Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

WDW1974

Original Poster
Third: Nice report 74! Enjoying reading the bad, with the good. (Since you say that many people ignore you posting good stuff. :D )

They usually do.

Wonder what that says about my 'fans':eek::ROFLOL::rolleyes:

Actually, I don't.

And WDW was wonderful, but more because of the people I was with. Other than a few things like the Dancing Lights at Studios and Castle Dream Lights at MK as well as the new showboat review (which has about two weeks left in its run), WDW was very disappointing vs. what I expect.

They keep cutting back, offering less and charging more.

And while I have issues with the other Disney resorts, they don't. They actually are adding reasons for people to visit and giving more value ... and some aren't even raising prices (I paid the same for my DLP AP in 2006 as I did in 2009 ... it only cost me more because our dollar is so damn weak!)

It isn't that Disney couldn't do better both creatively and financially. It's they choose not to. That infuriates me becaue THEY conditioned me to accept nothing less than the best. That isn't what they are offering.:xmas:

DisneyParksFan1

That's the bottom line of the dumbing down/Walmarting of WDW.

You actually NEEDED guidebooks from the 70s-90s because there was so much to see and do and everything wasn't homogenized Disney MAGIC (listen and learn fanbois). Shops had different merchandise that helped tell the story of where they were located ... they helped layer a visit with detail and immerse you. And you weren't being IMMERSED in the DISNEY BRAND. That's what so many don't get.

Main Street is almost totally meaningless now because it all really is a giant World of Disney crap store. It has facades on buildings that don't synch with what is inside.

Why do you need a guidebook when everything is the same largely and the only message you want to get across is SELL DISNEY BRAND ... wishes, dreams, magic, pixie dust, fairies, castles, characters.

BTW, sent you an email ... :xmas::xmas::xmas:

You sir, are truly a hero! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: Very well said! Thank you.

tirian

I'm not saying I wouldn't like better maps... I would. But I can understand this decision from Disney's perspective.

Also, I think people are pretty careless, and no matter how nice the map is, if its free, it will still end up being littered / used to pick up other trash, etc.

Sorry, I definitely don't agree. Even if something is free, people still see the quality. If Disney returned to resort-style guide books, not shopping mall maps, Guests would probably want to keep them as souvenirs and stop wasting them.

People treat objects according to their perceived values. The current maps look cheap and are handled as such.

tirian

And you weren't being IMMERSED in the DISNEY BRAND. That's what so many don't get.

Why do you need a guidebook when everything is the same largely and the only message you want to get across is SELL DISNEY BRAND ... wishes, dreams, magic, pixie dust, fairies, castles, characters.

At the time, Disney represented itself as (in no particular order)...
• Mickey and Friends
• Animated Features
• Live-Action Features
• Studio Television Specials
• Theme Park TV Specials for Independence Day, Christmas, and other events
• The Disney Channel
• Magical Theme Parks
• EPCOT Center
• WDW Resort, a world-class destination for which corporate America clamored to be an official sponsor
• Touchstone

It's no wonder the parks were seen as an extension of everything Disney offered! There was no reason to dumb down the merchandise and attractions because "Disney" comprised everything from Snow White to Davy Crockett to D--k Tracy.

Today, Disney represents itself as...
• Princesses
• Pirates
• Disney Channel "talent" that's frighteningly profitable

IMO, the two best examples of how Disney treats its public are Epcot and DHS. When those parks opened, they were full of attractions that didn't assume Guests were culturally ignorant. Now Epcot has oversimplified its attractions (new SSE script and Seas) and DHS is the dumping ground for Disney Channel-related crap.

ToT wouldn't be approved anymore. It would be the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody Tower" to attract the young money spenders who aren't familiar with the Twilight Zone.

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at the posters hanging in the RNRC queue. Those Disney Mania posters replaced real musicians.

BTW, sent you an email ... :xmas::xmas::xmas:
Where's my Christmas card? ;)

EDIT: Lest I seem too negative, I do think things are gradually getting better right now, mostly because Guests have hit Pirate/Princess overload. Land-specific merchandise is starting to trickle into the MK again. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
• Mickey and Friends
• Animated Features
• Live-Action Features
• The Disney Channel
• Magical Theme Parks
• EPCOT Center
• WDW Resort, a world-class destination for which corporate America clamored to be an official sponsor
• Touchstone

It's no wonder the parks were seen as an extension of everything Disney offered! There was no reason to dumb down the merchandise and attractions because "Disney" comprised everything from Snow White to Davy Crockett to D--k Tracy.

• Princesses
• Pirates

IMO, the two best examples of how Disney treats its public are Epcot and DHS. When those parks opened, they were full of attractions that didn't assume Guests were culturally ignorant. Now Epcot has oversimplified its attractions (new SSE script and Seas) and DHS is the dumping ground for Disney Channel-related crap.

ToT wouldn't be approved anymore. It would be the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody Tower" to attract the young money spenders who aren't familiar with the Twilight Zone.

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at the posters hanging in the RNRC queue. Those Disney Mania posters replaced real musicians.

Yep. It's all about the DISNEY BRAND and franchises (many like fairies, princesses, pirates, Jonas Bros, Miley etc ) that I couldn't care less about. Even ones I may like (Toy Story and Stitch for instance) are being marketed to a point I can't even stand.

It's a dumber Disney.

A lesser one.

I don't want any damn retro EPCOT tees. I want those type of quality attractions and experiences that at one time only Disney could provide me.

EDIT: Lest I seem too negative, I do think things are gradually getting better right now, mostly because Guests have hit Pirate/Princess overload. Land-specific merchandise is starting to trickle into the MK again. :)

When I get one of those WL or DAK Lodge rooms at a CM rate, I'll be sending that card!:):xmas:

As to the merchandise, I have to admit I didn't pay a huge amount of attention. I didn't see much, though. I mean retro Mr. Toad shirts for girls do nothing for me. I did see more Mansion stuff, most just brought in from DL.

As to the overall lines, DAK still has a lot of nice stuff ... but I don't see it increasing. And I even kind of like the new Studios lines (too bad they'll have to make all new stuff when the hat comes down!) just not enough to buy anything.

I'm also trying to not be too negative. I did have a great time. BUT ... I'm not stupid ... and i don't shop at Walmart ... and I'm very observant ... and I know what the other Disney resorts are doing this year at Christmas. And what Disney is not.

And again, this is a forum where folks get lathered up over a new planter near a very old tired Space Mountain (btw, couldn't they have painted the freaking thing?)

Anyway, this is my last post for the holiday weekend.

Merry Christmas to all. :xmas::xmas::xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

Verbose?

I like to say 'why say something in 50 words that you can say in 5000!':xmas:
I have this problem with essays. :lookaroun :lol:

• Mickey and Friends
• Animated Features
• Live-Action Features
• The Disney Channel
• Magical Theme Parks
• EPCOT Center
• Touchstone

• Princesses
• Pirates

And the thing is...WHY NOT anymore?! There's a TON there. Rope EVERYONE in. Get more people into Disney and the company. Why do they decide to limit themselves to Princesses, Pirates, and pixies!?:brick:

So frustrating. EPCOT could be a brand that's huge on it's own.

tirian

Yep. It's all about the DISNEY BRAND and franchises (many like fairies, princesses, pirates, Jonas Bros, Miley etc ) that I couldn't care less about. Even ones I may like (Toy Story and Stitch for instance) are being marketed to a point I can't even stand.

It's a dumber Disney.

A lesser one.

I don't want any damn retro EPCOT tees. I want those type of quality attractions and experiences that at one time only Disney could provide me.

When I get one of those WL or DAK Lodge rooms at a CM rate, I'll be sending that card!:):xmas:

As to the merchandise, I have to admit I didn't pay a huge amount of attention. I didn't see much, though. I mean retro Mr. Toad shirts for girls do nothing for me. I did see more Mansion stuff, most just brought in from DL.

As to the overall lines, DAK still has a lot of nice stuff ... but I don't see it increasing. And I even kind of like the new Studios lines (too bad they'll have to make all new stuff when the hat comes down!) just not enough to buy anything.

I'm also trying to not be too negative. I did have a great time. BUT ... I'm not stupid ... and i don't shop at Walmart ... and I'm very observant ... and I know what the other Disney resorts are doing this year at Christmas. And what Disney is not.

And again, this is a forum where folks get lathered up over a new planter near a very old tired Space Mountain (btw, couldn't they have painted the freaking thing?)

Anyway, this is my last post for the holiday weekend.

Merry Christmas to all. :xmas::xmas::xmas:

Oh, then you missed the WDW Frontierland and TL merchandise that is trickling (certainly not gushing) into the MK.

My lone holiday post, too. There's too much going on to be online!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, then you missed the WDW Frontierland and TL merchandise that is trickling (certainly not gushing) into the MK.

My lone holiday post, too. There's too much going on to be online!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Are we counting the one SM shirt? :brick: We need way more than that for it to be a trickle...

tirian

Are we counting the one SM shirt? :brick: We need way more than that for it to be a trickle...

—and some new smaller merchandise. FrL has seen the most stuff.

The trickle is easily ignored. We all know the park merchandise is mostly a joke now, with a few well-made T-shirts and lots of junk. Even the Christmas stockings were poorly made this year. I planned to get one for my nephew and finally purchased it at Target instead.

tirian

Such as?! :lookaroun Am I suddenly going to regret not spending more time in a TL gift store?:lol:

No.

You should have spent more time in FrL, though. You could have purchased a lovely woven throw that depicted a map of FrL, or the stuffed Humphrey the Bear that was previously available only in Fort Wilderness. :rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

What's aggravating is that guest spending is down, and there have been consistent complaints from people on these boards about what type of merchandise that they want to see in the parks.

They've started to get some of the EPCOT Center vibes with the throwback shirts, but some of those are somewhat strange. Personally, I would like more subtle attraction specific merchandise. I don't wear polo shirts, but I would buy t-shirts that have a similarly small logo on a t-shirt. Something subtle, but still showcasing a love for Disney or a specific attraction.

One of the dumbest things I've found is that in the gift shop for Tower of Terror they have full size Hollywood Tower Hotel towels and bath robes, but no hand towels. I would think that hand towels would be another subtle thing to have as a decoration in the house.

Lastly, one of my favorite parts of Soarin' is the scents. Why not make Soarin' scented candles or Car air fresheners?

PhotoDave219

I was flipping through a copy of "The Unofficial Guide" from 5 years ago and i was looking at how much things have changed.

Not where things have expanded but what's been cut. Stuff thats different from when i worked there. Things that are no longer "Disney."

I really must lay the blame at the feet of Rasoulo/Crofton.

Perhaps things will change with all the VPs reporting to a new Sheriff but until WDW is no longer viewed as the 'Cash Cow' for the company, I don't see things getting better. WDW funds all those crappy movies we've seen of late and those bad TV shows we've seen on ABC.

wickedfan07

Can't say I agree with you....at all. Sorry.

If anything, I always looked at the maps as a little souvenir in themselves. They used to be huge, have nice art, and be really unique. Now? Flimsy paper, with a generic picture on the front, and really generic map of the park. (I do have to say, the pictures on the front are getting better. Love the SSE one for EPCOT.) Make them a little more high class, you won't have them strewn about, and trashed. People will take them. And like them. Much harder to throw away cardboard than paper. Like I did back in the 90's, and do now, out of habit.

The descriptions are a moot point to me, but I do think that they could be a little more in depth, and not just go skin deep.

Uniform? Perfect comparison for how TDO/Ops/Glendale treats our parks. You DON'T want our parks uniform. You want each one to be unique, different, fascinating. Not generic with pastel colors and a gold little banner. Easier = stupid. Make it difficult. ;)

Does anyone have a scan of the current map covers?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What's aggravating is that guest spending is down, and there have been consistent complaints from people on these boards about what type of merchandise that they want to see in the parks.

They've started to get some of the EPCOT Center vibes with the throwback shirts, but some of those are somewhat strange. Personally, I would like more subtle attraction specific merchandise. I don't wear polo shirts, but I would buy t-shirts that have a similarly small logo on a t-shirt. Something subtle, but still showcasing a love for Disney or a specific attraction.

One of the dumbest things I've found is that in the gift shop for Tower of Terror they have full size Hollywood Tower Hotel towels and bath robes, but no hand towels. I would think that hand towels would be another subtle thing to have as a decoration in the house.

Lastly, one of my favorite parts of Soarin' is the scents. Why not make Soarin' scented candles or Car air fresheners?

Hey, I LOVE my EPCOT Center shot glass, especially this time of the year!!!!

StageFrenzy

My girlfriend and I are always looking for scents that remind us of soarin' they should definitely come out with soarin' scents, or a his and her cologne/perfume

WDW Vacationer

at the time, disney represented itself as (in no particular order)...
• mickey and friends
• animated features
• live-action features
• studio television specials
• theme park tv specials for independence day, christmas, and other events
• the disney channel
• magical theme parks
• epcot center
• wdw resort, a world-class destination for which corporate america clamored to be an official sponsor
• touchstone

it's no wonder the parks were seen as an extension of everything disney offered! There was no reason to dumb down the merchandise and attractions because "disney" comprised everything from snow white to davy crockett to d--k tracy.

Today, disney represents itself as...
• princesses
• pirates
• disney channel "talent" that's frighteningly profitable

imo, the two best examples of how disney treats its public are epcot and dhs. When those parks opened, they were full of attractions that didn't assume guests were culturally ignorant. Now epcot has oversimplified its attractions (new sse script and seas) and dhs is the dumping ground for disney channel-related crap.

Tot wouldn't be approved anymore. It would be the "suite life of zack and cody tower" to attract the young money spenders who aren't familiar with the twilight zone.

Think i'm exaggerating? Look at the posters hanging in the rnrc queue. Those disney mania posters replaced real musicians.

Where's my christmas card? ;)

edit: Lest i seem too negative, i do think things are gradually getting better right now, mostly because guests have hit pirate/princess overload. Land-specific merchandise is starting to trickle into the mk again. :)
qft

EPCOT Explorer

No.

You should have spent more time in FrL, though. You could have purchased a lovely woven throw that depicted a map of FrL, or the stuffed Humphrey the Bear that was previously available only in Fort Wilderness. :rolleyes:
That actually sounds nice. :lol: anything with a Map in it...
I was flipping through a copy of "The Unofficial Guide" from 5 years ago and i was looking at how much things have changed.

Not where things have expanded but what's been cut. Stuff thats different from when i worked there. Things that are no longer "Disney."

I really must lay the blame at the feet of Rasoulo/Crofton.

Perhaps things will change with all the VPs reporting to a new Sheriff but until WDW is no longer viewed as the 'Cash Cow' for the company, I don't see things getting better. WDW funds all those crappy movies we've seen of late and those bad TV shows we've seen on ABC.
Such as? PI? AC?
Does anyone have a scan of the current map covers?
I'll get some up later. It basically has a nice pic of SSE at night taken from the last LAL row.

RSoxNo1

Hey, I LOVE my EPCOT Center shot glass, especially this time of the year!!!!

They have a shirt with all the old logos, that I would definitely buy, except the logos are a sticky plastic substance. I'd prefer they just screen printed the logos on the shirt.

Speaking of old logos, it appears they removed the old logo for The Seas from the Manatee overhead viewing area.

imagineer boy

• Mickey and Friends
• Animated Features
• Live-Action Features
• The Disney Channel
• Magical Theme Parks
• EPCOT Center
• Touchstone

• Princesses
• Pirates

So true! I remember back in the old days when an attraction or new theme park opened, it would be a HUGE event and Disney would hype it up a lot. Now days if it doesn't have princesses, Stitch, or Hannah Montanah/Jonas Brothers on it, they won't spend a penny of marketing for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom