Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
and Disney would hype it up a lot. Now days if it doesn't have princesses, Stitch, or Hannah Montanah/Jonas Brothers on it, they won't spend a penny of marketing for it.
Only in Orlando. TDO like their sugar coating far too much. Anahiem - and the others especially - take a different marketing approach. You`d be surprised at how, well, more grown up DLP marketing is in general. For the better.

PhotoDave219

Such as? PI? AC?

Not PI/AdvClub exactly but thats one of the things. PI's concept was an ADULT place, where you could get away from the kids. The day they moved the turnstyles to increase revenue on the short term from street sales, they killed the entire concept.

Cleanliness/friendlyness - Not what it was. Costs are perpetually cut, morale is cut and roles that were once done by full time CMs are now done by CP's whom appear not to care. The four things drilled into you at Traditions seem to be lacking - "Safety, Courtesy, Efficiency and Show." (Judging by Kevin Lansberry's track record, ignoring any of these means you get promoted.)

Dining - Not to beat the dead horse (because its the main dish tonight!) but The consolidation of Disney menus to be 'meat, fish, chicken and pasta' no matter where you go is pretty insane. I liked having different foods at different restaurants. It was special. Instead, through many different reasons (YoaMD, Free Dining and the DDP itself) we've gotten fewer choices and bland food. And they laid off the master soliminer last year.

Anyways... this is what I've noticed after glancing at the guide.

Attractions/Shows:
MK:

Diamond Horseshoe Review - Its been replaced with a holiday buffett.
The Christmas Parade - Cut in Half, shell of what it was.
Mickey's Twas the Night - GONE.
Tree Lighting Ceremonies - GONE.
Boo-to-You Parade? Never liked the new parade.
CBJ Christmas Show - GONE.
Liberty Belle - Its now a show until god knows when.
Toontown - While its going away for some better stuff..... Mickey doesnt live on MSUSA.
Timekeeper / AE. At least theyve been replaced with things that are open year round.
Castle Forecourt Show - I like Dream ALong w/ Mickey better than Cindybration & CSC.
Sword in the Stone - Does this still happen?
Seemed like there were more M&Gs back then. AM & PM town square.

EP:
Overall, Eisner alienated so many corporate partners....
LOW/ Tree Lighting / Christmas - We've rehashed this many times.
Living Seas - I like the Nemo/Seacabs overlay
Living with the land - What happened to the friendly tour guide?
Cookies - The Nestle spot is gone.
HISTA - why is this still here?
WOL - Lets do something with this land. Really.
Character Bus - The Epcot Character Spot annoys me. I want to find characters at random in the parks. Waiting in the quene isnt special. FInding a bus drive up in China is.

DAK -
This park needs more animals.

MGM - For a popculture park, this needs to be brought into the 90s. Please.
Beyond the Toaster courtyard (Tower/Coaster), TSM and Luxo, Jr., This park isnt for me anymore. I'm all for the kiddy stuff but there isnt enough stuff for EVERYONE.

As for all the branding, etc., I'm tired of the 'Disney Parks' promotion. Its "WALT Disney World" ya know, man behind the mouse?

It all comes down to the little things. The base that makes Disney what it was is slowly being eroded by weak-willed yes-men who are simply numbers people who have never even thought about grabbing a can of VOBAN and cleaning up a protein spill.

Its the people and the courtesy and the level of service that makes Disney what it is. You never used to feel ripped off. You always felt like you got your money's worth. (And dont give me crap about company research shows "blah blah blah", those questions are skewed.) Anymore..... the offerings have been cut. The people who made it special have been laid off.

Iger has put his trust and faith in the wrong people.

tirian

Only in Orlando. TDO like their sugar coating far too much. Anahiem - and the others especially - take a different marketing approach. You`d be surprised at how, well, more grown up DLP marketing is in general. For the better.

Marni, I LOVE the DLP marketing! It's light years ahead of the stuff done in the States. The WDW/DL commercials are very well made, but they don't accurately represent what "Disney Parks" actually offer.

And unlike the fantastic DLP website, the WDW/DL sites stink.

EpcotServo

Think I'm exaggerating? Look at the posters hanging in the RNRC queue. Those Disney Mania posters replaced real musicians.

Just gotta' fact check that, those posters have always been reserved for Music Groups that have been licensed and distributed by the Buena Vista Music Group-Which is mostly Disney Channel groups. For what it's worth, Queen is still there, and the bands featured in the waiting area T-Shirts they added recently are all big name bands and musicians.

_Scar

Clearly you didnt hear me as i said that park needs more animals beyond the damm Safari ride. You have that, Gorillas, and Tigers.

Lets see some more animals.

Asia has a large walkthrough along with the Oasis and Discovery Island where animals are around every corner, anywhere you look. Not to mention Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Just spend 5-10 minutes lingering in Tree of Life's walkways/The Oasis walkways and you'll find an exotic animal to grab your attention. Betcha anything :animwink:

PhotoDave219

Asia has a large walkthrough along with the Oasis and Discovery Island where animals are around every corner, anywhere you look. Not to mention Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Just spend 5-10 minutes lingering in Tree of Life's walkways/The Oasis walkways and you'll find an exotic animal to grab your attention. Betcha anything :animwink:

Poultry doesnt count. If i wanna see birds, I'll go to my grocer's freezer section.

I dont want a petting zoo either. If i want deer, I'll look by the side of the road.

EPCOT Explorer

Not PI/AdvClub exactly but thats one of the things. PI's concept was an ADULT place, where you could get away from the kids. The day they moved the turnstyles to increase revenue on the short term from street sales, they killed the entire concept.

Cleanliness/friendlyness - Not what it was. Costs are perpetually cut, morale is cut and roles that were once done by full time CMs are now done by CP's whom appear not to care. The four things drilled into you at Traditions seem to be lacking - "Safety, Courtesy, Efficiency and Show." (Judging by Kevin Lansberry's track record, ignoring any of these means you get promoted.)

Dining - Not to beat the dead horse (because its the main dish tonight!) but The consolidation of Disney menus to be 'meat, fish, chicken and pasta' no matter where you go is pretty insane. I liked having different foods at different restaurants. It was special. Instead, through many different reasons (YoaMD, Free Dining and the DDP itself) we've gotten fewer choices and bland food. And they laid off the master soliminer last year.

Anyways... this is what I've noticed after glancing at the guide.

Attractions/Shows:
MK:

Diamond Horseshoe Review - Its been replaced with a holiday buffett.
The Christmas Parade - Cut in Half, shell of what it was.
Mickey's Twas the Night - GONE.
Tree Lighting Ceremonies - GONE.
Boo-to-You Parade? Never liked the new parade.
CBJ Christmas Show - GONE.
Liberty Belle - Its now a show until god knows when.
Toontown - While its going away for some better stuff..... Mickey doesnt live on MSUSA.
Timekeeper / AE. At least theyve been replaced with things that are open year round.
Castle Forecourt Show - I like Dream ALong w/ Mickey better than Cindybration & CSC.
Sword in the Stone - Does this still happen?
Seemed like there were more M&Gs back then. AM & PM town square.

EP:
Overall, Eisner alienated so many corporate partners....
LOW/ Tree Lighting / Christmas - We've rehashed this many times.
Living Seas - I like the Nemo/Seacabs overlay
Living with the land - What happened to the friendly tour guide?
Cookies - The Nestle spot is gone.
HISTA - why is this still here?
WOL - Lets do something with this land. Really.
Character Bus - The Epcot Character Spot annoys me. I want to find characters at random in the parks. Waiting in the quene isnt special. FInding a bus drive up in China is.

DAK -
This park needs more animals.

MGM - For a popculture park, this needs to be brought into the 90s. Please.
Beyond the Toaster courtyard (Tower/Coaster), TSM and Luxo, Jr., This park isnt for me anymore. I'm all for the kiddy stuff but there isnt enough stuff for EVERYONE.

As for all the branding, etc., I'm tired of the 'Disney Parks' promotion. Its "WALT Disney World" ya know, man behind the mouse?

It all comes down to the little things. The base that makes Disney what it was is slowly being eroded by weak-willed yes-men who are simply numbers people who have never even thought about grabbing a can of VOBAN and cleaning up a protein spill.

Its the people and the courtesy and the level of service that makes Disney what it is. You never used to feel ripped off. You always felt like you got your money's worth. (And dont give me crap about company research shows "blah blah blah", those questions are skewed.) Anymore..... the offerings have been cut. The people who made it special have been laid off.

Iger has put his trust and faith in the wrong people.
Ahhh...You meant the whole picture. ":lol: I was thinking of something specific, but I agree. It's true. There is the individuality and quality of these parks that are slowly slipping away and being replaced with the "In-out-get money" mentality. It's a shame. While Disney has always been a business and they have every right to make money as it is their purpose...they need to make it seem less apparent. :lol:So many times we can see why things are cut. Why things are scaled back. For the bottom line. It's a shame....and I really doubt that it makes that much of a difference. Doing that extra bit, adding that extra detail pays off...It gets visitors back, ot facilitates your name brand. Even now, though the name "Disney" still is a powerhouse among the entertainment world, it's slipping. My generation? they don't see it as prominent. They see it as another Universal. And while Uni does have it's good points, I am sure, that's not good. Disney needs to be above that. Always. Right now, in terms of being innovative and fresh, I think Disney as a whole is. Walt Disney World? No. They need to fix that.

RSoxNo1

I've seen nothing but birds there in the last 5 years. They used to have Capybaras and Galapagos Tortoises, but I never see them.

In terms of attraction lineup (not quantity, but quality), Expedition Everest put the Animal Kingdom at around the same level as DHS, then Toy Story Mania put DHS back on top. This is reflected in the way attendance jumped when Everest was added. After Star Tours 2.0, there is going to be a much larger gap between DAK and DHS. There needs to be a family Dark Ride in DAK as the next addition (if it's not an entire land), and I would love to see a major animal addition as well.

Australia - This could go near The Nemo Musical, and possibly level Dinorama in the process. They can move the Kangaroos and Wallaby from the Tree of Life and Oasis, and they could also add Koalas.

Asia - There is more than enough species that aren't represented. In reality, they could make an Asian version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris with the animals that aren't represented. Giant Pandas, Asian Elephants, Snow Leopards, Orangutans, Red Pandas, Musk Oxen and more.

Africa - They could probably integrate more animals into the Savannah (or bring back the Zebras). Initially they were going to have Gemboks and Hyenas but I guess containing them was too difficult or inefficient from a cost standpoint compared to other animals.

WDW Vacationer

In response to the above-

Exactly! WDW is not fresh. When I talk to people in my family about it and how there is nothing new they say "Well,you know with the economy..."

Yes,that is a problem,but look at other Disney resorts.

DL-Lincoln,DCA,new shows
HKDL-Light Show,expansion
Tokyo-MI,New shows
Paris-Recently upgaded studios

It used to be that WDW was really Disney's crown jewel. They babies the place. Constantly added shows and attractions.

Remember when nearly every year there was new shows or an attraction?

They NEED to do this. Other Disney resorts are always adding and WDW is quickly losing it's reputation of being the best.

Now,WDW should get credit for Pixar Place,and the upcoming FL expansion,but they've put themselves in a deep hole that will be tough to climb out of.

71jason

Clearly you didnt hear me as i said that park needs more animals beyond the damm Safari ride. You have that, Gorillas, and Tigers.

I'd settle for a chance to actually see the safari animals other than for 20 seconds on a tram with some fake story line about poachers blaring in my ear. A viewing area like at the Lodge would be nice.

But overall I agree, in terms of "E-ticket" animals, there's the gorillas and tigers, and that's it outside KS.

drew81

I would love to see an expansion of Asia-Panda Bears, Red Pandas etc.

I enjoy these trails. Around the Tree of Life they have the kangaroos, lemurs, crowned cranes, otters, vultures and storks to name a few. On the back trail they have the Galapogos tortise, storks, and porcupines.

drew81

I've seen nothing but birds there in the last 5 years. They used to have Capybaras and Galapagos Tortoises, but I never see them.

In terms of attraction lineup (not quantity, but quality), Expedition Everest put the Animal Kingdom at around the same level as DHS, then Toy Story Mania put DHS back on top. This is reflected in the way attendance jumped when Everest was added. After Star Tours 2.0, there is going to be a much larger gap between DAK and DHS. There needs to be a family Dark Ride in DAK as the next addition (if it's not an entire land), and I would love to see a major animal addition as well.

Australia - This could go near The Nemo Musical, and possibly level Dinorama in the process. They can move the Kangaroos and Wallaby from the Tree of Life and Oasis, and they could also add Koalas.

Asia - There is more than enough species that aren't represented. In reality, they could make an Asian version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris with the animals that aren't represented. Giant Pandas, Asian Elephants, Snow Leopards, Orangutans, Red Pandas, Musk Oxen and more.

Africa - They could probably integrate more animals into the Savannah (or bring back the Zebras). Initially they were going to have Gemboks and Hyenas but I guess containing them was too difficult or inefficient from a cost standpoint compared to other animals
.QUOTE]

I would love to see those animals added to Asia! As far as Africa they could add some exhibits to the trails. I've thought African Wild Dogs would be a good addition as well.

tirian

Just gotta' fact check that, those posters have always been reserved for Music Groups that have been licensed and distributed by the Buena Vista Music Group-Which is mostly Disney Channel groups. For what it's worth, Queen is still there, and the bands featured in the waiting area T-Shirts they added recently are all big name bands and musicians.

I didn't say classic rock musicians.

I said REAL musicians.

:animwink:

_Scar

It's mostly birds in the Oasis- yeah.

DHS needs to fix the retro, the hat, and the water ride problem first.

Three words.

Great. Barrier. Reef.

Tiger River Run!

Can Kali be expanded into the new land or is it impossible?

Africa - They could probably integrate more animals into the Savannah (or bring back the Zebras). Initially they were going to have Gemboks and Hyenas but I guess containing them was too difficult or inefficient from a cost standpoint compared to other animals.

Maybe add animals to the stupid poacher section of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom