Spirited WDW Observations, News and Provocative Comments

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yep. It's that time again. One where I try and put forth my experiences and opinions based on 10 days at The Discounted Timeshare Kingdom of the World (Someone needs to tell the analysts that the Weatherman lied about the discounting since today my 10% AP merchandise discount doubled ... on the heels of a 40% deluxe resort offer for Christmas week ... and let's not forget the massive discounts that have already been offered through JUNE!) and inevitably some fanbois call me a hater and the fun really begins.

Let's start with one point. I had a GREAT time. But that largely had to do with the people I spent time with at holiday time. WDW is doing almost nothing to earn my business and loyalty.

In 10 days, I spent multiple days at MK, EPCOT, TPFKaTD-MGMS and singles at DAK and SW. Also, spent time at DD multiple days and hit the following resorts for holiday checks -- GF, Poly, Contemp, BW, BC, WL, WLV, DAK Lodge and Villas, PO (both sections).

First, just for shock value, I'll state the parks that had the best holiday vibe and that I enjoyed the most were --shockingly -- Studios, Sea World and DAK ... and by a large margin. Still, do to operating hours, family, friends from out of the area and weather, I wound up spending more time at MK and EPCOT by far.

There was plenty of news that came out of my visit.

Some newsbits to start:

Former EPCOT VP Jim MacPhee's promotion from a nebulous 'special projects' title to one with 'New Technology' in the title (not that Disney wants you to know what that means yet ... but the initials RFID and DDK seem to play a large role!)

There was testing RFID virtual queuing at RnRC and other 'uses' at the McPooh Playground last week.

Also, word that Small World will be undergoing another large scale rehab in 2010 (no word on characters, was told this is needed work and to redo the queue yet again).

Flamingo Crossings is done, finished, completed and ready ... for tenants ... unfortunately, for Disney, it might as well be a housing development in central Fla that was started before the lie that was our economy crashed because it's empty and will be for a long time to come.

Guest complaints about LoW at EPCOT have been heard loud and clear and the park will receive more decor for the holidays in 2010 and a new lighting display/show will appear in the next few years (but likely not 2010).

A major celeb Imagineer is being wooed by another company since he doesn't seem to have much to do at WDW these days.

Resort load levels have been healthy, but entirely due to massive discounting.

Parks were VERY uncrowded. Well, except for Saturday when MK was open from 9-1 (thank the Mickey Extorts Christmas From Bumpkin Tourists Parties for that) and was what I would call moderately crowded. Other than that, SW on Sunday and CP times at EPCOT (only in that area), parks were uncrowded to near empty.

Next up: a little of this, a little of that ... and why I love WL. :xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
''Where's The Tree, Daddy?''

No, this isn't a segue (or should it be Segway since those things have become so entwined?) to some sad 2009 Near Depression Era tale about a family that can't afford a holiday tree.

Nope. It's a comment I heard from a child upon walking out of TPFKaTD-MGMS earlier this week. What's interesting (at least to me, I'm sure y'all will tell me what you think) is the Studios wowed me in a way they haven't in years. And to be fair, Disney didn't remove the tree this year. It's outside the park near the bus/boat/tram hub where it has been stuck ever since the BAH was dropped down in the middle of Hollywood Blvd to sell more cheap Disney-branded crap, hide the Chinese Theater so GMR could be ripped out and replaced with a thrill ride in an empty soundstage and shove the 'Disney Brand' down your throats.

Still, it's fitting when you put it in context of exactly how WDW looks for the holidays.

If I were writing the new CBS comedy 'S*it My Dad Says', I'd include the following pearl from my Spirited parental unit ''they've got everything for the holidays except the decorations''.

No, my father isn't a Yankee named Yogi.

But the point is well taken.

Kevin Yee touched upon the subject in his Miceage piece this week, but WDW has been removing holiday touches so fast that you'd be hard-pressed to know it's Christmas in many areas.

EPCOT takes sparse to a new level. Light poles that once had garland and lights now are bare (and this is a cutback that may have happened in 1998, 2002, 2004 or 2006 ... after a while, it all blurs and you just wonder where everything went ... that's simple -- Property Control will gladly sell you a fully decorated tree from one of the parks or resorts for say $125). Without the LoW, EPCOT has literally lost its Christmas spirit. They had a new gospel group performing, but I never caught them. If that's what I wanted to see, I'd have gone to a church.

MK is better. Two lands embrace Christmas. Main Street and Mickey's About To Be Bulldozed Tentland (see what happens when you don't pay the mortgage to BoA, Mr. Mouse?) ... The other lands you wouldn't even know it was Christmas. No decorations. No trees. Nothing.

No holiday entertainment at MK either. That starts today, a few days earlier than past years. Actually thought about paying $39 for a Party ticket (have gone three other time, last two were comped) but when even my pixie dusted CM pals said 'it's not worth it', I went with my instinct and stayed away. Besides, you can see Holiday Wishes (with less pyro for your $$$ this year) perfectly from my friend's front yard in Windermere.

Next up: Great holiday entertainment at WDW?!??! NO?!??!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, is all doom and gloom on the holiday front?

Not at all.

First, let's start with the best. The Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights (presented by Sylvania, a Siemens Company) may be over the top tacky. But it is, dare I say it, magical. I caught it on two nights and it alone is worth a holiday trip to WDW for. The synchronized music. The new LEDs. The crowds. It is just terrific. I hadn't caught it since 2006 and it wowed me even more this year.

While something was lost when the old backlot disappeared, it still works in its tighter, more confined location. My one complaint (and you knew there had to be one) is that the park closed at 7 or 8 every night I was there. Since it doesn't get fully dark until just around 6, that doesn't give folks much time to enjoy the lights. The park should be open until 9 during the week and 11 on weekends right through the holidays, so folks can enjoy something that Disney does so well. It might just result in an uptick in food and beverage sales too.

Want more holiday magic at WDW?

How about the Jungle Jingle Parade at DAK? Believe it or not, but I had never gotten a chance to see the entire parade before this visit. And it shows how well overlays work (anyone who has seen the Christmas versions of attractions at other parks know this). But this is a fun parade with catchy music and detailed floats ... love the scent of chocolate one of the floats piped out.

I'll add one quick positive at MK. And that's the return of the Mickey's Christmas Carol displays to the Emporium windows swapping out ones that have been in place for what is AT LEAST a decade now. They could have dusted them off better, but hey, you take what you can get at WDW. It was still nice to see.
Also, nice to see the toy soldiers in Town Square. Nothing major. Nothing like what is being added at the other parks seasonally, but it still is a plussing and I'd be remiss if I ignored it.

Those are my WDW highlights as far as holiday entertainment goes, but I'd be very remiss if I didn't mention SW here. I have an AP (and often have over the past 25 years), but I've never visited at Christmas. And well, I was VERY impressed.

If Disney thinks it can keep coasting (and I firmly believe that many folks, including some powers I spoke with don't) they're in for a rude awakening, SW has stepped up its game and is about to do even more. From the handful of holiday-themed shows to the great Polar Express overlay (and I have never seen the film as I have a strong dislike of Tom Hanks) to the Winter Wonderland ice skating show and holiday pyro, Shamu is going to be a force. While Disney is downsizing its holiday decorations all over (and guests ARE noticing, even the bumpkins), SW was beautifully decorated everywhere. At night, the lighting package and holiday projections set the tone for a very Christmas-like vibe. And that was before I had the $10.99 HUGE turkey dinner (four slices or you could have had two ham or four ham, corn, stuffing, carrots, taters, roll, salad and choice of dessert) ... was going to put this in my dining post, but thought I'd drop it in here because in an era where value and quality are so crucial for many consumers, SW is kicking Disney's collective with deals like this. Oh, and to be fair the $10.99 was a passholder price, regular price was $12.99.

That's it for now ... but lots more to come.

Next up: Space Mountain still sucks (or general MK observations).

71jason

Agreed on SW's Christmas decorations. Have you been in October? They do much the same for Halloween--and offer free character photo ops and tick-or-treating. Really, SW has been on a roll as late. Aquatica is a hit with the public, and Manta is pretty definitively the best thrill ride in Orlando. They seem about two new or refurbed E-tickets away from really giving the Mouse a run for the money (especially if Harry Potter is as big as it should be at their sister park up the street).

_Scar

Joe Rodhe is not going anywhere. Guarentee it. :animwink:

And my last visit to SW was pretty bland and boring, and I LOVE animals. I just can't see it comparing with the 4 parks. :shrug:

And I'm glad you addressed this, WHY does DHS close so early? It should be open until at least 10! I don't get it. :mad:

dandaman

Agreed on SW's Christmas decorations. Have you been in October? They do much the same for Halloween--and offer free character photo ops and tick-or-treating. Really, SW has been on a roll as late. Aquatica is a hit with the public, and Manta is pretty definitively the best thrill ride in Orlando. They seem about two new or refurbed E-tickets away from really giving the Mouse a run for the money (especially if Harry Potter is as big as it should be at their sister park up the street).

Agreed on all fronts. I'd never been to an Orlando park for Halloween before this year, and SeaWorld was VERY impressive. They even encouraged us (18-year-olds) to take candy bags and go trick-or-treating, it was an awesome surprise! (Also, Manta is my new favourite Orlando coaster. Just an amazing overall experience even aside from the ride.)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Great post, thanks for starting the thread. I'm equally glad and unhappy that I wasn't the only one to notice the decline of holiday decorations at Epcot...

DougK

...In 10 days, I spent multiple days at MK, EPCOT, TPFKaTD-MGMS and singles at DAK and SW.

Thanks for the excellent reports and analysis 74. I do have a question though. You seem to have accepted Epcot Center's name change to EPCOT however you still refer to DHS as TPFKaTD-MGMS, why is that? My own opinion is I had no problem with the name change to DHS especially knowing they had to get the "MGM" out of the name. However when it comes to EPCOT I always preferred Epcot Center. Just curious as to your reasoning. Plus it is much easier to type DHS than TPFKaTD-MGMS.

As for your posts themselves I agree with most everything you said.

EpcotServo

I agree about extending Studios hours. With an Idol Finale show, a Fantasmic, Spectacle, DOZENS of shows and attractions, more hours would help guests see it all in a day, as well as giving hours to Cast Members who AREN'T CPs.
:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If more people are in the parks buying things and half the attractions (the shows) are closed around 6 then why is money the issue. Shouldn't they be making money from later hours?
Guests have paid in already. They will buy their merch no matter what time they leave. Basically most of the money has been spent already. Why pay wages and operational costs when the return is negligable? I know... guest satisfaction and value are the two words missing here.

Figment632

If more people are in the parks buying things and half the attractions (the shows) are closed around 6 then why is money the issue. Shouldn't they be making money from later hours?

Just because more people are in the park does not mean that they are spending money while they are in the park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just some quick comments on your comments (next installment will come later IF I survive a trip to the mall on the Saturday before Santa!) ... I usually refer to EPCOT without 'Center' because it's shorter and I have since ... well, the 1980s. It's much the same as calling Disney's California Adventure 'DCA'. As to Studios being TPFKaTD-MGMS, that's actually an injoke that has nothing to do with the park or Disney at all, but about renaming major places/things. It's a pet peeve of mine. I also think they could have come up with a better name than Disney's Hollywood Studios. But there's no big mystery there.

Studios SHOULD AND DID stay open later in December in past years, but now closes early for the same reason they don't show Fantasmic nightly. As Martin said, it's all $$$.

Still, the atmopshere at night is amazing and I just can't help but think they're costing themselves money in merchandise, food and booze by rushing people in and out of there. I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I believe they push closings up to 10 for one whole week at Christmas (midnight on NYE, which is also a good two hours too early!)

I have done Sea World at Halloween before (last year) and while I enjoy that, they really push Christmas to a whole new level. And I'm told that things will be pushed further now that the ownership situation has been dealt with. While I often had to search for holiday decorations at WDW's parks, at SW, I couldn't walk a few feet without seeing some. And the park is beautiful at night.

Oh, and I never said a word about Joe Rohde going anywhere. ... But I also didn't say he wasn't, either.

Anyway, thanks for reading ... off to the mall. My next post will address the good (yeah, there's some of that), the bad and the ugly of the MK at the holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom