Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's more about colab advertising. Shared costs to get a common objective - eyeballs.

Think about it.. ignoring the movie in theaters.. do you think that company sat down and said "you know what we really need... the muppets in our commerical". It's a 'push' from Disney's side to get the characters into those ads.
I agree that Disney likely offered some form of swap here. What I'm trying to get my head around is what it means on the advertising budget for a movie like this. It seems like Disney was advertising this movie all over the place, with a huge advertising budget. BUT, a lot of this advertising was 3rd party. Just trying think a little what that means in terms of advertising dollars the film likely had to make back.

dreamfinder

Here's a question I'd be interested in finding out the answer to, and was not getting much success googling.
So far, the Muppets were used in multiple commercials from other companies this year. Toyota, Lipton, Go-Gurt, and Subway to name a few I've found on a Wiki list.
These commericals were for another company, advertising their product. They also got to get a little tag-line in of "Go and see Muppets Most Wanted" on the end of these.
My quesiton.
Does Disney PAY for this, or does Disney GET PAID for these? By allowing the Muppets to be used in the commercials of another company, is Disney earning money off this property that are related to the movie, yet not directly tied to the movie? Is it a swap (ie, we'll let you use Kermit for free, as long as you put a movie tag in the end)?
I'm kind of curious here, because the Muppets were everywhere leading up to this film, but how much of it was actual marketing spend from Disney, and how much was absorbed via other methods?

The company being advertised hopes its a mutually beneficial agreement. By footing the bill for the commercial starring the Muppets, they hope to ride on the coat tails of the movie success/talk about the characters. Much in the same way McD's/BK/Subway do promo deals with the latest kids movie to make toys around that theme. Disney may very well let them use the characters for less than they would otherwise to get the brand back out and about to help push the movie. Those are all the licensing/tie in deals that let the studios actually make money on most films, yet still be able to show that the movie itself was a loss, and claim all sorts of deductions/under pay anyone who had a bad agent.

R W B

Really? I love Coke Freestyle machines and wish there were a lot more of them. I would even consider paying for a resort mug if Disney got them. Of course, if Disney had them, the cost of a resort mug would probably be $50.
Well I guess where wdw would lose my money, they would gain yours with the resort mugs lol.

I prefer my regular coke to taste like coke and not have a hint of orange or blue poweraid in it, just personal preference lol.

dreamfinder

I agree that Disney likely offered some form of swap here. What I'm trying to get my head around is what it means on the advertising budget for a movie like this. It seems like Disney was advertising this movie all over the place, with a huge advertising budget. BUT, a lot of this advertising was 3rd party. Just trying think a little what that means in terms of advertising dollars the film likely had to make back.

I'd wager that the costs for most of these ads being shown now are trivial compared to what they spent to be the official Super Bowl PreShow sponsored by Muppets Most Wanted. (Or whatever the official title was)

flynnibus

Premium Member

No one gives away what they know they can collect for - assume all co-branded advertising is still PAID advertising. Disney still splurges like crazy on marketing it's films... they know they gotta shovel it down people's throats.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, the room count is already ridiculous. All the deluxes except yacht club will soon be propped up by DVC maintenance fees though so you just gotta wonder where they go next. The mono rail sells as evidenced by BLT. The question is would Epcot sell. It's a long way from MK.
I think it will sell. It's impossible to get a DVC room at BCV or BWV during F&W (especially on the weekends). Now if they follow through with the rumor and have F&W twice a year it will cover 1/3 of the calendar with the other 2/3 being summer, holidays and spring break. It could have a negative impact on the resale value of BWV but Disney doesn't care about that.

@WDW1974 is the EPCOT DVC going in the parking lot or is there still a plan out there to build behind the countries?

bhg469

Unrelated.... Apparently the "Angry Disney Nerd" Sean (of Suburban Chicago) is screencapping our posts and putting them on his twitter feed. Just so you kids are aware, everything we say is being watched by the overly obsessed.
I've been looking for another reason to bang my head against a wall, care to share his twitter name in a pm?

truecoat

No one gives away what they know they can collect for - assume all co-branded advertising is still PAID advertising. Disney still splurges like crazy on marketing it's films... they know they gotta shovel it down people's throats.

True, but I still couldn't tell you the plot of Muppets Most Wanted.

lazyboy97o

And as for Oswald...yeah, I like the history behind the character. But I'm not an obsessive fan the way, say, some of the Muppet defenders around here are. Why any Disney fan would NOT get a little excited about the way the character finally came home, and wouldn't like him to be revived in some way, beats me. Yet they weep over some other guy's hand puppets. Yeesh!
Those hand puppets were more than mildly successful like Oswald. The character is only important to Disney history because it taught the Disney brothers not to get into stupid deals (they knew all along that they did not own Oswald) and that they would need a stronger niche (personality) to be more than just a factory.

Sped2424

And as for Oswald...yeah, I like the history behind the character. But I'm not an obsessive fan the way, say, some of the Muppet defenders around here are. Why any Disney fan would NOT get a little excited about the way the character finally came home, and wouldn't like him to be revived in some way, beats me. Yet they weep over some other guy's hand puppets. Yeesh!
maxresdefault.jpg

Irie

Probably because they grew up watching the muppets as opposed to a character that has not seen the light of day prior to WWII! I don't like or cherish a character based on who created it. I like characters that are entertaining.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And then there's this little gem and video proof, which perfectly sums up the lunacy.

From an Orlando lifestyle blogger. And after 8 months on YouTube it's racked up 1,445 views. I rest my case.

When the wait staff is dressed better than the guests at an upscale dining establishment, somethings wrong. Would it kill some of the guys to button up their shirt? Nothing says "professional" like plaid cargo shorts and a wrinkled gap shirt. Have some respect for the establishment you are visiting....and yourself. And some of those plus sized woman could wear a top that does not plunge so low that 90% of their bosoms are exposed and they should leave the huge canvas tote bags at home next time, or at least in the car. What do you need a huge bag for when visiting a restaurant?

Sorry for the rant, but my wife and I enjoy dining at some of Disneys "finer" establishments but often find the experience dulled by sitting next to someone who looks like they just left Blizzard Beach or their child is watching cartoons on their Ipad at full volume. We mostly stick to QS now. Thanks Disney for not enforcing your policies, at least im saving money now!

prophecy0

Please note that I wrote "respectably dressed families". I did not write "respectable family".

My father grew up at a time when gentlemen wore jackets, ties, and hats when frequenting expensive establishments. Dressing appropriately was considered a sign a respect.

We live in a time when some people go to their places of worship in t-shirts and shorts.

Jiko actually has a dress code. Quoting from the WDW website:

At this Signature Dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted in the dining room are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and shirts with offensive language or graphics.​

A "respectably dressed family" dresses appropriately for their environment.

I know this is from roughly 10 pages ago, but I've been lurking on these boards thus far and decided I need to make my first post.

My wife and I last visited WDW in 2012. We dined at numerous different places on-site, one of which was Jiko. We had been sure to "dress up" at all restaurants for which it was appropriate, but somehow I completely forgot to check the dress code at Jiko. We went there after a long day at Animal Kingdom, both of us in shorts and t-shirts. I quickly realized how under dressed we were after seeing that all of the other patrons were wearing nice dresses, suits, or at least business casual attire.

We had reservations so we just sucked up our shame and had dinner. The food and service was fantastic, and I tipped extra to try and make up for our awful appearance. I will be sure not to make a similar mistake in the future, as I agree that you should dress appropriately for all occasions.

ptaylor

Premium Member
If you haven't already lost all faith in humanity...

#disneysmmoms

All comped. All that money could have gone elsewhere...
It could have gone to the cast for starters. They don't even have a MagicBand for heavens sake - and yet they are all supposed to "band' together. No wonder cast moral is so low - they see all the money and effort going to the freeloaders AKA social media leaches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom