Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

StageFrenzy

What a great find! That was part of the sponsorship agreement Walt made with American Motors to sponsor CirCARama in Disneyland's Tomorrowland in 1955, as well as being the "official car of Disneyland". CirCARama became more popularly known as CircleVision by the 1960's, and American Motors got replaced by the Bell System as it's sponsor by then too.

But when Disneyland first opened, American Motors and its Nash, Hudson and Rambler divisions were the big sponsor. Heck, they even parked brand new 1955 American Motors vehicles inside the actual Disneyland movie theater!
55+Circarama+interior+.jpg

Subtle, it wasn't. But it paid the bills and got Walt another show for Disneyland, so it was good.

I can only imagine the howls of horror from 21st century Disney fans who don't know their Walt-era history if TDA or TDO got a car sponsor for something and just parked cars inside the actual attraction. But Walt did it, because he loved the sponsors and was happy to please them to get their money.

You mean like pre and post show at test track? I'd be okay if they parked some cars inside the ride. Then there might be something interesting to look at.

ParentsOf4

I can only imagine the howls of horror from 21st century Disney fans who don't know their Walt-era history if TDA or TDO got a car sponsor for something and just parked cars inside the actual attraction. But Walt did it, because he loved the sponsors and was happy to please them to get their money.
General Motors Market Cap: $53 Billion
The Walt Disney Company Market Cap: $141 Billion

Gee, I wonder why 21st Century Disney fans would howl? ;)

surfsupdon

Nope. Only room is where CC is and that is too big a money-maker. I suppose they could move parking into a structure across the street, but, even then, there doesn't seem like enough room and I have never heard it under consideration.

Thankfully! Thanks for the good news/opinion/fact. Keep Yacht as a sophisticated Deluxe!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Since a Muppet tangent was rocking last night, I wanted to link to this great article that I read a few days ago:

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/06/millennials_just_dont_get_it_how_the_muppets_created_generation_x/

Quite long, but a great read.

And, as far as I can tell, Muppets Most Wanted is really close to it's production budget right now ($50M), but since we know they were all over the place promoting it, it's hard to tell what their marketing budget was/is. I'll bet once it opens a little more internationally, continues to make a little bit each weekend due to being a solid family movie (I know we're just going to get around to seeing it this weekend, and I'm a HUGE Muppets fan), and then once we take home sales into account, this will end up being a nice little success for Disney. Not "printing their own money" Marvel kind of success, but a little profit.

Kuzcotopia

Please note that I wrote "respectably dressed families". I did not write "respectable family".

My father grew up at a time when gentlemen wore jackets, ties, and hats when frequenting expensive establishments. Dressing appropriately was considered a sign a respect.

We live in a time when some people go to their places of worship in t-shirts and shorts.

Jiko actually has a dress code. Quoting from the WDW website:

At this Signature Dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted in the dining room are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and shirts with offensive language or graphics.​

A "respectably dressed family" dresses appropriately for their environment.

Thanks for clarifying.

WDWDad13

Since a Muppet tangent was rocking last night, I wanted to link to this great article that I read a few days ago:

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/06/millennials_just_dont_get_it_how_the_muppets_created_generation_x/

And, as far as I can tell, Muppets Most Wanted is really close to it's production budget right now ($50M), but since we know they were all over the place promoting it, it's hard to tell what their marketing budget was/is. I'll bet once it opens a little more internationally, continues to make a little bit each weekend due to being a solid family movie (I know we're just going to get around to seeing it this weekend, and I'm a HUGE Muppets fan), and then once we take home sales into account, this will end up being a nice little success for Disney. Not "printing their own money" Marvel kind of success, but a little profit.

I think the problem with the last 2 muppet movies were it's just not quite like the old muppet tv shows. The first movie got much closer due to the storyline of the movie and all, but it just lacked a little something.

I would love to see Disney bring back a tv show on one of their channels with the muppet humor (for kids and adults) we use to love

DisneyGentleman

It's that UNI and Thierry Coup are in love with screens and that many who are working on the these projects are, like many of us, old school at heart. They like sets, they like animatronics, they like being truly taken on a ride ... and a big criticism of Gringott's is its reliance on screens.

I certainly see the point. While Transformers is a fun ride, it does nothing that Spiderman didn't do (better I would argue since I can't stand the Transformers IP) back in 1999. While riding them both last week, the same thought went through my mind. Worse, Transformers feels like every scene is the last one.

Wonder which is worse - screens or strobes?

Soarin' Over Pgh

I really enjoyed Muppets Most Wanted.

Going to read the article now, thanks for the link :)

bhg469

well considering the "strobe" I assume you are referring to is only visible for a few seconds v/s an entire ride designed that way...
Well considering that ride has screens as well, complete with animation that is slightly better than the quality of steamboat Willy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Today, it was supposed to be sunny and mid 70s (we call that perfect in Spirit Land). I don't think you'll start seeing the Easter crowds much before the weekend.

Flynnibus sr. Is onsite this week and funneling in reports. Said yesterday was pretty busy. Getting some unbiased feedback on fp+ et. Too

Magenta Panther

Nope. A movie has to make twice its budget to break even, roughly speaking. This film will be lucky to make - worldwide - HALF of what the first one made. It's pretty much tanking in Britain as I write this. I'm not saying it's a flop because I want it to be. I'm saying it's a flop because it is. That's the way the frog croaks...

Magenta Panther

And as for Oswald...yeah, I like the history behind the character. But I'm not an obsessive fan the way, say, some of the Muppet defenders around here are. Why any Disney fan would NOT get a little excited about the way the character finally came home, and wouldn't like him to be revived in some way, beats me. Yet they weep over some other guy's hand puppets. Yeesh!

fosse76

Yeah, that should be an immediate 'shirt on or you are out of the park' deal ... UNI dropped the ball, no doubt. I didn't see that there at all. I would have noticed.
I haven't noticed it in the past two years or so, but I had seen guys with their shirts off, but it was always in the vicinity of the water rides, never anywhere else.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
And as for Oswald...yeah, I like the history behind the character. But I'm not an obsessive fan the way, say, some of the Muppet defenders around here are. Why any Disney fan would NOT get a little excited about the way the character finally came home, and wouldn't like him to be revived in some way, beats me. Yet they weep over some other guy's hand puppets. Yeesh!
See the article I linked above for why.
For lots of folks on here, Jim Henson's creations shaped the way we grew up. Oswald, never heard of him until I heard that Disney got him back. Never seen a single one of his cartoons. He got passing mention in the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit I've seen a couple times. He's a character that has no significance in anything other than historical reasons. There is no emotion attached.

WDWDad13

Nope. A movie has to make twice its budget to break even, roughly speaking. This film will be lucky to make - worldwide - HALF of what the first one made. It's pretty much tanking in Britain as I write this. I'm not saying it's a flop because I want it to be. I'm saying it's a flop because it is. That's the way the frog croaks...

I love the muppets... but the trailer for the movie really made me go "eh, I don't know about that"

the funniest part from the trailer (IMO) was Sam Eagle and the badge size going back and forth - haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom