Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

jlsHouston

Felix is a classic character too. In some ways, he was the ancestor of Oswald. But Oswald surpassed him. That's because the owner of Felix only wanted to profit from the character, and refused to invest in sound and color until it was too late. Poor Felix didn't have the advantage of being the brainchild of Walt Disney...

Wait a minute... I remember watching Felix the Cat cartoons as a young child. I have no memory of watching Oswald cartoons. How can Felix be the ancestor or Oswald?

WDW1974

Original Poster
My contention is simply that Oswald is a part of Disney history and, for that alone, has earned his place in the company. The Muppets and all the other non-Disney created/adapted junk cannot claim that. End of story.

This is my last post on this topic and if this starts going off the rails, we're going to have a problem.

Everyone knows that Oswald is part of Disney's ancient history. No one says he doesn't have a 'place' with the company. You just have a fanboi fixation that makes no rational sense and you won't ever let it go.

Your follow statement is childlike because whether you like them or not, the Muppets, much like Pixar properties, and even Marvel and Lucas ones are far from 'junk' ... this simple thought process you seem to have is if Disney creates it, it is good and deserves the name and legacy (even if the product is complete sh--), but the product can be amazing, but if it came from Henson, Pixar, Lucas, Marvel, anyone else and Disney simply bought it, then it is somehow lesser.

That is a simple and ignorant view ... a very religious like one, cult-like, I'd add.

culturenthrills

The sequel hasn't performed well, no doubt. ... But if you think Oswald is somehow a significant character and not a footnote in animation history, you are mistaken. But I don't want to argue this with you endlessly. No one cares about Oswald beyond a few fanbois who give him much more significance than he has. He is the Orange Bird of the 1920s. The Muppets are beloved by a few generations and wouldn't be in the state they now are in if not for Disney's handling of them. But as I sit here, I just saw a Toyota commercial with the Muppets. I can't imagine that scenario for your wittle wabbit.

I really liked the new Muppet movie. Way more than I did than The Muppets. Way too much Jason Segal and Amy Adams and not enough muppets. This one got it right. Muppets were the stars and the humans were the supporting characters and alot of great cameos. Great fun, good songs, lots of muppet humor and all kinds of gags. I think Disney dropped the ball with the release date on this one. Really liked the movie hopefully it will do better on video.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was just trying to make it easier for "The Spirit" to keep track. But, hey, if you want to keep going back and forth....

Thanks. But the Spirit is pretty much done over there. Unless the folks attribute things to me that I didn't say, I really think they should enjoy their Marvel talk. I just have nothing to add.

I'm just pouting over being in O-Town for a week and not making it to EPCOT at all, and I'll do that over here!:cry::banghead::depressed:

Animaniac93-98

Wait a minute... I remember watching Felix the Cat cartoons as a young child. I have no memory of watching Oswald cartoons. How can Felix be the ancestor or Oswald?

Felix first appeared in 1919, Oswald in 1927. Oswald's career quickly died off after he was "stolen" from Walt, while Felix went to live on in merch and revivals such as the 90s cartoon show.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
First, saw the kiddie coaster running in tests. Walked around it. Did you know it's the only Disney attraction that you can completely walk around? (It has to be true if corporate says so, right?)

Honestly, this thing doesn't impress me anymore in completed form than it did when I heard the announcement. Sure, it will have absurd lines ... and even absurder reviews from Lifestylers. But the biggest positive I see from it is the return of kinetics to an area that lost so much with the subs and Skyway removal.

I'm down here now too. I took a lot of photo's today, the coaster had so many construction workers on that mountain today, ladders propped up all around. Suits up on sidewalks in clumps of brass just watching the work.

Learned, takes a while to walk half way around that dwarf mountain to get to old Fantasyland attractions.

culturenthrills

I was going to talk about that and the mess that the Hub is now in, but at some point, it's like why? How many people here even visited the MK before 2004? How many were old enough to recall when trees and shade and a park-like atmosphere were part of the charm and beauty of the place. I stood on the MSUSA RR platform on Monday and looked out and it was like a clear shot to the castle. Nothing at all to interfere with lousy pics of a fiberglass castle. I say, let the trees grow (like Walt wanted) and if you want nice castle pics, I'm sure @WDWFigment can supply you with a few.

Folks want to rip UNI for things like Potter's showbuilding and all I can think is ''have they stood in Town Square and looked to the right? Do they not see all of those unthemed backstage areas?''

And once the temp hits 80 or above, the Mk becomes grotesque and there is nothing to help cool it down. No their little show trees in New Fantasyland don't count.

I really don't know why they keep ripping trees out of MK. They are ruining that park, not just the hub. Don't get me started that effing Tangled Tower that has ruined Liberty Square and HM. Ugh. Whereas they still seem to understand landscaping at DAK. All those walkways and no shade in Florida is a bad combination. Good I miss BGW.

ryguy

Totally agree about the Burger 21 place, ranks up there with Flippers pizza as Orlando's pleasant surprises.

Totally bummed that the new Muppets movie is such a dud. The first one was so good, at least once a week someone in my family will belt out "Muppet or a Man" or "Me Party" :). My kids walked out of this one and exclaimed "Boring", enough said I guess.

I hate DVC just as much as the next guy but truthfully I think they should add the third tower to the Contemporary. The resort looks messed with the new tower and incomplete. I think the third tower would even things out and make the resort look better. Right now it looks half done.

culturenthrills

Learn your history. See where the Muppets stand in terms of what they have done ... they have been far more relevant than most of Disney's classic characters for the last four decades. And how you are comparing a franchise that featured multiple films, TV shows and guest appearances on major shows like SNL with a character no one but a few fanbois and animation buffs are aware exists shows a profound disconnect on your part.

Oh, and ALF is more well known by many multiples than the ancient bunny. Does your family know you have an obsession with a toon from the 1920s that isn't even Mickey?

I grew up on the Muppets. They are one of the things from my childhood(Star Wars, Batman, Superman, Disney) that have stuck with me to this day. My brother(sixteen years my junior) and sister(even younger) love the Muppets. They may not be as popular as they once were but they are pop culture icons. You don't have to explain who the Muppets are. Yes, there peak is past but they will always be around. We live in a world that when it comes to family fare there are so many choices. Family movies that do business like Frozen are few and far between anymore. We live in a world now where not only is new family fare fighting for a place in the market against each other but the fact you watch classic stuff at the press of a button. The Muppets aren't going anywhere. They will still be there.

Magenta Panther

This is my last post on this topic and if this starts going off the rails, we're going to have a problem.

Everyone knows that Oswald is part of Disney's ancient history. No one says he doesn't have a 'place' with the company. You just have a fanboi fixation that makes no rational sense and you won't ever let it go.

Your follow statement is childlike because whether you like them or not, the Muppets, much like Pixar properties, and even Marvel and Lucas ones are far from 'junk' ... this simple thought process you seem to have is if Disney creates it, it is good and deserves the name and legacy (even if the product is complete sh--), but the product can be amazing, but if it came from Henson, Pixar, Lucas, Marvel, anyone else and Disney simply bought it, then it is somehow lesser.

That is a simple and ignorant view ... a very religious like one, cult-like, I'd add.

I have a fanboi fixation? You're the one with that, blaming Disney for the Muppets' eff-ups. Only a truly devoted Muppet fanbio could still believe that, after Disney gave them a piece of WDW property and 2 new movies. And not gotten scratch in return, I might add. Yet you defend them. How rational is that?

And you started this by insulting me. And by the way, I do my share of criticizing Disney stuff. I didn't much like "Frozen". I ripped it pretty bad in a review I wrote here. Look it up. So much for my blind devotion to Disney. And that "Frozen" critique is just for starters. I also wrote that I think the Little Mermaid ride is, and I quote, "crap". And so on. So don't lump me into your condescending view of Disney devotees. I love Disney when it lives up to its legacy, and I don't hesitate to criticize if it, in my view, doesn't. And Disney buying up old, spent, already-developed entities like the Muppets is hardly part of Walt Disney's legacy.

Nice talking to ya.

stevehousse

I loved the Felix movie as a kid! :)

Aside from that, where oh where is that new DVC hotel going??? They really don't need more hotels, there r already way too many! Has there ever been any thought to maybe "remodeling" an existing hotel into a new one that doesn't have great room occupancy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom