Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

asianway

Obviously, there's an incredible level of profit with a product like that. Much like pins or plush.

I just think they are incredibly ugly ... and I saw loads of them for sale at Character Connection/Prop Control.

I don't doubt folks are buying them, but I think Disney is hoping they're the next 'pin sensation' and I don't see it. :xmas::xmas::xmas:

The ones at PC are the Plushes that were stuffed versions of the plastic ones which failed miserably in the collector comminity. I think they dont have legs simply for the sake of size. How many of these things can one person stow in their house?

I saw a little girl hold one up in the Space Mountain store and asked what it was, the CM explained the collectibility concept, and the girl said, "But what does it do?" Thats never good.

We will see if they are on set #24 next Dec.

EPCOT Explorer

The ones at PC are the Plushes that were stuffed versions of the plastic ones which failed miserably in the collector comminity. I think they dont have legs simply for the sake of size. How many of these things can one person stow in their house?

I saw a little girl hold one up in the Space Mountain store and asked what it was, the CM explained the collectibility concept, and the girl said, "But what does it do?" Thats never good.

We will see if they are on set #24 next Dec.
The plush versions are also 7.99 on DisneyShopping.com :lol: They are a bit odd looking, I agree, but the Monorail one is cool...becuase...it's the monorail. :lol:

PhotoDave219

I think the end goal is that we all want things to get better. We want TWDC to stop using WDW as THE cash cow for the company and to reinvest more into WDW.

And to simply get things back to the basics. Safety, courtesy, efficiency and show.

Personally, i could give a crap about the TL expansion beyond it gets more people through the turnstyles and gives a much needed expansion to that part of the park.

In reference to the lack of animals in Animal Kingdom, I think it's possible that Disney bit off more than they could chew when it comes to animal care. Because usually when Imagineering gets finished, they just turn everything over to operations, but with all the animals involved, maybe they realized that upkeep would be more involved than they thought it would be.

This is just conjecture, but does anyone think this could be a possibility for the removal of some animals for the oasis. After all, Disney has done themed design for 55 years, but zookeeping is a relatively new concept for them.

_Scar

In reference to the lack of animals in Animal Kingdom, I think it's possible that Disney bit off more than they could chew when it comes to animal care. Because usually when Imagineering gets finished, they just turn everything over to operations, but with all the animals involved, maybe they realized that upkeep would be more involved than they thought it would be.

This is just conjecture, but does anyone think this could be a possibility for the removal of some animals for the oasis. After all, Disney has done themed design for 55 years, but zookeeping is a relatively new concept for them.

Uhh, they've handled it pretty well for over 10 years now. I think they can handle it :lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great thread.

Tip of the hat to '74 and Photodave for summing things up nicely.

Thanks for the kind words and for reading. And that goes out to everyone who has kept the thread going in an intelligent ... meaningful way.

I'm hoping to return to the thread in the next few days to sum up a few points and add in some things I forgot to address.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday and didn't spend it waiting in line for Space Mountain ***only applies in FLA.

And an early Happy 2010 to all the MAGICal denizens here!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

I think the end goal is that we all want things to get better. We want TWDC to stop using WDW as THE cash cow for the company and to reinvest more into WDW.

And to simply get things back to the basics. Safety, courtesy, efficiency and show.

Personally, i could give a crap about the TL expansion beyond it gets more people through the turnstyles and gives a much needed expansion to that part of the park.

Yes. Even if you already think of WDW as perfect...why stop this from returning?

wickedfan07

I've seen nothing but birds there in the last 5 years. They used to have Capybaras and Galapagos Tortoises, but I never see them.

In terms of attraction lineup (not quantity, but quality), Expedition Everest put the Animal Kingdom at around the same level as DHS, then Toy Story Mania put DHS back on top. This is reflected in the way attendance jumped when Everest was added. After Star Tours 2.0, there is going to be a much larger gap between DAK and DHS. There needs to be a family Dark Ride in DAK as the next addition (if it's not an entire land), and I would love to see a major animal addition as well.

Australia - This could go near The Nemo Musical, and possibly level Dinorama in the process. They can move the Kangaroos and Wallaby from the Tree of Life and Oasis, and they could also add Koalas.

Asia - There is more than enough species that aren't represented. In reality, they could make an Asian version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris with the animals that aren't represented. Giant Pandas, Asian Elephants, Snow Leopards, Orangutans, Red Pandas, Musk Oxen and more.

Africa - They could probably integrate more animals into the Savannah (or bring back the Zebras). Initially they were going to have Gemboks and Hyenas but I guess containing them was too difficult or inefficient from a cost standpoint compared to other animals.

Australia: I don't know if there's enough room back there for a new lan, even with Dinorama gone. And what happens when Finding Nemo closes at some point in the future? Also, where does Dinoland expand eventually?

Family dark ride: What about something based on The Jungle Book in Asia or the Lion King in Africa?

Asian Safari: What if the Jungle Cruise "moved" to DAK and became part of Asia (as you suggested) or part of an Amazon/South American area (or a combination of both)? It's a concept similar to the Safari without being just like it in a different location.

Just some quick ideas. :)

PhotoDave219

Exactly the point.

IMO its a much grander issue then SSE and all the Epcot fanboiz arguments put forth.

Disney has always been about making every guest feel special and making every experience unique and to keep people coming back. I feel that they have lost sight of their original focuses.

OliveMcFly

I think this is the best post I've read in years on this site. My family has noticed so many things going sour in the parks over the years. I'm just glad to see a fan who isn't blinded by the magic. I know so many people that treat WDW as a god and they can do no wrong. There's nothing wrong with being a little critical with something you love. I agree that SW has stepped up. I attended SW's Halloween event for the first time this year and it was awesome. So many neat trick or treating trails and great candy, not one sour smarties in the bunch.

PhotoDave219

I think this is the best post I've read in years on this site. My family has noticed so many things going sour in the parks over the years. I'm just glad to see a fan who isn't blinded by the magic. I know so many people that treat WDW as a god and they can do no wrong. There's nothing wrong with being a little critical with something you love. I agree that SW has stepped up. I attended SW's Halloween event for the first time this year and it was awesome. So many neat trick or treating trails and great candy, not one sour smarties in the bunch.

Shoulda been there 4 years ago. Much more fun, IMO.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly the point.

IMO its a much grander issue then SSE and all the Epcot fanboiz arguments put forth.

Disney has always been about making every guest feel special and making every experience unique and to keep people coming back. I feel that they have lost sight of their original focuses.

Of course they have.

It's 2009.

Wall Street won't let them. Or that's the pablum you'll often hear spewed by fanbois mindlessly defending TDO.

The bottom line is they get away with what they are allowed to get away with.

I had a wonderful time at WDW. But the level of quality compared with a visit in say 1989 would be laughable in almost every aspect.

WDW1974

Original Poster

You mean WDW isn't perfect now and better than it's ever been and better in every way than anything at non-magical parks owned by SW and UNI?

That's like finding out Santa doesn't exist!:xmas:

PhotoDave219

Of course they have.

It's 2009.

Wall Street won't let them. Or that's the pablum you'll often hear spewed by fanbois mindlessly defending TDO.

The bottom line is they get away with what they are allowed to get away with.

I had a wonderful time at WDW. But the level of quality compared with a visit in say 1989 would be laughable in almost every aspect.

We don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things but we completely agree on this issue.

They need someone in charge of Parks and Resorts who understand the product and right now, i just dont see that. NOt for many, many years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things but we completely agree on this issue.

Really? I don't (for the most part) keep track.

They need someone in charge of Parks and Resorts who understand the product and right now, i just dont see that. NOt for many, many years.

Agreed.

Swapping one financial guy for another doesn't get me all hot and bothered. You need someone (I think I've written this here about 768,545,432 times now) who understands the creative process, the Disney Legacy and basic operational needs of a resort.

Tom Staggs isn't that guy. Doesn't mean he couldn't work out. How many times have you looked at a couple you know and say 'I don't see what they see in each other'? ... But I am not hopeful.

The Weatherman is reigning in his leash and, if anything, I see this as Rasulo was getting too strong with his own fiefdom much like Cook at the Studios.

The sad thing is there ARE guys who do understand and appreciate what it takes to run parks, I know some of them, some of them actually work for Disney.

BUT ... the direction all comes from above.

Buried20KLeague

You DO know what you're doing to '74's ego when you say that, right?? :lookaroun

:lol:

drew81

Really? I don't (for the most part) keep track.

Agreed.

Swapping one financial guy for another doesn't get me all hot and bothered. You need someone (I think I've written this here about 768,545,432 times now) who understands the creative process, the Disney Legacy and basic operational needs of a resort.

Tom Staggs isn't that guy. Doesn't mean he couldn't work out. How many times have you looked at a couple you know and say 'I don't see what they see in each other'? ... But I am not hopeful.

The Weatherman is reigning in his leash and, if anything, I see this as Rasulo was getting too strong with his own fiefdom much like Cook at the Studios.

The sad thing is there ARE guys who do understand and appreciate what it takes to run parks, I know some of them, some of them actually work for Disney.

BUT ... the direction all comes from above.

Who would you like to see?

drew81

Exactly the point.

I agree. I love Disney and will continue to go back there. But just because I continue to go back doesn't mean I always agree with how things are being done.

Bolna

I agree. I love Disney and will continue to go back there. But just because I continue to go back doesn't mean I always agree with how things are being done.

I know what you mean - to a certain extent this describes my relationship with DLP, I loved it at first, but then starting in the late 90s when they were having those huge financial troubles, it lost a lot of magic for me. I found it interesting that WDW1974 keeps praising DLP and how well they are doing at the moment. I haven't been there since 2007, perhaps I need to go back there soon! :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom