I went on SM was around 7 years ago. ( I know-too long for a a Disney nut). I was really shocked at what I saw.

The second story of the line que had about 6 feet of graffiti on it. It was in June so I wonder if it was from a previous Grad night.

I was ticked for the fact that I always thought that people walked the attractions before the parks opened.

I brought it the attention of a Manager or lead and he actually asked me to walk all the way back into the atraction with him to show him.
It's not been THAT bad, but not that good either! :lol:
The attraction was in great shape recently; I was pleasently surprised. A few AAs mouths didn`t move as much as they should, but BR was hopping, all the water jets were working (including the over path ones) in the LP and all the projections were visible. Long may it continue!
Honestly, I'm shocked. It looked pretty bad in Aug. Hopefully Maint. improves it, seeing we are getting new boats.

Sounds familiar....Heya, TWTL...:lookaroun:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom